Best online bank?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Best online bank?

Postby StophJS » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:40 am

I know ING Direct has been popular in the past, but due to its acquisition by Capital One I'm thinking it's going to see a decline in quality. Right now I'm looking at Ally as the top contender for my general savings. What is your favorite online bank?
StophJS

Re: Best online bank?

Postby crowd79 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:47 am

Ally. Best rates and best customer service. Very, very happy with them.
crowd79

Postby Johm221122 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:50 am

StophJS wrote:I know ING Direct has been popular in the past, but due to its acquisition by Capital One I'm thinking it's going to see a decline in quality. Right now I'm looking at Ally as the top contender for my general savings. What is your favorite online bank?

What are you exactly looking for in online bank?
john
Johm221122

Postby StophJS » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:56 am

Johm221122 wrote:
StophJS wrote:I know ING Direct has been popular in the past, but due to its acquisition by Capital One I'm thinking it's going to see a decline in quality. Right now I'm looking at Ally as the top contender for my general savings. What is your favorite online bank?

What are you exactly looking for in online bank?
john

Well interest is important, but of course it's going to fluctuate at the various banks. Apart from solid interest I want a bank without the unnecessary and hidden fees, a clean and user friendly interface, and one that seems trustworthy and respectful of its customers. I don't have a whole lot of specifics beyond that. The ATM reimbursement at Ally is a really nice perk if I were to go there for checking as well.
StophJS

Postby midareff » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:05 am

crowd79 wrote:Ally. Best rates and best customer service. Very, very happy with them.

+1 Excellent in all areas
midareff

Postby Johm221122 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:10 am

For me capital one/ING still works FDIC, competitive interest rate and easy access to my money. But I only keep one month income and can wait a day or two for money transfer. If it doesn't meet your goals just move your money. If you keep large sums,chasing yield is worth it.I have not noticed any fees yet.for checking I use local bank,but I only keep $150 in there after bills paid.l just don't believe in holding cash
John
Johm221122

Postby john94549 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:26 am

Alliant CU has been a favorite for a long time.
john94549

Postby camper » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:55 am

Plenty of previous posts on this very subject. Try using the search function.
We use FNBO Direct.
"I emphasize three main principles: first, to not be too greedy; second, to diversify as widely as possible; and third, to always be wary of the investment industry." William J. Bernstein
camper

Postby Rexindex » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:10 am

midareff wrote:
crowd79 wrote:Ally. Best rates and best customer service. Very, very happy with them.

+2
Rexindex

Postby swyck » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:41 am

One main issue for me that I've seen with Ally, and pretty much everyone else except for ING is this:

We make it easy for you to receive your funds. Just let us know by phone, chat, or regular mail before your certificate of deposit matures

At ING I could set my maturity options at purchase time. At any time prior to maturity I can change those options. Easy, simple, and effective.

I don't want to CALL customer service to chat with someone to do so. How many menus will I need to traverse, how many buttons will I need to press, how many minutes or hours will I need to wait to do so? This is absurd! It's ONLINE banking and I should be able to do everything I need ONLINE! To me it seems a little fishy as in they don't really want to make it easy for me to get my money back. Sure you get 10 days grace period to do this, but I don't want to spend a second of it on the phone on hold being annoyed.

And regular mail, are you kidding me? I haven't sent a regular letter in so long. That's just so horse and buggy antiquated.

This is actually the main reason I stuck with ING for so long, and never made the move to anyone else. I simply can't believe that no one else can do this, and the lack of this feature bothers me. Not just for the ease of use, but I just attribute this lack to sinister reasons on the part of the banks. They just don't want to make it easy for me to get my money back.
swyck

Postby joe8d » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:53 pm

Rexindex wrote:
midareff wrote:

+2

+3
All the Best,
Joe
joe8d

Postby aquifer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:53 pm

I have most of my emergency fund in an online savings account at Barclays Bank. It's online only, no checkwriting, no iphone app. But there's no minimum opening balance, no fees, and no minimum ongoing balance. APR is 1%, compounded daily, credited monthly. Pretty good for a regular savings account.
aquifer

Postby nukephd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:58 pm

joe8d wrote:
Rexindex wrote:
midareff wrote:

+2

+3

+4
nukephd

Postby G-Force » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:20 pm

john94549 wrote:Alliant CU has been a favorite for a long time.

They are my favorite also.
G-Force

Postby dhc » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:39 pm

I've been very pleased with CIT. No frills, but great savings rate and works for something I don't need to touch for a while.
dhc

Postby DTSC » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:43 pm

G-Force wrote:

Mine as well. the best online bank is not a bank!
DTSC

Postby Cash » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:49 pm

DTSC wrote:
G-Force wrote:

Mine as well. the best online bank is not a bank!

+4
Cash

Postby Blueflame1979 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:57 am

Fidelity cash management account has worked well for me. No fees, free checks, reimbursed atm fees, great customer service and a nice little app that is easy to navigate through. The only thing is when you transfer money it wont be available until 4 bussiness days 10 the latest. If you dont mind the wait.
Blueflame1979

Postby runner9 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:46 am

swyck wrote:I don't want to CALL customer service to chat with someone to do so. How many menus will I need to traverse, how many buttons will I need to press, how many minutes or hours will I need to wait to do so? This is absurd! It's ONLINE banking and I should be able to do everything I need ONLINE! To me it seems a little fishy as in they don't really want to make it easy for me to get my money back. Sure you get 10 days grace period to do this, but I don't want to spend a second of it on the phone on hold being annoyed.

To each his own but calling Ally and pressing 0 is a person within a minute 90% of the time, verify a few things, ask my question/make my request and I'm done in just 3-4 minutes.
runner9

Postby bungalow10 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:05 am

I love ING. Their check deposit by phone is much simpler than Ally's method of scanning the check to a file and uploading it.

Ally's account opening process is also much more cumbersome.

ING also makes it easier to transfer money and to see upcoming transfers.

I use both, but I used ING much more. Ally is okay, but the UI isn't as simple as it should be.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10

Postby rwm » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:06 am

I'm looking for a good online bank that accepts electronic paper check deposits, e.g., scanned jpg, whatever. Does Ally offer this?
rwm

Postby bungalow10 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:12 am

rwm wrote:I'm looking for a good online bank that accepts electronic paper check deposits, e.g., scanned jpg, whatever. Does Ally offer this?

Ally offers it to some users (not all, you have to request to be put on a list). I have done electronic deposits at four different banks now (Penfed, Chase, ING, and Ally), and Ally is my least favorite. It's cumbersome and not reliable- half the time it doesn't work at all.

ING's process of allowing users to us a smartphone app to snap a picture of the check is the fastest.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10

Postby mlipps » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:23 am

rwm wrote:I'm looking for a good online bank that accepts electronic paper check deposits, e.g., scanned jpg, whatever. Does Ally offer this?

I opened my iPhone Ally app the other day to find they've added mobile deposits. Another user on a different thread reported that Android app has this feature now too.
mlipps

Postby bungalow10 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:31 am

mlipps wrote:

I opened my iPhone Ally app the other day to find they've added mobile deposits. Another user on a different thread reported that Android app has this feature now too.

thanks for letting me know!! I will try it out ASAP.
bungalow10

Postby nimo956 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:34 am

nukephd wrote:
joe8d wrote:
Rexindex wrote:
midareff wrote:

+2

+3

+4

+5
25% S&P 500/ 25% 30 year US Treasury Bond/ 25% Gold/ 25% Cash
nimo956

Postby Tex » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:37 pm

I like both Alliant and Fidelity

- Alliant - great rates and customer service

- Fidelity - great billpay, atm rebates, clean website, free checks, customer service

My Alliant account is my hub for everything. Fidelity is my payment account. Everything goes to Alliant and I push my monthly budget to Fidelity. The issue noted above about Fidelity is that when you pull bank funds through ACH, it takes like 4-7 days to clear. If I push from Alliant instead (before noon), the funds show up the next business day and are immediately available to be used.

Both sites allow electronic check deposits. Alliant's check deposit feature works better than Fidelity's.
Tex

Postby Jerilynn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:40 pm

I've used Ally, Cap One and AMEX. They were all ok, except they kept lowering the rate about 3 days after I would make a deposit. :)

Right now, I use TIAA Direct cuz they pay 1.25%. Unfortunately, they are not accepting new accts at this time.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Jerilynn

Postby KarlJ » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Very satisfied with the Fidelity CMA account that has free checks, bill pay, and reimbursed atm fees, where everything has been working reliably.
KarlJ

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)