tryin to get the most alcohol for the buck for college party

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fratdude

tryin to get the most alcohol for the buck for college party

Post by fratdude »

So we have a house with 5 guys in it and we're throwing a party pretty soon, probably will have somewhere between 60-100 people show up.

I figured there are some bogleheads who might have some good experience to share from their college days.

In the past, we've bought cheap liquor and a keg along with soda, and that always ends up going pretty poorly because we ran out at a party we had last semester and it cost us over 200 bucks, on top of having to go out to get more beer to keep the party going.

So basically my question is, what's the cheapest way to get enough refreshments to last the whole party without breaking the bank? One guy suggested a keystone keg which we think we can get for like 60 bucks and hunch punch made from hawaiian punch and cheap vodka. If we did that, we think we could do the party for under 100 bucks, which would be around 20 bucks a roommate, then we could afford to really enjoy our senior year in college. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated by these college guys on a budget.
Indices

Post by Indices »

Moonshine, but if you make it wrong you'll go blind and/or die.
pcola2234

Post by pcola2234 »

ha! well I suppose that sounds reasonable in regards to your suggested change, just make good decisions and party responsibly
dm200

Post by dm200 »

"Perception" is more important than "reality", IMO. Unless there are partygoers who scientifically analyze the alcoloh content, go for things that seem like most bang for the buck vs. a scientific "proof" (so to speak).
Topic Author
fratdude

Post by fratdude »

Not sure if moonshine would go over well with most of the girls at the party, got any suggestions for a mix that won't kill us?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Cheapest way: BYOB ... Ask everyone to bring their own 6-pack.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
tj218

Post by tj218 »

1 keg = 140-170 beers depending on pour style.

60-100 people will need more than 1 keg. The cheaper the beer, the more you will need. Few college students can afford more expensive/heavier beer than domestic light beer. Natural Light was a favorite when I was in college, nice and cheap. The only catch is most girls in college hate the cheap beer, so you need the punch too.

Depending on your jurisdiction, can you charge for entrance, entertainment, or even cups? A couple dollar charge will get you breaking even, $5 or more and you will find you actually make money throwing parties. You can also try charging only the guys, to encourage more girls and thus more guys to show up.

If the the goal of this party is the same as most college parties, with that number of people you will need at least 3 kegs.
Last edited by tj218 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
fratdude

Post by fratdude »

Do you think we should only ask the guys to bring a 6pack? certainly dont want to discourage any ladies from coming to the party
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

fratdude wrote:Do you think we should only ask the guys to bring a 6pack? certainly dont want to discourage any ladies from coming to the party
The ladies that byob are keepers. ;)
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
Topic Author
fratdude

Post by fratdude »

The ladies that byob are keepers. ;)[/quote]

best quote ive heard in a long time, hell yeah!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Ask your guests to come already drunk. Don't let them in if they can walk a straight line. Girls, too. :lol:

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The girls can bring Mike's Hard Lemonade and Smirnoff Ice.

You should be testing the Sermon on the Mount ideas and have plenty of alcohol leftover for another party the next weekend.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
fratdude

Post by fratdude »

genius!!! finish the keg party!!!

so just to update people i think keystone light is the new natural light, a keg of keystone is about $5 cheaper and the guys and girls didn't seem to pick up on it last time we had a party

3 kegs? that's a ton, hope we can just get some guys to byob
drh

Post by drh »

You should diversify your portfolio of alcoholic beverages.

60% beer
30% wine
10% hard liquor

With the beer, I would suggest an 80/20 split between domestic/import.

Of course, you should avoid buying individual beers. If you must do this, only do it with 5% of your portfolio.

This allocation may not be appropriate for you -- you may get better responses if you post according to the suggested format, so include your age, risk tolerance, current allocations etc.

Wait, this is still Bogleheads forum, right? :-)
CordMcNally

Post by CordMcNally »

If I were you I'd get 3 kegs along with making cowboy kool-aid/trashcan punch/whatever you like to call it. Guys pay $5 at the door and girls drink free.

PS: I hope you don't have a nice house.
3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler »

Two kegs of PBR.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

drh wrote:You should diversify your portfolio of alcoholic beverages.

60% beer
30% wine
10% hard liquor

Of course, you should avoid buying individual beers. If you must do this, only do it with 5% of your portfolio.

This allocation may not be appropriate for you -- you may get better responses if you post according to the suggested format, so include your age, risk tolerance, current allocations etc.
This is good for liquid investments. But what if some guests introduce bubbles into the market and others frigidity?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
fratdude

Post by fratdude »

drh wrote:You should diversify your portfolio of alcoholic beverages.

60% beer
30% wine
10% hard liquor

Wait, this is still Bogleheads forum, right? :-)

Emergency funds: 10-20 individual beers in the fridge, lots of international ones, don't know how we ended up with em but we're stuck now until we liquidate

50% beer (not sure on the future returns of this, especially if people decide they go for the trash punch)

0% wine LET THEM EAT CAKE!!!

45% alternatives (trash punch, but we hope we can get this in a low cost form, like powder for the punch and cheap vodka so we dont have the storage costs), this time its different, the sugar can substitute for some of the alcohol

5% liquor - volatile as crap, really not sure if i have the risk tolerance to handle taking any more of this, i might withdraw from the party completely and just lose it if i use any more of this in my portfolio
pcola2234

Post by pcola2234 »

haha that's pretty funny, well if im throwing in my two cents id say the punch idea might be a good one as some of the sugar content will add to the kick of the alcohol content, so you'll probably get more bang for your buck

jello shots? that might be cheap
Topic Author
fratdude

Post by fratdude »

3CT_Paddler wrote:Two kegs of PBR.
how cheap is PBR thought? more or less than natural light?
Topic Author
fratdude

Post by fratdude »

CordMcNally wrote:If I were you I'd get 3 kegs along with making cowboy kool-aid/trashcan punch/whatever you like to call it. Guys pay $5 at the door and girls drink free.

PS: I hope you don't have a nice house.
and yeah the house is pretty crappy, we made sure it would be good for partying before we leased it, checked it out with some parties that got thrown here before, we;ll just have to put expensive stuff like the tv in ppl's rooms and lock it up
boglebill

Post by boglebill »

Basically - your budget is fixed. You need to get creative with execution. Unless you collect a door fee (probably illegal).

- Use smaller cups.
- Make the beer more difficult to get to. Don't put it in the most open, accessible area.

Be safe ... check id's ... WHAT?! I had to say something responsible!
norookie

Post by norookie »

:D Do not forget the special's, for navel shots. Absinthe, and Everclear. No "driving" :wink: mowing the lawn, or riding a horse afterward.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Hint: the percentage of alcohol in urine is about 1.3 times the percentage of alcohol in the blood.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

The OP sounds like those Yale students who used to write Ann Landers.
Gordon
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

We used to just go around and said making a beer run. People usually had a few and would hand over a few dollars.

Don't drink and drive.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Last edited by CaliJim on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

Definitely the best bang for the buck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

Remember legal liability and under-age drinking liability. It could turn into a very expensive party.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

When I was in college we made jungle juice and had a few kegs - we also charged at the door and more than covered our expenses.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
fratdude

Post by fratdude »

definitely no freshmen will be at the party, only for upperclassmen this time,

but how do you charge at the door without making it awkward, most of these guys will be bros and we dont want to seem super cheap, what about a jar or hat for beer money? probably no one would contribute

i remember for my 21st i spent over 100 bucks and we had to go around and ask for money it got so expensive, really awkward,

do you think asking for $5 will make people want to come back?
Topic Author
fratdude

Post by fratdude »

and i know this conversation is pretty low brow, but hey we want to save money and invest it boglehead style right :lol:
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

If you really wanna get drank, get cheap sparkling whine and russian vodka then mix it and enjoy the flight.
Last edited by Ed 2 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

Best advice: make sure everyone is over 21.
Last edited by SwampDonkey on Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

......probably will have somewhere between 60-100 people show up………… we think we could do the party for under 100 bucks, which would be around 20 bucks a roommate, then we could
You aren’t a math major are you?

Entertaining a hundred people for a hundred dollars gives you a budget of one dollar per person.

No matter house much you skimp that won’t happen.

I would make if BYOB but spend the hundred bucks on a showy food like a whole BBQ’ed pig or at if that is too complicated then good spread of food that might have a theme

For the drinks you could do something like provide the blenders and have something like a Margareta or daiquiri contest that the people would bring their own ingredients for to see who can make the best drink.
Topic Author
fratdude

Post by fratdude »

watty you dont think it's possible? i mean 60 bucks like we said for keg, have ppl bring 6 packs, 30 bucks for 3 handles of cheap vodka, and 10 bucks for dehydrated punch mix at sams club? we do have a few leftover handles left over. obviously not factoring in water cost, and we're kinda guessing itll be closer to 60 than 100, we had a rager that was way over 100 and that was a bad decision, beer was gone in less than 2 hours. we had to get strategic about more carefully limiting the number of guys, the last party one of our buddies that lives in this sketch dorm like housing told all the people there and we had 20+ random dudes we didnt even know. gotta even the odds.

SwampDonkey you're the man, im passing those suggestions on to the boys
CordMcNally

Post by CordMcNally »

fratdude wrote: but how do you charge at the door without making it awkward, most of these guys will be bros and we dont want to seem super cheap, what about a jar or hat for beer money? probably no one would contribute

i remember for my 21st i spent over 100 bucks and we had to go around and ask for money it got so expensive, really awkward,

You just tell people before hand that it's going to be $5 at the door for guys. This is pretty commonplace. Why would people not want to come back if it's $5 all you can drink? That's about as good as you could hope for in college.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

CordMcNally wrote:
fratdude wrote: but how do you charge at the door without making it awkward, most of these guys will be bros and we dont want to seem super cheap, what about a jar or hat for beer money? probably no one would contribute

You just tell people before hand that it's going to be $5 at the door for guys. This is pretty commonplace. Why would people not want to come back if it's $5 all you can drink? That's about as good as you could hope for in college.
Pretty much - unless you go to a small school, but 100 people is a pretty good crowd so I doubt your school is small. I went to parties at UPenn/Temple/TCNJ/Rowan/Rutgers and $5 to get in was not uncommon.

If it's mainly a frat brother party or for rush - I would imagine everyone would chip in. I wasn't greek so I can't tell you how that typically works.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
DTSC

Post by DTSC »

Why do you need to ask here? Isn't this what you join a fraternity to learn? Don't they teach this stuff to pledges and college student in general these day? No wonder college costs are going up and up; kids don't even know how to get cheap booze. Sigh...

Don't they sell PBR, Carling Black Label, Red White and Blue, and my personal favorite for buzz-to-buck completely generic beer (like in the Movie Repo Man) anymore?

We were so poor when I was in college we once had a Wine and Cheese party with Night Train and Velveeta!
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

I've seen how this one ends and it involves a Foley and a hallway bed.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

VictoriaF wrote:Ask your guests to come already drunk. Don't let them in if they can walk a straight line. Girls, too. :lol:
You're not drunk if you can lie down on the floor without hanging on!

Seriously, threads like this boggle me...I have no ability whatsoever to consume alcohol in any kind of quantity and have it be enjoyable. Two thirds of a small glass of wine or a beer is my absolute limit, past that I get panic attacks and tachycardia...I cannot for the life of me figure out what people get out of it they like. It's not a being out of control thing, a lot of other substances have worked just fiiiiiine...anyway.

-janet
grayfox

Post by grayfox »

Don't drink and drive!
jazzykat

Post by jazzykat »

Here is my opinion.

To charge or not to charge? This is a cultural thing which depends on what is acceptable at your school. I would never charge anyone to come to a party that I throw, I think it's tacky. However, having co-hosted keggers and the like I can tell you that it isn't necessarily cheap nor does it ensure that you are going to impress the ladies either. You can just as easily go to another party and pull tail. I can also tell you that many times I wished I was anywhere but the party but I am sure that is just my sparkling misanthropic personality.

SPECIAL PARTY TIP: Have a secure lock on your door, and lock your door before the party. It avoids unpleasant situations that you may never have considered from happening in your room. It also gives you a private (maybe quiet place) to escape from the party. Remember, you can't just go home...

Best bang for the buck has to be either:

1. cheapest keg beer. HOWEVER, take turns being the keg meister so that tons of it aren't wasted on bad and "clearing the lines" pours.

AND

$5 a handle vodka + Punch. NEVER drink the vodka straight it is incredibly awful tasting. By generic Kool-Aid in a big plastic container. You can sweeten it as much as you want by adding sugar to it. Test out some mixtures/ratios to find something that doesn't completely taste like rubbish before the night of the party.

OR

2. You need a gimic like a cocktail contest where x amount of contestants vie to create the best cocktail. They have to fund their own ingredients and you just spend some money on keg beer,ice, advertising (depending on how fancy you want to make it) and some really cheesy trophies/medals. This is of course more risky but has the possibility of starting of as just another party.

3. Lastly, you can have an invite only party. If you don't have an invite you can't get in the door. Now obviously you may make exceptions for the ladies so your numbers are going to skew. If you have an invite only party you may want to consider letting other friends buy invites as a way to co-host.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Makes one feel for the landlord 8-) . One party I remember - big old house completely filled (200 hundred inside maybe) - music going - people going - good time by all then - crackkkkkkkk! - floor beams start to go
Valuethinker

Re: tryin to get the most alcohol for the buck for college p

Post by Valuethinker »

fratdude wrote:So we have a house with 5 guys in it and we're throwing a party pretty soon, probably will have somewhere between 60-100 people show up.

I figured there are some bogleheads who might have some good experience to share from their college days.

In the past, we've bought cheap liquor and a keg along with soda, and that always ends up going pretty poorly because we ran out at a party we had last semester and it cost us over 200 bucks, on top of having to go out to get more beer to keep the party going.

So basically my question is, what's the cheapest way to get enough refreshments to last the whole party without breaking the bank? One guy suggested a keystone keg which we think we can get for like 60 bucks and hunch punch made from hawaiian punch and cheap vodka. If we did that, we think we could do the party for under 100 bucks, which would be around 20 bucks a roommate, then we could afford to really enjoy our senior year in college. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated by these college guys on a budget.
Maybe this is the moment to suggest you are optimizing on the wrong objective function?

ie the point is not about getting drunk, and overly cheap alcohol is an incentive to get drunk.

I too was 21 once and did not listen, either. But just a word from someone more than twice your age.

And do remember Shakespeare 'doth add to the desire, and take away from the performance'.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

interplanetjanet wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Ask your guests to come already drunk. Don't let them in if they can walk a straight line. Girls, too. :lol:

Seriously, threads like this boggle me...I have no ability whatsoever to consume alcohol in any kind of quantity and have it be enjoyable. Two thirds of a small glass of wine or a beer is my absolute limit, past that I get panic attacks and tachycardia...I cannot for the life of me figure out what people get out of it they like. It's not a being out of control thing, a lot of other substances have worked just fiiiiiine...anyway.

-janet
What is interesting is the people you meet 25 years later... who are with AA.

You look back and wonder why them, and not you? Did they stand out as drinkers when we were 21?

I've never had a friend die from liver failure, yet, thank God, but it is supposed to be one of the most agonizing ways to go.
tdirgins

Post by tdirgins »

Everclear punch. You start out like this :) and end up like :P . Careful on the intake or you end like this :twisted: .
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

SwampDonkey wrote:FINALLY!!! A topic that I feel like I can constructively contribute to. It's about time...

By the sounds of it, you're throwing a typical college party where you have no idea who exactly will be showing up; it's one of those, spread the word to a few friends and they spread to their friends and so on and so on.Good on you. Those are the best. I highly recommend hiding any electronics (not including the stereo, of course).

Whenever we threw these we avoided the cover charge at the door and just charged for cups. We found the biggest dude we knew, gave him a 50 pack of keg cups and had him walking through the house, charging $5 a cup. We never had a problem covering our expenses.

If you're anticipating quite a few ladies, jello shots were always a hit and cheap to make if you bought the bottom shelf, half-gallons of vodka. Couldn't tell the difference in the taste.

If you're looking for some ridiculous party ideas, let me know.
This is perhaps a London thing, but we had to hire security. I mean the real thing.

The crashers can *destroy* your party.

Also we lived in a neighbourhood where too much noise and the locals solved it in a very London sort of way think The Long Good Friday or Mona Lisa.

When a quiet gentlemen with a neck as thick as your thigh and a silver Mercedes comes by and asks you to quiet down, because his mum is trying to sleep, in East London, you *pay attention*. :? :?
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

interplanetjanet wrote:

-janet
You probably do remember the scene in 'Real Genius'.

Val Kilmer:

'Gentlemen you have to understand. Given your chosen major and likely careers and demographic, this could be the last time you ever have in your life to........

Have Sex'