Best Time of Year To Buy Tires

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Best Time of Year To Buy Tires

Postby Leesbro63 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Is there a "best time of year" to buy tires? I noticed that both Michelin and Goodyear are now offering rebates. Which means nothing since I never tuned into this before. Maybe they always offer rebates. I would think that just before snow would be the WORST time to buy tires as people recognize they need meat on the bone for winter. But I dunno...that's why I'm asking!
Leesbro63

Re: Best Time of Year To Buy Tires

Postby PreserveCapital » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:32 am

Tires are something that most of us don't consume fast enough to replace on a "seasonal" basis.

If you need new ones, then you need them when you need them.

If your tread is worn down it doesn't make sense to wait too long for a sale.
PreserveCapital

Postby touchdowntodd » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:44 am

best time of the year is when your tread is getting lot and there is a good deal on craigslist ...

i buy all my tires on craigslist .. just got the wife some snow tires for her yaris .. $90 a piece nakians .. $150 for all 4, and they have tread like new, actually more tread depth than a friends graspics that he just got new last week ..
tryin to do this right... thanks guys
touchdowntodd

Postby Bylo Selhi » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:55 am

PreserveCapital wrote:Tires are something that most of us don't consume fast enough to replace on a "seasonal" basis... If your tread is worn down it doesn't make sense to wait too long for a sale.

I agree that you should replace tires when they need replacing, not when they go on sale. According to a recent issue of Consumer Reports there's a lot of variability in tire pricing. In general, but not always, you'll get the best deals online.

Some online sellers like tirerack.com also have a program under which you can choose a local installer to which tirerack.com will ship your tires. One advantage of this is that you may be able to avoid state sales tax. I recently had a set of 4 Michelins shipped to a tirerack.com-recommended Goodyear tire store south of Buffalo, NY. (Goodyear doesn't sell Michelin tires but their tire stores will install anything that tirerack.com ships to them.) My tires were installed in under an hour. The only sales tax I paid was on the cost of installation. The transaction couldn't have been smoother as was my drive on new tires down to Philly. I'll be doing business with tirerack.com again.
Bylo Selhi

Postby Leesbro63 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:27 pm

I know all about Tire Rack. Just wondering if there is any seasonality. I can predict with fairly decent accuracy when my tires will need to be replaced. I have one car right now that will need tires in about 9 months. Just wondering if it makes sense to buy now (Tire Rack has Goodyear rebates on the tire that I'll need) versus waiting until next summer. Particularly since, when buying online, installation is a separate matter no matter when they're installed. Oh and I found that Walmart will install any tires cheaper than the Tire Rack partners.
Leesbro63

Postby touchdowntodd » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:37 pm

agreed... i ALWAYS use wal mart for tire swapping .. $55 for all 4 balanced and all 2 days ago for the wife .. cant beat that! the wait of 1 hour was a little long though ...
tryin to do this right... thanks guys
touchdowntodd

Postby DavidC » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:Some online sellers like tirerack.com also have a program under which you can choose a local installer to which tirerack.com will ship your tires. One advantage of this is that you may be able to avoid state sales tax. I recently had a set of 4 Michelins shipped to a tirerack.com-recommended Goodyear tire store south of Buffalo, NY. (Goodyear doesn't sell Michelin tires but their tire stores will install anything that tirerack.com ships to them.) My tires were installed in under an hour. The only sales tax I paid was on the cost of installation. The transaction couldn't have been smoother as was my drive on new tires down to Philly. I'll be doing business with tirerack.com again.
In general for the average American they technically can only postpone and not avoid paying the sales/use tax (Source 1, Source 2). That may not necessarily apply to you since you appear to live in Canada.
There is nothing that demonstrates the inherent strangeness of this forum better than that US government savings bonds... are the sexiest, trendiest possible investment on this site. - momar
DavidC

Postby Bylo Selhi » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:59 pm

DavidC wrote:That may not necessarily apply to you since you appear to live in Canada.

Fair enough. Yes, I ordered from Canada but had the tires shipped to NY state. There was no sales tax on the tires which were shipped from IN. Presumably since I'm not a resident of NY I don't have to file a state tax return there.

There was also no duty or Canadian sales taxes when I drove back home because I was out of the country long enough to qualify for the $750 personal import exemption. All in all I saved about 25% on the cost of tires compared to the best price I could find here.

Not that it matters for sales tax purposes but ironically the tires are actually made in Canada (in Nova Scotia.) You'd think that Canadians should be able to buy stuff that's made in Canada for less than it would cost them to buy it in the US. But you'd be wrong ;)
Bylo Selhi

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm

http://www.tirerack.com must be growing. I have actually seen a couple of ads on TV for the company. I haven't bought any tires from them, but many on this board have.

Michelin and Goodrich always seem to have discounts available at Costco, BJs, and Sam's Club.

As well, every time the mail is delivered there are plenty of flyers for sales going on at local tire places. So, I'd have to say I don't think there is a season for tires, unless tire sales spike before summer vacation driving, or beginning of winter for snow tires.

Any time I've needed tires, I have been able to find some on sale, somewhere.

Sam I Am
Sam I Am

Postby jeffyscott » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:09 pm

I was told about a year ago that I should get new tires. Since I don't drive many miles and I knew the guy advising me is very conservative on his tire replacement recommendations, I decided to get through one more winter.

Because I knew I'd be buying tires, I signed up for notifications of rebate programs at tire rack. Rebates came and went at different times and the highest I remember seeing was about $80. At some point, I decided what specific tires I wanted and waited to see if rebate would appear. When Sept. came they offered a free GPS navigation system with 4 tires, so I bought them.

Ended up using tire rack only because the neither independent shops could get the brand of tires I wanted, so they both said I could have tire rack ship them to them...went with the one 2 blocks from my office that charged only $64 for mounting, balancing, valve stems, and disposal. To me that beats spending an hour or two at Wal-Mart and them maybe having them say they can't do the job (as they once did to my son, who to be fair, does have a very exotic car/wheels...a 2001 Focus with standard steel wheels).
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle
jeffyscott

Postby Leesbro63 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Three follow up comments: First, I once got a GPS with tires. It was junk. In the future I will (and have) avoid rebates in kind in favor of cash or cash giftcard equivalents. Unless it's for a specific tire that I'd buy at that price anyway. Second, yes, the other major advantage, beyond lowest price, of TIRE RACK or Discount Tire is selection. The local tire guys generally push what they have. Which is probably OK in most cases, but also probably not optimal. Finally regarding waiting at Walmart (and doctor offices): I generally get there first thing when they open in the morning to get in and out (with docs I request the first appt of the day). Generally this works fine.
Leesbro63

Return to Personal Consumer Issues