Best site for finding cheap hotel rooms?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
texasdiver

Best site for finding cheap hotel rooms?

Post by texasdiver »

What is the best internet site for finding cheap hotel rooms? I'm thinking about taking my wife up to Dallas or Fort Worth for the weekend without the kids as we happen to have free babysitting all next weekend. When I travel it's usually on business and I've never done the discount hotel web site thing before. Do you guys use hotwired or is there some better site? I don't care which specific hotel, just want a good deal on a nice one.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Motel 6.
Gordon
norookie

Post by norookie »

:D Tripadvisor <shrug>
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

Check out betterbidding.com for priceline.com and hotwire.com tips. I've gotten some killer deals using that forum.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Usually, I use hotels.com to get a good list, and if the best hotel belongs to a chain, I then go to the chain's site to see whether I can get a better deal (for example, choicehotels.com for a Comfort Inn). I often wind up actually buying on hotels.com because of a better frequent-stay deal there; one free night equal in value to the average of your last 10 nights is worth about $10 a night for hotels at $110, while 500 frequent-flyer miles from a hotel plan is worth just $5.

I often do the same thing with airlines, going to farecast.com or kayak.com to get a list, and then going to the airline's own site to book. However, with airlines, I usually have to check all the airline sites anyway because I may be able to get frequent-flyer tickets on any of three different airlines.
Wiki David Grabiner
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

marstaton4 wrote:Check out betterbidding.com for priceline.com and hotwire.com tips. I've gotten some killer deals using that forum.
I have not used that forum but I definitely like to use Priceline and Hotwire. If you are picky and have to know the name of the hotel before hand these sites may not be for you though. There are ways to narrow down the possibilities on those sites however.
realitytruthprozac

Post by realitytruthprozac »

I've used hotwire.com with success
Hondo

Post by Hondo »

TN_INVEST

Post by TN_INVEST »

I too like the coupon book websites.

Roomsaver.com
hotelcoupons.com
Wolkenspiel

Re: Best site for finding cheap hotel rooms?

Post by Wolkenspiel »

texasdiver wrote:What is the best internet site for finding cheap hotel rooms? I'm thinking about taking my wife up to Dallas or Fort Worth for the weekend without the kids as we happen to have free babysitting all next weekend. When I travel it's usually on business and I've never done the discount hotel web site thing before. Do you guys use hotwired or is there some better site? I don't care which specific hotel, just want a good deal on a nice one.
In popular destinations, I have occasionally found that the really "good deals" were cheap for a reason. I found tripadvisor very useful on many occasions. Their highly ranked hotels may not be the best deals around, but are unlikely to be total dumps. I would not book a hotel by star-rating/location without reading reviews.
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

jeff1949 wrote:
marstaton4 wrote:Check out betterbidding.com for priceline.com and hotwire.com tips. I've gotten some killer deals using that forum.
I have not used that forum but I definitely like to use Priceline and Hotwire. If you are picky and have to know the name of the hotel before hand these sites may not be for you though. There are ways to narrow down the possibilities on those sites however.
I really can't believe the deals I'm consistently able to get with priceline. I stayed at the Hilton on Michigan Ave in Chicago for 75 a night when the normal rate was $230ish. I stay at a Marriott in Columbia, SC for $48 a night regularly. I really do get fantastic hotels for between 40-70% off the normal rates. I really despise sites like hotels.com because they give you almost all of the downside and not much of an upside. If you book directly at the hotel at least you can often times cancel or at least get the points. But if you book through any 3rd party site the hotel will always say they can't do anything to adjust your reservation.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Given how long Priceline has been around, it's remarkable how many people still don't use it.

Paying $50 for a $200 room, when the only downside is not knowing whether you'll get a Hyatt or a Marriott -- who could really have a problem with that? And why are people satisfied (even smugly so at times) with paying $100 for that room on a discount site? (Hey it's 50% off!)

Granted, you've got to be a little careful about choosing desired neighborhoods and star levels, and that depending on demand you might not get 75% off, but it still seems to be the best deal going.

I've used Priceline for years now on every personal trip to a major city -- invariably I'm very pleased with my experience.
Harold

Post by Harold »

marstaton4 wrote:I really can't believe the deals I'm consistently able to get with priceline. I stayed at the Hilton on Michigan Ave in Chicago for 75 a night when the normal rate was $230ish.
I stayed at the Palmer House Hilton in the loop for like $55 through Priceline. The listed rate this morning is from $239.
imagardener

Post by imagardener »

I've used biddingfortravel.com for several years. People post their winning Priceline bids so I can bid with improved knowledge of what lowest bid is likely to be successful.

This works best with larger hotels who have many rooms to fill and usually in larger cities. We've stayed in many 4 star hotels for $50-70 you just need to watch out for pricey parking if you're driving in and figure that into your total cost (along with taxes of course).

Dallas is the ideal location to use this. It takes a little guts to make your first bid hoping you're doing it right but after one or two times it's a thrill. The hotel front desk never treats me like a cheapskate even though they can see it's a Priceline reservation but then we never dress like slobs either.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

If you no some one who works for big hotel chain they can get you friend and family rate.I stay at Hampton inns for $29(includes breakfast)
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

Harold wrote: I stayed at the Palmer House Hilton in the loop for like $55 through Priceline. The listed rate this morning is from $239.
I will be staying at The Palmer House Sept. 8th through the 12th and got a rate of $149 per night but that was a group rate requiring a promotion code. A price of $55 would be almost unbelievable for that hotel........nice going!
Topic Author
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Thanks guys

My business travel in the past has usually been to meetings and the like that are held in hotels for which I got a group rate that my agency was paying rather than me. So there was never a reason to use these sites. But now that I don't really care about which specific hotel or location something like priceline seems ideal. I'm going to give it a try. The betterbidding.com site referenced above is excellent because can go to the individual state and city forums to find out what others have successfully bid and what hotels they got.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Neighbor has used kayak.com with good results. It claims to compare the results of multiple travel price-search websites at once.
benh

Post by benh »

tripadvisor.com
Sylvester the Investor

International

Post by Sylvester the Investor »

Hotwire is fantastic but not so good for international travel.

Use kayak.com and it will search many different sites for you.

eg it searches Agoda.com which is the cheap south east asia website.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Hotels.com has a nice little award - 10 nights = one night equivalent price free - used to be 10 nights anywhere = one free night anywhere - I got a couple $500 rooms from 20 Vegas (tradeshow) rooms @ $50/night - they figured out that wasn't such a good idea though - still now, after 10 nites you can apply the avaerage $$ to the next room so it's a 10% discount. They also let you cancel most reservations (with plain, well stated rules) 24 hours before - have good reviews and good prices. You do pre-pay though.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

I find the best deals using Priceline.
magellan

Post by magellan »

texasdiver wrote:But now that I don't really care about which specific hotel or location something like priceline seems ideal. I'm going to give it a try. The betterbidding.com site referenced above is excellent because can go to the individual state and city forums to find out what others have successfully bid and what hotels they got.
I've used bidding sites a bunch of times and I agree with others that they're generally the best way to get the cheapest price for a hotel room with a given star rating.

However, there are a couple of drawbacks:
1) Bidding site customers get the crappiest rooms in the hotel. Sometimes it's a room across from the elevator, next to the ice-maker, an unrenovated room, or an accessible room on the first floor right next to the breakfast room/lobby - I've had each of these at least once. If there's a room at the hotel with a toilet that runs, a shower that doesn't work right, or some other problem, you can be sure you'll end up there. Sometimes you can ask for a different room and sometimes they won't move you.

2) You often get in a hotel that charges extra for Internet and/or parking and can't know if you'll get breakfast. So you win a $70 bid, but it costs $100 with extras (+$10 for Internet +$10 for parking, +$10 for 2 breakfasts on your own). This makes it hard to compare value versus available fixed price offers with known hotels.

When I make a bid I mentally add in the worst-case extra charges. On a recent trip with DW, I lowered my bid by $20 because we both had laptops and wanted Internet. We ended up in a nice room at a Hilton and sure enough, paid 2 x $9.95 for Wifi. Not a problem if you expect it, and overall it was a great stay at a great price.

Jim
Harold

Post by Harold »

magellan wrote:
texasdiver wrote:But now that I don't really care about which specific hotel or location something like priceline seems ideal. I'm going to give it a try. The betterbidding.com site referenced above is excellent because can go to the individual state and city forums to find out what others have successfully bid and what hotels they got.
I've used bidding sites a bunch of times and I agree with others that they're generally the best way to get the cheapest price for a hotel room with a given star rating.

However, there are a couple of drawbacks:
1) Bidding site customers get the crappiest rooms in the hotel. Sometimes it's a room across from the elevator, next to the ice-maker, an unrenovated room, or an accessible room on the first floor right next to the breakfast room/lobby - I've had each of these at least once. Sometimes you can ask for a different room and sometimes they won't move you.

2) You often get in a hotel that charges extra for Internet and/or parking and can't know if you'll get breakfast. So you win a $70 bid, but it costs $100 with extras (+$10 for Internet +$10 for parking, +$10 for 2 breakfasts on your own). This makes it hard to compare value versus available fixed price offers with known hotels.

Jim
I've virtually never (i.e. maybe twice out of hundreds) had a problem with #1. Though I don't think I'm generally given bad rooms, I actually often use my hotel upgrade card for whatever chain the winning hotel is to get a better room -- their response is always along the lines of "we can't give you the points, but there is a nice room with a good view". Unrelated to the room, but a Priceline consequence is that slightly more often, but still not frequently, I get a hint of condescension from the desk person.

#2 is legit. It wouldn't have occurred to me to pay for internet/parking (i.e. I don't use those).

And I've got a #3, which is something I always watch out for: if you get a resort property, you're at the mercy of their "resort fee" -- could easily get a $30/night fee added. Probably not an issue in Dallas (I got burned in Hilton Head), but read the rules carefully when choosing a star level and bidding.
CoastieLifer

Post by CoastieLifer »

I just booked a 2 bedroom condo for a week in Vegas for $370 using http://www.afvclub.com/military-search-spacea.html . If you qualify and going to spend a week or more, check it out. Its equates to about $50 a day. Some of the places actually have full kitchens or 1 to 2 bedrooms where you can save by cooking your own food.
CL^
2sls

Post by 2sls »

Learn to use priceline, they really do have the best prices, but obviously you give up some flexibility.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

For big cities with (generally speaking) more excess capacity, priceline is nice. But I do use tripadvisor quite a bit - I've been satisfied using that site.

RM
morgandaniel20

Post by morgandaniel20 »

I book my ticket on tripadvisor. The best part about tripadvisor is that it gives review of almost all kinds of hotel, every region is available and you can get the most affordable hotel even 2 days before the date of check in.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

Priceline is great if you don't care which hotel you are staying in.

However, if you do - use TripAdvisor's reviews to help you pick the one you want and then in the US use http://www.hotelscombined.com. I've found it to have lower prices than Kayak and TripAdvisor (they are all metasearch engines - but HC seems to search more websites, which results in a lower price).

For international, the best site is a website called http://www.trivago.co.uk. It's a metasearch engine (like Kayak).

Shameless plug - I wrote a little blog article about getting the lowest European hotels here: http://www.dealgrove.com/2011/08/lowest ... pe-part-i/
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

www.airbnb.com

or for the total Boglehead approach, why not go with www.couchsurfing.com?
rwwoods

Post by rwwoods »

We use the AAA book and/or website to find a hotel that we would like in an area we would like, but often find that chain hotels offer lower "internet only" rates on their web sites.
"I'm not so much concerned about the return on my money as the return of my money" - Will Rogers
soaring

Post by soaring »

At least check BestWestern rates (we usually pay $65-75). That is where we have been staying for about 10 yrs when Choice & la Quinta started raising their prices. Generally BW is about $20-25 less than those.

We got stuck in a Motel6 about 6-7 yrs ago while driving across the U.S. and would never stay there again for the $10-$25 more at BestWestern with breakfast there is no comparison.
Desiderata
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

soaring wrote:At least check BestWestern rates (we usually pay $65-75). That is where we have been staying for about 10 yrs when Choice & la Quinta started raising their prices. Generally BW is about $20-25 less than those.

We got stuck in a Motel6 about 6-7 yrs ago while driving across the U.S. and would never stay there again for the $10-$25 more at BestWestern with breakfast there is no comparison.
Second the Best Western suggestion for middle class travelers. Clean, comfortable, hot breakfast, indoor pool & jacuzzi (mostly) - all these for a reasonable/competitive rate. Just came back from a trip in the Four Corners area. Only at one location we did not stay in Best Western, and did not like the cheaper hotel.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

I just tried hotelscombined.com to find a hotel in Athens, TX and compared it to the hotel's online booking process. Both rates were identical. So, what's the big deal about using these so called "best deal" sites? Holiday Inn Express in Athens was $104.99 vs several sites shown by Hotelscombined.com as $105.00. Where is the deal?

Am I missing something?
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

aja8888 wrote:I just tried hotelscombined.com to find a hotel in Athens, TX and compared it to the hotel's online booking process. Both rates were identical. So, what's the big deal about using these so called "best deal" sites?
1. You see/compare prices of many hotels on 1 site - beats having to visit multiple hotel sites
2. The site may offer special deals like get 1 night free after booking 8 nights through hotels.com
3. The site may negotiate lower rates from the hotel in exchange for a upfront block booking, something the hotel won't publish on their website for general bookings.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Topic Author
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Well as the OP I thought I'd report back.

I tried out the priceline bidding system and wasn't able to land a hotel in downtown Fort Worth for a reasonable price so popped over to Dallas and landed the 4-star Westin Park Cities for $45. According to trip adviser it isn't the greatest hotel in the area but still, you can't quibble with getting a centrally located 4-star hotel at Motel 6 prices. We're just getting away from the kids for the weekend so we didn't really care where we went.

Anyone wanting to try out priceline should definitely read through the betterbidding.com forums, especially the state specific forums where people report back their winning bids. It really gives you an idea of what bids are getting accepted for each class of hotel in each city so you know how low to make your bids and still have a chance of winning.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

I tried priceline for a 3.5 + star in East Village NYC for an upcoming trip and was most unimpressed - hotels.com was cheaper if you consider the 10% "rebate". This was one week in advance - does priceline work better if it's next day?
BertB

Post by BertB »

Dunno what the situation is now, but I stopped using Priceline a while ago because they could not guarantee me a smoke-free reservation.
Redbelly

Post by Redbelly »

I've had great luck with bidding on Priceline. If you just use them to book, the deals are not that great.

DW and I frequently overnight near PDX for early / late flights and I used to rent a $50 a night motel, so I was delighted to find I could get a 3 or 3 1/2 star hotel for the same price on Priceline.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Redbelly wrote:I've had great luck with bidding on Priceline. If you just use them to book, the deals are not that great.

DW and I frequently overnight near PDX for early / late flights and I used to rent a $50 a night motel, so I was delighted to find I could get a 3 or 3 1/2 star hotel for the same price on Priceline.
When I tried NYC I was bidding and got rejected at the 90% hotels.com special rate - I think if places are close to capacity ... no deals - if they are half empty - priceline bidding works.
Harold

Post by Harold »

BertB wrote:Dunno what the situation is now, but I stopped using Priceline a while ago because they could not guarantee me a smoke-free reservation.
No doubt you're correct; however, I've stayed at Priceline hotels hundreds of times -- and have never had a smoker's room (and believe me, I can tell). I'm curious if you actually got a smoker's room, and the hotel refused to change it.
Harold

Post by Harold »

hicabob wrote:
Redbelly wrote:I've had great luck with bidding on Priceline. If you just use them to book, the deals are not that great.

When I tried NYC I was bidding and got rejected at the 90% hotels.com special rate - I think if places are close to capacity ... no deals - if they are half empty - priceline bidding works.
biddingfortravel or similar sites have studied and explained the algorithm -- I know I've seen some specifics from time to time.

Even NYC has deals (though probably not on the order of $45). I got the famous Algonquin once (a fabulous experience) for less than half their normal rate.
MekongTrader

Post by MekongTrader »

aja8888 wrote:I just tried hotelscombined.com to find a hotel in Athens, TX and compared it to the hotel's online booking process. Both rates were identical. So, what's the big deal about using these so called "best deal" sites? Holiday Inn Express in Athens was $104.99 vs several sites shown by Hotelscombined.com as $105.00. Where is the deal?

Am I missing something?
Good point.

Here is some industry insight (more from SE Asia but US should be the same):

The OTA (online travel agent) claims that they give the booker 'best price guarantee' which means that if the booker sees $100 for a room at website XYZ it is supposed to be the best rate on the internet.

The OTA demands from the hotel rate parity at all times. They regularly check that the rate given to them by the hotel is the same compared to all other OTAs. If they find out that the hotel give a better rate to another OTA, they will ask for the same rate and issue a 'warning' the the hotel.

Rate parity only applies to rates offered on other OTA sites. Hotel's own website is different and the rate the hotel gives out directly as well.

I strongly recommend to always check with the hotel directly. Their reservations department may shave off $10 or so from the rate. Ask them!

Depending on OTAs hotels have to pay from 10% to 20% in commissions. That's huge and hotels always prefer direct business!

Hotels generate more and more business with OTAs. They've kind of outsourced Sales to the internet.

I always book hotels the old-fashioned way. Contact them directly.

My 2 cents

MT
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

MekongTrader wrote:
aja8888 wrote:I just tried hotelscombined.com to find a hotel in Athens, TX and compared it to the hotel's online booking process. Both rates were identical. So, what's the big deal about using these so called "best deal" sites? Holiday Inn Express in Athens was $104.99 vs several sites shown by Hotelscombined.com as $105.00. Where is the deal?

Am I missing something?
Good point.

The OTA (online travel agent) claims that they give the booker 'best price guarantee' which means that if the booker sees $100 for a room at website XYZ it is supposed to be the best rate on the internet.

The OTA demands from the hotel rate parity at all times. They regularly check that the rate given to them by the hotel is the same compared to all other OTAs. If they find out that the hotel give a better rate to another OTA, they will ask for the same rate and issue a 'warning' the the hotel.

Rate parity only applies to rates offered on other OTA sites. Hotel's own website is different and the rate the hotel gives out directly as well.

I strongly recommend to always check with the hotel directly. Their reservations department may shave off $10 or so from the rate. Ask them!

Depending on OTAs hotels have to pay from 10% to 20% in commissions. That's huge and hotels always prefer direct business!

Hotels generate more and more business with OTAs. They've kind of outsourced Sales to the internet.

My 2 cents

MT
On calling directly....I used Orbitz a few years ago to book a room at a hotel in Orlando when I was to pass through that city. When I showed up at the hotel and checked in, the counter person asked me if the rate was through Orbitz and I responded "yes, how did you know?" She said "if I called them directly, they would have booked me the room for 10% less, which was their standard rate."

It's a strange game, for sure. :roll:
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

aja8888 wrote:
MekongTrader wrote:

Am I missing something?
Good point.

My 2 cents

MT
On calling directly....I used Orbitz a few years ago to book a room at a hotel in Orlando when I was to pass through that city. When I showed up at the hotel and checked in, the counter person asked me if the rate was through Orbitz and I responded "yes, how did you know?" She said "if I called them directly, they would have booked me the room for 10% less, which was their standard rate."

It's a strange game, for sure. :roll:
Very true - you will find many of the known hotel groups now offer a "lowest online price guarantee'' if you go direct.
hicabob

Don't bother with hotwire

Post by hicabob »

I just used them for East Village NYC - ended up getting a $10 discount on a 4-star $220/night hotel - hotels.com 10% credit would have more than paid for it - at least the blurb says it's gay/trans/bi friendly - not that it matters to me :?
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

try http://www.biddingtraveler.com/ shows winning bids and help you with priceline bidding .