Boglehead Beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
psychoslowmatic

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by psychoslowmatic »

roymeo wrote:
psychoslowmatic wrote:Right now my personal favorite is Lagunitas' Little Sumpin Sumpin. A great West Coast IPA.
American Wheat. (Like Bell Oberon, or Three Floyds Gumball Head.)
Huh, according to beer advocate you're right. The hop aroma was so strong I just assumed it was an IPA. I'll keep an eye out for Sumpin' Wild. It's a little hard to find Lagunitas on the East Coast but the better beer stores have it.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

psychoslowmatic wrote:
roymeo wrote:
psychoslowmatic wrote:Right now my personal favorite is Lagunitas' Little Sumpin Sumpin. A great West Coast IPA.
Huh, according to beer advocate you're right. The hop aroma was so strong I just assumed it was an IPA. I'll keep an eye out for Sumpin' Wild. It's a little hard to find Lagunitas on the East Coast but the better beer stores have it.
Lil Sumpin Sumpin is definitely an IPA. BA is wrong if that's what they've listed.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

BruDude wrote:
psychoslowmatic wrote:
roymeo wrote:
Lil Sumpin Sumpin is definitely an IPA. BA is wrong if that's what they've listed.
Lagunitas calls it a filtered pale wheat ale.

http://lagunitas.com/beers/little-sumpin-sumpin/#
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

KyleAAA wrote:
BruDude wrote:
psychoslowmatic wrote:
roymeo wrote:
Lagunitas calls it a filtered pale wheat ale.

http://lagunitas.com/beers/little-sumpin-sumpin/#
That's fine, but it tastes nothing like a wheat beer and 100% like an IPA.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

My favorite is Simtra from Knee Deep Brewing http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23200/78377/
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
G12

Post by G12 »

BruDude wrote:That's fine, but it tastes nothing like a wheat beer and 100% like an IPA.
Love the Sumpin Sumpin, along with Lagunitas Pils, Censored, Hairy Eyeball and Brown Shugga'. Their brewpub in Petaluma is a lot of fun. At a limited cellar event last year a cask of Hairy Eyeball was available which was ridiculous along with Ass Kisser cask of aged Bourbon Barrel Stout. Had Russian River Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, and Defenestration, all were great + caught it at happy hour prices. RR's production and distribution is very limited so I would never have gotten to try those in ATL. Cigar City is making some excellent beer but rather limited availability here. I've had DFH 90 and like it, but we can't get anything over 12% for beer, so the 120 is a nonstarter locally. I used to like TenFidy a lot, especially when it was $10.49, now at $14.99 I just can't do it anymore, might as well buy Jefferson Reserve 15-yr small batch bourbon instead. I like a lot of Bell's beer and am going to try and make it there next week when traveling with the wife in Michigan.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Like a Keurig for beer? Yes please.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ad ... iking.html
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

I'm trying to cut down but I love a couple of our local micros, Dancing Trout and Maibock. I hate IPAs and can't see what the appeal is.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

caroljm36 wrote:I'm trying to cut down but I love a couple of our local micros, Dancing Trout and Maibock. I hate IPAs and can't see what the appeal is.
Off to the Madison in the morning and I will have to pick up some Dancing Trout in Bozeman. One of my favorite summer local micros is Avery Breweries'"White Rascal" a Belgium style wheat ale.
tj218

Post by tj218 »

Baxter (ME) Brewing's Stowaway IPA. Comes in cans.

Nice citrus note with no real resin after taste. I like it better than Union Jack and Laganitus (sp?) IPAs.
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

Blue moon summer Honey wheat is top notch.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Resin, by Sixpoint brewery, Brooklyn NY. It's in a can, but don't let that fool you. I like. It's also 9.1% ABV.

There must be something about beer from Brooklyn, as I've never been disappointed with anything from Brooklyn Brewery.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

I love to brew my own. My latest batch is "Flat Tire". A taste a like of Fat Tire. Cost to brew about .75 per bottle. :D
triggerfish10

Post by triggerfish10 »

I'm pretty sure that the brewmaster from Sixpoint has a degree from UW-Madison, so there is a Wisconsin connection there. I have found that a lot of their brews run a bit hoppy, but are very good overall. Sweet Action is a nice summer offering.
"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest" - Albert Einstein
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

Bridgeport IPA, just anything form Widmer brewing, and 10 Barrel Brewing
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

BruDude wrote: That's fine, but it tastes nothing like a wheat beer and 100% like an IPA.
Tastes like a hoppy wheat beer to me, and stylistically similar to Bell's Oberon and 3Floyds Gumball Head.

But I can see how the traditional yeast/hop profile of a hefe can get conflated with what 'wheat' means.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
WallyBird

Post by WallyBird »

Wow, what a thread. I'll add my voice to the chorus singing the praises of Yuengling. I look forward to it on (y)east coast trips. It's so good that I had no idea it was cheap, too.

Closer to home, I like LaCrosse Lager a lot. It's brewed in the old Heileman's brewery in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, and they hint that they brew it in the old style. :wink: It's up there with the best an American light lager can be: nice body, light color, enough malt to hold up the hops, enough hops to keep it crisp. I'd proudly pour it for German guests. Best of all, a 30 pack of cans goes for about $15 here in Chicago. Probably less in Wisconsin.

The revived Schlitz aims for a similar target with similar success, but it's not quite the steal that LaCrosse is.
"But let's be glad for what we've had, and what's to come." | -- Betty Comden & Adolph Green
psychoslowmatic

Post by psychoslowmatic »

triggerfish10 wrote:I'm pretty sure that the brewmaster from Sixpoint has a degree from UW-Madison, so there is a Wisconsin connection there. I have found that a lot of their brews run a bit hoppy, but are very good overall. Sweet Action is a nice summer offering.
+1. I also enjoy Crisp, their lager which is a great lighter summer beer, and Resin which is their IPA. I still find four-packs of tall skinny cans weird but I guess that's my problem to get over.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Beer is exciting maybe magical stuff.
I like cans not bottles...draft is preferred. I like Bud...but drink Bud Lite...but after cutting the grass, I want a Coors Lite.
The most memorable beer I ever had was a Samuel Adams draft before supper one night. But I haven't been able to duplicate that experience. Sometimes I want a Corona...sometimes a Newcastle. After coming out of the woods on a February backpack....Busch Lite is always waiting on ice...maybe it's on ice to keep it from freezing solid? The first time, I kind of wrinkled up my nose at it...but at that time and place, it is amazing. One beer is good. A second one is not.
I enjoyed this discussion and may have to try out some of your recommendations!
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

G12 wrote:
BruDude wrote:That's fine, but it tastes nothing like a wheat beer and 100% like an IPA.
Love the Sumpin Sumpin, along with Lagunitas Pils, Censored, Hairy Eyeball and Brown Shugga'. Their brewpub in Petaluma is a lot of fun. At a limited cellar event last year a cask of Hairy Eyeball was available which was ridiculous along with Ass Kisser cask of aged Bourbon Barrel Stout. Had Russian River Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, and Defenestration, all were great + caught it at happy hour prices. RR's production and distribution is very limited so I would never have gotten to try those in ATL. Cigar City is making some excellent beer but rather limited availability here. I've had DFH 90 and like it, but we can't get anything over 12% for beer, so the 120 is a nonstarter locally. I used to like TenFidy a lot, especially when it was $10.49, now at $14.99 I just can't do it anymore, might as well buy Jefferson Reserve 15-yr small batch bourbon instead. I like a lot of Bell's beer and am going to try and make it there next week when traveling with the wife in Michigan.
The whole area around Santa Rosa is great for beer (and wine). We, like you, did Lagunitas and Russian River. We loved it.

I've never been to Bell's, but spent a few winter weeks in Lansing. Even though it's an hour or two from Bell's, it was great getting Hopslam on tap wherever I went.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
avenger

Post by avenger »

Great thread. Love all of the IPA talk.

Personal favorite is Dogfish Head, 90 minute IPA.

cheers ... -Mark
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
Sbashore

Post by Sbashore »

Thetightfist wrote:What is a Boglehead beer? It should have good taste but it should be reasonable in cost, right?

What is the beer of choice for the Boglehead? Also, what is the beer of choice when splurging?

:lol:
My Boglehead beer is whatever I want regardless of cost (within reason). My Boglehead ways made this possible. :happy
Steve | Semper Fi
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Sbashore wrote:My Boglehead beer is whatever I want regardless of cost (within reason). My Boglehead ways made this possible. :happy
+1

Although I generally prefer wheat beers, my current favorites are St Bernardus abt 12 and Brother Thelonius.
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

Ah, this old thread. :sharebeer

I just had a Fat Tire from New Belgium and am now enjoying an Abita Beer Co. Seersucker Summer Pils. I recommend both. Yes, it's 0857 hours here and I just finished mowing the yard after pulling a 12 hour shift that ended at 0700. Bed time is coming soon.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
shaX

Post by shaX »

Bud Light Platinum at home (6%, usually can be bought for under $1 per beer).

Sometimes i'll splurge on a higher end local brew.

At a restaurant I'll usually go with whatever is cheapest unless i'm celebrating a special occasion in which case i'll choose whatever I want regardless of cost.
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Founder's Centennial IPA tonight... Delicious. :beer
Big Snack

Post by Big Snack »

1. Free
2. Free Light
3. New Castle
4. Yuengling
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

For those who like Yuengling Lager and live in Pennsylvania, have you ever had Yuengling ice cream? Now back to the original poster's question; my favorites are Yuengling Lager and Newcastle ale.

I remember my college days back in the mid-fifties when the favorite beer in the 'north country' of New York State was Carling Black Label which, when on special sale, could be purchased for $3.99 a case. :beer :sharebeer
Tom D.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

tomd37 wrote:For those who like Yuengling Lager and live in Pennsylvania, have you ever had Yuengling ice cream?
Great timing. I've got 2 types in my freezer right now - Black & Tan and Espresso. Both are excellent quality - at the level Ben & Jerry's used to be before they sold out.

I highly recommend the Black & Tan.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Guinness in Ireland, here it just isn't the same. Sam Adams Boston Lager is a current favorite as is Blue Moon Belgium Ale. I just put Yuengling and Dogfish on the try list. Fortunately I have a Dogfish and Yuengling seller on a more commonly taken street.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Big Snack wrote:1. Free
Hmm... I've been looking for Free beer but it's always been available only tomorrow.

LadyGeek wrote:I've got 2 types in my freezer right now - Black & Tan and Espresso. Both are excellent quality - at the level Ben & Jerry's used to be before they sold out.
Where do you buy it? In grocery stores (in PA, of course.) I wonder if I can find some as far away as Coudersport or Wellsboro. (There are limits to how far I'm prepared to drive for good ice cream ;))
midareff wrote:Guinness in Ireland, here it just isn't the same.
It's not the same because the Guinness that's sold in bottles/cans in the US is "Imported!"—from Toronto or New Brunswick (neither of which are in Ireland :( ) Only the draught is brewed in Dublin.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:I've got 2 types in my freezer right now - Black & Tan and Espresso. Both are excellent quality - at the level Ben & Jerry's used to be before they sold out.
Where do you buy it? In grocery stores (in PA, of course.) I wonder if I can find some as far away as Coudersport or Wellsboro. (There are limits to how far I'm prepared to drive for good ice cream ;))
They have a website: Yuengling's Ice Cream, PA, click on the store locator. Yes, you can buy it in Wellsboro (zip code is 16901). I'm thinking the Black & Tan would go good with a beer.

The ice cream is manufactured in Pottsville PA, about an hour's drive north of Vanguard.
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
midareff wrote:Guinness in Ireland, here it just isn't the same.
It's not the same because the Guinness that's sold in bottles/cans in the US is "Imported!"—from Toronto or New Brunswick (neither of which are in Ireland :( ) Only the draught is brewed in Dublin.
I think you're mixing some history into the modern brewing story. Earlier last century, due to the vagaries in alcohol taxation laws, Guinness brewed one version for domestic distribution and another version for export with higher alcohol. Today Guinness is brewed in 60 countries, and looking at the wiki page there's so many different styles and with changes in ingredients it's hard to tell what would really be direct descendents, though such is true for most of the traditional UK beers as well...the wars knocked the stuffing out of their OG, etc. Sometimes the unfermented beer wort is created in Ireland and shipped to be fermented local to distribution, sometimes it's fully a local creation, sometimes it's a true import. I'm pretty sure they shut down their old small-scale traditional brewery and now Ireland or not, it's produced in modern facilities.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

LadyGeek wrote:They have a website: Yuengling's Ice Cream, PA, click on the store locator. Yes, you can buy it in Wellsboro (zip code is 16901). I'm thinking the Black & Tan would go good with a beer.
Cool! Looks like they're available at Wegman's stores around Buffalo, a mere 2 hour drive :sharebeer
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Drank an original w00t stout from Stone last night, aged about a year, was pretty excellent. Saved half for tonight.

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

BruDude wrote:Drank an original w00t stout from Stone last night, aged about a year, was pretty excellent. Saved half for tonight.
Very nice. W00t stout is quality. My favorite stout is Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout, which will be out in a few weeks. However, at ~$25/4 pack (2013 pricing) I can't imagine many bogleheads will buy it.

My current "go-to" frugal craft brew is PA's own Victory Dirtwolf @ ~$43/case. One of the best IPA's I've ever had.
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

Thetightfist wrote:What is a Boglehead beer? It should have good taste but it should be reasonable in cost, right?

What is the beer of choice for the Boglehead? Also, what is the beer of choice when splurging?

:lol:
I have to say that I don't understand why so many equate being a Boglehead with being cheap. I am much more concerned with value than I am with buying the cheapest whatever out there. I've worked hard to develop a good career not just to sock a bunch of money away, but to be able to enjoy some things that I value and enjoy.

That said, I have a few favorites that I will alternate among depending on what happens to be available at a good price at any given time. Note that none of them can be considered to be cheap, even when on sale. I don't have a list of "splurge beers" because IMO life is too short to drink bad beer.

Racer 5 IPA
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada Torpedo
Stone Pale Ale
Stone IPA
Stone Arrogant Bastard

Yes, there is a theme there.
Dave
gator15

Post by gator15 »

This is probably my favorite thread of all time. I've tried some new beers based on everyone's recommendation. I'd never tried Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA until I read this thread. The beer is by far my favorite now. I also recommend most beer's made by Avery Brewing Company including White Rascal, Salvation and The Reverend.
maxq

Post by maxq »

A few faves:

Rogue Brewery Dead Guy Ale
Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter and Inversion IPA
Shiner Bock
Karbach Hopadillo IPA
Efes Pils (Turkish)
Ozujsko Pivo (Croatian)
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

So far I have avoided reading any part of this thread, thinking it would give unwarranted encouragement. I read the last page tonight.

I am a huge fan of coffee beers and bourbon barrel aged beers. Those who combine the two are quite frankly amazing.

For years I did not like any beers. This was likely due to being only introduced to beers that were bland. Now though, I am quite obsessed with stouts. I have had a few friends insist that after a year or so drinking craft beer, I'll love IPAs. The truth is, I can distinguish a good IPA via a sip, but I'm not interested in any more than that.

Four years later and I am still interested in flavored porters and stouts--chocolate and coffee.

Though I absolutely admit that I enjoyed a Belgium tripel this evening.

One of my favorite activities is traveling to a new place and trying the beers, regardless of style.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

It is nice that we have now local beers in the US which get made by local breweries. That's how it was when I grew up in Germany where my town of 200,000 had 3 local breweries. As a senior in high school (Oberschule) we had a class trip to one of the breweries, after which I had trouble riding home on my bike. Recently I could buy Wolters in the US. I am not a fan of additives to beers, I like the German medieval purity laws for beers.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

JDDS wrote:Four years later and I am still interested in flavored porters and stouts--chocolate and coffee.
May I suggest you try Southern Tier Brewings Choklat (chocolate stout) or Mokah (chocolate and coffee stout)? I also recommend Dog Fish Head's World Wide Stout and Victory's Storm King. All recommendations are part of the Imperial Stout style.
likegarden wrote:It is nice that we have now local beers in the US which get made by local breweries. That's how it was when I grew up in Germany where my town of 200,000 had 3 local breweries. As a senior in high school (Oberschule) we had a class trip to one of the breweries, after which I had trouble riding home on my bike. Recently I could buy Wolters in the US. I am not a fan of additives to beers, I like the German medieval purity laws for beers.
In a recent trip to Germany, I found it's still very much the same in Germany. You can always find the larger German beers, but for the most part, each town has their own beer. For example, in Dusseldorf we enjoyed Diebels but we could not find it in Mannheim.
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

I've been into German beer lately, especially the bocks and the dunkels. Weihenstephaner and Schneider-Weisse make some great beers. Spaten is good for the price. Schlenkerla makes an awesome rauchbier!
invest0

Post by invest0 »

PBR?

:sharebeer
teacher5

Post by teacher5 »

Anything from Middle Ages Brewing Co. in Syracuse, NY. Awesome microbrewery!
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I usually buy Budweiser, but my wife will frequently buy Heineken for me.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

likegarden wrote:As a senior in high school (Oberschule) we had a class trip to one of the breweries, after which I had trouble riding home on my bike. Recently I could buy Wolters in the US. I am not a fan of additives to beers, I like the German medieval purity laws for beers.
For whatever reason I love this :beer
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

:sharebeer

IPA : Bell's Two Hearted Ale (Pint cans are a good size)
Mexican : Sol w/ a lime
Can : Labatt's Blue

:beer
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf