Reading Glasses-Have a question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Buster65

Reading Glasses-Have a question

Post by Buster65 »

I had difficulty when I tried progressive lenses about a year ago. I had the optometrist switch the frame back to regular readers. Now I'm thinking about straight bifocal's. Any thoughts?
sscritic

Re: Reading Glasses-Have a question

Post by sscritic »

Try them.

I have bifocals. I once tried trifocals. I didn't like them. I went back to bifocals. You tried progressives. You didn't like them. What is different about bifocals that makes you hesitate to try?
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

I believe it depends upon your needs. Do you need three distances, or can you get by with only two?

I find bifocals perfect for driving. Perfect for distance. Perfect for the dash. A pair each of clear and tinted takes care of night and day driving.

Only problem noted is the mirrors must be checked using the bifocal (reading) portion, not the top (distance) portion of the glasses. Something of a pain to remember to reposition my glasses/head to see the mirrors---you can't just glance up or over at it.

Otherwise a pair of cheap WM readers is all I've needed. (Knock wood.)
Last edited by dratkinson on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
CABob

Post by CABob »

What did you not like about progressive lenses? I have used them since I first needed the extra help for reading and close work, and, I like them very much.
Bob
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

I have (from Zenni) prescription bifocals, progressives, and monovision: driving distance, computer distance, reading distance. I usually wear the monovision computer distance glasses, and sometimes tinted monovision driving glasses. My eyes aren't that bad, so the computer glasses work well enough at other distances, though they are not ideal for driving or reading. I have never managed to adapt to progressives or bifocals.
Greg, retired 8/10.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

I have had glasses for 45 years and had single vision, bifocals with the lines, and progressive lenses throughout this time. I learned that having the "sweet spot" for reading correctly placed for progressive lenses is critical. I had that transition point placed far too low on the lens twice now. The result caused me to tilt my head back in order to see correctly. I do a lot of computer work requiring "reading" correction but at a higher position on the lens. Also, having a progressive lens causes one to adjust the head more to see clearly. This takes a few days to "learn", but soon it is automatic and comfortable again.

The experiences of others seldom has an influence on your own preference in eyewear technology.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I went from single vision (thirty years until I could no longer read a restaurant menu at arms length) to bifocals (about ten years) to progressive lenses (ten years and counting).

Progressive lenses work very well for me and I don't even notice that they're progressive. If bifocals work better for you, so be it.
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

What about contacts? One eye for distance. The other for unclose. No glasses to worry about. Takes a little getting use to but I've worn them 22 years. If you ever have cataract surgery they can make one eye unclose the other distance...no need for glasses or contacts.
the best decision many times is the hardest to do
p14175

Post by p14175 »

I started wearing glasses at the beginning of the year and I am still trying to find the style that works for me. Right now I use prescription reading glasses (good for about 5ft) at the computer at work, but if I have to go out on the shop floor I wear my bifocal safety glasses. I dislike the bifocals, but don't want to spend any more on lenses right now.

I think all you can do is try the different styles and see what works.
CABob

Post by CABob »

This may be a bit OT, but, about a year ago I ordered a pair of single vision computer glasses with a focus distance of about 24 inches which I use only for sitting at a computer. It was a very good investment for me. Prior to having them I was constantly tilting my head back to keep the computer screen in focus causing neck pain.
Bob
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I wear contacts for distance vision (24 years) and cheap +1.25s for reading (2 years). Over the past year I start to need the reading glasses for computer work too, but not for driving yet. I love the contacts: the quality of distance vision for me is far higher than glasses (better than 20/20) and they are used the majority of the time, even with a desk job. 8-)
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

I have had progressives for 25 years and wear them all the time: driving, reading, playing tennis.

They work just fine. I have glasses made for my hours working at my computer. They have a sort of mid vision set for about 24" and at bottom an area matching my reading strength that is on the progressives.

As someone mentioned, make sure the progressives are balanced to manage the varying distances you need and you should find that they are highly functional. Rich
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
CABob

Post by CABob »

IMHO optometrists are taught where the dividing line(s) should be for bifocals, trifocals, and progressives and they have a standard location. Unfortunately we are not all alike in preference, jobs, etc. etc. and some feel more comfortable with the dividing line higher or lower. I think this may be the problem with many have in getting used to bifocals etc.
Bob
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

SnapShots wrote:What about contacts? One eye for distance. The other for unclose. No glasses to worry about. Takes a little getting use to but I've worn them 22 years. If you ever have cataract surgery they can make one eye unclose the other distance...no need for glasses or contacts.
I'm farsighted and that is what I do, it's commonly called monovision. Using contacts one eye (typically the dominate one) is fully corrected for distance and the other for reading. The brain sorts out what you're doing and uses the proper eye. It's not perfect but works fine for me and is much more convenient than dealing with glasses. Of course what works for one person will not work for all.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

It helps if you tell your optometrist of any special needs. In my case, when I watch my Chinese soap operas on my computer, I sit farther back then when I am writing or reading, but I still want to be able to read the Chinese subtitles. We discussed what could be adjusted and whether a single vision set to that distance would work best. I went for the single pair of bifocals to see if they would work. I really didn't want the single vision for the soap operas because of the expense but mostly because of the need for switching back and forth. For example, I am in the middle of a soap right now, but I paused to check bogleheads. It is a lot easier if I don't have to switch glasses. As it turned out, by her making a minor adjustment in the prescription, I am good for close computer work, mid-range soap operas, and distance vision with just the bifocals.

As for the line measurement, they now use more advanced tools. In the past, there was a lot of line drawing and my telling them what I saw. Now they use a device that measures where your eye actually sits in your head. I have no idea what it is called, but it worked for me.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

FrugalInvestor wrote: I'm farsighted and that is what I do, it's commonly called monovision. Using contacts one eye (typically the dominate one) is fully corrected for distance and the other for reading. The brain sorts out what you're doing and uses the proper eye. It's not perfect but works fine for me and is much more convenient than dealing with glasses. Of course what works for one person will not work for all.
I believe your ability to judge distances is diminished as you no longer have focused stereo vision (your brain suppresses the information from the eye not in focus, as you stated).
it is best to avoid monovision correction in individuals whose daily tasks require excellent stereoscopic vision.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

sscritic wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote: I'm farsighted and that is what I do, it's commonly called monovision. Using contacts one eye (typically the dominate one) is fully corrected for distance and the other for reading. The brain sorts out what you're doing and uses the proper eye. It's not perfect but works fine for me and is much more convenient than dealing with glasses. Of course what works for one person will not work for all.
I believe your ability to judge distances is diminished as you no longer have focused stereo vision (your brain suppresses the information from the eye not in focus, as you stated).
it is best to avoid monovision correction in individuals whose daily tasks require excellent stereoscopic vision.
What you say about depth perception makes perfect sense. A google search brings up many hits with statements such as "monovision may interfere somewhat with depth perception." The following link is a particular reference which provides some very technical (and interesting) information on the subject....

http://tinyurl.com/6mmoth9

As I said, what works well for me will not necessarily work well for others. Everyone must do a little trial and error and find what works best for their particular circumstances.

I am not heavily corrected (+0.50 left for reading and +1.75 right for distance) and have never noticed any reduction in depth perception. I don't know if depth perception is more compromised with greater correction but I'm sure that's possible. In my case, neither my distance or close up vision is quite as clear as it would be if fully corrected for each (bifocals) but I find it to be perfectly satisfactory given the trade-offs.

Monovision contacts also give me the option of fully correcting for distance (both eyes happen to be +1.75 for full correction which is handy) and using a pair of over-the-counter reading glasses for reading. I've done this when going to a ballgame so I would have crystal clear vision of the players and ball on the field. In addition, If I had a depth perception problem in certain circumstances this option would allow me to avoid that problem when necessary.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

SnapShots wrote:What about contacts? One eye for distance. The other for unclose. No glasses to worry about. Takes a little getting use to but I've worn them 22 years. If you ever have cataract surgery they can make one eye unclose the other distance...no need for glasses or contacts.
I have a friend whose eyes were correct this way by laser surgery---one eye for up close, one eye for distance. He says it works well for him and no longer needs glasses, but his depth perception is shot.

It's a little scary to ride with him as I prefer a much greater following distance. I just assumed he was a much better drive than I. Now that I'm thinking about it again and have figured out what is going on, I'll suggest he back it off a little/lot... just for his own safety, as I'd like to keep him around.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
downshiftme

Post by downshiftme »

You might try a separate pair of "reading" glasses for computer work. It can be a lot easier to work with if you don't have to angle your head just right, especially if you may spend significant time looking that that same fixed distance.
magellan

Post by magellan »

dratkinson wrote:I have a friend whose eyes were correct this way by laser surgery---one eye for up close, one eye for distance. He says it works well for him and no longer needs glasses, but his depth perception is shot.
I use a modified monovision setup and haven't noticed any problems with depth perception. In my case, my right eye had a cataract and was corrected for distance. In my left eye, I use a contact lens that's 1.75 diopters weaker than it would be if it was perfectly corrected for distance. That means I still need glasses for very close vision (less than 20" or so). Perhaps doing monovision this way helps with depth perception problems.

Anyhow, with this setup my distance vision seems close to perfect and I can use my laptop without glasses unless I'm tired or my contact is dirty/dry. I use drugstore readers for close reading, pill bottles, etc. When the cataract in my left eye is ready for surgery, my current plan is to lock in this modified monovision setup.

Jim