The Villages Retirement Community Near Orlando

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

The Villages Retirement Community Near Orlando

Post by Leesbro63 »

Friends of ours are seriously considering building an early retirement home (they are both 59 and just sold their small business) in The Villages community, about an hour north of Orlando. I watched the video and it was impressive, but I'd like to find out where there might be a web site where people post their TRUE experience. Or some other unbiased source. Anyone here have any experience with The Villages?
Sheepdog

Re: The Villages Retirement Community Near Orlando

Post by Sheepdog »

The Villages is called by those who love it "The Senior's Disney World". There are village centers with bands and shows everyday....organized activities of every kind...sports, dancing, games, yoga, volunteering...you name it. Golf carts are the preferred mode of transportation...some of which cost $30,000 or more. Those that love it love it. Those that don't, leave it. Children can visit, but can't stay there permanently. If you want your grandchild to live with you permanently, it isn't allowed. That happens in todays world where grandparents bring in their child and grandchild to live with them for whatever reason. They are told to leave if they do.
I have visited The Villages. I visited a friend who loves it, to see if I would like it, but I did not find that organized stuff for me. Also, it is too crowded for my taste. There are always hundreds and sometimes a thousand or more of homes for sale all of the time because people don't find it utopia.... Have you looked at the village newspaper to get a feel? http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/
There are apartments for rent...and several hundred homes for rent all of the time. There are many Snowbirds who live there only in the winter and rent their homes in the summer.
I suggest that everyone lease or rent a place to be sure they like the lifestyle and will utilize it after the newness wears off after a year. There are so many nice homes for sale, some at bargain prices, and some fully and nicely furnished, that I can't see why a person would build, especially if they haven't lived there. The friend I visited, bought a used home, and lived in it for a couple of years, before deciding that she did want to stay, then built the home of their dreams in the Village they liked the most.
Jim
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
mrpotatoheadsays

Post by mrpotatoheadsays »

I have experience with Orlando and it's a hell hole.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Check your local public library. There actually is a book written about "The Villages "
All the Best, | Joe
ndchamp

Post by ndchamp »

There is a forum, TalkOfTheVillages dot com, gives a good feel of life in The Villages.
Of course, many of the posters have already drank the kool-aid, but the discussions give pros and cons. :sharebeer
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I would recommend that your friends rent a home there for a few months and then decide if they want to live there permanently.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Being from Central Florida we make so many jokes about The Villages, especially with the STD outbreak stories, makes for a good laugh.

Putting that aside the area is really nice, developed, golf courses, and you can ride go carts everywhere. Only 29 here but sounds like a good time to me.

I don't think they have "drank the kool-aid". People loose their social outlets as they age. I believe The Villages excels at providing social outlets. The elderly are often forgotten but with a community dedicated to them, they are king.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
dschoenleb

Post by dschoenleb »

You should read "Leisureville" which is the book written about The Villages. I read it and it made me think twice about living at The Villages or any of those sorts of developments. It exposes the dark side of living there and should be required reading of anyone planning to move there. Lots of pluses but definitely also some minuses. The Daily Sun newspaper of the Villages is actually published by the developer and won't give anything but positive news about the place. That being said, I know somebody who lives there and he absolutely loves it.
Dan
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

These were good replies. Thank you all so much. I'll be able to research it from here!
pryan

Post by pryan »

I have lived in The Villages for four years. I am 62 and still working full-time. My wife is 58 and does not work. I guess you could say we drank the Kool-aid at first but that wears off after awhile. We find it to be the best community we have lived in. It caters to seniors obviously, it is exceptionally clean, and there are more activities than you will find anywhere. It can be very crowded in the winter when the snowbirds are in town but this time of year not so much. The population is currently 85K in three counties with an expectation of 115K when fully built out. Housing prices run from $100K to $700-800K sothere is something for everyone. As far as the book Leisureville, I found it very one-sided, written by a bitter 30-something that didn't have mom and dad around to babysit anymore. Orlando may or may not be a hell-hole but it is 70 miles away and has nothing to do with The Villages.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

What kind of property taxes would I be looking at on a $400,000 house? What other "assessments" or homeowner fees are there?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Why do the discussions of Florida retirement always center around purchasing real estate? Is it feasible to live in The Villages or elsewhere in the state as a perpetual renter? I think renters have tremendous flexibility that should not be foregone just when their physical and mental energies are declining.

One attraction of The Villages could be that the old and frail are not neglected, and that the community watches out for possible abuses by the assisted-living/nursing-home personnel. Does anybody know if that is the case?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Leesbro63 wrote:What kind of property taxes would I be looking at on a $400,000 house? What other "assessments" or homeowner fees are there?
Google and ye shall find.
Here is a real estate website with lots of information http://www.thevillagesproperties.com/ge ... gtemp=1636 including property taxes and assessment http://0262.deltagroup.com/shared/fs/02 ... sments.pdf
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

duplicate
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

VictoriaF wrote:Why do the discussions of Florida retirement always center around purchasing real estate? Is it feasible to live in The Villages or elsewhere in the state as a perpetual renter? I think renters have tremendous flexibility that should not be foregone just when their physical and mental energies are declining.

One attraction of The Villages could be that the old and frail are not neglected, and that the community watches out for possible abuses by the assisted-living/nursing-home personnel. Does anybody know if that is the case?

Victoria
OK, Victoria. I own a home up north free and clear. It's worth about $450,000. If I sell it here invest the money, will it SAFELY and GUARANTEED generate enough to rent a similar home in Fla? That's the current rub. It's cheaper to buy than to rent, at least in the medium term.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Leesbro63 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Why do the discussions of Florida retirement always center around purchasing real estate? Is it feasible to live in The Villages or elsewhere in the state as a perpetual renter? I think renters have tremendous flexibility that should not be foregone just when their physical and mental energies are declining.

Victoria
OK, Victoria. I own a home up north free and clear. It's worth about $450,000. If I sell it here invest the money, will it SAFELY and GUARANTEED generate enough to rent a similar home in Fla? That's the current rub. It's cheaper to buy than to rent, at least in the medium term.
The invested $450,000 may not provide a guaranteed income to pay for a similar home in Florida. It may pay for a much smaller home in Florida. Additional funds could be used to pay for the flexibility and absence of responsibilities when renting, i.e., the price of convenience.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Agreed. But I'm only 52. I want the bigger home that I now have. Might even need to be EVEN bigger as my 22 year old and 18 year old could give us grandkids during the time I own my next home. Your issue doesn't really apply specifically to Florida, but to the overall "rent versus buy" equation anywhere. Yes, in return for flexibility, one might decide to pay market rent that's higher than would be a mortgage on a similar property...or higher than they can get on investments from monies fetched upon sale of a similarly priced home.

And, yeah, while it might make sense for somone to pay extra juice to rent for a year to learn the ins and outs of a new community, there is, indeed, extra juice to cough up for that flexibility. Even if I did that for a year, at this youngish age I think I'd be better off owning fairly soon after I know what I (we) want. And while you're right that many moving to Florida COULD downsize and live cheaper, that's not necessarily MY/OUR goal.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Leesbro63 wrote:OK, Victoria. I own a home up north free and clear. It's worth about $450,000. If I sell it here invest the money, will it SAFELY and GUARANTEED generate enough to rent a similar home in Fla? That's the current rub. It's cheaper to buy than to rent, at least in the medium term.
This question is pretty much irrelevant.

Owner A with a $450K house and renter B with $450K in bonds from the upper Midwest are considering buying/renting homes in The Villages. Both have the same assets available to purchase a home, and both will be facing taxes/insurance/maintenance/etc/etc should they do so. Maybe buying is better, or maybe renting is better, but it doesn't have anything (besides personal preference) to do with whether you already own a house or whether you are going to borrow to buy a new one.

Hope you enjoy whatever you end up deciding to do.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Harold wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:OK, Victoria. I own a home up north free and clear. It's worth about $450,000. If I sell it here invest the money, will it SAFELY and GUARANTEED generate enough to rent a similar home in Fla? That's the current rub. It's cheaper to buy than to rent, at least in the medium term.

Owner A with a $450K house and renter B with $450K in bonds from the upper Midwest are considering buying/renting homes in The Villages. Both have the same assets available to purchase a home, and both will be facing taxes/insurance/maintenance/etc/etc should they do so. Maybe buying is better, or maybe renting is better, but it doesn't have anything (besides personal preference) to do with whether you already own a house or whether you are going to borrow to buy a new one.

While it might be the same thing in theory, it's not in reality. The guy who starts with $450,000 in bonds is then using other money (income to pay monthly or money that's equity in a paid-for home) to fund housing. The guy who has $450,000 in home equity and no bonds does not use (or maybe doesn't even have) income to pay a mortgage or rent monthly.

My overriding point is that in today's market, the monthly cost to rent is much higher than the lost investment income/appreciation of dollars used to buy a similar house. For most retirees, that cash flow fact is very important. I agree that maybe your investments will hit a home run or maybe the rented home will decline in value (that would effectively favor the renter...saved from depreciation). There are lots of variables and many are left to the chance of investment and real estate markets. But again, for the average retiree, the higher immediate cash flow requirement to go from owning up north to renting in Florida is a burden that often favors selling up north and buying down south.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Leesbro63 wrote:Your issue doesn't really apply specifically to Florida, but to the overall "rent versus buy" equation anywhere. Yes, in return for flexibility, one might decide to pay market rent that's higher than would be a mortgage on a similar property...or higher than they can get on investments from monies fetched upon sale of a similarly priced home.
I agree that the "rent vs. buy" issue does not particularly apply to Florida, and I definitely agree that we all have our own preferences, and your preference to own is very strong.

I only want to point out that the "rent vs. buy" decision should be revisited when people are moving to a retirement destination, and Florida is a primary destination. The newly retired (newly relocated) have an opportunity to get rid of their unnecessary belongings, live in a much smaller place, and move around. If they are in Michigan for the summer they don't have to worry about hurricanes or bugs in the South. And when they become old and weak they don't have to worry about maintaining their home or selling it at the time when they cannot cognitively handle complex transactions.

Again, we all act on our preference, and you will do what you want to do, and so will I.

Victoria
norookie

Post by norookie »

:oops:
Last edited by norookie on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

norookie wrote:8-) Having stayed @ one repeatedly, the best time of the day was leaving the grounds.
Just out of curiosity, whey then did you stay there?
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Harold

Post by Harold »

Leesbro63 wrote:
Harold wrote:

While it might be the same thing in theory, it's not in reality. The guy who starts with $450,000 in bonds is then using other money (income to pay monthly or money that's equity in a paid-for home) to fund housing. The guy who has $450,000 in home equity and no bonds does not use (or maybe doesn't even have) income to pay a mortgage or rent monthly.

My overriding point is that in today's market, the monthly cost to rent is much higher than the lost investment income/appreciation of dollars used to buy a similar house. For most retirees, that cash flow fact is very important. I agree that maybe your investments will hit a home run or maybe the rented home will decline in value (that would effectively favor the renter...saved from depreciation). There are lots of variables and many are left to the chance of investment and real estate markets. But again, for the average retiree, the higher immediate cash flow requirement to go from owning up north to renting in Florida is a burden that often favors selling up north and buying down south.
No, it's the same thing in both theory and reality.

Both have the same assets, both have the option of using those assets to buy a home, both have the option of borrowing to buy a home, both could choose to hang onto those assets and rent (though the homeowner would have to sell, or else he'd double up on his "rent"), both could buy and face "rent" of taxes/insurance/maintenance/etc.

None of this has anything to do with an amortization of a loan. And none of this requires, or even warrants, assumptions about investment returns or home appreciation. Both of them face precisely the same analysis on whether renting or buying is best going forward in their delightful new Florida home.

This is only meant to clarify in case you were interested, because it does give you wider options than you felt you had. Since this is only tangential to your original post, and since you've shown reluctance to this perspective -- carry on.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

Victoria
It is feasible to rent and I agree wholeheartedly with your first paragraph. As to the second, I think one has to develop a support system, whether it is making lots of friends in one's local community or through one's church or synagogue. A person who fails to do so can not expect that support will materialize out of nowhere when it is needed. Unfortunately, my experience with the Florida Departments of Children and Families and Elder Affairs does not lead me to believe they will either act with any speed, nor, when they do finally act, with any degree of competence.

gatorman
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

I wouldn't want to tie up money in real-estate in a place like that. Sounds like these places are hard to sell. It's the developer whose making money on homes. Looks to crowded for me, anyway. Besides we're too grounded in our community to leave permanently. However, we do like to be away for months at a time.

I say rent. Buy a RV and travel. Don't get stuck in one place.

And, we've got a kid and a couple of grandkids moving in with us next month. Never thought that would happen. Not doing it out of financial necessity or physical ailment but combing households will help all of us. :beer
the best decision many times is the hardest to do
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Came across this older thread while looking for feedback from people who have lived in The Villages Retirement Community in Florida. Unfortunately, the previous discussion veered off into a "buy vs. rent" debate and stopped there.

Attempting to resurrect the thread for more opinions.

Anyway, for retirees who desire an active lifestyle and social connection, the Villages look interesting. We are thinking about renting a place there for a month or two this winter just to check it out. Not sure I would live there all summer though.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

They just had a bit on Inside Edition about the sometimes wild "activities" there.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

placeholder wrote:They just had a bit on Inside Edition about the sometimes wild "activities" there.
Really? I was concerned it might be too dorky.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Bustoff wrote:
placeholder wrote:They just had a bit on Inside Edition about the sometimes wild "activities" there.
Really? I was concerned it might be too dorky.
Their report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHDvDaAaKrs
Understand that Inside Edition will put a bit of a sensationalist spin on almost anything.
traumadoc77

Post by traumadoc77 »

My parents had some friends move there and they were trying to get my parents to move down there. They visited and thought it was a strange crowd... then I saw this and it was confirmed lol! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... oyboy.html
DonDraper

Post by DonDraper »

I've also read some amusing stories regarding women trying to steal other women's husbands down there. Apparently the guy/girl ratio leans heavily in the mans favor. Sounds like there's a lot of poaching going on. :)
jdb

Post by jdb »

Sounds beyond awful to me. Though old enough to qualify I am obviously not the type that likes that place, my idea of a nice evening is a small glass of wine and a good book. Each to his own.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Friends of family live there - non stop activities - have met new friends - constantly learning new things- having the time of their life.

Other friends of the family their age still live in Chicago area, waiting for their few friends left to die and watch Matlock reruns in the winter so they don't break a hip. You decide.

Also the Village is near Orlando is like saying Trenton NJ is near New York City so it must be just like it.

Rental seems the way to go to see if you like it. Low risk.

One time we were down in Orlando watching the Orange Bowl Parade. After a large float went by, there was about 70 members of the VIllage's Marching Band marching followed by about 30 twirlers from the Villages. EVERYBODY had a smile on their face. I've never seen anybody smiling watching Matlock reruns.
jdb

Post by jdb »

HoosierJim wrote:Friends of family live there - non stop activities - have met new friends - coSnstantly learning new things- having the time of their life.

Other friends of the family their age still live in Chicago area, waiting for their few friends left to die and watch Matlock reruns in the winter so they don't break a hip. You decide.

Also the Village is near Orlando is like saying Trenton NJ is near New York City so it must be just like it.

Rental seems the way to go to see if you like it. Low risk.

One time we were down in Orlando watching the Orange Bowl Parade. After a large float went by, there was about 70 members of the VIllage's Marching Band marching followed by about 30 twirlers from the Villages. EVERYBODY had a smile on their face. I've never seen anybody smiling watching Matlock reruns.
I never watch TV other than professional sports and have plenty of activities including two golf clubs and travel plus full time work but Matlock reruns sound far better than a Villagers Marching Band. Now I know where all those twirlers from high school retired. Sounds a little like one of my bad dreams, an economy cruise that never ends.
Last edited by jdb on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Forgot to mention I met a marshal at the Arnold Palmer Golf Tournament that lived in the Villages. He and his buddies play 18 holes every day, restore antique cars and take an RV around Florida to volunteer at the many winter golf tournaments. He enjoyed it.

Met another couple at a bike trail that lived in The Villages for a few years - they thought it was a like a cult but bought another home a few miles way since they liked the area.
jdb

Post by jdb »

HoosierJim wrote:Forgot to mention I met a marshal at the Arnold Palmer Golf Tournament that lived in the Villages. He and his buddies play 18 holes every day, restore antique cars and take an RV around Florida to volunteer at the many winter golf tournaments. He enjoyed it.

Met another couple at a bike trail that lived in The Villages for a few years - they thought it was a like a cult but bought another home a few miles way since they liked the area.
OK, since I have never been there should reserve judgment. Probably some interesting people. The video makes it seem like a non stop octogenarian fraternity party. And news reports make it sound even worse, if that is possible. Suspect they don't have thriving cultural arts programs or visits from authors. And since I don't play Pickleball probably quite high odds that won't be seeing me around there.
Last edited by jdb on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Also found this calendar

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

jdb wrote:... my idea of a nice evening is a small glass of wine and a good book. Each to his own.
And I'm just the opposite. I hate sitting around and get bored easily.
I couldn't wait to retire. The repetitiveness of work began to wear me down.
However, having been retired a few years now, I would say the boredom of retirement is worse.
Maybe that's why the Villages marketing strategy resonates with me.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Bustoff wrote:
jdb wrote:... my idea of a nice evening is a small glass of wine and a good book. Each to his own.
And I'm just the opposite. I hate sitting around and get bored easily.
I couldn't wait to retire. The repetitiveness of work began to wear me down.
However, having been retired a few years now, I would say the boredom of retirement is worse.
Maybe that's why the Villages marketing strategy resonates with me.
Not being retired yet can't speak to that, I am worn out from work by day end. But if Pickleball and Bingo and Pumpkin Carving and other items in crowded calendar sound like your thing then go for it.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

As has been pointed out before, the Villages is not near Orlando, it is more than 60 miles away, in the middle of nowhere, and I can assure you that nobody in central Florida considers the Villages to be anywhere near Orlando. If anything, it is near Ocala.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

jdb wrote: Not being retired yet can't speak to that, I am worn out from work by day end. But if Pickleball and Bingo and Pumpkin Carving and other items in crowded calendar sound like your thing then go for it.
LOL - I wondered where you came up with that list of activities. Then I looked at the calender posted above.

Your're right. That doesn't sound like the place for an adrenaline junkie. Although, the event on the 6th sounds a little twisted.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Bustoff wrote:
jdb wrote: Not being retired yet can't speak to that, I am worn out from work by day end. But if Pickleball and Bingo and Pumpkin Carving and other items in crowded calendar sound like your thing then go for it.
LOL - I wondered where you came up with that list of activities. Then I looked at the calender posted above.

Your're right. That doesn't sound like the place for an adrenaline junkie. Although, the event on the 6th sounds a little twisted.
Yes, in addition to Pickleball you would need to learn Bean Bag Corn Hole and Cake Decorating and Bocce. Did not see Flower Arranging but probably another month.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Actually, there are many activities to suit most tastes. There are large travel clubs who travel around the world. There are traveling shows which visit and they will increase dramatically after the Performing Arts Theater is finished next year. That will be an outstanding addition. There are free shows every night in the village centers. There are other activities beyond pickleball, lap swimming, many golf courses, car shows, dance clubs and swingers http://www.thevillages.com/Recreation/r ... vities.asp. Orlando and Disney arts and the University of Florida in Gainesville, both about 60 miles away, offer much in the way of theater and other arts.
I was there for the 2nd time in September visiting a friend. She and others I met love it. The village centers, the theaters, shopping areas, roads, gardens are beautiful. All landscaping over many square miles is manicured closely, but all of those things comes at a price as all residents pay a pricey sum every year.
sailfish2

Post by sailfish2 »

DonDraper wrote:I've also read some amusing stories regarding women trying to steal other women's husbands down there. Apparently the guy/girl ratio leans heavily in the mans favor. Sounds like there's a lot of poaching going on. :)

LOL - Demographically, that is the case everywhere. Men die off before women do.

Sheepdog - "swingers"?! :shock: As a 30-something, my social life is much less exciting than these retirees'.
ndchamp

Post by ndchamp »

We visited on a day trip. Very friendly folks, very clean, and nice homes. Sunny and warm in the winter.
They advertise as Americas Friendliest Home Town, so if you love winter and hate people, it may not meet your standards. :sharebeer
bgscms

Post by bgscms »

I sold my home in Orlando last summer to downsize and to live in a 55 plus retirement community before we retire in four years. We looked at several communities including the Villages where we have friends living there. The villages had too many people and lots of traffic so we chose to live on the east coast in Brevard County in a smaller but very nice 55 plus community called Heritage Isle in Viera, FL The community has everything that you need with a clubhouse and pool and it has a variety of housing options as well. http://www.lennar.com/New-Homes/Florida ... le#t_h&s_1
We have the best of both world living near the beaches and the Orlando attractions.
There are rental houses available in all communities and if you are not sure then renting is an option. Good luck!
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/likethebreadort ... em#1igxr8i

Boasting 100,000 residents over the age of 55, The Villages may be the fastest growing city in America. It’s a notorious boomtown for boomers who want to spend their golden years with access to 11 a.m. happy hours, thousands of activities, and no-strings-attached sex, all lorded over by one elusive billionaire.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

PowDay wrote:Boasting 100,000 residents over the age of 55, The Villages may be the fastest growing city in America. It’s a notorious boomtown for boomers who want to spend their golden years with access to 11 a.m. happy hours, thousands of activities, and no-strings-attached sex, all lorded over by one elusive billionaire.
Sounds like the blurb for a thriller (I just assume there's a deep dark secret involved).
jdb

Post by jdb »

PowDay wrote:http://www.buzzfeed.com/likethebreadort ... em#1igxr8i

Boasting 100,000 residents over the age of 55, The Villages may be the fastest growing city in America. It’s a notorious boomtown for boomers who want to spend their golden years with access to 11 a.m. happy hours, thousands of activities, and no-strings-attached sex, all lorded over by one elusive billionaire.
Fascinating article. Do not understand how anyone after reading article would be interested in living there in nowhere land with all its baggage, including possible $500 million IRS back tax assessment, with so many very nice retirement communities in Florida along the two coastlines (see comment by bgscms as example) or the Celebration communities run by Disney south of Orlando or the Florida Keys for hedonists who like beautiful sunsets. Or much better yet living within vibrant communities with (gasp!) people with different color skins and even people younger than 55! But each to his or her own. Thanks for the link. The older twirlers were cute.
WallyBird

Post by WallyBird »

jdb wrote: Fascinating article. Do not understand how anyone after reading article would be interested in living there in nowhere land with all its baggage, including possible $500 million IRS back tax assessment, with so many very nice retirement communities in Florida along the two coastlines (see comment by bgscms as example) or the Celebration communities run by Disney south of Orlando or the Florida Keys for hedonists who like beautiful sunsets. Or much better yet living within vibrant communities with (gasp!) people with different color skins and even people younger than 55! But each to his or her own. Thanks for the link. The older twirlers were cute.
I found the Buzzfeed article to be even-handed in its depiction and sympathetic to the residents. Not my scene by any means, but with 100,000 residents, the development doesn't seem to be depending on my approval.
"But let's be glad for what we've had, and what's to come." | -- Betty Comden & Adolph Green