Southwest Florida

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JoeMatye

Southwest Florida

Post by JoeMatye »

We (wife and I and 20-yo son) are planning a visit to SW Florida in about 10 days. Flying in to Fort Myers and staying 4 nights. In addition to relaxing and spending some time at the beach, also interested in kayaking and fishing. Would appreciate any recommendations as to location to stay (e.g., Sanibel vs. Marco Island vs. Naples) as well as specific accommodations, places to visit, etc. Thanks.
JDCPAEsq

Re: Southwest Florida

Post by JDCPAEsq »

January is the coldest time of the year here and the worst time of year for spending time at the beach. Water is in the 50's and air often in the 40's or lower. You want to be on Sanibel, Fort Myers Beach or the Naples beach if you want to be close to the Gulf. Four nights isn't a lot of time to do much. I'm sitting here in SW Florida in my house dressed in warm clothing debating whether to turn on the heat. Sorry to be a bit negative, but many visitors come here at this time of year expecting conditions similar to the Carribean and it just isn't. Have fun whatever you do.
John
imagardener

Post by imagardener »

I live just a bit north of Ft. Myers and agree with the previous reply. It is the coldest time here but may seem warm to you in contrast to what you're leaving.
It is busier this tourist season than in previous years so wherever you choose you should reserve right away. You should make fully cancelable reservations now at a nice hotel on (any) beach and then use the next week or two to decide if you'd rather be somewhere else instead. Just remember to get your cancellation code at hotel #1.

You will love Sanibel, it won't be cheap however. Lots of nature and kayaking available. The lighthouse beach at the eastern tip is just gorgeous. You come onto the island and then hang a left U-ey to get there. My other favorite beach there is at the other end of the island where Sanibel meets Captiva at the bridge.

I lived in Naples for several years, also beautiful beaches but I shudder to think of how crowded the traffic will be there. If you choose Naples rent close to the beach near walkable restaurants so you won't get annoyed with getting from place A to place B. If you're from New Jersey or other heavily trafficked places you may not mind. Not much kayaking, more beach and high-end shopping oriented.

Marco Island is beautiful but a loooong way from Ft. Myers airport. 30-45 minutes south of Naples and doesn't have anything that Naples doesn't (OK less traffic and more kayaking).

I have no experience of Ft. Myers Beach, just to say that there is a big difference between Ft. Myers Beach and Ft. Myers proper, more time required and aggravation to get to the beach if you're not already there.

Have you already made your plane reservations? If not I can highly recommend Sarasota, 30 minutes north of Ft. Myers. The beach is located on the island, kayaking and nature abound along with very good restaurants, yes traffic there too.

Have fun. SW Florida is a beautiful place.
Last edited by imagardener on Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishndoc

Post by fishndoc »

That part of Florida must have really taken a hit from the economy. An outfitter I used near there last year has gone out of business, and last week when I called what used to be a very popular B&B for reservations, I was told they are closing down Jan 1st.

If you do go, and you want to combine kayaking and fishing, this guy (Josh Harvel) is highly recommended:
http://www.swflkayakcharters.com/index.html
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

JoeMatye wrote:We (wife and I and 20-yo son) are planning a visit to SW Florida in about 10 days. Flying in to Fort Myers and staying 4 nights. In addition to relaxing and spending some time at the beach, also interested in kayaking and fishing. Would appreciate any recommendations as to location to stay (e.g., Sanibel vs. Marco Island vs. Naples) as well as specific accommodations, places to visit, etc. Thanks.
I have been to Marco Island many times. It's a 45 min drive, mostly highway on I-75, from the airport (RSW) but well worth it IMO. You can stay right on the beach at the Marriott http://www.marcoislandmarriott.com/ and never leave the property if you so choose. Agree with the others that Jan is a cold month (for SW Fl) but you could still walk the beach, it's beautiful.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq »

fsrph wrote:Agree with the others that Jan is a cold month (for SW Fl) but you could still walk the beach, it's beautiful.

Francis
You betcha! Supposed to drop below freezing this week with highs in the 50's. Just in time for the OP's visit.
John
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

JDCPAEsq wrote:
fsrph wrote:Agree with the others that Jan is a cold month (for SW Fl) but you could still walk the beach, it's beautiful.

Francis
You betcha! Supposed to drop below freezing this week with highs in the 50's. Just in time for the OP's visit.
John
Nice try, but that's not what weather.com says on my smartphone app...
Attempted new signature...
soaring

Post by soaring »

The Wizard wrote:
JDCPAEsq wrote:

Francis
John
Local wx on several stations for Tuesday and a few more days afer shows low mid 30's to high mid 50's to 60 in Orlando and other areas. It will be cold...for this area anyway. Not sure what wx you reference but maybe out of date as the wx I mention above has been forecast for several days and again tonight (Sunday).
Desiderata
JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq »

The Wizard wrote:
JDCPAEsq wrote:

Francis
John
Current forecast shows 31 for Tampa on Tuesday and 32 in Sarasota. Enjoy the beach.
John
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

JDCPAEsq wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
JDCPAEsq wrote:

Francis
John
Current forecast shows 31 for Tampa on Tuesday and 32 in Sarasota. Enjoy the beach.
John
Hey John, you must live in the wrong part of FL! :D

We were in the 70s today and the beach was crowded. Granted the forecast is only for 50 for a high on Tues., but we'll be back the 70s a few days later.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I have the Fort Myers wx link on my smartphone, along with several other places.
This because I had a condo on Sanibel in a previous life.

Up closer to Tampa will be a cpl deg cooler when a front comes thru most times...
DWD

Post by DWD »

See the following for some suggestions for Ft. Meyers.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=87111

If you are interested in bird watching, there is the J. N. Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel. I stopped at the Manatee Park and saw 2 or 3 manatees...they were scarce a few weeks ago Just a parking fee there. There is also the Edison/Ford Estates to see.
Dave
DWD

Post by DWD »

I just remembered that there were also kayaks for rent at the Manatee Park.
Dave
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

JDCPAEsq wrote:

Francis
John
When I just looked the extended forcast for Marco Island was much better than that. The OP's visit begins about Jan 8th. The weather looks great then.
(Temp Range F)

Jan 3rd 55-34
Jan 4th 62-41
Jan 5th 67-48
Jan 6th 72-51
Jan 7th 75-55
Jan 8th 76-58
Jan 9th 77-58
Jan 10th 76-58
Jan 11th 75-57

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
dcnut

Post by dcnut »

Our extended family just returned from a one-week reunion in Naples around Christmas. We had beautiful weather, fortunately.
The one downer were the red tide warnings at the various beaches (Pier, Vanderbilt beach, Barefoot beach). Several people in our group have asthma or other allergies, and did not want to risk spending much time near the beach with red tide. I have one cousin who once experienced a severe reaction (requiring hospitalization) to red tide on the Florida gulf coast.

Glenn
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

DWD wrote: If you are interested in bird watching, there is the J. N. Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel.
Corkscrew Swamp is also a good place. Many migrating warblers, red-shoulder hawks, storks, kites, herons of various varieties and others.

http://www.corkscrewsanctuary.org/
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq »

All you doubters, I woke up to 32 degrees in SW Florida this morning and it was in the 20's further inland. Hasn't been over 55 today and another night tonight in the 30's. Great beach weather if you're from the Yukon!
John
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

JDCPAEsq wrote:All you doubters, I woke up to 32 degrees in SW Florida this morning and it was in the 20's further inland. Hasn't been over 55 today and another night tonight in the 30's. Great beach weather if you're from the Yukon!
John
It may be time to relocate down the road to the Conch Republic, John!
:)
imagardener

Post by imagardener »

JDCPAEsq wrote:All you doubters, I woke up to 32 degrees in SW Florida this morning and it was in the 20's further inland. Hasn't been over 55 today and another night tonight in the 30's. Great beach weather if you're from the Yukon!
John
You must be the only Floridian that doesn't brag on the weather lol (maybe you're trying to discourage more people from moving here and ruining Paradise). Our neighborhood is very very quiet, no one outside and fewer cars than usual. Inside huddling together for warmth I guess.
ChrisAZ

Post by ChrisAZ »

Not sure if it qualifies as Southwest Florida but headed down to Anna Maria Island for a week in mid April with the wife and my parents. Never been to AM so looking forward to it! I have spent quite a bit of time down in the Sanibel and Captiva area, as my parents used to live in Cape Coral. Is Anna Maria similar to those islands?
eschaef

Post by eschaef »

ChrisAZ wrote:Not sure if it qualifies as Southwest Florida but headed down to Anna Maria Island for a week in mid April with the wife and my parents. Never been to AM so looking forward to it! I have spent quite a bit of time down in the Sanibel and Captiva area, as my parents used to live in Cape Coral. Is Anna Maria similar to those islands?
My parents have taken to spending 3 months every winter on Anna Maria Island. I've been lucky enough to visit them while they are down there. I really like it. Public beaches and bike paths. I feel it has a very "beach town" atmosphere, unlike the large hotels that dominate Longboat Key just down the road. I've only visited in the heart of winter, so the weather was chilly, but still pleasant enough to be outside, and no crowds! I'm sure April will be gorgeous.

If you like Cuban Food, I highly recommend Jose's! (Jose's Real Cuban Food, 8799 Cortez Road West in Bradenton) Yum....
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

The coldest winter I ever experienced was 1967 in Key West. Upper thirties at night, upper forties in daytime and windy. No heat, no sweaters, no coats. Three weeks of, "I'm gonna freeze to death!"

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
ChrisAZ

Post by ChrisAZ »

eschaef wrote:
ChrisAZ wrote:Not sure if it qualifies as Southwest Florida but headed down to Anna Maria Island for a week in mid April with the wife and my parents. Never been to AM so looking forward to it! I have spent quite a bit of time down in the Sanibel and Captiva area, as my parents used to live in Cape Coral. Is Anna Maria similar to those islands?
My parents have taken to spending 3 months every winter on Anna Maria Island. I've been lucky enough to visit them while they are down there. I really like it. Public beaches and bike paths. I feel it has a very "beach town" atmosphere, unlike the large hotels that dominate Longboat Key just down the road. I've only visited in the heart of winter, so the weather was chilly, but still pleasant enough to be outside, and no crowds! I'm sure April will be gorgeous.

If you like Cuban Food, I highly recommend Jose's! (Jose's Real Cuban Food, 8799 Cortez Road West in Bradenton) Yum....
You've got me thinking about a Cuban Sandwich...last one I had was in Miami about 10 years ago. Thanks for the tip!
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

fishnskiguy wrote:The coldest winter I ever experienced was 1967 in Key West. Upper thirties at night, upper forties in daytime and windy. No heat, no sweaters, no coats. Three weeks of, "I'm gonna freeze to death!"

Chris
Some sources CLAIM the record low temp for Key West is 41 degF, but what do they know...
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Visit Sarasota. You will love it. We have been there many many times and are considering a possible retirement there someday.

Siesta Key Sarasota is the best beach in the country. Gulf water temp and blue.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Rod Flash

Post by Rod Flash »

jebmke wrote:
DWD wrote: If you are interested in bird watching, there is the J. N. Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel.
Corkscrew Swamp is also a good place. Many migrating warblers, red-shoulder hawks, storks, kites, herons of various varieties and others.

http://www.corkscrewsanctuary.org/
We spent a week with some friends last year at Bonita Springs. We had a great time. Corkscrew Swamp was fun, as were Lover's Key and Barefoot Beach Parks. Lower key and not as touristy as some parts of FL. We'll probably go back next year. This year we've got to do Disney/Universal with granddaughter for her 6th birthday.
JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq »

fishnskiguy wrote:The coldest winter I ever experienced was 1967 in Key West. Upper thirties at night, upper forties in daytime and windy. No heat, no sweaters, no coats. Three weeks of, "I'm gonna freeze to death!"

Chris
That's interesting to hear when the record all time low for any day of the year in Key West is 41 degrees. And it went on for three weeks... Amazing.
John