Anyone moved from MN to TX

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Anyone moved from MN to TX

Postby newkidontheblock » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi:

I have lived in MN for the past 20 years. I have liked living there. I am in low 40's and as I get older the long cold winters do bother me but not enough to justify moving.
I have an opportunity to move to Texas with my current employer. I can choose any place to live but most likely it will have to be Dallas, Houston, San Antonio as that is where most of our clients are.

My income will stay the same and my employer will only cover the moving charges. I will have to sell my own home. I am locked into 15 year fixed loan at 2.875%. Since I bought the home 5 years ago I am sure I will lose money when I sell it. We have great school system, parks, health care system and quality of life. I have a great circle of friends in MN that I have know for a long time.

The one reason I am even considering this option is because I am in sales and South Central District has a lot of Oil and Gas clients with deep pockets so sales guys in my team do very well in Texas. Another reason is that my wife does not like living in MN as she grew up in east coast and craves living in a place with more diversity.

I used to be self employed so I have built up a big network of associates and clients so if I even decide to leave my current employer it will be super easy to get an independent consulting contract.

I have only been to Dallas just once and it looked like any other big city. My wife works for a medical device company and there are many opportunities for her profession in MN.
She can find work in drug or device companies. I am trying to determine what her chances of landing a good job will be in Texas.

The position that is open is in great demand so I only have until Monday morning to make up mind. I know I can compare cost of living comparison calculators. I can probably learn about school districts and nice places to live etc. However I am looking for anyone with similar experience.
TX does not have state income tax but I am sure it will have other type of taxes.

I general I don't believe in moving to a new location for a Job. Jobs can come and go so one should live in a place they like. I am in IT so finding job is typically not a problem.

Let me know if you have any advice for me.

Thanks
newkidontheblock

Re: Anyone moved from MN to TX

Postby porcupine » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:43 pm

IT hubs in TX include (among others) Austin, Dallas and Houston. However, Houston might get very humid and I doubt if you will like it unless you enjoy humidity! If you move to San Antonio with your employer, you might search for a job in Austin (if needed). Or you could live halfway between them and use the new 85mph toll road to access either (again, if and as needed). Or you could live in Dallas/Fort Worth area, which is a great place to be as well.

Only (big) drawback to living in Texas is if you are a fan of mountains. It will be a hike to get to any place with mountains from any of the TX cities mentioned in your OP.

- Porcupine
porcupine

Postby vesalius » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Out of Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, I would personally rank them San Antonio, Dallas at 1 and 2 with Houston a distant 3rd.

San Antonio, has a nice river walk area and a decent live music scene, although not as big as Austin. SA is very near the Texas Hill country, which might appeal to you.

Texas has a state sales tax, anywhere from 6-8%, instead of an income tax.
vesalius

Postby Frobie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Which Texas city is "the best" is a source of endless debate, so I would not expect you to find anything resembling consensus.

I am from Ohio originally and have been in Houston since 1999 (after a 5-year stint in South Carolina). I like it a lot. Have not lived in Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio but have visited each of them and I like them too.

Houston is indeed the most humid (summers are awful but the winters are great--it's just the inverse of what you're used to). It is also the largest and most diverse. It just depends on what's important to you.
Frobie

Postby Rob54keep » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:41 pm

I moved from Wisconsin to Texas over 30 years ago but still go back to Wisconsin every year for family visits. I have lived in both Houston and Dallas. Dallas has hot-dry summers whereas Houston has hot-humid summers (this is a big difference depending on what you can deal with). Dallas has more of the 4 seasons that you are more familiar with whereas Houston has only hot & cool summer climates. Houston is probably a bit cheaper to live in but not really that much different. I personally prefer Dallas because of the 4 seaosns and closer drive to Wisconsin. San Antonio is ok but also more humid. I have friends that really enjoy living there. Both Dallas & Houston are big cities and with that come traffic problems.
Rob54keep

Postby William4u » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Personally, I have lived in both states, and think the quality of life is MUCH higher in MN than TX.

By education, health, and other rankings, MN overall does much better than TX.

For example...

1. MN is ranked 5th in health, and TX is 40th (out of 50 states). http://www.americashealthrankings.org/
2. MN is ranked 2nd in math and science education, and TX is 31st. http://www.livescience.com/14950-state- ... unced.html

I would take a lower paycheck to live in MN over TX anyday just for the quality of life difference. But you are going to have the same paycheck. It is no contest, IMHO, especially since you don't mind the winters in MN.
William4u

Postby chaz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:22 pm

I wouldn't sell my house for a loss if there wasn't a concomitant salary raise.
Chaz

“Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby Jerilynn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:50 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:Hi:

I have lived in MN for the past 20 years. I have liked living there. I am in low 40's and as I get older the long cold winters do bother me but not enough to justify moving.
I have an opportunity to move to Texas with my current employer. I can choose any place to live but most likely it will have to be Dallas, Houston, San Antonio as that is where most of our clients are.

Houston is too humid.

Dallas is too small.

I'd pick San Antonio.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Jerilynn

Postby HueyLD » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:55 pm

Jerilynn wrote:Dallas is too small.

Are you serious?
HueyLD

Postby vesalius » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:02 pm

William4u wrote:Personally, I have lived in both states, and think the quality of life is MUCH higher in MN than TX.

By education, health, and other rankings, MN overall does much better than TX.

For example...

1. MN is ranked 5th in health, and TX is 40th (out of 50 states). http://www.americashealthrankings.org/
2. MN is ranked 2nd in math and science education, and TX is 31st. http://www.livescience.com/14950-state- ... unced.html

I would take a lower paycheck to live in MN over TX anyday just for the quality of life difference. But you are going to have the same paycheck. It is no contest, IMHO, especially since you don't mind the winters in MN.

Until I looked into the numbers I used to believe your second point as well. I have since come to the conclusion that the overall average differences are almost completely explained by states like MN and WI being significantly less diverse than TX. Control for ethnicity and make those same comparisons and TX does as well or better then MN, in science, reading and math, at least as measured by standardized test.

The Data is from the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP). The NAEP is an annual standardized test given to 4th and 8th graders around the country to measure proficiency in math, science, and reading. Participation is fairly universal; if you've had a 4th or 8th grader in the last few years, you're probably familiar with it. Results are compiled on the NAEP website, broken down by grade, state, subject and ethnicity. If you follow the links above, you can easily compare scores in different states for all three subjects. Simply select from the available ethnicities in the tabs toward the top of the page, with a mouse click, and then simply hover your mouse pointer over each state to see what their average score is as compared to the National average.

You will see that although overall Texas is behind MN, in each ethnicity measured Texas for the most part scores higher than MN. Most places refuse to make public education data broken down this way, but it can be very helpful as long as people with real prejudices do not try and use it.

I would expect that the healthcare comparison is also skewed for similar reasons.
vesalius

Postby Jerilynn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:41 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Jerilynn wrote:Dallas is too small.

Are you serious?

I'll leave that for the reader to decide. San Antonio is larger than Dallas.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Jerilynn

Postby jbmitt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Jerilynn wrote:Re: Anyone moved from MN to TX
by Jerilynn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:41 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Jerilynn wrote:
Dallas is too small.

Are you serious?

City proper perhaps, the metroplex is enormous... I relocated to Houston from the Midwest. Enjoyed Texas, but still identify as a 'Midwesterner' and I was happy to move back to Ohio. I'd go back to Dallas/Ft Worth, but I'd have a hard time leaving Minneapolis/St Paul it that is where you are at.
jbmitt

Postby newkidontheblock » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:33 pm

I calculated that I was going to lose $150-$200K on my home.
I also had 2 rental properties in MN.
My wife has a good job so we weren't sure if she can find a similar job.
I got a call from the hiring manager and he asked me to make my decision today.
I chose to stay put in MN.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am going to visit Austin, San Antonio and Houston in near future to check them out.
newkidontheblock

Postby chaz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:42 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:I calculated that I was going to lose $150-$200K on my home.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am going to visit Austin, San Antonio and Houston in near future to check them out.

Sounds like a wise decision.
Chaz

“Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby abuss368 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:51 pm

That is a lot of money to lose on the sale of the house. I would struggle to make a huge life changing decision like that in a few days. Sounds like you made the right decision for you and your wife.

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
abuss368

Postby vesalius » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:18 pm

chaz wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote:I calculated that I was going to lose $150-$200K on my home.

Sounds like a wise decision.

Agreed, if neither of you are unhappy where you are and this was more about potential greener pastures for both of you then I can't see spending 150-200k for a new life that may or may not be better.
vesalius

Postby porcupine » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:40 am

jbmitt wrote:
Jerilynn wrote:Re: Anyone moved from MN to TX
by Jerilynn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:41 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Jerilynn wrote:
Dallas is too small.

Are you serious?

City proper perhaps, the metroplex is enormous... I relocated to Houston from the Midwest. Enjoyed Texas, but still identify as a 'Midwesterner' and I was happy to move back to Ohio. I'd go back to Dallas/Ft Worth, but I'd have a hard time leaving Minneapolis/St Paul it that is where you are at.

+1. Dallas can never be thought about as Dallas alone.

Anyway, here is a pure Dallas vs San Antonio comparison.

- Porcupine
porcupine

Postby rec7 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:48 am

I would pick San Antonio I could see John Hagee every Sunday live.
rec7

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)