Do you drink milk?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
leonard

Re: Do you drink milk?

Post by leonard »

monkey_business wrote:
rayout wrote:...Saturated fat is not bad for you and neither is dietary cholesterol...
Any proof of this?
how does one definitively prove a negative?
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
pinebarrens1

Post by pinebarrens1 »

stoptothink......Does milk increase risk of insulin resistance? Which is worse in that regard....whole milk or low fat milk? I was reluctant to give up milk as I drink 1 and 1/2 cups per day whole milk. Otherwise, I'm 99% Paleo diet going on 8 months and couldn't be happier. Also I read that heavy milk drinkers are at increased risk for cancer but consuming 2 glasses or less -no increased risk. There's much contradictory stuff out there.....the more I read, the more confusing it gets. lol
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

pinebarrens1 wrote:stoptothink......Does milk increase risk of insulin resistance? Which is worse in that regard....whole milk or low fat milk? I was reluctant to give up milk as I drink 1 and 1/2 cups per day whole milk. Otherwise, I'm 99% Paleo diet going on 8 months and couldn't be happier. Also I read that heavy milk drinkers are at increased risk for cancer but consuming 2 glasses or less -no increased risk. There's much contradictory stuff out there.....the more I read, the more confusing it gets. lol
Inherently, anything that increases insulin secretion will (over time) increase risk for insulin resistance. I am sure I will get another argument over this one, although insulin plays a very crucial role in many processes, in my opinion(in general), the less your pancreas excretes the healthier you will be in the long run.

That being said, I don't think 1-1.5c of whole milk a day is going to do you much (if any) harm. There is a lot of argument regarding milk even in "paleo" camps; without definitive evidence either way, it comes down to how it makes you feel. If you do not seem to be intolerant, I wouldn't worry about it.

Here is something you may want to look at http://www.realmilk.com/betacellulin.html Chris Masterjohn's blog is great and he has the formal education and research background to back up everything he says.
rob

Post by rob »

tnf wrote:I on the other hand have kept my interest in milk going. Recently have been buying organic raw milk from a local Amish farmer. He has a herd of Jersey cows and the milk is the best tasting I have ever had...sweet, creamy and non homogenized..yum..yum! I do pasteurize it at home so no worries. We also make our own yogurt from this milk and it is delicious.
I grew up on cows milk from the farm... shock... NO pasteurize unless you count the heat in the custard :-) Didn't seem to kill me...... and no ill effects apart from this tick I seem to have from milk related side-affects :D

I miss the milkshakes, god I miss the milkshakes... just to die for on real un-killed milk and the cream... oh the cream. It really is a different thing then what you buy in the shops.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

rob wrote:I grew up on cows milk from the farm... shock... NO pasteurize unless you count the heat in the custard :-) Didn't seem to kill me...... and no ill effects apart from this tick I seem to have from milk related side-affects :D

I miss the milkshakes, god I miss the milkshakes... just to die for on real un-killed milk and the cream... oh the cream. It really is a different thing then what you buy in the shops.
Rob, it is possible you can get raw milk where you live. The rules vary by state and they vary quite a lot. You could google it and find quite a bit of info. I drink about a gallon of raw milk a week. If I ever have to switch back to store bought stuff, I doubt I'll drink that much. It's just not nearly as good.

Oh, the cream.... :lol: Yes!
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Dangers Of Milk And
Dairy Products - The Facts

http://www.rense.com/general26/milk.htm
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Stoptothink,

In your opinion, for optimal health, what is the perfect diet? Assuming a person works out a moderate three times a week, doing a mix of resistance training and cardio, how many calories should a 160 pound man consume, and how many of each macronutrient? What types of foods?

It seems like everything I think is good for me is not good for me in some way. Eggs are great for you...oh wait, high cholesterol. But that's been debunked. Whew! Good. Oh, but I almost forgot, too many omega 6's, so they'll cause inflammation!

What the hell are people supposed to eat?!?! Too many studies out there!
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

rec7 wrote:Dangers Of Milk And
Dairy Products - The Facts

http://www.rense.com/general26/milk.htm
This website falls under the category of unreferenced, unsubstantiated crazy talk.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
Harold

Post by Harold »

tludwig23 wrote:This website falls under the category of unreferenced, unsubstantiated crazy talk.
That's not a nice thing to say about this Bogleheads forum -- even if true at times!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Triple digit golfer wrote:Stoptothink,

In your opinion, for optimal health, what is the perfect diet? Assuming a person works out a moderate three times a week, doing a mix of resistance training and cardio, how many calories should a 160 pound man consume, and how many of each macronutrient? What types of foods?

It seems like everything I think is good for me is not good for me in some way. Eggs are great for you...oh wait, high cholesterol. But that's been debunked. Whew! Good. Oh, but I almost forgot, too many omega 6's, so they'll cause inflammation!

What the hell are people supposed to eat?!?! Too many studies out there!
I have my own opinions, and they have worked for me personally and hundreds of athletes I have worked with. Not so sure it is safe to throw out all my unconventional ideas on this board. As far as "ideal" diet for you, it isn't as simple as stating your weight and goals. Everybody reacts differently to different stimulus; this goes for both exercise and fuel. There is no cookie-cutter "perfect diet." It wouldn't be professionally prudent of me to throw out general advice without knowing more about the situation. I would suggest doing your own research and experimenting to find out what works for you. Since I get the notion that you are quite interested in more than just general health, you might want to start with Martin Berkhan and Lyle McDonald.

I think most can agree that step #1 is to eat whole food as close to its natural state as possible. For most people, just eliminating the foods which need an actual list of ingredients would be a huge step in the right direction for their health.
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

Drink no milk - factory farms too cruel to support.

I do use soy and almond milk in coffee and occasionally on cereal.

Becoming vegan has made me a poster boy for good blood lipids, despite my TERRIBLE family history. And I dropped 30 pounds of body fat while adding muscle.

Don
“Speak only if it improves upon the silence." Mahatma Gandhi
monkey_business

Post by monkey_business »

leonard wrote:
monkey_business wrote:
rayout wrote:...Saturated fat is not bad for you and neither is dietary cholesterol...
Any proof of this?
Statement: Drinking a cup of milk today at 8:00pm will not immediately (defined as within 1 minute of finishing the last gulp) kill everyone doing so.
Proof: I drank a cup of milk today at 8:00pm. It is now more than 1 minute after the last gulp. I am alive and the statement is true.
Kulak

Post by Kulak »

stoptothink wrote:Question: do you drink milk? Esselstyn forbids any dairy consumption, Ornish permits very little dairy and only if it is skim(although of late his dietary interventions suggest no dairy at all, ie. the diets prescribed to Bill Clinton and Steve Jobs). Just curious, since it is the actual topic.
I don't regularly drink it but don't exactly regard it as poison either. I actually got banhammered from the board of a well-known guru for vilifying Campbell and The China Study -- in particular, his use of rat studies to "prove" that casein "turns on cancer like a switch." One thing that does piss me off is the widespread notion that kids need to drink cow's milk by the gallon and that depriving them of it is tantamount to child abuse.

BTW, I also own Lyle McDonald's The Protein Book and am aware of milk's use as a bodybuilding tool -- but bodybuilding and longevity are fundamentally opposite goals IMO.
Depriving ourselves to boost our 40-year success probability much beyond 80% is a fool’s errand, since all you are doing is increasing the probability of failure for [non-financial] reasons. --wbern
norookie

Post by norookie »

:D Humans base composition is waterbased, I've replaced milk with water decades back.<shrug> Ask most in medicine. Thats the answer I heard. :wink: What do healthcare professionals here think. Not a OT, or derailing your thread, just a tangent concerned with considering HCare/medicinally educated input.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Kulak wrote:
stoptothink wrote:Question: do you drink milk? Esselstyn forbids any dairy consumption, Ornish permits very little dairy and only if it is skim(although of late his dietary interventions suggest no dairy at all, ie. the diets prescribed to Bill Clinton and Steve Jobs). Just curious, since it is the actual topic.
I don't regularly drink it but don't exactly regard it as poison either. I actually got banhammered from the board of a well-known guru for vilifying Campbell and The China Study -- in particular, his use of rat studies to "prove" that casein "turns on cancer like a switch." One thing that does piss me off is the widespread notion that kids need to drink cow's milk by the gallon and that depriving them of it is tantamount to child abuse.

BTW, I also own Lyle McDonald's The Protein Book and am aware of milk's use as a bodybuilding tool -- but bodybuilding and longevity are fundamentally opposite goals IMO.
The beliefs of you and I align quite a bit, once past all the back-and-forth banter. I agree with everything you just said. I have met Lyle McDonald. Interestingly he is a tiny little man, with a vile disposition, but he is quite knowledgeable in regards to body composition changes.
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

I'm curious...

If we step back and call our "milk" what it is-- the mammary secretions of a different species that is meant to grow a small calf into a large steer or cow-- does that change the conversation? If we admit that we have no interest in consuming the milk of our own species (i.e.: Mom) after a certain age, and we observe that the newborn and young of other species naturally stop consuming their own mother's milk after a set amount of time, then we have to figure out why we process and consume the secretions of one (OK, with goats, maybe two) particular species and consume this through our adult years.

Milk has a specific purpose: to grow and add substantial weight to a newborn calf in a short period of time.

Do we really want to sign on to artificially continue that purpose?
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
stan1

Post by stan1 »

cinghiale wrote:I'm curious...

If we step back and call our "milk" what it is-- the mammary secretions of a different species that is meant to grow a small calf into a large steer or cow-- does that change the conversation? If we admit that we have no interest in consuming the milk of our own species (i.e.: Mom) after a certain age, and we observe that the newborn and young of other species naturally stop consuming their own mother's milk after a set amount of time, then we have to figure out why we process and consume the secretions of one (OK, with goats, maybe two) particular species and consume this through our adult years.

Milk has a specific purpose: to grow and add substantial weight to a newborn calf in a short period of time.

Yes, the dairy industry's advertising agencies are very effective at getting people to like those mammary secretions. It would be a great Mad Men episode.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

cinghiale wrote:If we step back and call our "milk" what it is-- the mammary secretions of a different species that is meant to grow a small calf into a large steer or cow-- does that change the conversation? If we admit that we have no interest in consuming the milk of our own species (i.e.: Mom) after a certain age, and we observe that the newborn and young of other species naturally stop consuming their own mother's milk after a set amount of time, then we have to figure out why we process and consume the secretions of one (OK, with goats, maybe two) particular species and consume this through our adult years.

It would be very, very far from the least absurd thing that we do, even in the food world. There is a fair amount of history in some cultures involving dairy consumption.

I don't drink much milk. I do drink a fair amount of plain kefir and not for any perceived benefit other than that it tastes good, fills me up without as many calories as many other things, and tastes good. Oh, and it takes forever to go bad even at room temperature (though it does get strong!).

I do think that cheese (real! raw! cheese!) is what milk should aspire to be. :)

-janet
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Some adults can digest milk and some can't. There was a mutation about 10,000 years ago that made this possible. Before that only babies could digest milk. When adults with the mutation could digest it, they had an advantage. They could travel with heards of cattle and have a ready supply of nutrition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_pe ... advantages

http://news.discovery.com/human/got-mil ... 10914.html
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

From wikipedia

The ability to digest lactose into adulthood (lactase persistence) would have only been useful to humans after the invention of animal husbandry and the domestication of animal species that could provide a consistent source of milk. Hunter-gatherer populations before the Neolithic revolution were overwhelmingly lactose intolerant,[47][48] as are modern hunter-gatherers. Genetic studies suggest that the oldest mutations associated with lactase persistence only reached appreciable levels in human populations in the last ten thousand years.[49][50] Therefore lactase persistence is often cited as an example of both recent human evolution[51][52] and, as lactase persistence is a genetic trait but animal husbandry a cultural trait, gene-culture coevolution in the mutual human-animal symbiosis initiated with the advent of agriculture.[53]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_pe ... ry_history
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
ladders11

Post by ladders11 »

I am surprised at how many people here are killing 2 or even 3 glasses of milk each day. Even as a kid, when I drank it daily, I don't recall downing that much milk.

I have quit milk completely for a few reasons. First, I couldn't use a whole gallon before it expired, but didn't want to get a half gallon for almost the same price. Second, I became aware of rBGH and hormones in milk, how this is banned in every non-Us developed nation, and how the big dairy companies were acting to conceal their operations. Third, I became aware of the poor treatment of the animals in the factory farms. Fourth, I became aware of the huge CO2 emissions from cattle.

I have also scaled back, but not eliminated, my consumption of cheese, beef, and yogurt.
OutOfCyan

Post by OutOfCyan »

I eat no beef or dairy products. No milk, cheese, pizza, hamburgers, yogurt, etc. Silk almond milk with no sugar added is my substitute.

I avoid beef and dairy for health-related reasons. Everything else is fair game.
LAbob

Post by LAbob »

I have been avoiding milk for a long time, using mostly almond milk as a substitute. My understanding is that milk protein causes your body to produce more
IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor) that has been linked to higher risk of prostate cancer and breast cancer. I read that two studies at Harvard found men who had 2 or more dairy servings per day had a 30%-60% higher risk of prostate cancer than men who avoided milk, and that other studies have found like results.
LAbob

Post by LAbob »

ladders11 wrote:Second, I became aware of rBGH and hormones in milk, how this is banned in every non-Us developed nation, and how the big dairy companies were acting to conceal their operations. Third, I became aware of the poor treatment of the animals in the factory farms. Fourth, I became aware of the huge CO2 emissions from cattle..
Same here. We followed almost identical paths. I went vegetarian about 11 years ago, and am almost vegan now after watching the Forks Over Knives documentary on Netflix. (Still need the occasional fix of pizza or cheesecake though). Eating great food, never hungry, lost 20 lbs and have gobs more energy.
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

I like almond milk, hazelnut milk, and soy milk. Rice milk and hemp milk are OK too.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
david99

Post by david99 »

I drink soy milk or almond milk. According to The China Study or the documentary Forks Over Knives, cow's milk is not good for us. You can also watch a video on Youtube by John McDougall MD --- I think it's called the Perils of Dairy--- he states that dairy is harmful.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

ObliviousInvestor wrote:I like almond milk, hazelnut milk, and soy milk. Rice milk and hemp milk are OK too.
hmm...i've heard of all of these, and drank them, except hazlenut milk. Where do you get that?
RIP Mr. Bogle.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

david99 wrote:I drink soy milk or almond milk. According to The China Study or the documentary Forks Over Knives, cow's milk is not good for us. You can also watch a video on Youtube by John McDougall MD --- I think it's called the Perils of Dairy--- he states that dairy is harmful.
I'd do some personal research before tailoring my nutrition based upon the China Study. If eliminating all animal-derived foods works for you than that is all that matters, but be careful taking it as gospel simply because Colin Campbell says so.
david99

Post by david99 »

stoptothink wrote:
david99 wrote:I drink soy milk or almond milk. According to The China Study or the documentary Forks Over Knives, cow's milk is not good for us. You can also watch a video on Youtube by John McDougall MD --- I think it's called the Perils of Dairy--- he states that dairy is harmful.
I'd do some personal research before tailoring my nutrition based upon the China Study. If eliminating all animal-derived foods works for you than that is all that matters, but be careful taking it as gospel simply because Colin Campbell says so.

I haven't eliminated all animal-derived foods. I still eat seafood. But I have stopped eating dairy for the most part. I will on occasion eat a pizza with cheese or some other food with cheese if I'm out with people. It's worked well for me. I've lost weight and I have more energy.
rayout

Post by rayout »

stoptothink wrote:
Next to chronic overspending by the US government, the Vegan Menace (my own moniker for where our dietary dogma is heading) is my next greatest fear. There are enough issues with poor science conducted by researchers trying to maintain the status quo on low fat, low saturated fat diets when there is substantial evidence against it. Throw in a vocal and emotional group of people trying to push policy away from meat based on their own moral view point instead of based on science is something and we are going to end up in the dietary dark ages. McDonalds fries once cooked in stable beef tallow switched over to trans-fat based oil on the campaigns of these groups. Now that trans fat has been definitively proven to be horrible for your health, they switched to easily oxidized vegetable oil which is another likely culprit in heart disease. India has seen its heart disease rates sky rocket with the switch from traditional saturated fat cooking oils (butter, clarified butter, coconut and palm oil) to cheaper vegetable oils on top of their already poor diet. Realize that India's grain based diet is one of the few traditional diets that had endemic instances of diabetes and heart disease prior to adopting "western' eating habits. Similar evidence is found in ancient Egypt - land of beer and honey.

Some folks can be perfectly healthy on a vegetarian diet. However its not the only way of eating to maintain good health. A nice fatty steak can be part of a healthy diet as much as arugula is.
Last edited by rayout on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
rayout

Post by rayout »

The China Study data also shows a high correlation between wheat consumption and western diseases of obesity and cancer. Not really mentioned much in the book though, only the fact that animal product are "dangerous" though those links are rather tenuous at best: http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/08/03/the-ch ... -response/

The problem with epidemiological studies is that that data can be tortured until it shows what you want it to. You pick what to control for. This ranks up with the same garbage media has been spewing out about red meat. The study that was based off of combined both red meat and processed cured meats (bologna, sausage, etc.). There is a big difference in what chemicals go into curing versus a regular steak.
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

grok87 wrote:
ObliviousInvestor wrote:I like almond milk, hazelnut milk, and soy milk. Rice milk and hemp milk are OK too.
hmm...i've heard of all of these, and drank them, except hazlenut milk. Where do you get that?
Our local grocery store chain (Schnucks -- St Louis only, as far as I know) carries it at some locations.

Or, it looks like it's not terribly difficult to make your own, if that's the kind of thing you'd try.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

rayout wrote:
The China Study data also shows a high correlation between wheat consumption and western diseases of obesity and cancer. Not really mentioned much in the book though, only the fact that animal product are "dangerous" though those links are rather tenuous at best: http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/08/03/the-ch ... -response/

The problem with epidemiological studies is that that data can be tortured until it shows what you want it to. You pick what to control for. This ranks up with the same garbage media has been spewing out about red meat. The study that was based off of combined both red meat and processed cured meats (bologna, sausage, etc.). There is a big difference in what chemicals go into curing versus a regular steak.
Had enough battles on this forum regarding nutrition, so I didn't want to say it. Anybody who actually reads the China Study can see how Campbell cherry-picks and twists the data to fit his agenda. Even most vegetarians agree Campbell's work is a sham.
kraftwerk

Post by kraftwerk »

I don't think there's anything wrong with drinking milk if you're of northern European extraction, we have have been drinking it for thousands of years.

http://darwinstudents.blogspot.com/2009 ... rance.html
kraftwerk

Post by kraftwerk »

Kulak wrote:
stoptothink wrote:And how exactly does it being low glycemic matter?
Like Victoria, I interpreted your post above as claiming that milk raises blood glucose as well as insulin. If that's not what you meant by "You have to also keep in mind the effect of dairy proteins on blood glucose levels," you might want to clarify. (Did you mean that milk drives BG down?)
Milk contains IGF-1 (insulin like growth factor 1) to promote growth in the calf. Insulin is highly anabolic, that's why bodybuilders abuse it.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

I must say that I ignored this thread for weeks, and was surprised that it popped up again. Yes. I drink milk. I tried to quit once but so far have been unable to.

I agree with Chaz. Super premium is best. Trader Joe's Vanilla is da bomb - great value, and rich an creamy.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

rayout wrote:the Vegan Menace
Too funny! :lol: I've been a vegetarian, not vegan though, since the early 80's and people like PETA disgust me. I know the vast majority of people in America eat meat and will continue to do so but I have decide to not. I can't stand morons like PETA or Sea Shepards or any of the other environmental Nazis who want to ram their philosophy down everyone's throat figuratively and literally.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

I drink whole milk.
Last edited by CaliJim on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nl2134

Post by nl2134 »

To reply to the original question:

I drink a cup of skim milk a day.
Jethro2007

Post by Jethro2007 »

Hey Y'all,

I have switched to Vitamin D milk, because it has the most calcium enriched nutrients of all milk types, aside from whole milk...

You see folks; Calcium is fat soluble, meaning it is dissolved in the fat, take away the fat, Skim milk, you take away the calcium...Then you need to take calcium supplements cause there is no calcium that can be absorbed from your Skim milk...

Also;Dairy has no impact on the Glycemic index, people...People with diabetes, are very susceptile to spikes in blood sugar...The Glycemic index will show you that not all carbs are the same...

Get with the program, look at the Mediterranean Diet, it has the most fat of all diets...Fat is not evil...Get real...My mom had this thing about not using butter and advocating margarine, instead...Hell, that margarine sh#t will kill you quicker than butter...Fats in moderation are fine...
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I have about a cup of milk every day with my cereal. 2%, I splurge for organic because it tastes better.
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Jethro2007 wrote:Hey Y'all,

I have switched to Vitamin D milk, because it has the most calcium enriched nutrients of all milk types, aside from whole milk...

You see folks; Calcium is fat soluble, meaning it is dissolved in the fat, take away the fat, Skim milk, you take away the calcium...Then you need to take calcium supplements cause there is no calcium that can be absorbed from your Skim milk...
I think you mean that Vitamin D is fat soluble and that calcium needs Vitamin D to be absorbed. Therefore calcium needs fat to be absorbed.

I've always wondered about fat soluble vitamins. I've heard that in a low fat diet, people may not be absorbing some vitamins. So does it matter if there is fat in the meal or not? Let's say you eat a salad and other vegetables for lunch but no fat, then you have 20 grams of fat three hours later and that overall, your diet contains a good amount of fat. Did you screw yourself from absorbing the nutrients in the salad and vegetables by not having fat with the meal, or is it fine since your overall fat intake is sufficient?
LAbob

Post by LAbob »

Pros and cons from a reliable source:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitch ... iry-truths
Joe S.

Post by Joe S. »

leonard wrote:
monkey_business wrote:
Any proof of this?
He didn't ask you to definitely prove it, only offer some evidence. Your claims about saturated fat and dietary cholesterol are not the consensus view of physicians.
Joe S.

Post by Joe S. »

cinghiale wrote: Milk has a specific purpose: to grow and add substantial weight to a newborn calf in a short period of time.

Cow milk has a specific purpose: to feed a calf, not feed a human.
Honey has a specific purpose: to feed a bee, not feed a human.
Meat (animal muscle) has a specific purpose: to help an animal move, not feed a human.
Fruits and Vegetables have a specific purpose: to help plants do things, not feed a human.

Nothing humans eat was "designed" specifically fo feed humans, it was all designed for other purposes. This argument that you shouldn't eat things not designed for you doesn't seem to be practical.

I suppose (tongue in cheek) that the only food "designed" for humans is human milk, and that is only designed for babies. Human milk being in short supply, one might consider substituting cow milk, although this has somewhat more fat than human milk, so you might try low fat milk. (I repeat, this in only tongue in cheek, I don't think this whole "designed" argument has any merit.)
rdmayo21

Post by rdmayo21 »

My beverage of choice is unsweetened coconut milk with all of its saturated fat goodness. :D I dare you to show how that's bad for you.
brianH

Post by brianH »

Nope, too much sugar (lactose) for my liking. I do drink heavy cream, or at least I used to. The brand I would buy that was reasonable is thickened with stuff that I'd rather not eat.

I do eat cheese and 4% cottage cheese on occasion.