Retiring [to Florida?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fancyrick63

Retiring [to Florida?]

Post by fancyrick63 »

Wanted to get the members opinions on the pro and cons of moving to Florida sometime this year after we sell our house and my wife retires. Currently residing in Colorado for approx 22 years, want a change and would like to move to a warmer climate without state taxes. Looking at the the St.Augustine area approx. 20 miles inland like the northereastern part ofthe state for change of seasons and not as hot.

Housing prices are down considerably in Florida, looking for a smaller ranch type house (hard to find new in Colorado plus real estate has become expensive here). Like the ocean, enjoy the many activities in Florida especially on or near the water. Also have some family in the Sarasota area as well. Would greatly appreciate all of your opinons. Will initially rent for a period of 6 to 12 months to make sure we like living in Florida as well as travel throughout Florida to find a specific area to live in whether that is St. Augustine or somewhere else in Florida. Thank you in advance for your time and your objective opinions. Please be as specific as possible in regards to the pros and cons, also any recommendations as to where to live in Florida would greatly appreciated as well.
tibbitts

Re: Retiring

Post by tibbitts »

fancyrick63 wrote:Wanted to get the members opinions on the pro and cons of moving to Florida sometime this year after we sell our house and my wife retires. Currently residing in Colorado for approx 22 years, want a change and would like to move to a warmer climate without state taxes.
You shouldn't put too much emphasis on the state income tax situation. The actual living expenses in various states don't necessarily correlate to income taxes. Differences in property/vehicle/health insurance, property/sales taxes, and other expenses, can easily be as significant for many people as income taxes. Some of these can be local issues that vary considerably between various counties and cities within a state. Also some states have income tax exemptions for some types of income that can be very significant, particularly post-retirement. I'm just suggesting that you might not want to use state income tax as a primary consideration for where to relocate.

Paul
jidina80

Post by jidina80 »

I considered retiring in Florida but dismissed it after a few vacations there. Too many old people and mosquitoes. Maybe a college town there would be okay.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

tibbitts wrote:
fancyrick63 wrote:Wanted to get the members opinions on the pro and cons of moving to Florida sometime this year after we sell our house and my wife retires. Currently residing in Colorado for approx 22 years, want a change and would like to move to a warmer climate without state taxes.
You shouldn't put too much emphasis on the state income tax situation. The actual living expenses in various states don't necessarily correlate to income taxes. Differences in property/vehicle/health insurance, property/sales taxes, and other expenses, can easily be as significant for many people as income taxes. Some of these can be local issues that vary considerably between various counties and cities within a state. Also some states have income tax exemptions for some types of income that can be very significant, particularly post-retirement. I'm just suggesting that you might not want to use state income tax as a primary consideration for where to relocate.

Paul
good point about other costs balancing out the no tax status. when we first came to southern Florida, I called the insurers that handled my supplemental Medicare coverage as well as the auto carrier. up went our costs - immediately. and because communities do not get to share state income tax, property taxes and other fees keep rising.

so, despite the other post about old folks, I hope they did not mean the wife and I, and the mosquitoes which somehow did not make it to our part of Palm Beach County, Florida is really a great place to retire. just as Paul said, no income tax should not be the only criteria. and as other threads have mentioned, spend a few weeks checking out the area as to the amenities you are looking for and the lifestyle that various sections of Florida offers. and Florida is loaded with colleges and universities along with ballet companies, museums and off-Broadway productions.
Good luck
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
hq38sq43

Post by hq38sq43 »

fancyrick63 wrote:Wanted to get the members opinions on the pro and cons of moving to Florida sometime this year after we sell our house and my wife retires. Currently residing in Colorado for approx 22 years, want a change and would like to move to a warmer climate without state taxes. Looking at the the St.Augustine area approx. 20 miles inland like the northereastern part ofthe state for change of seasons and not as hot.

Housing prices are down considerably in Florida, looking for a smaller ranch type house (hard to find new in Colorado plus real estate has become expensive here). Like the ocean, enjoy the many activities in Florida especially on or near the water. Also have some family in the Sarasota area as well. Would greatly appreciate all of your opinons. Will initially rent for a period of 6 to 12 months to make sure we like living in Florida as well as travel throughout Florida to find a specific area to live in whether that is St. Augustine or somewhere else in Florida. Thank you in advance for your time and your objective opinions. Please be as specific as possible in regards to the pros and cons, also any recommendations as to where to live in Florida would greatly appreciated as well.
For years, wife and I vacationed each February with friends in or around Orlando. After each vacation, asked whether wife wanted to consider retiring to Fl. Each time: "absolutely not!" Three years ago, accepted invitation from old friends from Foreign Service days to visit them in Bradenton. After 2-day visit , same question. Answer: when do we move?

Immediately after returning to DC, made offer on house next door to friends. Sold our DC house three weeks later. Three months later, became Bradenton residents. Wife continues nearly euphoric; I am content: Sarasota opera, ballet, Ringling Art museum, etc. for her; tennis and my small tax prep business for me. Life is good. Come on down.
Harry at Bradenton
Watty

Post by Watty »

Homeowners insurance can be very expensive there and many insurance companies have left Florida after the hurricanes a few years ago so you may not have a good selection of insurance companies to choose from.

If you are buying a Condo or in a subdivision that has a lot of services provided by the HOA then take a very hard look at the finances of these organizations. Many of them are having trouble because so many people have walked away and not paid their fees.

One of my neighbors Mom recently passed away and they are selling her condo in Florida for the price of a high end car so there are deals there. It needs things like new carpets, paint , kitchen upgrades, etc but the buyers are paying cash for it in "as is" condition and are being very cooperative with getting the condo through the probate process which is why selling it at such a low price is a "win/win" deal in the current market. When you get ready to buy if you can find something like this then even with the remodeling cost it will likely be a better deal than looking for a house that is in move in condition.

I am in Georgia and it has lots of pros and cons too but they recently greatly cut back taxes on retirees income so many(probably most) retired people will not pay any state income tax. A few of the counties in Georgia, including mine, also do not charge retirees school property tax so that once we qualify my property tax bill will go down to about $700 a year for a nice mid-range house. This means that if I stay in Georgia when I retire then I will pay sales tax, a couple of hundred dollars a year car registration, $700 in property tax, and that is pretty much it. I'm not necessarily recommending Georgia as a retirement destination but just using it as an example of what the real retirement cost would be compared to what you might see in the "best places" lists.

If moving to a low cost area is one of your main selection criteria then it would be good to keep an open mind and select a half dozen possible areas and spend the time to research them.

In Georgia termites can be major problem if your house is not monitored by a termite company. As I recall they are even worse in Florida so you need to be very careful about termite damage if you are looking at a house that has been vacant for a year or two because of a foreclosure.
Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer »

I live in South FL near West Palm Beach. The weather is great and the skies are sunny.

What I don't like: high property and auto insurance costs, risk and hassle of hurricanes, scary aggressive bad drivers, too many New Yorkers (in South FL), conservative mentality, government corruption, busy restaurants in winter, too many old people (I say that and I'm 62), and overly liberal gun laws (I am a gun owner but I don't want my neighbourhood watch guy getting a free pass to shoot me).

But the winter weather is nice in South FL.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Ozonewanderer wrote:I live in South FL near West Palm Beach. The weather is great and the skies are sunny.

What I don't like: high property and auto insurance costs, risk and hassle of hurricanes, scary aggressive bad drivers, too many New Yorkers (in South FL), conservative mentality, government corruption, busy restaurants in winter, too many old people (I say that and I'm 62), and overly liberal gun laws (I am a gun owner but I don't want my neighbourhood watch guy getting a free pass to shoot me).

+1 :thumbsup
one theory (okay, it is mine) is that there are so many old folks down here because the life style - you pick it, golf, tennis. swimming, biking or just walking on a sunny day - allows you to be active well into later life.

the tennis league I play in just had an awards luncheon and they honored the 8-10 World War II vets still playing with us. one of them was the best player on my team - @ 88 - and other than looking like Brad Pitt and moving like Nadal, @ 88 I would like to play tennis the way this guy does! JUST DO NOT BE A SNOW BIRD, we have enough of those already...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

fancyrick63 wrote:Wanted to get the members opinions on the pro and cons of moving to Florida sometime this year after we sell our house and my wife retires. Currently residing in Colorado for approx 22 years, want a change and would like to move to a warmer climate without state taxes. Looking at the the St.Augustine area approx. 20 miles inland like the northereastern part ofthe state for change of seasons and not as hot.

Try to rent down there for a *whole* year before you buy. You don't know yet whether you will like it and where you will live that would be best: a very diverse state, just read the stuff here.

I have to admit Colorado sounds like my idea of retirement heaven: hiking in summer, skiing in winter, lots of clean air (outside of Denver). Mountains. To each his own of course-- I imagine after a bad winter it can get old real fast.

If I was going South in USA I'd probably be thinking North Carolina of some such, but I don't know it well.

But you want to keep your options as open as possible, really.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Texas weather better than Florida.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Muchtolearn

Post by Muchtolearn »

From what I have seen and experienced, Florida is uninhabitable from about May to September. That is unless you buy the statement that it doesn't matter because one goes from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned car, etc. I have mantained my physician license there for 25 years. Next renewal I am going go pass. [political comment removed by Mod]
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Muchtolearn wrote:From what I have seen and experienced, Florida is uninhabitable from about May to September. That is unless you buy the statement that it doesn't matter because one goes from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned car, etc. I have mantained my physician license there for 25 years. Next renewal I am going go pass.
the misinformation and rumor of extreme weather was one of the better non-partisan things we did down here. it limited the number of snow birds that over stay their welcome and left the roads open for us older folk to play bumper cars on I-95!

seriously, pick an area, Texas, Arizona, the Carolina's, even California and they each have strong and weak points. one suggestion, if you are looking into an "over fifty-five" community, if you do not know people there, then consider a new development. that would be great for getting right into the social flow. [response to OT comment deleted by admin alex]..
JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq »

Muchtolearn wrote:From what I have seen and experienced, Florida is uninhabitable from about May to September.
We're happy you feel that way. It makes it much nicer for the rest of us to enjoy during those months.
John
deerhunter

Post by deerhunter »

We stay January and February near South Padre Island in Texas. Love it . I stay out of Illinois, New York, and California because of their stupid gun laws.
Living off the land is a family tradition.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We have been to Sarasota many times, and are heading there in a couple of months. An amazing area that you will enjoy.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
amarone

Post by amarone »

Watty wrote:This means that if I stay in Georgia when I retire then I will pay... a couple of hundred dollars a year car registration,
Even that is being eliminated for cars bought after March 1, 2013
Alex Frakt
Founder

Re: Retiring [to Florida?]

Post by Alex Frakt »

Note. Opinions on controversial laws are OT here, even if they involve one of the top news stories of the day. I'll also note that it is unreasonable to form any conclusions about FL law based on this matter until the legal system has taken its course.
justkb

Post by justkb »

Over the years, I've vacationed in different parts of Florida. One year we went to St. Augustine, and loved it! For me, Daytona and the space center are relatively close, and the weather still changes seasonally. On the Gulf Coast, I have stayed in Port Charlotte, Treasure Island, and will be heading to The Villages this coming winter. Personally, I like the idea of staying a bit further inland, such as The Villages, since the wind is scrubbed off just a bit during a big storm. Good luck in your journey!

Ken
imagardener

Post by imagardener »

Ozonewanderer wrote:I live in South FL near West Palm Beach. The weather is great and the skies are sunny.

Hahaha. I grew up in West Palm Beach and after college swore I'd never live in Florida again for some of the reasons you mention. But after retiring from the northeast Mid-Atlantic we fell in love with the west coast of Florida. Lived in Naples for 10 years and moved because our HOA went psycho. Now live in paradise a few hours north of there in a Mayberry town filled with characters. Someone told me Florida is filled with fruits and nuts because they all roll downhill. Read some Carl Hiassen novels, they are non-fiction when it comes to people.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Since I retired to the Tri Cities area of Tennessee(Johnson City,Kingsport,Bristol) I have met quite a few retirees who moved from Northern part of U.S. to Florida,then back "up" to this area.
The common description,name for these people is "halfbacks."
Reasons for landing here ,4 seasons,NO state tax,low property taxes,Excellent Medical facilities,beautiful scenery(mountains),low cost of living,lack of congestion to name just a few. :happy
Last edited by Toons on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

The skiing is really, really, bad. :P

The trout fishing is even worse. :P

Plus there is no, "Purple mountain majesty" whatsoever. :P

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq »

Toons wrote:Since I retired to the Tri Cities area of Tennessee(Johnson City,Kingsport,Bristol) I have met quite a few retirees who moved from Northern part of U.S. to Florida,then back "up" to this area.
Reasons for landing here ,4 seasons,NO state tax,low property taxes,Excellent Medical facilities,beautiful scenery(mountains),low cost of living,lack of congestion to name just a few. :happy
How can you say no state tax in Tennessee? You have an income tax on dividends and interest.
John
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

JDCPAEsq wrote:
Toons wrote:Since I retired to the Tri Cities area of Tennessee(Johnson City,Kingsport,Bristol) I have met quite a few retirees who moved from Northern part of U.S. to Florida,then back "up" to this area.
How can you say no state tax in Tennessee? You have an income tax on dividends and interest.
John
and isn't there a sales tax on everything including food and medicine
Tennesseans pay the highest average state and local sales tax burdens in the country, a statewide average of 9.43 percent, according to a report released ...
www.commercialappeal.com/.../22/​tennes ... ax...study
All the Best, | Joe
Toons

Post by Toons »

JDCPAEsq wrote:
John
For clarification :happy
The Tennessee income tax does not apply to salaries and wages(Pension), but most income from stocks, bonds and notes receivable is taxable at a flat rate of 6 percent.
The first $1,250 in taxable income received by a single filer is exempt. The first $2,500 in taxable income received by a joint filer is exempt. Persons older than 65 and who have total income of less than $16,200 for a single filer or $27,000 for a joint filer also are exempt.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Post by Toons »

[quote="joe8d"][quote="JDCPAEsq"][quote="Toons"]Since I retired to the Tri Cities area of Tennessee(Johnson City,Kingsport,Bristol) I have met quite a few retirees who moved from Northern part of U.S. to Florida,then back "up" to this area.
Reasons for landing here State Sales Tax: 7% on tangible property (prescription drugs exempt); 6% on food and food ingredients. Counties and cities may add another 1.5% to 2.75% to the total of either rate

Prescriptions exempt
State Sales Tax: 7% on tangible property (prescription drugs exempt); 6% on food and food ingredients. Counties and cities may add another 1.5% to 2.75% to the total of either rate
:happy

Having moved from Erie County in Western NY , I feel "unchained" from the weight of numerous taxes
that I had to pay in New York State,,,,high gasoline taxes,tolls,tax to own dog,surcharge on cell phone bill,tax on Pension income(ouch),8.75% tax on all retail sales. The icing on the tax cake was paying 6000 per year combined school ,county taxes,to live in a paid off house.
:moneybag :moneybag
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Having moved from Erie County in Western NY ,
I still live there :happy
All the Best, | Joe
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

fishnskiguy wrote:The skiing is really, really, bad. :P

Chris
And there is nowhere to go hiking.
Nowhere to go biking.
There are no parks! No green space!
And no waterfalls (well, except for the one I saw on our hike yesterday...) :happy
tsfdma

Post by tsfdma »

The Spanish should have kept Florida! Some of my coworkers live down there and always brag about paying no state income tax, yet they spend 10k a year or more sending kids to private school so they don't have to go to school in trailers :oops: What is the point of paying no state income tax, if you're gonna have to pay 3K a year to insure your home? I'll grant you FL has nice estate tax laws, but all in all you are close to TEXAS and Wyoming. Two wonderful states with no state income tax. In fact, if you take the whole tax situation cumulatively speaking, I think Wyoming is the best deal going. Low unemployment, inexpensivle homes, low property taxes, cheap fuel, no state income tax, I believe no sales tax, estate tax friendly, gun friendly state, and low crime.
Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer »

imagardener wrote:

Hahaha. I grew up in West Palm Beach and after college swore I'd never live in Florida again for some of the reasons you mention. But after retiring from the northeast Mid-Atlantic we fell in love with the west coast of Florida. Lived in Naples for 10 years and moved because our HOA went psycho. Now live in paradise a few hours north of there in a Mayberry town filled with characters. Someone told me Florida is filled with fruits and nuts because they all roll downhill. Read some Carl Hiassen novels, they are non-fiction when it comes to people.
I just visited Naples and I thought that area is very nice. I think I would like it there better than South FL (WPB-Ft Lauderdale-Miami). However Naples is about 50% higher in the purchase price of housing so it would not pay for me to move.

I may end up being a Halfback - I'll be exploring over the next year.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Hopefully the diversity of opinions has convinced you you need to live down there for a while, and see how you like it, before making a permanent commitment:

- taxes may be lower. On the other hand so may be public services you need

- avoid stereotypes - current legal cases do NOT help us to understand how Florida is (they had riots in London last summer, but it's basically a pretty safe place for a city of nearly 9 millions)

- climate is very subjective. Some people love the lack of snow. Other people hate the hot mugginess of it

- the people are nice. The people are not nice. There are too many New Yorkers. New Yorkers give it a lot of its atmosphere. Miami is wonderful. Miami is horrible

If I was looking, I'd look around Cape Canaveral, because the shut down of the Shuttle has left real estate going really cheap, or so I read in my paper (so it must be true ;-)).
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Valuethinker wrote:- avoid stereotypes - current legal cases do NOT help us to understand how Florida is (they had riots in London last summer, but it's basically a pretty safe place for a city of nearly 9 millions)
I made a couple of business trips to Argentina right after they un-pegged their currency (I think it was early 2000??). Based on the US press, you would have thought there were massive riots & protests in BA. I've seen more violence at hockey games than I saw in BA. There were a few protests around the banks but mostly people in line trying to get their money out.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

jebmke wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:- avoid stereotypes - current legal cases do NOT help us to understand how Florida is (they had riots in London last summer, but it's basically a pretty safe place for a city of nearly 9 millions)
I made a couple of business trips to Argentina right after they un-pegged their currency (I think it was early 2000??). Based on the US press, you would have thought there were massive riots & protests in BA. I've seen more violence at hockey games than I saw in BA. There were a few protests around the banks but mostly people in line trying to get their money out.
Yahh and I was going to say 'kidnapping' re BA. I think the thing was BA was the safest city in South America if not the whole hemisphere, and now it's more like a 'normal' city: slums, poor people, street crime. Kind of like Chicago or Toronto ;-).

Hockey games. Ask Vancouver ;-). Peaceloving Canadians, laid back west coasters ;-).

I had loads of people emailing me about the London riots ('Tottenham' is nowhere near 'Tottenham Court Road' the latter a familiar landmark in central London) and whilst they were utterly frightening to people caught in the vicinity, generally they were concentrated in a few areas: notoriously troubled ones and gentrification areas (where there is a lot to steal or burn).

At this moment, what I understand from the media about Florida is that it is a sort of post modern, SUV driving Dodge City ;-).

Except I am old enough to remember Liberty City and Overtown riots, and the trial of the killer of 2 English tourists who got drunk, lost and wandered into the wrong Miami neighbourhood has just completed. So to me, Florida is this place of a rioting armed underclass.

In truth, my stereotypes of Florida are: Miami Vice, space shots, Miami Beach bacchanalia, Key Largo (Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall) and hurricanes.

So I imagine this place about to blown away by hurricanes, populated by Latin American drug barons, Lower East Side New Yorkers and glitzy fashion types, and mobsters. Sort of Sopranos in the sunshine in white trousers with no socks.

It's too scary. Never move there ;-).
JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq »

Valuethinker wrote:...and the trial of the killer of 2 English tourists who got drunk, lost and wandered into the wrong Miami neighbourhood has just completed.
Your memory is incorrect. I'm sorry to say that took place, even more surprisingly, not in Miami but in my home town of Sarasota.
John
porcupine

Post by porcupine »

JDCPAEsq wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:...and the trial of the killer of 2 English tourists who got drunk, lost and wandered into the wrong Miami neighbourhood has just completed.
Your memory is incorrect. I'm sorry to say that took place, even more surprisingly, not in Miami but in my home town of Sarasota.
John
Don't blame Valuethinker's memory. Blame his media instead!

- Porcupine
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

tsfdma wrote:The Spanish should have kept Florida! Some of my coworkers live down there and always brag about paying no state income tax, yet they spend 10k a year or more sending kids to private school so they don't have to go to school in trailers :oops: What is the point of paying no state income tax, if you're gonna have to pay 3K a year to insure your home? I'll grant you FL has nice estate tax laws, but all in all you are close to TEXAS and Wyoming. Two wonderful states with no state income tax. In fact, if you take the whole tax situation cumulatively speaking, I think Wyoming is the best deal going. Low unemployment, inexpensivle homes, low property taxes, cheap fuel, no state income tax, I believe no sales tax, estate tax friendly, gun friendly state, and low crime.
I have a niece and a nephew who live in NYC and fight every year to have their kids get into private schools - begging them to take their $30,000 per kid!

all I can say is that I never wanted to move to Florida (see all negative posts above) but because of family issues we bought here in 2004. each area that has been brought forward as an ideal location have their good points. all I can say is I am happy with the lifestyle, the weather, the overall environment. Wyoming and Texas, I am sure, are great places to live. I found out I am a Florida type of guy.
there is a saying, 'wherever you go, there you are'; meaning something like you make your own happiness regardless of your surroundings... unless of course if you are in prison :(
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

Everyone seems to wind up their lives in Florida, or at least to think of doing so. I have several relatives who work there or who retired there. Must be nice. Maybe think about Hawaii, alternatively? Expensive food and shelter, but reasonable taxes. No radon worries -- our house has windows and doors wide open all day, all year. No bad weather, not muggy, few flies or mosquitoes (the occasional centipede). People (and horses) live longer. People are nicer.
Greg, retired 8/10.
pointyhead

Post by pointyhead »

My folks moved there about 20 years ago. My Mother is quite content as she has good friends and she stays very active. I visit a few times a year and we generally like it. A few years back a major insurance company she was with suddenly cancelled her home owners. Her agent couldn't help as they cancelled him too. It seems that they randomly dropped clients to reduce their exposure. She had to get insurance through the state. Another issue has been healthcare. My aunt ended up in the ER a few years back. The hospital was over cencus and she spent 3 days in the ER waiting for a bed!!! Since my mother was there to advocate for her that brought a regular hospital bed for my Aunt. I hate to think what would have happened if she had spent 3 days on a ER gurney.

I am heading to Seattle tomorrow to look for possible future retirement. Denver is on our short list too. Previously lived in CS, Littleton, and Denver we really miss Colorado. When we were there we had many friends who split their time b/t CO and FL. That seems like the best option to me as the summer heat can be oppressive.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

PH :sharebeer
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

fishnskiguy wrote:The skiing is really, really, bad. :P

Chris
Well, the waterskiing is fantastic.
The seatrout fishing is excellent
As for the "purple mountain majesty," you got me there, no mountains, but lots of beaches to make up for it.

Seriously though, it is not for everyone. The summers are quite hot and muggy. It's buggy and rainy during the summer too. If those things are deal killers, try out West. There are plenty of nice places to live where the climate is much drier and there is "purple mountain majesty" available in abundance. Eagle, Colorado comes to mind.

gatorman
towdie

Post by towdie »

I don't know where the posters who speak of the terrible hot and muggy weather in Florida live, but here in Maryland the heat and humidity during the hot summer months is often greater than at my Southwest Florida condo.

How much hotter can it get than 90+ degrees and 90%+humidity!
“The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself.”
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

I agree with towdie. Last time I went to the DC area in the summer, I was really suffering with the heat and humidity. It was MUCH worse than in So. Fla. Really, if you're anywhere near to the coast, the effect of the water modifies the heat and humidity factor. The unbearableness of Florida summers is definitely exaggerated.

Personally for me, St. Augustine is a bit cutesy/touristy, and Jacksonville is too sprawling to make nipping in to the city from there an exciting/easy prospect. But, then again, it must be large and sprawling for a reason, so I'm sure many many people love it.
Sarah
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

towdie wrote:I don't know where the posters who speak of the terrible hot and muggy weather in Florida live, but here in Maryland the heat and humidity during the hot summer months is often greater than at my Southwest Florida condo.

How much hotter can it get than 90+ degrees and 90%+humidity!
Is your condo on/near the water? How does that compare to your location in MD. I live in MD but grew up in Florida. I'd say they are comparable in heat/humidity but the summer ends earlier here in MD. The bugs are bigger in FL; in MD (at least on the eastern shore) there are no poisonous snakes.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
towdie

Post by towdie »

My two locations are comparable - both on the water
“The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself.”
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

englishgirl wrote:I agree with towdie. Last time I went to the DC area in the summer, I was really suffering with the heat and humidity. It was MUCH worse than in So. Fla. Really, if you're anywhere near to the coast, the effect of the water modifies the heat and humidity factor. The unbearableness of Florida summers is definitely exaggerated.

Personally for me, St. Augustine is a bit cutesy/touristy, and Jacksonville is too sprawling to make nipping in to the city from there an exciting/easy prospect. But, then again, it must be large and sprawling for a reason, so I'm sure many many people love it.
Thank you, Sarah.

This is good to know, because I live in the D.C. area and handle local summers fairly well.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Muchtolearn

Post by Muchtolearn »

JDCPAEsq wrote:
Muchtolearn wrote:From what I have seen and experienced, Florida is uninhabitable from about May to September.
We're happy you feel that way. It makes it much nicer for the rest of us to enjoy during those months.
John
I doubt one more person would really change your quality of life. In all seriousness, I recall being there with the temperature never higher than about 92 and never lower than about 78 with high humidity for about 4 months. As a person who was an outdoors athlete (now only a runner) I found it tough and that was years ago. I think people can make themselves happy in any circumstances which is good. Like the commuters in the NY area who's commute is always about a half hour less than it really is.
Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer »

We should also remember that as we get older some of us like it warmer. I'm perfectly comfortable when it's 90 out now that I'm over 60. In South FL you just have to be comfortable with all the people who are over 90. Just take your time.
skatterZ

Post by skatterZ »

I too live in Colorado( for 40 years, retired 12 years ago) and have spent huge amounts of time trying to figure out how to lower state income taxes.
Many of them questionable legality wise.
After actually retiring, I was really surprised at my actual state income tax. I continue to live at the same level as when I was still working, but taxes have been much lower. I live at a 90-100K level but the taxes for the past two years were $700 per year. Due to pensions and SS, Colorado deducted $44,000 from taxable income. Also, since some of my living money comes from principle on which no taxes are due, I can postpone taxes.
Don't leave just due to taxes.
In full disclosure, as I write this I am in Florida for a month, but have no desire to move here.
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

skatterZ wrote:After actually retiring, I was really surprised at my actual state income tax. I continue to live at the same level as when I was still working, but taxes have been much lower.
I just figured my Hawaii state income tax a few days ago -- it was well below zero. Hawaii doesn't tax pensions or SS, where most of my and my wife's income comes from, and it doesn't require couples over 65 with taxable income less than $8k, after the standard deduction, to even file a return.
Greg, retired 8/10.
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

Pro: no blizzards, snow or ice storms

Cons: If sea level rises by 20ft most of it will be underwater.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)