how many of you are distance runners?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fredflinstone

how many of you are distance runners?

Post by fredflinstone »

Judging by the user names, there are quite a few of us out there. Any of you run marathons and if so, what is your best time? Feel free to fudge it a bit to preserve your anonymity.
Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process »

don't laugh but I just started doing 5Ks after not being able to bike for an extended period. now I'm looking at 10Ks and halfs. at 6'1" (and a beginning runner at age 34) I'm a little worried about even training for a full marathon, but I guess the challenge is what it's all about.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37
Topic Author
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

there are people much taller than 6'1" who have been excellent distance runners. Jack Bachelor finished ninth in the Olympic marathon in 1972. He was 6'7" I believe. An Australian named Craig Mottram is running very well recently (sub-13 5000 meters). He is 6'2". I think short, tall doesn't matter as much as biomechanics, conditioning, and strength.
bogglehead

Post by bogglehead »

I ran the Chicago Marathon in 2009. My time was pathetic but the experience was amazing -- highly recommended. I'm probably going to do some distance event this year but I haven't decided on one yet.
ascenzm

Re: how many of you are distance runners?

Post by ascenzm »

fredflinstone wrote:Judging by the user names, there are quite a few of us out there. Any of you run marathons and if so, what is your best time? Feel free to fudge it a bit to preserve your anonymity.
I run 5Ks these days because that is the most common road race in my area and I only run 15-30 miles/week. I've run 15 marathons, but haven't run a marathon since I ran the 1992 Boston Marathon. I took off 14 years from running after that marathon. The knees could no longer take the high mileage that serious marathon training requires (60+ miles week).

My marathon PR is 2:41 in 1990. My claim to marathon fame is that I was able to qualify for the Boston Marathon back in 1985 when the qualifying standards were a sub 2:50 marathon for men under 40 years of age. I was the slowest miler on my high school track team (couldn't even break a 5 minute mile so I never ever dreamed I'd be able to qualify for the Boston Marathon).

What surprises me today is that except for the professional runners, distance running times on average are much slower now than they were 25-30 years ago. This is not typical of other sports.

Mike
Avatar is a Japanese Cherry tree in Washington, DC during the peak cherry blossom time.
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

I ran NYC marathon on a whim and 25 mi/week and finished 4:17. I was on pace for breaking 4:00 as a goal until about mile 18. Found the wall. I do enjoy 5ks and especially 10ks. I was just undertrained for the full. Ran one TRI last year and it was very interesting. More to come for sure.
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

6'4", been running since high school (28 years now).

Best Marathon: 3:08 (Seattle)
Best 50 miler: 8 hours and change (American River 50)
Best 100 miler: 28 hours (Western States 100)

Last marathon: Paris, France 2010
Currently training for: Vancouver, Canada, May 1, 2011
Topic Author
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

ascenzm wrote:What surprises me today is that except for the professional runners, distance running times on average are much slower now than they were 25-30 years ago. This is not typical of other sports.
you are correct. I suspect a 2:41 marathon would not have placed you in the the top 300 at a major marathon 30 years ago. Today it would place you in the top 150 at New York and near the top 200 at Boston. Part of the explanation is that there are more marathons today than there were back then, which results in an increased number of entrants running at second-tier marathons. But I think Americans are just getting slower, too. Maybe it's because there are more fun leisure activities today than there were back then.

by the way, congratulations on running 2:41. That is an incredible achievement. My best time is around 3:10.
Topic Author
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

tludwig23 wrote:6'4", been running since high school (28 years now).

Best Marathon: 3:08 (Seattle)
Best 50 miler: 8 hours and change (American River 50)
Best 100 miler: 28 hours (Western States 100)

Last marathon: Paris, France 2010
Currently training for: Vancouver, Canada, May 1, 2011
I am in awe of people who run ultra-marathons.
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

fredflinstone wrote:
I am in awe of people who run ultra-marathons.
They are really very Bogleheadish. Slow, steady, avoid the noise, stay the course.
travelnut11

Post by travelnut11 »

I was a sprinter in high school so as you might imagine I am a very non-talented distance runner. Having said that, I took up running about 5 years ago as a new fitness method and have found it to be the best thing I've ever done for getting into shape. I typically do 5Ks, 10Ks and one half marathon per year. I doubt I'll ever do a full marathon as I don't think my body can handle it...I start to hurt around 10 miles. In the summer I switch to triathlons to give my legs a break but also because I can't stand running when it's too hot (and humid).
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrowmindedness ...and many of our people need it solely on these accounts. - Mark Twain | | Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing. - Helen Keller
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

At age 67 I'm passed doing ANY running, but I do have seven Marathons under my belt, with a personal best of 3:03 in the Marine Corps marathon in 1978.

Two torn meniscus, plus a reconstructed ACL from skiing put the kibosh on running. I still walk a brisk 5mi. every day in winter and bike 50 miles every other day in summer.

I love to eat, and hate being fat. :D

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

6'3" and out of shape currently. But back in the day, I managed to finish five marathons:

Portland
Chicago
New York
Phoenix
Las Vegas

Best time was 4:10. I'd like to get back into it "one of these days". The more life commitments you have, the tougher it is to train though.

JJ
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
iowahokies

Post by iowahokies »

Another distance runner here (and another tall runner 6'3") .... I am currently a "grounded" runner after finishing my second marathon in December - St Jude in Memphis.

I got diagnosed with a calf injury while training for this marathon. After the marathon, it seemed awfully painful for a calf injury. I got a second opinion and they found a significant stress fracture. I am in a soft boot but look forward to running again. I will build my mileage base back slowly to avoid reinjuring myself.

My best marathon was my first marathon - Chicago in 2009. I ran a 3:37. I thought a 3:25 was realistic this year until my "calf" injury. I ran a 4:00 with a stress fracture. It hurt like the dickens, but it was a great experience. As part of the St Judes Marathon I raised money for the Childrens Hospital. Part of the race course is through the Childrens Hospital campus. It was very inspiring.

I plan to run more marathons... just without the stress fracture. My multi-year goal is to Boston Qualify. I need to get down to 3:20 which is realistic over a multiple year period.

Steve
captain3d

Post by captain3d »

Common everybody where is your diversification...

My self and wifey enter one power lifting competition and one marathon each year. I go up and down about 20lb between the two.

Best deadlift from last year = 495lb at 180lb body weight
http://captain3d.com/dayoff/artwork/gym ... adlift.MP4

San Francisco marathon 4 months later = 3:37 at 161lb body weight
http://captain3d.com/dayoff/html/sf_mara/phil_2010.htm

Currently back up to 180 training for the power lifting competition in March. Then out of the gym and back to serious running for four months.

I am also a permanent porfolioist so you can see the mind set ;-)

phil (age 43)
moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 »

I ran my first half-marathon in 2010. Running a marathon is a goal in life. Probably looking at Atlanta or Chicago in next few years. Timing is not important to me at this point.
Bob's not my name

Post by Bob's not my name »

Took up competitive racing at 35 and set PR's in my forties (5k under 18:00, 10m under 65:00). Ran one marathon but I find my body breaks down whenever I exceed 40m/week so I focus on the shorter distances.
traineeinvestor

Post by traineeinvestor »

6' 2" and slow. I didn't start exercising (post school) at all until around 30 and running a couple of years later. Since then I've done 9 very slow marathons and 2 100K trailwalkers.

Sadly, a series of minor injuries over the last 4 years are taking their toll so I suspect my days of doing distance events (however slowly) are numbered.
james22

Post by james22 »

Going to run my first marathon in 26 years this spring. :o
Bob's not my name

james22 wrote:Going to run my first marathon in 26 years this spring. :o
Have more confidence. I'm sure you can do it in less than 26 years.
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

Marathons need to start enforcing their time limits.
ohiost90

Post by ohiost90 »

another tall marathon runner - 6' 2". ran my 1st two marathons(and only to date) @ the age of 42 in sub 4hr.
baa_10

Post by baa_10 »

Three Chicago marathons behind me. Have cut back to 5ks and 10ks as the knees can not handle the pounding anymore. Range was 3:45 - 4:00 hours.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Live Free or Diehard

Post by Live Free or Diehard »

Yukon wrote:
Marathons need to start enforcing their time limits.
That's an average of 1 mile, 14 yards and 2.42 feet per year. I'm sure I could do that.

I run half marathons and shorter distances (a lot of 5k and 10k races). I was training for a marathon several years ago and severely injured my IT band on my right leg. Now the IT band generally starts acting up about 11 miles into a run.
arthurb999

Post by arthurb999 »

I strength train 2x a week, sprint once a week and run 3 miles once a week.

I love the iron and sprinting but hate the "distance."
Guess I'm not like the others :D
ThinkingRunner

Post by ThinkingRunner »

ascenzm wrote:
fredflinstone wrote:Judging by the user names, there are quite a few of us out there. Any of you run marathons and if so, what is your best time? Feel free to fudge it a bit to preserve your anonymity.
I run 5Ks these days because that is the most common road race in my area and I only run 15-30 miles/week. I've run 15 marathons, but haven't run a marathon since I ran the 1992 Boston Marathon. I took off 14 years from running after that marathon. The knees could no longer take the high mileage that serious marathon training requires (60+ miles week).

My marathon PR is 2:41 in 1990. My claim to marathon fame is that I was able to qualify for the Boston Marathon back in 1985 when the qualifying standards were a sub 2:50 marathon for men under 40 years of age. I was the slowest miler on my high school track team (couldn't even break a 5 minute mile so I never ever dreamed I'd be able to qualify for the Boston Marathon).

What surprises me today is that except for the professional runners, distance running times on average are much slower now than they were 25-30 years ago. This is not typical of other sports.

Mike
2:41 is a fabulous time.

My best is 2:58 at Chicago with a 10K best around 39:00, this is from 5 years ago. Thought I'd break that last year after putting in several 50+ mile weeks but was undone by an icy Nor'easter in the middle of October, dropping out at 13.1 in a disappointing 1:34.

EDIT: I started running at age 24 and ran those times aged 25.
modal

Post by modal »

http://www.runningahead.com <= Great site for runners

So far, I've participated in 5km, 4 mile, 8km, 5 mile, 10km, 15km, half marathon, 25k, 20 mile, marathon, and long distance relays (>200 miles).

Majority of the time, I run a leisurely 9-10 min/mile.

I need to look into training plans and work at pushing myself harder.

Any recommendations on marathon training plans?
ThinkingRunner

Post by ThinkingRunner »

modal wrote:http://www.runningahead.com <= Great site for runners

So far, I've participated in 5km, 4 mile, 8km, 5 mile, 10km, 15km, half marathon, 25k, 20 mile, marathon, and long distance relays (>200 miles).

Check out Daniels' Running Formula. He has complete training plans for all distances at all ability levels.

http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Running-F ... 0880117354
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

I don't run much any more due to plantar fasciitis, but try to get out once a week to run hills, 4-7 miles. Otherwise I walk, ride my bike, or stairmaster at the gym.

Only marathon was for my 40th birthday, 3:39, not too bad for a weekend warrior, but nothing great.

Used to do 10k swims too, but that was before triathlons got popular, so never did any of those. Can still swim a mile a pop at the local pool in the summer.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
travelnut11

Post by travelnut11 »

Thanks modal for the running site. I've tried a couple of different training logs over the year but have never found anything that I liked. The demo here looks cool so I'm going to give it a shot.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrowmindedness ...and many of our people need it solely on these accounts. - Mark Twain | | Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing. - Helen Keller
brisni

Post by brisni »

Marathon training suits the diehard mentality. We know how to plan, prepare, set long-term goals, deal with setbacks, "stay the course", etc.

I've run four marathons, but only one faster than 4 hours. Usually I have some minor injury that keeps me from doing as well as I want on the big day. I prefer half-marathon since it is still a good workout but less painful! Actual this year I've cut back a bit on running and started doing crossfit which emphasizes total body fitness.
xystici

Post by xystici »

I am a runner.

I do consider long distance running any running distance over 42 km.

I have run 2 marathons (Montreal, Canada in 2006 and Providence, Rhode Island in 2008).
xystici

Post by xystici »

brisni wrote:Marathon training suits the diehard mentality. We know how to plan, prepare, set long-term goals, deal with setbacks, "stay the course", etc.
Agreed. Well said.

I do live every day with a distance runner mentality.

It is fun and very rewarding.
TRC

Post by TRC »

I've run a lot of 24 hour team relay events covering 200+ miles with a team of 9 runners. I'm currently training for my first Marathon in May. My goal is to finish under 3:30.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I like athlinks.com.

Actually, I take that back. Maybe "like" is too strong a word. I find AthLinks to be useful as a race time database (they have nearly everything!). But the site itself really could be improved. Poorly designed. Sluggish.

Oh well. I still use it.

JJ
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
houstongal

Post by houstongal »

Been frequenting this forum for a while. First time poster.

Ran 6 marathons. 4 Houston, 1 Anchorage and 1 Marine Corps.
Training for my 5th Houston (it's in 3 weeks).

Friend's doing 50 marathons in 50 states, so did Anchorage with her. Beautiful scenery. A must do marathon!

Best time: 4 hours
Will be happy with 4:15 this year..haven't been training much...
Bob's not my name

TRC wrote:I've run a lot of 24 hour team relay events covering 200+ miles with a team of 9 runners.
I did one of these and it was a blast. I ran three legs, each 5-9 miles, in 24 hours, and enjoyed the challenge of trying to pace that correctly -- that is, not running the first at normal race pace and burning out.
aggie91

Post by aggie91 »

Glad to see so many other Bogleheads who enjoy running as much as I do. I've done tons of 5Ks, 6 or 7 triathlons, a few 10Ks. My biggest race was the Army 10-Miler to celebrate my 40th birthday a few years ago.

Now I have my very own "pace car" that accompanies me every time I run.....

For the past several years, I've been running along the beautiful trails of a typical surburban US neighborhood. Endless routes from which to choose, birds chirping, kids riding bikes, trees everywhere. The biggest obstacles were the deer, squirrels, or occasional snakes that would cross the trails.

Now, I'm living on a US military base in Italy. There's nowhere safe for me to run nearby. My regular running path now is the 2.8 mile perimeter of the base...which is surrounded by a 10 foot tall chain linked fence topped by some barbed wire contraption. My "pace car" is the Italian military security vehicle that constantly circles our base. They "know" me by now.....I'm friendly and wave 'howdy' to them....they occasionally drive at the same pace as me and we are 'friends', although we never speak. Some days I run clockwise, alternating days I run counterclockwise.... It's quite an experience, but I often feel like I am a hamster stuck inside a little cage on that spinning wheel just going round and round and round.

Once we get back to the States, I'm never going to run in circles again.

:)
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

I've been a runner for over 4 decades. Never ran a marathon or anything over 10 miles. But I did race in high school and did some 10k's years back. It's fine if you want to do those really long distances but I've shied away from those.

Nowadays I focus on extra good running habits avoiding any injuries. Goal is 20 miles per week in the hills (no pavement). Generally 5 mile runs. If you want to push yourself 5 miles can be a killer. I do stretching a little in the middle of the workout.

A few recent insights. I got one of those temperature readouts that has a liquid crystal display and an outside wireless monitor -- cheap at $20. That really helps me to dress appropriately for the run. Also to avoid achilles tendonitis I've found that just a few toe circles with the leg lifted in the air does the trick -- especially important in cold weather.

Keep on running!
penngy

Post by penngy »

I've run over a dozen marathons and Boston for the second time in April. After qualifying for Boston and getting a guaranteed entry to New York by time, I seem to have lost the drive to train so hard and will probably ramp down to the half marathon level.
jeepster

Post by jeepster »

I am another tall runner - 6'1" female. I've run hundreds of races, but only 5 marathons out of all that. I've run Twin Cities 5 times. My first four were for myself, training either alone or with a running club, and my times were all around 4 hours. My fifth was with my non-runner boss to coach him to finish.

I haven't really run for two years or so since I found out I was having twins and the doctors put the kibosh on running. I ran a couple times with the jogging stroller this summer, but now that we have snow and ice, I'm not running at all.

I've done two triathlons, and really liked it except for the bike part. I've also done some open water swims (1mile through 5 miles). Swimming is my favorite sport, I just can't do it anymore due to shoulder problems. So hopefully soon, I'll be back in shape to run. My boss is making noises about running Twin Cities again this fall as he will be turning 50.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

No marathons for me, too hard on my body, but I've run lots of 10K's in the past when those were the most popular distance. Now after 40 years of races and 5K being the most popular distance, that's what I run.

Six feet tall here and I often finish in the top 25% of runners. I used to be better, but that's true for most things.
Sulvar

Post by Sulvar »

I'm also a marathon runner, although I'm a little out of shape right now. I've run 6 marathons, 15 or so half marathons and a ton of shorter races, but my times weren't anything to write home about. My best time for a full is 4:06 and my best time of a half is 1:40.
TRC

Post by TRC »

Bob's not my name wrote:
TRC wrote:I've run a lot of 24 hour team relay events covering 200+ miles with a team of 9 runners.
I did one of these and it was a blast. I ran three legs, each 5-9 miles, in 24 hours, and enjoyed the challenge of trying to pace that correctly -- that is, not running the first at normal race pace and burning out.
NICE! Team Relays are a blast. If you live in the North East, Reach the Beach is the mother of all east coast relays. The energy is amazing and really gets the adrenalin going. Hood to Coast in Oregon is supposed to be a blast too on the west coast. We started out doing 12 person teams, but found 9 to be better for the vehicles (more room). We're toying with the idea of a 6 person Ultra Team, but that would require some serious training.
Reubin

Knees

Post by Reubin »

I run 5 miles five times a week but my knees are always sore. Any advice would be appreciated.
BlueEars

Re: Knees

Post by BlueEars »

Reubin wrote:I run 5 miles five times a week but my knees are always sore. Any advice would be appreciated.
First make sure your shoes are in good shape. Some recommend no more then 500 miles max on a pair of good quality shoes. My ASIC Cumulous's cost ~$100 and last about 6 months. Then they become gardening shoes or I wash them and use for walking. More frequent retirement of shoes might be better then spending a lot on top of the line. Try to find a running oriented sports store in your area as they often can give good specific shoe advise.

Also if you've ramped up very quickly to this level of running that is a bit dangerous. General recommendations are to ramp up no more then about 10% extra per week. I'd consider scaling back so that there is a rest day in between each run day. Then after some weeks if there's no pain start ramping up. Just a guess at a plan.

Talking to a sports doctor might be worth your while. You want to enjoy your activity for years so best not to take chances.
Zander

Post by Zander »

I gave up "Chronic Cardio" about 10 years ago. It was just too hard on my body. I ran the 1996 LA Marathon in 4hrs 32 mins - and never ran an endurance distance again.
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

I will try to scale back some. Thank you, Les.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Reubin wrote:I will try to scale back some. Thank you, Les.
You might also think about what you run on. Concrete sidewalks vs trails or rubberized track at the local high school make a big difference.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
ascenzm

Post by ascenzm »

ThinkingRunner wrote:

Check out Daniels' Running Formula. He has complete training plans for all distances at all ability levels.

http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Running-F ... 0880117354
Daniels' book is great because as you stated his plans can be used by runner of any ability that want to improve their race times. A runner created a spreadsheet based on Daniel's book. I downloaded the spreadsheet, entered my 5K time and some other info and the spreadsheet told me the paces at which I should be running my various speed workouts. Very helpful.

Mike

http://www.electricblues.com/html/runpro.html
Avatar is a Japanese Cherry tree in Washington, DC during the peak cherry blossom time.