Whats the best mattress out there

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
amdmaxx

Whats the best mattress out there

Post by amdmaxx »

Any help appreciated.

I know firm is good. thats about all I know.. And pillow top adds luxury.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Whats the best mattress out there

Post by LadyGeek »

You'll find lots of good info here: Anybody Ever Remove a Pillowtop from a Mattress?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
SkolVikes7

Post by SkolVikes7 »

I bought a tempurpedic mattress three years ago. It was much more stiff than I thought it would be, but after about three or four nights I got used to the stiffness. I think it has been worth every penny and I would buy one again in a heart beat. I have compressed discs in my lower back and this mattress really helps. I think it's all about personal preferance when it comes to pillow top, stiffness, etc., although the stiffness and countouring to my body really helps my back. I know I got completely lucky, but take a look on craigslist. I found a brand new King size with the boxsprings still in the wrappers for $1000. It was a wealthy couple who just had an extra one laying around. Point is, the chance exists to find a great deal. Good Luck!
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

amdmaxx wrote:Any help appreciated.

I know firm is good. thats about all I know.. And pillow top adds luxury.
Wrong, and wrong.

Most people with back issues prefer firm mattresses, but it's not that simple. One rule of thumb is that if you wake up with lower back pain from your current mattress, go firmer; if you wake up with upper back pain, you may need something softer.

A pillow top does NOT add luxury! All it adds is problems. The pillow top is a low density polyurethane that is designed to sell the mattress, period. It feels wonderful for a few weeks or a few months, but it inevitably packs down and can never be made to feel the same as it did when new in the store. The warrantee does not help you here because the amount of packing you get is usually defined as normal wear, even though the hammocking can be significant.

There is a way to get a high quality mattress that is frugal, luxurious, and can be changed inexpensively if you make a mistake: buy a good quality basic mattress of the correct firmness for you, and purchase your topper separately. You can buy toppers of all sorts of materials, as thick as you like to get exactly the comfort you want - memory foam, latex, feather, wool, even low density polyurethane if that's what you prefer. You can replace a polyurethane topper much more cheaply than you can replace an entire mattress, and good springs should last a very long time.
Die Hard

Post by Die Hard »

We just bought a new king firm mattress from a small mattress factory about 30 minutes from our house. It is a small family owned business. He said it takes about 20 minutes on the machine line from start to finish to make a king mattress.

Paid $800
The best way to teach your children about money is to not have any.............
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

The one that you've stuffed all your money in, after the banking system fails... :D
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

I think it was another thread here that turned me on to the site:

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/

.. lots of info there, but the folks aren't all that helpful about answering newbie questions.

Most there seem to feel the best way to get the perfect mattress for yourself is by stacking layers of various kinds of foam with various qualities, particularly the ILD (a measure of "firmness"). Typically there is a stack with firmest at the bottom and softness at the top. This provides comfort and support - not mutually exclusive. Typically the lower layer or two is a polyurethane foam, hopefully a very high-quality one. On top of that is a layer or two of either latex foam or memory foam. Memory foam has a lot of buzz due to Tempurpedic's marketing machine, but memory foam is not for everyone: it tends to sleep "hot", and they say it's not good if you toss and turn a lot, because it forms to you body shape and takes a while to re-form (of course, they also say that you will stop tossing and turning because it's so comfy).

I've decided it's not for me, especially since I already own a latex foam mattress that had some cheap-ass "egg crate" foam on it, which I removed. The resulting slab of latex is too firm, so I'm experimenting with adding layers of softer latex.

My girlfriend is starting from scratch. We just bought her two layers of high-quality polyurethane, 3" each, to use as the foundation. Then we'll try a 1" piece of soft latex I bought for my bed on it. Maybe try folding that in half and see how that feels.

This iterative process may seem like more of a pain than many are into, but it's a good way to get the mattress that really feels right for YOU. Inexpensively - I expect the girlfriend's mattress will end up costing$400-600 (queen-size).
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

A full latex mattress is the way to go if you don't want to shell out for a Tempur-pedic. I don't like the feel of Tempur-pedics personally.
RustyShackleford

BruDude wrote:A full latex mattress is the way to go if you don't want to shell out for a Tempur-pedic. I don't like the feel of Tempur-pedics personally.
Just goes to show you that Temperpedic is overpriced - because latex is intrrinsically quite a bit more expensive than memory foam:

http://www.mattressbymail.com/
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

Mine is a latex. It's probably the best choice for truly difficult people like me because it is the most customizable. They're also a good choice for people with allergies and chemical sensitivities. But just like with the other options, not everyone likes them. My husband's not a big fan of ours and would rather have an innerspring, but he puts up with it because it helps me so much. They're also not cheap, and really heavy. Good mattresses, though.
lawman3966

Post by lawman3966 »

Air mattress from Air beds unlimited.

I shopped in vain for a comfortable mattress until discovering Select Comfort in the early 90s. I bought several Select Comfort mattresses ("several" because they kept going soft after about four years) over the years, and liked them very much, at least in the condition in which they first arrived.

I later discovered Air Beds unlimited. So far, so good. They seem to have superior air bladder materials and better pumps than the other air mattress suppliers. If you are considering an air mattress, I'd at least google them and check out their web site and products.

For either product, check out the review/complaint boards on the Internet. You can learn more from those boards than you ever will from the advertising.
Imperabo

Post by Imperabo »

Just about anything with one of these on top feels perfect to me:

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Studio-2-In ... 642&sr=8-1
Don Robins

Post by Don Robins »

I vote for the Tempurpedic. I read the long thread on this subject a few months ago. Went to the mattress stores and bought the tempurpedic. It is better than the firm inner spring mattresses we have slept on for decades. I judge it worth the high cost.
RustyShackleford

Imperabo wrote:Just about anything with one of these on top feels perfect to me:

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Studio-2-In ... 642&sr=8-1
Looks like a pretty good price - better than the link I quoted above. However, that link has quite a few more options for grade and thickness of the memory foam. As well as other types of foam - and, as stated before, memory foam isn't for everyone.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

We had a queen Select Comfort air mattress for years, which at the time I thought was a good mattress. We replaced it with a queen Tempurpedic, liked it much better. When we decided to get a king sized bed we got the top of the line adjustable Tempurpedic, which is undoubtedly the best mattress I've ever owned. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has back problems or is just looking for a good night's sleep. When we travel, after two or three nights on a hotel mattress, and we usually stay at pretty decent hotels, we are both feeling like our backs are in danger of going out. No similar problem with the Tempurpedic, we wake up with no back pain at all.

gatorman
marylandcrab

Post by marylandcrab »

I don't like the tempurpedic. I feel like a turtle stuck on my back and it gets really hot. We got a Sealy somethingerother a few years ago, one of the kind where you can't feel your partner rolling around or getting up. That helped me sleep a lot better instantly. When you shop for one make sure you bring your sleeping partner and lay on it for at least 15 minutes - what feels comfortable when you first lay down doesn't necessarily mean it will a few minutes later.
boffalora

Post by boffalora »

My wife and I are longtime fans of Stearns & Foster mattresses. When we or another family member have needed a new one we always shop around, especially checking out new technologies such as Tempurpedic (my wife is fond of their pillows) and giving them their full due. But somehow the road always leads to S&F, which is now the premium mattress line of Sealy.
l2ridehd

Post by l2ridehd »

I have had almost every brand of mattress at one time or another. Tempurpedic, Stearns and Foster, Select comfort, Spring Air, Sealy (never ever again), Simmons, Serta, and although expense, the best one ever is a Simmons NxG. Best place to buy any mattress is usmattress.com. They deliver, set up and remove and seem to have the best prices.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Well, you asked for the "best" rather than the "most reasonably priced" mattress, so I would have to say: Duxiana. We've had one for years, and it is still wonderful. It is beyond pricy.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Midpack

Post by Midpack »

Having owned med coil spring, firm coil spring, waterbed, sleep number (air) and now layered natural latex, you need to answer at least one more question before deciding. Do you sleep on your back, side and/or stomach? The right mattress depends on your answer.

For example, I sleep on my side and the sleep number was painful no matter how firm/soft. But if you sleep on your back, it may be a great choice. And whether or not you're sleeping with a partner matters too...
You only live once...
swaption

Post by swaption »

Had a Sealy Latex for a number of years and it is fantastic.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

It seems like Bogleheads are extremely picky when it comes to mattresses. I've had cheap mattresses my whole life and they've been fine. I currently have a queen Simmons Beautyrest that was $500 for everything. Had it about two years and so far it's fantastic. Yeah, they start to sag a tiny bit but it's not cement. It's a bed. You should expect some wear and tear. It's still very comfortable.
John in Pinehurst

Post by John in Pinehurst »

We tried Tempurpedic when we were at the beach and found it to be hot and felt like you were going to sink and couldn't turn over without effort. We've have had 3 Select Comfort mattresses, one we sold with an RV we had. The other 2 we still have. The oldest is so old it doesn't even have sleep numbers. We bought it probably 25 years ago or more. It still works great. What we learned is they never wear out. Through the years our desired firmness changed, no big deal, just change the mattress setting. And, you can have his and her's settings.
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

Invest in a natural latex mattress. You will get a lot of life out of it, sleep great, and it is healthier than breathing all the fumes all night in a cheap mattress. Tempurpedic might feel good but at the expense of your health.

http://books.google.com/books?id=OrzevQ ... e&q&f=true
bdavidson

Post by bdavidson »

We splurged this year on an Aireloom handmade mattress. Organic cotton and all that hype. No regrets so far, but it's only 6 months old. Nice place to spend 1/3 of your life.
Austex1

Post by Austex1 »

After doing a lot of research and trying to find something natural, made in N America, and non-allergenic, we decided on an Organic Natura natural latex mattress. It is supposed to allow much greater air flow and moisture wicking than temperpedic or others, which is good for cooler sleeping. Plus I like that it is all natural so no chemical off-gassing or allergens. Naturally repels dust mites. "apartment therapy" website recently reviewed a bunch of mattresses in many price ranges. If you search for "mattress" on that site, you should be able to find all their reviews, which are quite helpful.
arsenebould

Post by arsenebould »

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
investor1

Post by investor1 »

You bump a 2.5 year old thread to post your spam???
arsenebould

Post by arsenebould »

investor1 wrote:You bump a 2.5 year old thread to post your spam???
Just wanted to save people some research time. Doing what a fellow boglehead did to me.

By the way this is a thread which comes up once u google mattress on this forum.

Thanks
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

They make Organic mattresses now? Sheesh. I had no idea. I'm planning on sticking with my Tempurpedic for awhile, but maybe after that. I never even thought of the fumes as being a big deal.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?