Diet Cokes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

dkdoy wrote:Good luck Munchkin Man, you are an inspiration. I also crave Diet Coke, keep us posted on your progress.
Greetings dkdoy:

Thank you very much for your message.

The Munchkin Man is very glad to hear that the Munchkin Man has been an inspiration to you.

The Munchkin Man will be hoping that you will eventually comes to terms with your own cravings for Diet Coke and be successful.

If the Munchkin Man can do it, you can do it also.

The Munchkin Man will keep you posted on the Munchkin Man's progress.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

tkc wrote:Congratulations Munchkin Man!

I was also addicted to Diet Coke. It was just about all I drank. One day I received a stern lecture from my father-in-law's oncology radialogist about the artificial sweetners used in diet drinks. I decided I would finish what I had in the refrigerator and that would be it. I had a few minor headaches from the lack of caffeine since I do not drink hot beverages or coffee. I have had two diet drinks in the last five months. The last one I had was awful! The craving is gone. I always have an insulated water glass with me and drink bottled or filtered water. An occasional lemonade or flavored drink packet added to my water takes care of the desire to have something different.

If I can do it, so can you! I actually keep a couple of Diet Cokes in the refrigerator for guests, but have no desire to drink them myself.
Greetings tkc:

Thank you very much for your message.

The Munchkin Man was very interested in reading about the oncologist radiologist's warning about the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas.

On a number of occasions, the Munchkin Man has confessed the Munchkin Man's Diet Coke addiction to several other doctors.

Overall, their attitude was that this was "no big deal" and nothing worth getting worried about.

The Munchkin Man is amazed at how little is know about many of the common everyday products people consume, such as diet sodas, and the health hazards they present.

In the opinion of the Munchkin Man, doctors should not only know better, but also should be the first to know.

Ironically, and unfortunately, it seems to be the consumers who begin to suffer from their side effects who become the first to know.

The Munchkin Man can also relate to your practice of keeping a couple of Diet Cokes in your refrigerator for guests.

About a year ago, the Munchkin Man bought a six-pack of Budweiser in advance for a guest who became unable to show up at the last minute.

Due to the fact that the Munchkin Man no longer enjoys beer, that six-pack is still sitting in the Munchkin Man's refrigerator.

Thanks again for your message.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
mr_bunny

Re: Diet Cokes

Post by mr_bunny »

Munchkin Man wrote:If the Munchkin Man can find some "fizzy water" which contains no additives, such as sugar, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, or any other chemicals, the Munchkin Man may give it a try.
The seltzer bottle serves to discharge a pressurized CO2 cartridge into water that you provide, forming a solution of CO2 dissolved in water. This process creates a very small amount of Carbonic Acid (H2CO3), which has a slightly acidic taste (which, personally, I enjoy). Otherwise, it's just water and CO2.

At your discretion you may add things such as flavored syrups, juices, baking soda (to counter the acidic taste from the carbonic acid), or salt (to mimic the taste of store-bought waters). I prefer it plain. But since you're making it, you control what you're drinking and can enjoy experimenting with what works for you.

I should also mention that when you discharge the CO2 cartridge into the seltzer bottle, it makes a cool sound.

Best wishes.
- Chris
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

markpa wrote:The Munchkin Man might find carbonated water/seltzer water/club soda more appealing than tap water.

The Munchkin Man can make this from tapwater by buying a Sodastream.

The Munchkin Man can buy a kit at Sears for $60-80.00, or from BJ's wholesale for $80-95.00 with twice the CO2.

The Munchkin Man will fnd the reusable bottles stay carbonated for days or weeks after making the seltzer water.

The Munchkin Man can make 30 liters of seltzer per bottle of CO2.

The Munchkin Man can then pay $14 or so with coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond to exchange CO2 tanks.

Or the Munchkin Man can buy an adapter online or on ebay to refill tanks.

Or the Munchkin Man can buy an adapter to hook up to a bigger CO2 bottle.

Then the Munchkin Man can make seltzer water for a penny per liter.

We do this, and flavor with lemon juice, or nothing at all.
Greetings markpa:

Thank you very much for the suggestions you have presented above.

The Munchkin Man had never heard of a Sodastream before.

The Munchkin Man will definitely check this out.

The Munchkin Man might need an in-person tutorial to show the Munchkin Man how this works.

It sounds like doing so will be well worth it.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Christine_NM wrote:Good going, MM.

I gave up all carbonated stuff about 12 years ago. A handy inexpensive thing is a Brita pitcher to keep chilled filtered water. My tap water is not bad so the real advantage is the chilling. Add a bit of lemon juice (no sweetener).

I tried giving up coffee for a couple of years, but that did not work as well. Maybe if it stays so expensive I'll try again.
Greetings Christine_NM:

Thank you very much for your message and your suggestion of a Brita pitcher.

The Munchkin Man will definitely check this out.

In regard to coffee:

The only reason why the Munchkin Man never became addicted to it is that the Munchkin Man never liked the taste of it.

Curiously, the Munchkin Man's sister never liked it either.

Even more curiously, the Munchkin Man recently read an article by an online diet "expert" who touted coffee as a "healthy" beverage, by citing that it can prevent the early onset of dementia and Alzerheimer's Disease.

The Munchkin Man had never heard such an opinion about coffee before.

Thanks again for your message and suggestion.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

Munchkin Man wrote:This is when the Munchkin Man decided:

"Why not now?"
Many of us know what we should do (eat better, exercise, etc), and never get around to saying these words, let alone following through. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your inspirational efforts!
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Lumpr wrote:Munchkin Man -

With regard to a good source of water, you may want to consider getting a water cooler. Considering the price of bottled water, it is fairly economical alternative.
Greetings Lumpr:

Thank you very much for what sounds like a great suggestion.

The Munchkin Man had a local friend who bought a water cooler and its service several years ago.

He has since moved away.

The Munchkin Man never did find out the details of its costs.

Nevertheless, he was very happy with his water cooler and the service it received.

The Munchkin Man will have to check into this.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

jeh wrote:There is definitely something strangely addictive about Diet Coke to some people and I don't think it's good, so congrats for quitting. I don't think it is really about the caffeine, it is something else strange. I am currently trying to convince my sister she is on the road to addiction to caffeine free diet coke in an unhealthy way.
Greetings jeh:

Your statement above resonated with the Munchkin Man in a very powerful way.

The Munchkin Man has always sensed that there was something very strange and mysterious about the addictive power of Diet Cokes and other similar beverages.

About a year ago, a local newspaper columnist wrote about her failure to kick her addiction to Diet Dr. Pepper after many years of effort.

The Munchkin Man suspects that the addictive power in these beverages may be rooted in the combination of their artificial sweeteners and other additives, more so than merely the caffeine.

Hopefully, this is a mystery that will someday be solved.

Given the number of doctors who seem to be in denial about this problem, however, the Munchkin Man believes it may take a while.

Thanks again for your message.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

xerty24 wrote:
Munchkin Man wrote:This is when the Munchkin Man decided:

"Why not now?"
Many of us know what we should do (eat better, exercise, etc), and never get around to saying these words, let alone following through. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your inspirational efforts!
Greetings xerty24:

Thank you very much for your words of congratulations.

In the final analysis, there seems to be no better time to decide upon a firm commitment to quit an addictive substance than NOW.

To be honest, the Munchkin Man "knew" along that the best time to give up the Diet Cokes, start eating better, and start exercising was NOW.

However, the Munchkin Man's defense mechanisms were stalling the Munchkin Man's decision, often to the point of outright denial, and causing the Munchkin Man to take a psychological "flight" from the tasks the Munchkin Man already knew the Munchkin Man should be starting NOW.

Thanks again for your inspirational words.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
texas_archer

Post by texas_archer »

No Problem. The first month wa the hardest, after that it became easier. Ive eaten LOTS of lean chicken breast and lean pork along with a TON of Steamfresh Brocalli. I started at 350 lbs, my blood sugar was high, my cholesterol was high, and my doctor had me on meds. Thats when I decided it was enough. I started eating healthier, walking every day, and I used a website/phone app called MyFitnessPal to keep up with my calories. This morning I weighted 191 lbs. Good luck.

Munchkin Man wrote:
texas_archer wrote:I stopped drinking soda's a year ago and have lost 158 lbs since (diet and exercise helped of course). I carry a Nalgene bottle with me everywhere and use a product called Tru Lemon when I want to add flavor. Its all natural and only has 5 calories.
Greetings texas_archer:

Wow!

Losing 158 pounds during the course of a year is quite an accomplishment.

Congratulations!

The Munchkin Man has some serious weight to lose as well.

So far the Munchkin Man has lost 15 pounds since the Munchkin Man started the Munchkin Man's new and healtheir diet.

Many thanks also for your suggestion of the Tru Lemon product you suggested.

The Munchkin Man has just found and bookmarked their website.

The Munchkin Man has been looking for some healthy alternatives to plain water, which can become a bit monotonous after a while, if the Munchkin Man drinks nothing else.

Thanks again!

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
ddb

Post by ddb »

This post hits home for me! I consumed a steadily increasing dosage of Diet Coke beginning at age 13. In college I was drinking around 8 cans per day. In August 2010 I was drinking about a gallon a day (64-ounce fountain soda from local gas station on way into work and on way home after work).

In August 2010, I was driving into work one Monday morning, and just decided to quit. I happened to be on some strong pain killers from a recent back injury which I thought would help with the withdrawal headaches. I was right, as I got through the first few days with no symptoms. I went about 8 months without a single drop of soda passing my lips. Recently, I've tried to ease back into it by having 1-2 16-oz. bottles per week. So far so good.

Frankly, quitting Diet Coke did not make me feel different or healthier. I just figured that anything consumed so excessively probably isn't a good idea.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB
MekongTrader

Post by MekongTrader »

6-8 cans per day.

8x365days that's almost 3'000 cans per year or 125 carton boxes (24x cans each).

We are talking serious quantities here! And serious $$$!

MT
Cognitive Miser

Post by Cognitive Miser »

I never drank the amounts that some of you have but I stopped drinking it altogether a few years ago.

In animal studies aspartame converts for formaldehyde in the body and accumulates in the tissues causing malignant tumors, lymphomas, and carcinomas (this is not surprising when you consider that formaldehyde is a known carcinogen).

What's worse is that this occurs even at dosages that are considerably smaller that what we've been told is safe.

If you absolutely must continue I'd suggest switching to Coke Zero (sweetened with Splenda) over Diet Coke (sweetened with aspartame).
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

I drink diet coke only when I am eating Menthos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vk4_2xboOE
ddb

Post by ddb »

MekongTrader wrote:6-8 cans per day.

8x365days that's almost 3'000 cans per year or 125 carton boxes (24x cans each).

We are talking serious quantities here! And serious $$$!

MT
Relative to other potential habits, it's not that expensive. If you stock up when 12-packs of cans are $3 or less or when 2-liter bottles are $0.99 or less (I've seen as low as $0.68 at CVS recently), or you buy $0.99 64-ounce fountain sodas at gas stations/convenience stores, it's not a very high-cost habit. Compared to, say, a few beers a day, a Starbucks latte, etc.
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB
chaz

Post by chaz »

Congrats Munchkin Man - live healthy.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
92irish

Post by 92irish »

I've been trying to cut back on soda, too (sugar and diet). I've been trying the zero calorie Sobe lifewater and Vitamin Water zero. They apparently have no artifical sweetner (aspartame, saccarine, etc.), but they are slightly sweet. I don't how they do it. Anybody have any thoughts about these relative to diet soda?
eas

Post by eas »

Cognitive Miser wrote:I never drank the amounts that some of you have but I stopped drinking it altogether a few years ago.

In animal studies aspartame converts for formaldehyde in the body and accumulates in the tissues causing malignant tumors, lymphomas, and carcinomas (this is not surprising when you consider that formaldehyde is a known carcinogen).

What's worse is that this occurs even at dosages that are considerably smaller that what we've been told is safe.

If you absolutely must continue I'd suggest switching to Coke Zero (sweetened with Splenda) over Diet Coke (sweetened with aspartame).
Not only is there aspartame in coke zero, there is diet coke that is sweetened with splenda as well.
92irish wrote:I've been trying to cut back on soda, too (sugar and diet). I've been trying the zero calorie Sobe lifewater and Vitamin Water zero. They apparently have no artifical sweetner (aspartame, saccarine, etc.), but they are slightly sweet. I don't how they do it. Anybody have any thoughts about these relative to diet soda?
They use a stevia based sweetener, along with fructose and other natural sweeteners. Check out the ingredients list at http://productnutrition.thecoca-colacom ... ngredients
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

texas_archer wrote:I stopped drinking soda's a year ago and have lost 158 lbs since (diet and exercise helped of course). I carry a Nalgene bottle with me everywhere and use a product called Tru Lemon when I want to add flavor. Its all natural and only has 5 calories.
Wow, great job.
muddyglass

Post by muddyglass »

hello munchkin man,

congratulations on quitting diet coke! the munchkin man is on the right path to good health! muddy glass wishes the munchkin man continued success in his endeavors.

the munchkin man mentioned that his tap water is nasty. the munchkin man also mentioned the relatively high cost of bottled water. the munchkin man should consider buying a water filter system.

there are different types of water filter systems. some attach to the faucet. muddy glass does not like those water filter systems. muddy glass likes his water cold! another type of water filter system can fit inside the refrigerator. muddy glass likes those water filter systems.

muddy glass owns the pur ds-1800z water dispenser. the tap water is poured into the top compartment. the tap water goes through a water filter and is stored in the bottom compartment. the entire contraption sits in muddy glass' refrigerator. muddy glass now enjoys cold filtered water any time he likes.

muddy glass uses a stainless steel thermos bottle to carry cold filtered water around with him every day. the cold filtered water remains cold hours later. muddy glass likes that. muddy glass highly recommends that the munchkin man looks into buying such a bottle if the munchkin man doesn't already own one.

regards,
muddy glass
deerhunter

Post by deerhunter »

My Doctor told me that the worst thing for health that a person can drink is soda pop, especially diet type. He said coffee and even beer is much better for you. Of course one or two a week would be okay but those who drink them all day long are asking for health problems. I never touch the stuff, not because of possible bad health but I just never liked it.
Living off the land is a family tradition.
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

Munchkin Man have you considered a alternative to Diet Coke? Have you ever tried or heard of Zevia? Made without Nutrasweet, I have friends that drink instead of regular diet soda.
http://www.zevia.com/products_cola.html
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

great weight loss texas_archer.

I have a patient who drank 24 diet pepsis per day. talk about anxiety.
Martello Shores

Post by Martello Shores »

This summer, I'm trying to keep fridge stocked with a couple of glass pitchers of homemade beverages, to be served over ice:

cold-brewed teas (brew in pitcher 4h or overnight or more in fridge using a large metal mesh tea ball from Asian grocery--EEZY!), e.g.,
black tea sweetened with 1 t per glass of raspberry syrup from European grocery;
green tea a friend brings me from Hong Kong (refreshing, no sweetener needed);
peppermint tea, esp good for eves when no caffeine needed (no sweetener).

lemonade: 1 c fresh-squeezed juice + 3/4-1 c sugar dissolved in 1 c water in microwave + ~4 c water, chilled. We've tried Splenda in place of sugar--no microwave needed--but doesn't taste as good, IMO.

limeade

iced coffee: a pot of full-strength, hot-brewed Starbuck's decaf, chilled, poured over ice in glass to about half-full, sweetened, topped off with calcium-enriched skim milk.

All good! Cold-brewed tea is especially easy to make.
atwood

Post by atwood »

I'm addicted to Munchkin Man threads. I read each and every one of them, post by post. They are great for my mental health.

I've always preferred iced tea to soda. My mother used to brew it up on Saturdays for after we finished working in the yard. Plus you can almost always get free refills.

But there is something about an ice cold Coca-Cola, Coke Zero in my case. I limit my intake due to financial (water is a lot cheaper) and health concerns. But when I consume a Coke, I drink it just for the taste of it and because it adds life. It's the real thing. You can't beat the feeling of having a Coke and a smile.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

Is it only me who dislikes the after taste of Splenda? Any product with Splenda tastes really vile to me afterwards, as a result, I avoid those drinks. Diet Coke is the best tasting to me out of all the sodas that are in that category, I can see why the Munchkin Man has this addiction.

I like to make my own non-diet reduced sweetness soda, seltzer water mixed with a regular soda. It doesn't taste amazing but it's not as sweet as regular cola.
exigent

Post by exigent »

Greetings Bogleheads:

exigent things that everyone should start posting in the third person, just like the Munchkin Man.

exigent thinks this because he is mildly amused by many of the Munchkin Man's posts.

The only problem is that exigent doesn't have the time or energy to write the hugely long posts that typically accompany this style, so he will probably go back to his original posting style.

Best Wishes,

exigent
Snowjob

Post by Snowjob »

Congrats on giving up soda.

I would get rid of the bottled water too if possible. Why not just get a filter installed or buy a britta and change it serveral times a year? Should save you a lot of money and help out the environment by reducing all the plastic bottles.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

exigent wrote:Greetings Bogleheads:

exigent things that everyone should start posting in the third person, just like the Munchkin Man.

exigent thinks this because he is mildly amused by many of the Munchkin Man's posts.

The only problem is that exigent doesn't have the time or energy to write the hugely long posts that typically accompany this style, so he will probably go back to his original posting style.

Best Wishes,

exigent
Edit: Got rid of my insulting post.

But stop this. It's not cute.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I remember watching a Dateline or sumsuch show about bottled water. The TV crew setup a restaurant and offered multiple "high end" bottled water for people to have with their meal. After they ordered the water, the waitress went out back to the alley and filled the premium water bottle from a garden hose, then served the water to the diners. They then asked the patrons about the water, and the patrons raved about how good the water was compared to tap water and other "low quality" bottled water.

I also saw a similar show where the diners were fed KFC or Taco Bell in a
"nice" restaurant, and again the diners praised the food compared to "cheap, poor quality fast food"
So just get a reusable bottle Munchkin Man, and save all that money you would spend on bottled water.
Mike
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I live on the edge. I drink about 5 cans of coke/pepsi a week, and even have an adult beverage once a month or so (probably should crank it up on the red wine). Mostly, I drink water and milk.

Never liked the taste of that diet stuff (although diet root beer is okay) - I believe my taste buds find great delight interacting with those sugar molecules from time to time.

RM
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Munchkin Man wrote:In any event, the Munchkin Man has now made it six (6) days in a row without drinking a Diet Coke or any other type of carbonated beverage.

The Munchkin Man is still craving a Diet Coke when the Munchkin Man wakes up in the morning.
You could try to look at that craving as a positive sign: it's telling you that you were addicted to the stuff and that you're doing the right thing by resolving to not to give in. Good luck! :D
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Munchkin Man wrote:
harrychan wrote:Good luck MunchkinMan. I have a reverse osmosis system at the house so my water tastes very good. When I do have the urge to drink something of taste, I have a pitcher of barley tea that is chilled in the fridge. Barley tea is very healthy like green tea without the caffeine. I also have a large cup of coffee in the morning which I cannot go without. I may come to a realization similar to yours soon.
Greetings harrychan:

Thank you very much for your well wishes and for your suggestion of barley tea.

Barley tea is something the Munchkin Man has never considered.

The Munchkin Man also likes the idea that you drink it chilled from your refrigerator.

The Munchkin Man has always preferred chilled beverages to hot beverages.

The Munchkin Man is going to check this out some sources of barley tea.

Thanks again!

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
MM,

Please try it and let me know how it goes!
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

There was a segment on Doctor Oz's show last week on soda addiction. There was a woman on the show who drank 12-13 soda's a day. I assume that it was a rerun of a prior show (couldn’t find the video link). However, I was able to find Dr Oz's 28 Day Challenge: Soda

P.S. I never really had much of a soda addiction. What little I did have I kicked a long time ago (September of 1967).

Mike
caklim00

Post by caklim00 »

I used to drink a 2 Liter of Diet Soda (usually un-caffeineated Diet Root Beer) every day. My wife said after a particularly hard day at work back when we were dating it was very comforting to come over to my appartment and see me engaging in this "routine."

After we got married, my wife bought a Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker. She maybe used it a few times but I continued drinking my 2 Liters. A year later I made a batch of tea, enjoyed it. Made another and another. The I tried decaf black and green tea. I realized I really like Iced Tea. I then read up about the antioxidants found in tea. I ended up stoping my soda habit cold turkey and replacing it with tea. I brew up 1-2 batches a day depending if I'm at home or in the office. I've probably used the thing 1000 times now and it still works.

Do I feel any better? Not sure if it did anything, but then again I'm getting less sleep due to having 2 little ones when I didn't have any kids when I was drinking the soda.

So, I would recommend that the Munchkin Man invest in a $20 Iced Tea Maker. And, buy decaf iced tea bags if the Munchkin Man is fearful of the caffeine monster.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Munchkin Man wrote: The Munchkin Man had the Munchkin Man's last Diet Coke on the afternoon of last Friday, August 5th.
One month in & curious how it is going?

Your thread inspired me to eat more vegetables, even ones I do not like. Trying to acquire a taste for them is not easy, much like quitting diet coke.
NERD777

Post by NERD777 »

Congrats Munchkin Man! I also have a bit of an addiction, except mine is more like 2-3 cups of coffee and 1-2 diet sodas. It's funny though, in the morning it is ALL about the caffeine. I need to to get me out of the fog. I normally use coffee for this. But the diet soda is a night time thing. I typically eat very healthy, meats, fruits, veggies, very little bread/starches. And at night I seem to have this insatiable craving. Diet soda does the trick even caffeine free. Something with the carbonation, taste, whatever. Hopefully someday I will muster up the strength like you to quit. Congrats again and stay strong!
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

NERD777 wrote:It's funny though, in the morning it is ALL about the caffeine. I need to to get me out of the fog. I normally use coffee for this.
It's a vicious cycle because the caffeine is what's causing the fog. When you become addicted to caffeine, which you most likely are, it causes you to have withdrawals when you go long periods without it. Sleeping for eight hours or whatever is a long period, so you wake up in an instant withdrawal. That's the "fog" to which you refer. It's the same for alcohol and nicotine. Withdrawal from those substances causes their symptoms, so then consuming more helps it, but all it does it end the withdrawal.

Vicious cycle! Fortunately caffeine addiction is very easy to overcome. Just cut your regular caffeine consumption in half for 3-4 days. Then try to go without. You may get very severe headaches, sweats, etc. and when you do, immediately consume a small amount. I had this and I woke up at 3 a.m. with the worst headache of my life. I went and got a Diet Pepsi and chugged half. I'm not exaggerating when I say that within 10 seconds I had no headache at all. It's incredible. I went through this for a few days, doing this 3-4 times a day. Then it got down to 1-2 times a day, just morning and night. Eventually I didn't get any headaches and I didn't need any caffeine.

Now I drink maybe one Diet Pepsi a week, usually on the weekends with a nice fattening greasy meal.
tnhooper45

Post by tnhooper45 »

Good luck Munchkin Man. F Diet Coke. Happy Labor Day!
NERD777

Post by NERD777 »

It's a vicious cycle because the caffeine is what's causing the fog. When you become addicted to caffeine, which you most likely are, it causes you to have withdrawals when you go long periods without it. Sleeping for eight hours or whatever is a long period, so you wake up in an instant withdrawal. That's the "fog" to which you refer. It's the same for alcohol and nicotine. Withdrawal from those substances causes their symptoms, so then consuming more helps it, but all it does it end the withdrawal.

Vicious cycle! Fortunately caffeine addiction is very easy to overcome. Just cut your regular caffeine consumption in half for 3-4 days. Then try to go without. You may get very severe headaches, sweats, etc. and when you do, immediately consume a small amount. I had this and I woke up at 3 a.m. with the worst headache of my life. I went and got a Diet Pepsi and chugged half. I'm not exaggerating when I say that within 10 seconds I had no headache at all. It's incredible. I went through this for a few days, doing this 3-4 times a day. Then it got down to 1-2 times a day, just morning and night. Eventually I didn't get any headaches and I didn't need any caffeine.

Now I drink maybe one Diet Pepsi a week, usually on the weekends with a nice fattening greasy meal.
Oh I know it's the caffeine in the morning. Like many drugs, the biggest trouble with caffeine is the the half life (roughly 9 hours for caffeine in healthy adults) is far longer than the effects last (at least for me anyway). I have no intentions of quitting just yet, I don't think the 2-3 three cups of coffee is a huge problem for me. I do however get headaches if I go a full day without, so maybe I should smarten up and quit. I was merely contrasting the effect of caffeine and my cravings for diet soda, even the caffeine free variety. It seems there is something else at play at night when I crave a syrupy, carbonated, full of chemicals beverage. Or maybe I'm just nuts :)
ebotrd

Munchkin Man -- R U stil there?

Post by ebotrd »

Still off the diet cokes?
I'd love to hear what items you ended up getting for your carbonated water setup.
Thanks!
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:
Of shoes - and ships - and sealing-wax - Of cabbages - and kings
And why the sea is boiling hot - And whether pigs have wings."
magicmom

Post by magicmom »

Way to go Munchkin Man! You can get decaf green tea. Have you tried the Brita pitcher or a filter on your faucet? Way cheaper than bottled water.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Munchkin Man wrote:
Greetings texas_archer:

Wow!

Losing 158 pounds during the course of a year is quite an accomplishment.

Congratulations!

The Munchkin Man has some serious weight to lose as well.

So far the Munchkin Man has lost 15 pounds since the Munchkin Man started the Munchkin Man's new and healtheir diet.

Many thanks also for your suggestion of the Tru Lemon product you suggested.

The Munchkin Man has just found and bookmarked their website.

The Munchkin Man has been looking for some healthy alternatives to plain water, which can become a bit monotonous after a while, if the Munchkin Man drinks nothing else.

Thanks again!

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Hi Munchy.

After your uranium penny stock adventure you may try Alka Seltzer water?

Just kitting :wink:
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer »

Here's an excerpt from a brief bio about Warren Buffett (http://www.nndb.com/people/445/000022379/) :
"Buffett is believed to be the second or third wealthiest man in the world, and still lives in the house he bought for $31,000 in 1958. He drinks 12-15 cans of Coke daily."

Perhaps we should all drink more Coke...
magicmom

Post by magicmom »

Ozonewanderer wrote:Here's an excerpt from a brief bio about Warren Buffett (http://www.nndb.com/people/445/000022379/) :
"Buffett is believed to be the second or third wealthiest man in the world, and still lives in the house he bought for $31,000 in 1958. He drinks 12-15 cans of Coke daily."

Perhaps we should all drink more Coke...
I don't think so.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Munchkin Man gives up diet cokes and then disappears from bogleheads?

A bit of a mystery....
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I was hoping the MunchkinMan threads would be locked under the latest guidelines for the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Mister Whale

Post by Mister Whale »

I miss you, Munchkin Man. Here's hoping that you're doing well.
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius
norookie

Post by norookie »

:twisted: Coke kills! JMO
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c