Who has an Austrialian Cattle Dog?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
marco1910

Who has an Austrialian Cattle Dog?

Post by marco1910 »

Might be getting one soon. Interested in owners feedback. We are a pretty active couple. We had a Jack Russell Terrier for 15 years. Our research is pointing us to this breed. We will get a puppy or rescue..very interested in additional feedback

Thanks
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I've written two dog training books and I am the owner of DogProblems.com. I've had a lot of experience with the breed and I really like them.

It's a great breed, for the right kind of owner. They are very similar to the JRT, temperament-wise.

They can be very hard headed and stubborn. If you're looking for a more compliant dog, consider the Aussie or the Border Collie as an alternative.

I really like the breed, but be careful that you adopt one only after meeting BOTH parents and confirming they are very social and have good nerves. Many of the breed have a tendency to be skittish and have weak nerves. This is considered a fault. But it's quite common. Avoid adopting a dog with weak nerves.

[This will manifest itself by the dog becoming a fear biter. (Or having tendencies toward such). ]

IF you're adopting an adult or adolescent dog, before you adopt: make sure you take him to a public place, do the umbrella test, and take him around loud, public noises. You want a confident, calm dog. Any cowering or "shutting down" and I would recommend finding another specimen of the breed.

Also-- I hope you have a bike or like running. This is a high energy breed. But they are very hardy dogs.

Adam
rylemdr

Post by rylemdr »

I have a dog.

Sadly, he is not part cattle nor is he of Australian descent. :(
deerhunter

Post by deerhunter »

My daughter and son in law have an Aussie. It is very obedient, has never ever even threatened to bite and is perfectly house broke.

I do feel somewhat sorry for the dog because it spends a lot of time in the basement by itself as both it's owners work long hours. They are very active dogs and should be in a country environment or with owners that can spend a lot of time with them.

I have dog sat this dog for weeks at a time in our country home. This is perfect for her and no trouble for us. If we stayed at home and didn't travel so much I would probably keep her or get another one for us.
Living off the land is a family tradition.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

An Aussie... or an Australian Cattle dog? (You know they're different breeds, right?)
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

My sister got an Australian sheep herder dog, the breed that sometimes has 2 different colored eyes (hers does).

She likes the dog, she takes it on long 1 to 2 hour walks with her. She loves to run. Seems to be a nice dog.

Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
TimDex

australian cattle dog

Post by TimDex »

The cattle dogs I've seen (they're a favorite of the amish in our area) are very high energy outdoor working dogs. They need to be outdoors and they need a lot to do. Coop them up and they go nuts.

TW
"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. " -- Pascal
auntie

Post by auntie »

The only cattle dog I know is very insecure. He often slinks around hoping nobody will notice him. When he comes to my house he sometimes does that horrible submissive peeing until he's sure he's welcome. How welcome can a dog be when it's peeing all over my house? I've known a few others that seemed nice but I never got to know them well. They seem like good farm dogs, not so good city dogs. I have other breeds I like a lot better.

Australian shepherds and cattle dogs are very different. I think a lot of people here are replying about the shepherds, not the cattle dogs.
High risk does not equal high reward. It equals high risk of no reward.
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

Deerhunter,no dog should be confined to a cellar for long periods of time.Why do these people have a dog?
deerhunter

Post by deerhunter »

Deerhunter,no dog should be confined to a cellar for long periods of time.Why do these people have a dog?
They found her abandoned on their farm when she was a puppy. She is well kept, and does get out a lot on weekends and when they are home in the evening. Could have had a lot worse life.
deerhunter

Post by deerhunter »

Also it is not a cellar, it is a nice furnished basement, well heated and air conditioned. I could live down there myself.
deerhunter

Post by deerhunter »

Australian shepherds and cattle dogs are very different. I think a lot of people here are replying about the shepherds, not the cattle dogs.
My son in law's dog is for sure, an Australian Cattle Dog. The vets and any one that knows about dogs has said she is. Her name is Dolly, named after Dolly Pardon's song, coat of many colors which she has.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

We always refer to them as blue/red heelers. I've been around several. Awesome dogs if sufficiently exercised.
Topic Author
marco1910

Post by marco1910 »

pretty much every ACD owner I've spoken too said they are awesome dogs. We have a huge dog park 4 blocks away and a small park across the street. I think we can get the exercise part covered..Adam, thanks for the advice..I like the traits of "Confident and Calm"...btw..what is the Umbrella Test?

Thanks
Marco
Fear and Loathing

Post by Fear and Loathing »

DaleMaley wrote:My sister got an Australian sheep herder dog, the breed that sometimes has 2 different colored eyes (hers does).

She likes the dog, she takes it on long 1 to 2 hour walks with her. She loves to run. Seems to be a nice dog.

Border collie
Topic Author
marco1910

Post by marco1910 »

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Pardon the long link, but here are google images of Australian cattle dogs, just so we all know what breed we're talking about:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&h ... l124l0.1l1
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Max had one.
Uninvested

Post by Uninvested »

Please adopt a dog. It can be Australian or Norwegian. But please do not buy from a breeder. there are too many dogs and if nobody bought from breeders there would be fewer unwanted dogs.
RobG

Post by RobG »

Steelersfan wrote:Pardon the long link, but here are google images of Australian cattle dogs, just so we all know what breed we're talking about:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&h ... l124l0.1l1
ahhh, aka the heeler. I've known two: one that nipped your heels and one that didn't. Both were fun to be around in a rural environment.
CABob

Post by CABob »

I have a rescue dog that is mostly Australian Cattle Dog. She has been a great pet, but is now getting older and less active, poor hearing, not too sure about eyesight, etc.
Aren't these dogs also known as Queensland Healers?
Bob
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

CABob wrote:I have a rescue dog that is mostly Australian Cattle Dog. She has been a great pet, but is now getting older and less active, poor hearing, not too sure about eyesight, etc.
Aren't these dogs also known as Queensland Healers?
yes
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Are they also called Blue Heelers?
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
Topic Author
marco1910

Post by marco1910 »

yes...Blue, Red, Queensland
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Uninvested wrote:Please adopt a dog. It can be Australian or Norwegian. But please do not buy from a breeder. there are too many dogs and if nobody bought from breeders there would be fewer unwanted dogs.
Actually, if everyone who wasn't planning on breeding (most people) had their dogs neutered, there would hardly be any unwanted dogs.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

We had a Austrialian Kelpie that we bought from a breeder of working dogs.

We liked the dog within the family, but there were problems. She snapped at most strangers, mostly kids and dark haired people. But it was so random and vicious-seeming that we did not trust her close to any stranger. Also had some strange phobias, but that was not much of a problem. Prone to chasing cars.

I am not sure if it was the Dingo or the Border Collie part that led to this. I have seen it described as mix of these two.

The Austrailian Cattle Dog is not exactly the same breed, but I see Dingo in the mix.

I recall learning that cows are stubborn and need to be bit in the nose sometimes.

I have the impression that the problems with the Kelpie are being white-washed in an effort to sell them as house pets.

Again, I liked the dog's personality, but I would not go close to the breed again. We have a lab mix now. The lab tends to jump on people if it gets a chance, but it never scares the heck out of people like the Kelpie did.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

tadamsmar wrote:We had a Austrialian Kelpie that we bought from a breeder of working dogs.

We liked the dog within the family, but there were problems. She snapped at most strangers, mostly kids and dark haired people. But it was so random and vicious-seeming that we did not trust her close to any stranger. Also had some strange phobias, but that was not much of a problem. Prone to chasing cars.

I am not sure if it was the Dingo or the Border Collie part that led to this. I have seen it described as mix of these two.

The Austrailian Cattle Dog is not exactly the same breed, but I see Dingo in the mix.

I recall learning that cows are stubborn and need to be bit in the nose sometimes.

I have the impression that the problems with the Kelpie are being white-washed in an effort to sell them as house pets.

Again, I liked the dog's personality, but I would not go close to the breed again. We have a lab mix now. The lab tends to jump on people if it gets a chance, but it never scares the heck out of people like the Kelpie did.
I knew someone with a dingo mix - pretty dog but waaaaay too hyper and nervous - it's like mixing a dog with a coyote - might get a nice dog but probably not - for a non-working dog it's best to adopt a mutt anyways - better genetics and doing the right thing.
MooseDad

Post by MooseDad »

kb0fhp wrote:
DaleMaley wrote:My sister got an Australian sheep herder dog, the breed that sometimes has 2 different colored eyes (hers does).

Border collie
Are you saying that you think this is a border collie? It is not -- it's an Australian Shepherd (which did not originate in Australia, BTW).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Shepherd

The origin of the Australian Cattle Dog is also interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_cattle_dog

And they are both very different from Border Collies.
PS 5@50

Post by PS 5@50 »

Australian Cattle Dogs are great dogs for the right owners. They need exercise, stimulation and a strong master. If those three things are in place they are wonderful dogs.
Buy the haystack
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

There are a lot of these dogs - Australian Cattle Dog - here in Utah. Farm dogs mostly. One thing I find really uncanny is they seem to understand cars and traffic. Their brains seem to be wired differently from other dogs.

They also seem to never fall off the trucks they ride on (not in, on). They just balance up there on top of the tool box or on the back of a flat bed (no sides), or on top of a load of hay - on the freeway, everywhere. I hate seeing it, but they seem to do OK. Unfortunately, it is legal here.

One of my dogs apparently has some red heeler in him, but he's not typical of the breed so I can't comment on that part of the original poster's question.

It might be nice for you to have a few sheep or ducks or kids or something for the dog to herd around. The seem to be pretty nuts if they don't have some work to do.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

retiredjg wrote:There are a lot of these dogs - Australian Cattle Dog - here in Utah. Farm dogs mostly. One thing I find really uncanny is they seem to understand cars and traffic. Their brains seem to be wired differently from other dogs.

They also seem to never fall off the trucks they ride on (not in, on). They just balance up there on top of the tool box or on the back of a flat bed (no sides), or on top of a load of hay - on the freeway, everywhere. I hate seeing it, but they seem to do OK. Unfortunately, it is legal here.

One of my dogs apparently has some red heeler in him, but he's not typical of the breed so I can't comment on that part of the original poster's question.

It might be nice for you to have a few sheep or ducks or kids or something for the dog to herd around. The seem to be pretty nuts if they don't have some work to do.
They ride on trucks here in TX also...tool boxes and hay bales are common....you nailed it. I find it interesting b/c I have an athletic dog, but she can never keep her balance while standing in the car.
DiscoBunny1979

Post by DiscoBunny1979 »

retiredjg wrote:T

----

Well, that is NOT legal here and thank goodness or else the highway would be covered in dead dog carcasses from irresponsible dog owners.

-----------------

As far as the OP's situation . . . This type of breed requires a "Job" to do. Taking the animal to the dog park or other outdoor open space might not be good enough. They want to do what they were breed to do . . . which is help herd and farm. And as a prior post has indicated, the breed is quite territorial of family and posessions. So, make sure you want a dog that will protect his and your domain but also require a lot of exercise with the main focus his job responsibilities. Or else, you will have a bored dog that will have problems.