Boglehead Beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
masteraleph

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by masteraleph »

We tend to enjoy wheat beers for the most part, though we also have a place in our hearts for stouts.

One place of note- Trader Joe's. They're pretty cheap and the house brand has decent, if not exceptional, examples of many types of beers (the hefeweizen and dunkelweizen in particular are pretty good).
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Founders (I'm from MI)...

Consumer Reports did an article last year on the best cheap domestics and I agree that they're pretty good for the $...
1. Coors Banquet
2. Big Flats (Walgreens)
3. Miller High Life

I've got a couple of Big Flats waiting for me tonight when the kiddos are in bed ;)
magician

Post by magician »

masteraleph wrote:One place of note- Trader Joe's. They're pretty cheap and the house brand has decent, if not exceptional, examples of many types of beers (the hefeweizen and dunkelweizen in particular are pretty good).
Amen!
Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
SPG8

Post by SPG8 »

magician wrote:
masteraleph wrote:One place of note- Trader Joe's. They're pretty cheap and the house brand has decent, if not exceptional, examples of many types of beers (the hefeweizen and dunkelweizen in particular are pretty good).
Amen!
Neither in Top 50 (click on style, then on "View the Most Popular").

Hefeweizen

Dunkelweizen
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

investingdad wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:^^^ I'm drinking Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest now. Not great, but not bad.

What's good? Anything by Weyerbacher (1+ hour north of me, Easton PA).
I tried their Pumpkin Imperial Ale this weekend. .......pass, too sweet.
I used to like pumpkin ales. Over the past few years, I've become disenchanted with several brands for exactly that reason. Thanks, I'll pass.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

LadyGeek wrote:
investingdad wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:^^^ I'm drinking Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest now. Not great, but not bad.

What's good? Anything by Weyerbacher (1+ hour north of me, Easton PA).
I tried their Pumpkin Imperial Ale this weekend. .......pass, too sweet.
I used to like pumpkin ales. Over the past few years, I've become disenchanted with several brands for exactly that reason. Thanks, I'll pass.
I haven't heard Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin ale described as sweet before. It's actually my favorite among pumpkin beers, close 2nd is Dogfish Head's Punkin.

Other pumpkin beers I enjoy:

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale
Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale

The sweetest I've ever had is Southern Tier's Pumking.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

It started out nice...good spice and flavor. Just like Halloween. But it quickly became sweet and cloying. Give it a try if you like the style but it doesn't work on my palate.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

I'm definitely going to have to try Trader Joe's. I didn't know they had a labeled beer.

Although I'm sure some will turn their nose at this, a brewmeister friend at a local craft brewery recommends canned Stroh's, poured into a glass. He says they've fooled fellow tasters with it. It's definitely a bargain at about $.50/can. Works great for micheladas, too, and cheaper than Corona.
Last edited by Frugal Al on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimkinny

Re:

Post by jimkinny »

LadyGeek wrote:
Keim wrote:I read a book by the John Bogle of homebrewing, Charlie Pappazian.

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing.
Not only read it, but it's bookmarked with numerous recipes that we've tried. Tilt whatever way you want.

Try the Cherry Fever Stout, use 20 oz. of dried cherries if you can't get fresh ones.

(Charlie Papazian.)
thanks for the reference. I really like stout beers. The only thing that keeps me from drinking too much stout beer is the calories. I retired not too long ago, maybe I will give home brewing a try.

jim
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

And they're made by other breweries, most which are pretty premium craft breweries:
http://frenchoaktv.com/2010/10/the-brew ... abel-beer/
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

The true boglehead beer is to make your own.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

roymeo wrote:
And they're made by other breweries, most which are pretty premium craft breweries:
Their annual Belgian style Vintage Ale (made by Unibroue, the LaFinDuMonde/Maudite people) is top notch, and a bargain at something like $4-5 for 750ml.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10707/86743
SPG8

Post by SPG8 »

House Blend wrote:
roymeo wrote:
Their annual Belgian style Vintage Ale (made by Unibroue, the LaFinDuMonde/Maudite people) is top notch, and a bargain at something like $4-5 for 750ml.
Top notch?

It scores below the mean on that site.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

House Blend wrote:
roymeo wrote:
Yeaaaahhhh. Stock the heck up on those. It's similar to Trois Pistoles for about half the price. I've seen very limited runs of a TJ's branded Belgian Style Golden Ale but was only able to buy a few at the time. Not sure if they're making that a regular thing, but it was quite good. Similar to La Fin Du Monde.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

SPG8 wrote:
House Blend wrote:
roymeo wrote:
Top notch?

Eh? Where do you see that? I could see, possibly, it being below average among Belgian strong darks, but that's a pretty self-selecting group, and the average price of the bottle is that category is probably at least twice what TJ's charges.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

SPG8 wrote:
House Blend wrote:Their annual Belgian style Vintage Ale (made by Unibroue, the LaFinDuMonde/Maudite people) is top notch, and a bargain at something like $4-5 for 750ml.
Top notch?

A bit of hyperbole. But if you like other Unibroues, or Belgian style ales in general, you should at least try it.

FWIW, I don't put much stock in the reviews on beeradvocate. I often take a look after I've tried a new beer, and frequently find that I disagree. I do find them useful for hunting down beers I would like to try. Similar to movie reviews...
SPG8

Post by SPG8 »

supertreat

Post by supertreat »

For a session beer (one that I can drink a few of):
Pilseners: Schells Pilsener, Blue Paddle Pilsener (New Belgium Brewing)
Amber Ales: Levity, 90 Shilling - IMO O'Dell brewing co. makes some of the best ambers in the world

For "special occasion" beer:
Basically any of the Chimays though I prefer the cing-cents in the summer - I feel these are a good value for the quality of beer you get and also feel good about splurging since the Abbey donates most of their profits to charities!

If anyone likes stouts I HIGHLY recommend Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - I've only had it once with a friend who had aged a bottle a few years and WOW what a flavorful beer- would try it as a dessert.
Assets - Liabilities = Equity + (Income - Expenses)
wbond

Post by wbond »

I like some good college football with my beer.

[OT sports comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
curiouskitty

Post by curiouskitty »

Just a heads up that PBR contains genetically modified corn and corn syrup. It is worth getting something tastier and healthier!

I like Chimay, Franziskaner Weissbier, Victory HopDevil, Leffe, and a variety of other yummy beers. Thanks for all the great suggestions in this thread :happy
bayview

Post by bayview »

ofcmetz wrote:
bayview wrote: I like Abita Wheat, which is seasonal.
Abita Wheat is a great summer time beer. How far from Louisiana are you buying it? I know Andy Gator, Turbodog, Purple Haze, and Amber make it pretty far these days, but am not so sure how far the seasonals get out of the state.

If you are ever in Abita Springs, LA, I recommend visiting the brewery for all the free beer you can drink. Just make sure you have a driver because its a definite two fist tour. (The tour guide told everyone to fill up a glass for each hand before our tour started). :sharebeer
One of my kids did a church-related cleanup in Abita Springs after Katrina, and that's where she learned about Abita beers. (Yay for church youth groups! :D ) She wound up living for a year in Slidell doing Katrina cleanup there and in NOLA before heading to med school.

So the only time I had their wheat beer was when I visited. It's definitely not available here in NoCal, so I just try to grab it when I go back to visit back East/Southeast. I loved the brewery visit, although I was appalled to see her drink strawberry or raspberry or something-else-berry beer. :shock: I think she's regained her senses, though.
:sharebeer
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
staustin

Post by staustin »

For those of you in central and south texas, Indio is now available. My two standby's are Shiner Bock and Indio.

Huge fan of Odell Brewery... i now drive to Colorado for my annual summer retreat from the heat and load the cooler up for the return trip.
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

bayview wrote: One of my kids did a church-related cleanup in Abita Springs after Katrina, and that's where she learned about Abita beers. (Yay for church youth groups! :D ) She wound up living for a year in Slidell doing Katrina cleanup there and in NOLA before heading to med school.

So the only time I had their wheat beer was when I visited. It's definitely not available here in NoCal, so I just try to grab it when I go back to visit back East/Southeast. I loved the brewery visit, although I was appalled to see her drink strawberry or raspberry or something-else-berry beer. :shock: I think she's regained her senses, though.
^Now thats a great story about how you tried a new beer.

Thanks to your daughter for the help after Katrina! The Slidell area took some pretty serious wind damage from that storm. Abita Brewery came out with Restoration (pale) Ale right after Katrina and donated $1 per six pack to a fund that helps New Orleans area restaurants recover from the storm. Restoration Ale become so popular that it became one of their permanent beers.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

Another vote for Abita! My favorite is classic Abita Amber. Other popular Abita brews - Purple Haze, Turbodog, Andygator, and plain old root beer. Also recommend taking the brewery tour if you get the chance to visit the Northshore in South Louisiana.

http://abita.com/brews
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

curiouskitty wrote:Just a heads up that PBR contains genetically modified corn and corn syrup. It is worth getting something tastier and healthier!

I like Chimay, Franziskaner Weissbier, Victory HopDevil, Leffe, and a variety of other yummy beers. Thanks for all the great suggestions in this thread :happy
It's like we're the same person, I listed out the same stuff as part of my standard rotation. But not Chimay, too pricey for regular fridge duty.

As for PBR, the fact that it even contains corn and corn syrup should be the red flag that it's not worth drinking. Most cheap, American lagers and pilsners rely heavily on cheap adjuncts. There's a reason you need to drink it SUPER COLD (when the Can turns BLUE, it's COLD ENOUGH!!), the colder it gets the less you can taste it.

When a 'beer drinker' wrinkles his nose at the idea of drinking 'warm' beer (aka temps typical in England and Europe) it's because he's had cheap swill at warmer temps. And I agree, they taste awful. Because they are awful. A quality beer can be consume at much more moderate temperatures because there are no off flavors from cheap 6 row barly, cheap adjuncts, and corn.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

Thought I'd post one of my favorites lately, although not very boglehead, Firestone Walker's Double Jack IPA. It comes in a 4-pack for ~$12, but it is delicious. Best part is it's brewed year-round and I don't usually have trouble finding it.

I also got lucky last week and found some Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Unfortunately, it's $10/bottle so I only bought two and will save them for when my son is born.

Hope everyone gets to try some great brews over the holiday weekend - happy 4th!
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

I picked up a sixer of Sierra Nevada Summerfest for $6.99 at my local grocery store for this weekend. Not too flashy, but a solid value in my opinion.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

My absolute new favorite beer is Jai Alai IPA

Perfect summer beer. Beautiful citrus notes balanced with a nice hoppiness. Words cant describe how good it is. Bit hard to find, but it runs about $11 for a 6 pack.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

Bud Light. It's pretty much the only beer I drink regardless of where I am. I will occasionally drink Landshark if it's available (no, I don't think Corona is the same thing).
triggerfish10

Post by triggerfish10 »

New Glarus Spotted Cow (had barrels of this at our wedding - reaction from my out of state friends: :shock:
New Glarus Totally Naked
Capital Wisconsin Amber
Magic Hat Number 9
Lakefront Bridge Burner
Founders Breakfast Stout (and KBS if you can find it)
Lake Louie Warped Speed Scotch Ale
New Holland Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel Stout
O'so Night Train
O'so Doe in Heat
O'so The Big O

I like sampling regional beers when I travel, but that said, if I were somehow forced to only drink Wisconsin beers for the rest of my life, I would die a very happy man
"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest" - Albert Einstein
boglesmkcents

Post by boglesmkcents »

Another vote for Pliny the Elder from Russian River Brewing (if you can find it...most stores keep it hidden in back and you need to ask for it)...

Also just discovered Stone IPA at Trader Joe's...Green Flash IPA also good -- for when we cannot find Pliny (which is most of the time)
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

Does anyone like dark beers like Guiness ? I began drinking them when I went to UK three years back.
Sam314159

Post by Sam314159 »

I buy "mystery cases" from a local distributor. Cost is $25/case, and quality is usually pretty good. Stone IPA is a common grab.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

I do like the dogfish beers. I also like to make my own Black and Tans at home with this metal turtle thing my wife got me to pour the Guinness over. Not sure if it's widely distributed but if you have got the opportunity try something from Monday Night Brewing, a relatively new beer maker from Atlanta. I love the drafty kilt scotch ale. Another local brewery that I know is widely distributed is sweetwater. Can't beat the 420 pale ale.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
westie

Post by westie »

Pacifico in the summer

Beck's the rest of the year.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

roymeo

Post by roymeo »

XtremeSki2001 wrote: I also got lucky last week and found some Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Unfortunately, it's $10/bottle so I only bought two and will save them for when my son is born.
I was in one of my local brewpubs and heard a couple of people discussing beer and in discussion of some other beer referenced "it may have the 120-minute problem", and I knew instantly what they were talking about: a beer that is priced out of it's demand, whatever that price may be, and may often end up stuck on the shelf for too long. Or odd enough that they don't rotate. Dogfish Head is good at making both.

There certainly are beers that are for cellaring, but most hoppy beers are intended to be enjoyed before the hops have declined too much.
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

Frugal Al wrote:I'm definitely going to have to try Trader Joe's. I didn't know they had a labeled beer.
Trader Joe's has been selling private label beer for several years now. Since they started doing that, I don't buy beer anyplace else. Excellent beer at reasonable prices. They seem to source from local breweries (Their wheat/lager/pilsner is sourced from Gordon Biersch, where we live). They also have imported private label beer. The ones from Mexico taste very much like Corona beers.

The other place to try is Costco of course. Over the July 4th, my neighbor brought some excellent beer he had bought at Costco - sold as single bottles (not cases), also local brews. One was "Brother Thelonius", which I liked very much and picked up a few bottles over the weekend -

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-b ... onious.htm
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

if i'm going out its hard to beat guiness on draft.

for home use i try to buy something different every time. enjoy the variety.
Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo »

Three Philosophers is the best beer I have ever tasted. I'm typically a wine drinker.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

roymeo wrote:
XtremeSki2001 wrote: I also got lucky last week and found some Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Unfortunately, it's $10/bottle so I only bought two and will save them for when my son is born.
I was in one of my local brewpubs and heard a couple of people discussing beer and in discussion of some other beer referenced "it may have the 120-minute problem", and I knew instantly what they were talking about: a beer that is priced out of it's demand, whatever that price may be, and may often end up stuck on the shelf for too long. Or odd enough that they don't rotate. Dogfish Head is good at making both.

There certainly are beers that are for cellaring, but most hoppy beers are intended to be enjoyed before the hops have declined too much.
I'm not sure I agree. 120 minute is a limited release three times a year to a handful of states. I frequent the beer distributor and bottle shops here in PA and I've never just came across a bottle of 120, with the exception of above. When I checked out the counter guy said they only put out a little at a time so everyone gets a chance to buy it. They, like many others, also put a limit on how many bottles you have. This leads me to believe the demand is greater than the supply. Sure it's not Bell's Hopslam or Pliny the Elder, but it is in high demand.

120 minute is a rare beer in that it can be consumed years after it's initial bottling date. However, I usually drink it within the first 6 months for the reasons you outline. The bottles I picked up were part of DFH's June release. There are plenty other IPA/DIPA I won't buy unless they're really fresh - Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe, Stone IPA, Victory Dirtwolf, etc etc.
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

XtremeSki2001 wrote:
roymeo wrote:

I'm not sure I agree. 120 minute is a limited release three times a year to a handful of states. I frequent the beer distributor and bottle shops here in PA and I've never just came across a bottle of 120, with the exception of above. When I checked out the counter guy said they only put out a little at a time so everyone gets a chance to buy it. They, like many others, also put a limit on how many bottles you have. This leads me to believe the demand is greater than the supply. Sure it's not Bell's Hopslam or Pliny the Elder, but it is in high demand.

120 minute is a rare beer in that it can be consumed years after it's initial bottling date. However, I usually drink it within the first 6 months for the reasons you outline. The bottles I picked up were part of DFH's June release. There are plenty other IPA/DIPA I won't buy unless they're really fresh - Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe, Stone IPA, Victory Dirtwolf, etc etc.
And to tell you the truth, it may have been "90-minute problem" that I overheard...

As a homebrewer, I'm curious as to what the difference is that makes a IPA* cellarable. (I'm also totally not saying you have to drink your hoppy beers immediately and have been known to cellar some of most of my own brews and some commercial beers.)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I've had Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA, but not for a few years. From what I remember- it was so intense that it just didn't taste like hops anymore. You couldn't drink it fast because it was so strong, but you kept wanting to keep drinking. Excellent. Has it changed character in the past year or so?

On the opposite end of the scale - Cave Creek Chili beer. About 10 years ago, we shared some of this with our friends - and subsequently were banned from ever bringing beer to them again. They still haven't forgiven us. :) From what I understand, the original brewery closed in 2008. However, they've retained the quality - 0.0.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
milleo

Post by milleo »

Sam314159 wrote:I buy "mystery cases" from a local distributor. Cost is $25/case, and quality is usually pretty good. Stone IPA is a common grab.
+1 Some local beer stores will run close outs of random beers from the prior season. My latest finds were Saranac Prism $17/case and Trois Pistoles $27/case.
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

Shiner Beer.

There's nothing finer than a Shiner.

Shiner Ruby Redbird comes out in the summer and is my favorite.

But really - any Shiner.

I don't know anything.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Recent articles on high fructose corn syrup and caramel color in many big name beers have me a bit more picky about ingredients lately.

The last month, I've been drinking Hoegaarden, Brooklyn Lager, and a new somewhat-hard-to-find favorite Wolaver's Wildflower Wheat.
psychoslowmatic

Post by psychoslowmatic »

Right now my personal favorite is Lagunitas' Little Sumpin Sumpin. A great West Coast IPA. I also have enjoyed Orval, Long Trail Saison, and Southern Tier's 2x1 stout and ipa recently. Consistency is the sign of a weak mind :sharebeer
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

psychoslowmatic wrote:Right now my personal favorite is Lagunitas' Little Sumpin Sumpin. A great West Coast IPA.
American Wheat. (Like Bell Oberon, or Three Floyds Gumball Head.)
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

psychoslowmatic wrote:Right now my personal favorite is Lagunitas' Little Sumpin Sumpin. A great West Coast IPA. I also have enjoyed Orval, Long Trail Saison, and Southern Tier's 2x1 stout and ipa recently. Consistency is the sign of a weak mind :sharebeer
If you think Little Sumpin Sumpin is good, you need to try Little Sumpin Wild....one of my favorites.
General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray »

A colleague recently introduced me to Lindeman's lambic beer. The more orthodox beer drinkers may not like lambic beer, which is fruity. I tried it and really enjoyed it. I tried several flavors: peach, black current, and cherry. My favorite was the peach. It was definitely very fruity and didn't really taste at all like beer. In fact, I questioned my colleague as to whether it was even beer at all. He assured me it was.

In any event, Lindeman's lambic beer are quite enjoyable and not costly ($11 for a wine-size bottle, and $7 for a smaller bottle).