Buying eyeglasses online?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Buying eyeglasses online?

Postby bungalow10 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:59 am

Anyone buy eyeglasses online? Care to share your experience or recommend an online seller?

tldr
DH does masonry work and has really horrible vision. He just bought glasses from our optometrist yesterday and the were $500! In order to keep these glasses nice, I convinced him to try getting a separate pair of safety glasses for work (confession: I've wanted him to wear real safety glasses at work for awhile now, I think it's important). I don't want to spend $500 again, so I figured we'd give the online eye glass sellers a try - it looks like we can save about 50%-60%.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10

Re: Buying eyeglasses online?

Postby mhc » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:07 am

I used Zenni last year. I am reasonably happy with the experience. You can pick up glasses for $20-75 depending on what you want. I figured at that price I could afford to make a mistake and still come out ahead.

Your DH will need his pupil distance. I got mine from the place I had previously purchased my glasses. Also, look on the inside of your DH's existing frames. There are a bunch of numbers that are the dimensions of the frames. These are important for getting a good fit.
mhc

Postby lightheir » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:24 am

I was shocked at how good my Zenni glasses were. I bought them on a 'whim' as a backup spare pair, bu tthey ended up better than my real pair ($200+).

I'm still wearing mine 3 years after I bought them and they're perfect. Makes me really wonder how much profit the designer labels are making, honestly.

Shipping is on the slow side (took me 3.5 wks to receive) but quality was excellent. I expected them to break within weeks of daily use, but 3 years later, they're perfect, and I wash them every day with soap+water.
lightheir

Postby magicmom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:31 am

I use zenni also $9.00 I love them!
magicmom

Postby Sam I Am » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:48 am

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby campy2010 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:56 am

Older thread on the same topic

viewtopic.php?t=50364
campy2010

Postby JPH » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:05 pm

I have purchased just the frames online. There is a huge markup on frames, so you can save this way. You can get the size off your old frames, or like I did, order the same model and size. My lens prescription is complex, so I like to get those from a good optician who will re-make them even if the prescription was not correct.
JPH

Postby GregLee » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:22 pm

Yes, Zenni. You can save lots more than 50-60%.
Greg, retired 8/10.
GregLee

Postby binary13 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:31 pm

I've ordered glasses from three different online retailers: Goggles4u, Coastal (formerly CoastalContacts), and Zenni (mostly on recommendations from the previous thread here). Out of the three, I was most impressed by Coastal. Without the first pair free coupon (which I think they always have running), I think they're more expensive than the other sites, but I think I would probably prefer them in the future. The Coastal glasses came in a nice hard case, with a microfiber cleaning cloth and mini repair tool. They also came with a checklist of inspections performed before the glasses were sent out. I dismissed this at first as a gimmick, but the "fit and finish" really do seem better than from the other retailers I've used, especially making sure the frames were level.

All of my frames from the online retailers have been adequate. Some I didn't really like the style of once I received them and tried them on, but I guess that's my own fault. I'm wearing a Zenni pair right now, in fact.

Many of the online retailers offer deals where you just pay shipping or some minimal amount for your first pair from them. Check a deal site like Fatwallet or Slickdeals if the retailer doesn't have the code listed on their homepage.
binary13

Postby bungalow10 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks everyone!

We haven't found a pair that will suit our needs from any of the really cheap sites, but we did find a pair from Frames Direct that, with lenses, will be about $160. That seems like a lot, but a comparable pair from a local store would easily be $400-500.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10

Postby interplanetjanet » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:49 pm

lightheir wrote:I was shocked at how good my Zenni glasses were. I bought them on a 'whim' as a backup spare pair, bu tthey ended up better than my real pair ($200+).

I'm still wearing mine 3 years after I bought them and they're perfect. Makes me really wonder how much profit the designer labels are making, honestly.

A family friend was in the business until recently. Per him, even the designer labels are fairly cheap for the optical shops, and the shops have the gigantic markups on frames (1000% is not unusual and some of them are considerably higher). The cost of eye exams does not really cover more than the optometrists' time, so the frames basically keep the shops running.

I don't know if that's universal, but based on what I've seen as far as prices are concerned in a number of optical shops, it seems to make sense.

-janet
interplanetjanet

Postby WatchinU » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:44 pm

zennioptical is a good place to purchase online and a good price. There is not much in the way of customer service in terms of someone molding your frames to your face but you save a lot of $. Your need to have prescription and all the measurements for them to get your glasses made correctly. The first pair I purchased did not have the right measurements but it was ok. The 2nd pair was very good and had the right measurements. To get the measurements, you may have to go to regular optical shop.

if you are the type of person that needs to interact with someone then you may try Sams Club or Costco for your glasses.
WatchinU

Postby DTSC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:25 pm

+1 on Zenni Optical

After you buy a pair, they send a guide for you to measure your pupil distance. You can measure easily without it though
DTSC

Postby mike143 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:05 pm

$12 coastal.com http://slickdeals.net/f/4247026-Coastal ... st49493280

http://www.coastal.com/glasses/cCouponE ... asses.html

They are my computer glasses. They are slightly less prescription than my everyday distance glasses. Just paid $200 for new Seiko lenses in my Versace frames. I would rock these if my expensive set broke.

I bought the base lenses and even though they have a selection for coated lenses I did not opt for that but my lenses arrived with AR coating.
Nothing is free, someone pays.
mike143

Postby billw » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:43 pm

If your are a veteran check with your local VA Medical Center Optical Service. Need a Eye Glass prescription. Rx bifocal, glass lens, quality frames, case and shipping less than $40.00. Other options available. Extreamly pleased with glasses/frames. Service was prompt.
Last edited by billw on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
billw

Postby 1210sda » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:00 pm

This is a very timely thread. I am shopping for a new pair of glasses.

Does anyone know if these on-line places are able to handle bi-focal, or progressive lenses, or polycarbonate lenses ?

Also, can you pay a local retailer to adjust the frames for you once you receive them ??

$ave, $ave !!

1210sda

Postby GregLee » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:45 pm

1210sda wrote:Does anyone know if these on-line places are able to handle bi-focal, or progressive lenses, or polycarbonate lenses ?

Zenni does all three, as add on, extra cost options. (Except low index polycarbonate does not cost extra.) So far as I know, though, Zenni does not offer glass lenses.
Greg, retired 8/10.
GregLee

Postby travelerfromsj » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:06 am

I used eyebuydirect last year and justeyewear last month. Both were fast and inexpensive, and I would use them again. The real difficulty is trying to pick a pair of frames that will suit you, using just pictures and measurements from a web site. Mostly I've used them to buy backup pairs.
travelerfromsj

Postby Dougroseville » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:53 am

I have also had good luck with http://www.eyebuydirect.com, too. They may have a buy one, get one free offer now (or it might just be for repeat customers). Obviously, single vision lenses are lower risk to buy online. Honestly, eyeglasses from opticians in the US are usually a major rip-off.
Dougroseville

Postby green tea » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:22 pm

You should check out Costco’s optical section. They do not have a large selection but they carry good frames and the prices of the lenses are about half of the price of same lenses at the regular optical stores.
If you can’t find any frame that you like at Costco, you can buy one elsewhere/online and have Costco put the lenses in as well. (They do charge extra $8- $10 for tracing charge).
green tea

Postby tyd450 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:25 pm

I love coastal.... great frames... have 2 from there, the first was using the firstpairfree promo code and the second was someother facebook free pair promo. You end up paying about $10 after shipping and other fees.
tyd450

Postby greg24 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:34 pm

I ordered 3 pairs from Zenni about 1.5 years ago, for $200 total. I was tired of getting ripped off at the Lenscrafters kind of places. Boutiques even more expensive.

Of the three pairs, only one did I spend the necessary amount to get thinner lenses, as I also have a strong prescription. One I didn't like the frame, and another I didn't like the thickness. So I wore the single pair for the past 1.5 years. The quality is lower then Lenscrafters, mainly in that the frame was lighter and more easily damaged. But I liked having a lighter frame on my face.

Coincidentally, just yesterday I pulled out the pair that I decided was "too thick" and started wearing them. Its nice having a brand new pair.

For my next pair, I'm going to order from Zenni again and make sure I buy the thinnest and best lens options they offer. It will still likely be much lower than the walk-in stores.

I also really like being able to order a sunglasses clip for basically any frame, although they don't guarantee a perfect match. But they are cheap, something like 3.95, so I bought 6 of them.
greg24

Postby SnapShots » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:35 pm

Wow! this web site Rocks! with all sorts of good info. Why can't you purchase the glass frames online, take them to an optical shot and get your lens?
the best decision many times is the hardest to do
SnapShots

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby Go Blue 99 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:59 pm

Coastal often has deals for free prescription eyeglasses (plus a small shipping charge). People over at SlickDeals have great experiences with them too.
Go Blue 99

Postby Fallible » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Many thanks for the advice on this thread as I now wear glasses most of the time and always wondered whether to try buying online. Buying from local opticians, I do get discounts for progressive lenses but the cost has still worked out to about $300.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." ~ Richard Feynman
Fallible

Postby ataloss » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:19 am

A family friend was in the business until recently. Per him, even the designer labels are fairly cheap for the optical shops, and the shops have the gigantic markups on frames (1000% is not unusual and some of them are considerably higher). The cost of eye exams does not really cover more than the optometrists' time, so the frames basically keep the shops running.

so is there any difficulty in getting a prescription from them? I wondered if they would charge more for the exam if you don't by frames
ataloss

Postby interplanetjanet » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:59 am

ataloss wrote:

so is there any difficulty in getting a prescription from them? I wondered if they would charge more for the exam if you don't by frames

If they give you grief about getting your prescription, you can get them in hot water with the FTC:

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title16/16-1.0.1.4.54.html
§ 456.2 Separation of examination and dispensing.

It is an unfair act or practice for an ophthalmologist or optometrist to:

(a) Fail to provide to the patient one copy of the patient's prescription immediately after the eye examination is completed. Provided: An ophthalmologist or optometrist may refuse to give the patient a copy of the patient's prescription until the patient has paid for the eye examination, but only if that ophthalmologist or optometrist would have required immediate payment from that patient had the examination revealed that no ophthalmic goods were required;

(b) Condition the availability of an eye examination to any person on a requirement that the patient agree to purchase any ophthalmic goods from the ophthalmologist or optometrist;

(c) Charge the patient any fee in addition to the ophthalmologist's or optometrist's examination fee as a condition to releasing the prescription to the patient. Provided: An ophthalmologist or optometrist may charge an additional fee for verifying ophthalmic goods dispensed by another seller when the additional fee is imposed at the time the verification is performed;

-janet
interplanetjanet

Postby interplanetjanet » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:13 am

greg24 wrote:Of the three pairs, only one did I spend the necessary amount to get thinner lenses, as I also have a strong prescription.

Just a quick note about optical materials:

The most common material for glasses lenses is known as CR39 resin. This actually has quite good optical qualities for a plastic, suffers from relatively low chromatic aberration (color fringing) and is one of the most scratch-resistant plastics there is. Its main drawback is that it has a relatively low index of refraction, so thick lenses are required for high prescriptions.

Probably the next most common material you will run into is polycarbonate. This has excellent impact resistance, but most of its other qualities are actually remarkably bad. It has just about the worst chromatic aberration of any optical material you will find in glasses and is much more susceptable to scratches (even with "scratch resistant" coatings) than CR39, as it is much softer. It has a lower density than CR39, so glasses are lighter for a given prescription.

A step up from here you find the "high index" plastics. These require less material per lens and so the lenses can be thin and light. Optical qualities are good, almost as good as CR39, and chromatic aberration is usually acceptable. Scratch resistance is closer to CR39 than polycarbonate.

Crown glass is the classic "glass" of the glasses world. This has excellent optical qualities, low chromatic aberration and excellent scratch resistance, superior to all plastics. Its main drawback is weight.

Finally, there is high index glass. Zeiss Lantal is one major brand. This combines very good optical qualities with excellent scratch resistance and lenses can be made very thin, so weight is comparable with some of the better plastics. This is the premium lens material of choice in some areas outside of the USA - within the USA, there's a general resistance to using glass, and high index glass can be ground so thin (1mm at the center!) that some people have safety concerns with how it may shatter. USA and non-USA tests in this area differ, that's all I can really say there.

The durability of coatings, such as antireflective ones, actually match up closely to the hardness of the underlying lens. AR coatings on glass are extremely durable, while AR coatings on polycarbonate tend to wear more rapidly. Per my friend, you can imagine the coating as being like a piece of crepe paper sitting on top something hard (like a counter) or soft (like a pillow). Poke at the paper on the pillow and you will likely make a hole in it, while poking at the paper on the counter will not do nearly as much.

My prescription is mild to medium and I'm very picky about optical quality, so I wear either CR39 (for my big sunglasses) or plain crown glass with an AR coating (for my nighttime glasses). If my prescription was strong I would probably seek out high index glass or plastic, but I'd definitely steer clear of polycarbonate unless it was for safety glasses. Some people are not bothered by the decrease in visual acuity it gives, though.

My kids get plain, uncoated CR39. It's the most durable combination other than glass for a child that will clean their lenses on their shirt if they have to. I think that the safety increase with polycarbonate is not significant unless there are some extremely high-impact activities happening.

-janet
interplanetjanet

Postby climber2020 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:13 am

interplanetjanet wrote:
ataloss wrote:

If they give you grief about getting your prescription, you can get them in hot water with the FTC:

(a) Fail to provide to the patient one copy of the patient's prescription immediately after the eye examination is completed. Provided: An ophthalmologist or optometrist may refuse to give the patient a copy of the patient's prescription until the patient has paid for the eye examination, but only if that ophthalmologist or optometrist would have required immediate payment from that patient had the examination revealed that no ophthalmic goods were required;

(b) Condition the availability of an eye examination to any person on a requirement that the patient agree to purchase any ophthalmic goods from the ophthalmologist or optometrist;

(c) Charge the patient any fee in addition to the ophthalmologist's or optometrist's examination fee as a condition to releasing the prescription to the patient. Provided: An ophthalmologist or optometrist may charge an additional fee for verifying ophthalmic goods dispensed by another seller when the additional fee is imposed at the time the verification is performed;

-janet

A clarification to this point: most ophthalmologists charge an extra refraction fee for glasses that is separate from what your medical insurance covers. For some reason, medicare and private insurers do not reimburse this portion of the exam (which is unfortunate, because 99 times out of 100 it is the most time consuming thing we do in the office) so the fee is charged directly to the patient. Most practices should have this disclaimer in writing within the mounds of paperwork you have to fill out before seeing the doctor.
climber2020

Postby GregLee » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 pm

interplanetjanet wrote:I think that the safety increase with polycarbonate is not significant unless there are some extremely high-impact activities happening.

Polycarbonate has better UV protection, though that might also be provided by a coating.
Greg, retired 8/10.
GregLee

Postby lightheir » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 pm

interplanetjanet wrote:
ataloss wrote:

-janet

As a consumer, you may have to be insistent about your rights to your prescription and no obligation to buy frames from the optometrist/ophtho.

I've been to 3 different opticians in Los Angeles, all of them reputable but small private outfits, and in all of them, they declined to offer me my prescription in writing after the exam, and steered me immediately to frame selection. I already knew that I wouldn't buy frames there, so I asked for my prescription, and it was a minor ordeal in each, case, with them asking me 'why?' (like it's any of their business) and in one case telling me I'd have to wait and come back to pick it up because they were 'too busy to write it out.' Fortunately I lived right around the block so I indeed came back to pick it up, but they lost my business for the future. In all 3 cases, the optometrist looked at me with a dour, unapproving eye while they wrote out the script - made me feel like I wasn't welcome at all in their establishment.

I've since switched to an optho who doesn't have a big frame-selling business as he works in a hospital-based clinic, and there's no hard sell on the frames.
lightheir

Postby protagonist » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:29 am

I've gotten three pairs of titanium alloy rimless reading glasses from Zenni over the past 5 years at excellent prices. I've been happy with all three...I'm fairly hard on them and they have all held up well. My ophthalmologist checked the optics on one pair and was impressed.

Make sure you tell your optometrist/ophthalmologist to indicate the PD (pupillary distance) on your prescription- it is necessary. If you don't ask, often they leave this crucial piece of info out because it makes it impossible to order glasses from an outside shop without it. You can also measure your PD yourself...as another poster stated, Zenni will send you a measuring device, or you can probably copy one online.

You can also go to a local big box shop such as Lens Crafters to try on numerous pairs to see what looks good on you (I don't like doing this with local businesses but have no guilt feelings at the chains...you have to do what you feel comfortable with). There is data on their sample rims (often on the inside of one "arm")....looks like cryptic numbers, but encoded within is info such as the arm length, dimensions of the rims, etc. This is valuable info to have if you want to find a similar pair online, so it is worth copying once you find what fits you well.
protagonist

Postby ataloss » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:22 pm

wow, great information. I will ask for CR39 next time. I have polycarbonate for some reason. When I used to wear a high minus prescription the chromatic aberration was very noticeable. (Now -2 range)

I had good luck with just telling the frame seller I wanted something cheap and avoiding the upsell. I think they usually start in the high end frames :D
ataloss

Postby yoshald » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:28 am

brief: I believe the lenses I got from Zenni are introducing "higher-order aberrations" and I'm not happy with them. I found their return policy reasonable given their low prices. I could return them for 50% refund, but decided it was worth keeping them for reading. Zenni's service has been good (needed to send glasses to them for inspection). In the end, I'd have rather put the money towards better glasses.

full story: I'm coming up on 40 and am starting to find glasses helpful. My RX is basically +1.25, +1.00 and some astigmatism correction. I bought my first ever pair of glasses from Zenni. I've found them only good for reading, though after rechecking my eyes with the OD, she said again said I should see all distances better with glasses. However, the farther something is, the "hazier" it looks, though it also looks a tiny bit sharper at the same time. The haziness is too distracting and it negates any benefit to using them. Even watching TV or a film in a theater with subtitles, I see a ghost image of the white text in a bluer color. Same effect with Walmart cheaters. Theater looks really hazy. The distance from the true text image increases as I increase my distance from the screen. I actually found this thread by googling "Chromatic aberration zenni" I've been confounded to figure out what's going on before. My OD had no idea what I was talking about, but her optician said there is a difference between traditional spherical lenses Zenni likely makes and new "digital" or free-form lenses. I believe the lenses I got from Zenni are introducing "higher-order aberrations". I may try another OD that tests for higher-order issues and accordingly buy glasses with free-form lenses. I need to inform myself more. By the way, while having my eyes rechecked, I propped my new glasses on my cap, on my head. Later during the exam, forgetting where I perched my glasses, I lifted my cap off, and my glasses scratched on the phoropter. When I sent my eyeglasses to Zenni for inspection, they found they were manufactured to spec and gave me option to keep or return. I opted to keep them, and requested they replace them, as per their warranty (1 month), and they are doing so now.

Interesting note. I thought my vision was "perfect" but I hadn't had an eye exam in a long time. It still is basically good. During the exam, I could notice one eye doesn't show as much detail (from astigmatism). I now also notice a hint of either dioplia or more likely chromatic aberration without using glasses. I can see a very faint ghost image or color fuzziness in one eye on one axis, and to a lesser degree, on a different axis in the other eye. Never noticed it before. Doesn't bother me.

My OD did not do this test which would seem useful to me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duochrome_test followed from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/wa ... lenses.htm
yoshald

Postby g$$ » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:53 am

I have a pair of Warby Parker sunglasses that I have been very happy with. I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

They even let you order 5 pairs of glasses for free to try on at home for a week to see which you like the best.
g$$

Postby Viking65 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:57 am

You might want to check out the Glassy Eyes blog (http://glassyeyes.blogspot.no/) for lots of information on discount mail order glasses. This is how I found Zenni and 39DollarGlasses (http://www.39dollarglasses.com/). Generally I have been quite happy with both, but I think the turn-around time and customer service are more consistent at 39Dollar. I would highly recommend.
Viking65

Postby mike143 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:14 pm

mike143 wrote:$12 coastal.com http://slickdeals.net/f/4247026-Coastal ... st49493280

http://www.coastal.com/glasses/cCouponE ... asses.html

They are my computer glasses. They are slightly less prescription than my everyday distance glasses. Just paid $200 for new Seiko lenses in my Versace frames. I would rock these if my expensive set broke.

I bought the base lenses and even though they have a selection for coated lenses I did not opt for that but my lenses arrived with AR coating.

Since making this post in June all I wear are my $12 glasses. I like the fact I don't have to worry about them. If they break they were only $12. They are so similar in design to my Versace that no one noticed I switched.
Nothing is free, someone pays.
mike143

Postby freddie2011 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:14 am

I had a pair of very expensive progressives that I hated -- they were so lightweight that they did not stay in place and I was constantly reaching up to adjust them. I saw that Coastal had a free coupon which I used to order a simple single vision pair (after upgrading to a thin lens, they cost $48). The glasses arrived in about 4 days and were perfect. I thought their frames selection was a bit limited, but the ones I chose were nice although they were darker than they appeared on my computer. I believe they have expanded their selection since then (Spring 2012). I would have no problem ordering from them again if they had frames I liked -- the lenses were perfect. Once you buy from them, they send lots of discount offers for future glasses.
freddie2011

Postby SPG8 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:44 am

interplanetjanet wrote:This is the premium lens material of choice in some areas outside of the USA - within the USA, there's a general resistance to using glass, and high index glass can be ground so thin (1mm at the center!) that some people have safety concerns with how it may shatter. USA and non-USA tests in this area differ, that's all I can really say there.

Back in the day, we either heat or chemically treated glass lenses to confer shatter resistance. To establish that this was accomplished, the lens is positioned at the bottom of a vertical pipe which is about 3-4 feet high, and a metal ball maybe 25 mm in diameter is dropped on it. A great moment, really, and failure was often accompanied by wailing and gnashing of teeth, as glass lenses are much more difficult to manufacture.

We'd occasionally have Euros complain about the thickness because they typically have a fashion sensibility that rivals their appreciation of food, and which exceeds the domestic standard (well, except for the English). It's a little bit misleading, as the principle thing to alter for reduced lens thickness is the size of the frame. Here's a nifty Lens Thickness Calculator to demonstrate.

At the bottom, for real prisoners of their prescription, you'll see the roll & polish, but that's old-school craftsmanship, and I'd shudder to think what passes nowadays.

The rest of the world often plays it fast and loose with regulations, which is usually fine until it isn't.
SPG8

Return to Personal Consumer Issues