50 things to do before the Sun goes down

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

50 things to do before the Sun goes down

Post by Rick Ferri »

I am compiling a list for a potential e-book about the top 50 things people say they need to do before they leave this great Earth. Perhaps you can help. Here are some ideas I have so far, in no particular order:

- Visit all the state parks where you live.
- Become a mentor to someone in need.
- Support a Charity with your time and money.
- Fly an airplane, drive a motorcycle, parachute, or something else thrilling.
- Write your life story (even if only your kids read it)
- Learn to sing, dance, or play a musical instrument
- Find out who your great-grandparents were and what they did.
- Take an art or photograph class and learn to post pictures on the Internet.
- Buy more locally made goods.
- Do and estate plan so your children don't fight.
- Visit a poor country.
- Go to a concert to see your favorite rock band from your youth.
- Make amends with all estranged children an other formerly close family members.
- Start a garden and grow your own vegetables
- Adopt a homeless pet.
- Become politically active.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper to bring an issue to light.

Now it's your turn.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Johm221122

Re: 50 things to do before the Sun goes down

Post by Johm221122 »

See the Smithsonian in DC
Take grandkids to Disneyland
goalie

Post by goalie »

Visit The White House :happy
Chip
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Hold newborn great-great-great-grandchild in one's arms.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

See the transit of Venus before the sun goes down on June 5th. It may not actually be all that exciting, but it is definitely a twice-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and if you didn't see it in 2004, this is your last chance until 2117.

I did not like the movie, The Bucket List, and its view of life-fulfillment through the passive consumption of tourist experiences.

I believe the best way to deal with bucket lists is to be aware of cool things that happen to you as they happen, things that you realize, after the fact, that were glad you did before you died--even if you never even thought about it until they happened. For example, after we saw Sabbaday Falls in New Hampshire I could have put it on the list. Not because it's objectively all that spectacular, but because we knew nothing about it, we'd been driving with the kids and we were tired and getting cranky, and we stopped a little roadside parking lot with a park service sign and walked in, without the slightest idea of what Sabbaday Falls was. We ate oranges and saltines, and it was like 1/4 mile in, and the woods were cool on a hot day, and there it was, the most perfect little miniature waterfall, and it was exactly what we needed at the time we needed it. We went back to the car relaxed and giggling. Completely silly, nothing to it, yet also one of the great moments of my life to date.

Some suggestions for life events to put on your bucket list if they happen, after they happen, if you realize that these particular events were bucket-list-worthy for you. Some generic, some that have happened to me. Some overlap with Rick's list.

1) Reading book X for the first time. X will be different for everyone, of course. It's whatever book does it for you, probably won't be Great Literature. For me: possibly H. G. Wells' The Time Machine.

2) Discovering that some darn bird or plant or weed or something that's been in your neighborhood all your life and that you've never thought twice about, is an exciting exotic wonder to someone from out of town.

3) Having your mom explain to you that the reason why the list of planets in Herbert S. Zim's Stars includes one named "Earth" is because the Earth is a planet.

4) Being in a place where the sky is so dark that you can notice the Milky Way even when you aren't looking for it. Being in a place where you have trouble recognizing the familiar constellations because there are so many bright-looking stars that the ones that mark the ends of the stick figures are hard to pick out from the bright sparkly stuff around them.

5) Suddenly being thunderstruck with the realization that something is so cool that it is what you want to do as your career, whether or not it pays good money.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
schnoodlemom

Post by schnoodlemom »

Thank you to Mr. Ferri for starting the thread! Many of the bucket list items are either already my goals or are inspiring enough to add. Also, thank you to nisiprius for the Sabbaday Falls story. It's the reason I write #1 on my list.

The only things I can think to add at the moment...

- cultivate an attitude of gratitude for each and every day.

- reduce my clutter, so that moving on either in this life or beyond is easier on everyone.

- simplify household & garden chores to have more quality time with loved ones.

- participate more in cultural & community events.

- visit as many of the major (American) national parks as possible.

- host an international exchange student.
InvestoGuy

Post by InvestoGuy »

Impact someones life positively.
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

People interested in this thread's topic may also find "food for thought" in these earlier ones:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13323

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45076
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Do what makes you happy.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
fundtalker123

Post by fundtalker123 »

livesoft wrote:Hold newborn great-great-great-grandchild in one's arms.
Sure, if you have a kid when you're 13, your kid has a kid at 13, you grandkid has a kid at 13, etc, etc, etc, you'd only be 78.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

While I do some of this via Google Earth these days, I would like to do it in person...

- Revisit all the homes you lived in during your life, all the schools and all the workplaces, taking time to reflect on how each impacted your life and who you became.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
traineeinvestor

Post by traineeinvestor »

Consistently outperform the market over a long period if time :twisted:

Take part in a protest

Perform an an amateur drama or musical production

Run for public office

Complete an endurance sports event (marathon, trans-ocean yacht race, whatever works for you)

Learn a foreign language

Retire early....really early

Write a book (bonus: get it published even if self published)
Bob's not my name

Post by Bob's not my name »

Spend time and money with your family when you're 20-50, and retire when you're 75.
ScottW999

Post by ScottW999 »

Hike the Grand Canyon, rim to rim. ( With guided group is acceptable.)
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

schnoodlemom wrote:- cultivate an attitude of gratitude for each and every day.
This is the essence of it all for me. Everything else enhances things by providing more to be satisfied and grateful for. I think of maintaining an attitude of gratitude as the equivalent of the "live below your means" financial maxim. Everything else depends on doing this right.

Jerry
Last edited by NAVigator on Thu May 24, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
Mr Grumpy

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Having just attended a funeral last Saturday, I'm starting to realize that time is the most precious thing I possess as I get older (65). That's not exactly news, but life does bring home that point. I do have a bucket list of things to do - in fact, my wife and I just returned from a baseball stadium tour in selected cities with more to come over the next few years. Good fun that.

But on the important things - we do what we are. Belief systems, health concerns, family situations; all can impinge on the time left, so I've tried to make my bucket list specific with the knowing that if there are very few check marks next to some of the things, that's fine with me. Rick's list is very eclectic, but would be too full a plate for me. I'm amending my list so that the first thing on my bucket list is, "die with as few regrets as possible". How so? By helping as many people as I can in whatever way that help manifests itself. No one's going to mistake me for Mother Teresa, but I can try to do that.

Sorry to be so serious, but Rick's question made me think of that funeral and also of a long-time friend who lives a life of self-absorption and self-satisfaction. He's very honest about that and regards anyone who volunteers a fool. I've noticed over the years his world gets smaller. As in all facets of life, balance is important,and thank you Rick for the thread and making me think about this.
Cuzz35

Post by Cuzz35 »

My mother and sister died when I was a young boy. I have a one year old son now. While it is very likely that I will be around to see him grow up into a man, I know it is not guaranteed. So for this reason most of my to do list involves him.

-seeing him grow up
-throwing ball with him
-takingto him fishing
-father, son, grandfather camping trip
-visit europe WWII sights
frugalhen

Post by frugalhen »

Visit Omaha beach in Normandy, then say a prayer of thanksgiving for those who sacrificed for your freedom

Tell everyone you love in your life why you love them
"get out and live, you are dead an awfully long time" - Jimmy Demaret
thegr881

Post by thegr881 »

Don't Ignore your DREAMS
Don't Work too much
Say what you think
Cultivate FRIENDSHIPS
BE HAPPY
nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 »

1.Forgive everyone that you think has wronged you. 2. Repair the relationships in your life that are broken as best you can. 3. Love the unlovable. 4. Do something totally unexpected for some deserving person and expect nothing in return. 5. Give more and take less.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 2018 no. 175 2019 no. 144 6 year average 157.83. Proves I am just an average investor.What do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

NAVigator wrote:
This is the essence of it all for me. Everything else enhances things by providing more to be satisfied and grateful for. I think of maintaining an attitude of gratitude as the equivalent of the "live below your means" financial maxim. Everything else depends on doing this right.

Jerry
Clearly, the finest words I'm likely to read today. Thank you both, schnoodlemom and Jerry.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
hidesert

Post by hidesert »

1. Be present for the delivery of a baby
2. Attend a Space Shuttle launch (oh wait! Too late :( )
jaia

Post by jaia »

Great list
As someone who just hit 60, I would add:

Get or stay healthy so you can better enjoy all the above things.
Get active if you haven't been - walk, ride the bike paths, learn yoga,...
Learn to cook healthy foods, and experiment
Take community college or museum classes in fields you know nothing about
Try to get to know new people outside of your normal circles

And I will repeat, look for ways to volunteer and help others
JPH

Post by JPH »

Take back a few things I have done. There was a TV show a few years back about a guy who had wroned some people in his past, and now he was attempting to make it up to each one. Maybe something like that.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Rick Ferri wrote:I am compiling a list for a potential e-book about the top 50 things people say they need to do before they leave this great Earth. Perhaps you can help.
Im lucky enough to have already done most of the things that would be on my "bucket list".

I've been to 49 out of the 50 US states (just Hawaii left!), plus about half of Canada. I've skydived, bungee jumped, soloed and gotten my pilot's certificate, and finished multiple marathons. I've finished college, separately studied several foreign languages to the point where I can fumble through them at least, learned about wine, learned to dance (poorly, but still), become proficient at several musical instruments. Gotten married. Started a garden. Traveled overseas. Maintained good relationships with my family. Seen Ray Charles in concert.

Really, I could die today without too much regret. Which is actually kind of comforting, and I do not take it for granted.

What's left? Hmmm... finish out the states and Canada, of course. I'm actually going back and revisiting them all with my wife so we can complete our 50 states together. :happy

I've always wanted to do a transatlantic cruise on the QM2 or similar grand oceanliner. I used to want to then fly back on the Concorde, but so much for that idea. I'd like to have been an astronaut and go into space, but that's not too likely at my age and background, so I guess I'll just have to hope for affordable space tourism before I die.

I'd like to visit the island of Islay, in Scotland, and tour every distillery there. I'd like to see the Norwegian fjords (and perhaps pine for them later).

JJ
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Visit Yellowstone.

Help as many people as you can.

Make peace with your God.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
chaz

Post by chaz »

FabLab wrote:
NAVigator wrote:

Jerry
Clearly, the finest words I'm likely to read today. Thank you both, schnoodlemom and Jerry.
I agree.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
BigD53

Post by BigD53 »

I would finally like to meet one good woman... that's not nuts, psycho, irresponsible, a spend thrift, a liar, or a cheater!! :beer

(I need a good "Boglehead" woman!)
daggerboard

Post by daggerboard »

JupiterJones wrote: I'd like to visit the island of Islay, in Scotland, and tour every distillery there.
JJ
Ooh, ooh .... me too please!
btenny

Post by btenny »

To Nisiprius and others who are into star gazing. I just got back from Kitt Peak in southern Arizona. It is about 40 miles outside of Tuscon and is open to all kinds of tours. They have the biggest collection of optical telescopes in the world. We spent the afternoon looking at the big solar telescope and giant 4 meter optical telescope and the other 2-3 meter telescopes. Then we spent about 4 hours that evening star gazing with really good binoculars and using the Kitt 16 inch telescope to look at various stars and planets. We saw Mizar (part of the big dipper and a dual star) and the M3 globular star cluster and Venus and Saturn and lots of other neat things. It was great. Here is a link to the Kitt website.

http://www.noao.edu/kpno/

So if are into star gazing and in southern Arizona for a day I highly recommend a visit to this attraction...
Bill
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

BigD53 wrote:I would finally like to meet one good woman... that's not nuts, psycho, irresponsible, a spend thrift, a liar, or a cheater!! :beer

You're out of luck. I got her. :greedy

Seriously, I hope you can find one too. I can attest to the fact that they do exist.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
leod

Post by leod »

FrugalInvestor wrote:
BigD53 wrote:I would finally like to meet one good woman... that's not nuts, psycho, irresponsible, a spend thrift, a liar, or a cheater!! :beer

You're out of luck. I got her. :greedy

Seriously, I hope you can find one too. I can attest to the fact that they do exist.
if Looks is not an the list then there's someone out there j/k