Microsoft Operating Systems

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

For Microsoft OS users which one are using

Windows 98
5%
Windows 98
5%
Windows XP
52%
Windows Vista
20%
Windows Vista
20%

Total votes: 132

Topic Author
Toons

Microsoft Operating Systems

Post by Toons »

For those of you using Microsoft Operating Systems on your computer which of the following are you using :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

XP
Gordon
Sirrip

Re: Microsoft Operating Systems

Post by Sirrip »

Toons wrote:For those of you using Microsoft Operating Systems on your computer which of the following are you using :D
No option for Windows 2000 or ME? :D
ickeal

Post by ickeal »

What if you use multiple OS?
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

I mainly use Ubuntu Linux. I have it dualbooting with Windowx XP, and the laptop is noticeably faster booting up due to not having to load antivirus software.
jameson71

Post by jameson71 »

7 has an awesome media center, especially for tv tuners. It's just like my old directv "ultimate tv" box. I just wish it kept track of what videos have been watched already.
On my laptop I still use xp and will continue to until I would have less application compatibility problems using 7 than I would with xp.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

my last windows computer came with xp, and i had upgraded my last computer before that to xp, so i have used it for possibly 6 years now? i haven't seen any reason to upgrade so far.. i will probably toss my current desktop and continue my mac buying plans when xp dies, having recently bought a macbook and being amazed by how much friendlier and reliable it is.
Indexed Fully!
GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint »

My laptop had a copy of Vista, but I only run Ubuntu now. The Lenovo people tell me that the copy of Vista is still hidden somewhere on my hard drive if I wanted to reinstall, but I never bothered. It wasn't worth the time for me to setup dual boot.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

arthurdawg wrote:my last windows computer came with xp, and i had upgraded my last computer before that to xp, so i have used it for possibly 6 years now? i haven't seen any reason to upgrade so far.. i will probably toss my current desktop and continue my mac buying plans when xp dies, having recently bought a macbook and being amazed by how much friendlier and reliable it is.
Well yeah, if you compare a 7-year old OS with a brand new OS of course the new OS will compare favorably. But Windows 7 blows snow leopard out of the water, IMO.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

XP is adequately stable, but will switch to Win7 during the fall
Indices

Post by Indices »

arthurdawg wrote:my last windows computer came with xp, and i had upgraded my last computer before that to xp, so i have used it for possibly 6 years now? i haven't seen any reason to upgrade so far.. i will probably toss my current desktop and continue my mac buying plans when xp dies, having recently bought a macbook and being amazed by how much friendlier and reliable it is.
I am in a similar situation, currently running Vista and as soon as I have enough saved, going to move to Mac. Vista's garbage performance has finally ended my relationship with Bill Gates.
Tiekoon

Post by Tiekoon »

Microsoft XP here and I love it..! Thank god I dodged the Vista nightmare, wouldn't wish that on anyone from what I’ve seen others experience.

I’ve been advised by my computer expert friends to stay with XP as long as they MS supports it. The dilemma …..I’m about to upgrade to a new machine and not sure which OS to go with. I am very comfortable with XP, does everything I need but, a Microsoft employee relative just graced me with a full compliment of boxed original Win 7 Ultimate OS and the new MS Office Professional 2010. Hummmm…do I make the change or wait and load Win 7 at a later date...?

Thanks for the timely subject..

Jack
Topic Author
Toons

Post by Toons »

So far interesting to see XP slight lead over Win7,,for some reason I thought that might be the case,,keep the comments coming , very interesting,,,,I have xp and win7 and find myself using xp more often than win 7 :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

Windows ME and Windows Vista.
modal

Post by modal »

Home
Windows 7 Professional with virtualized Windows XP, Ubuntu Linux, Mint Linux

Work
Windows XP
LikeYouImagine

Post by LikeYouImagine »

Home Workstation:
Windows XP Pro 64-bit

Home Media Computer:
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Work Laptop:
Windows XP Pro 32-bit

Windows 7 is quite nice IMO.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I got XP when I last purchased a PC many years ago. I won't change to anything else until I purchase another PC. At that point I suspect it will be Windows 7.
OAG

Post by OAG »

Three Computers (2 NB; 1 DT): One Windows 7 Professional, One Windows 7 Home and One Ubuntu. Will probably be moving to Apple on next Computer purchase (and keep Ubuntu too).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

Windows 7 all the way. Work desktop & personal laptop/desktop runs 7 Pro 64-bit. Upgraded my girlfriend's PC from Vista to 7 and she loves it. Got her parents a new PC with 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It's much easier for them to use than XP.

Telling people to stick with XP is just stupid. Support for SP3 runs out in 2014. 64-bit Windows 7 is rock solid and very fast.
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

I have 2 computers. An older laptop which runs Win XP. My newer laptop and primary machine runs Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. Win 7 is a solid and easy to use operating system. I highly recommend it.
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com
pochax

Post by pochax »

Home Office Desktop: Vista 64-bit
Home laptop: Windows 7 32-bit
Kids Desktop (my old office one): Windows XP

No need to upgrade my Vista on my desktop since it has been working great for me without problems.
risharinga

Post by risharinga »

jameson71 wrote: On my laptop I still use xp and will continue to until I would have less application compatibility problems using 7 than I would with xp.
Win7 let's you run XP programs after you download their virtualization and XP mode software (available for free.). The only requirement is that you have higher SKUs installed ex. Ulitmate/Professional. The Home editions do not support this.
See here for more details. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ws-xp-mode
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

XP does everything I need. I don't see any immediate need to change.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
ddb

Post by ddb »

I answered Windows 7, which is technically correct (my office PC runs on that), but I do most of my tasks in Windows Server 2008 via a Software as a Service (SaaS) arrangement. Since I session-in, the actual OS installed on my PC is of little consequence.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB
bc3x

Post by bc3x »

Have both XP and Windows 7.

Microsoft won't support XP after 4/8/14.

To paraphrase Microsoft's website for Windows 7, they have taken all the complaints about Vista to heart when designing 7.

It's a fairly easy transition from XP to 7. All those nagging pop-ups each time a new program starts, can be completely turned off in 7. There is a convenient box in the Start menu for a search or to do a run. Backup includes a system image so a separate purchase of Norton Ghost is unnecessary. Foreign language scripts will appear naturally instead of a stack of numbers. 7 permits an on-going login to this forum while XP requires a fresh login each time. Only problem thus far was the initial difficulty of setting up the wireless internet connection. Microsoft has redeemed itself.
Gratitude and Rudyard Kipling's "If"
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

KyleAAA wrote:
Well yeah, if you compare a 7-year old OS with a brand new OS of course the new OS will compare favorably. But Windows 7 blows snow leopard out of the water, IMO.
can't reliably compare windows 7, since i haven't used it, although i've heard good reports on it. i've debated updating my desktop dell to win 7, it is only 3.5 years old, and after hard drive and dvd player upgrades should have several more years of life. after it dies i am considering just running a wireless and not having a desktop anymore.

still, i've been impressed with the mac so far in terms of the integrated performance between the hardware and software. essentially no glitches with getting it all set up, everything works well, and i've never had this experience with microsoft on dell computers. previously i loved to tinker with things, but time is shorter than ever these days!
Indexed Fully!
chaz

Post by chaz »

Windows Vista
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Tiekoon

Post by Tiekoon »

Thank you ….Nummerkins, Chuck T, risharinga and bc3x

As a sidebar to the subject matter, thanks for the valuable first hand Windows 7 user feedback. I'm feelimg much less hesitant now about making the transition from XP to Win 7 for my new computer.

Happy 4th of July Holiday to all

Jack
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

At work and the library it's XP. At home and on the go it's other OS's -- Tet
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

Home: Just moved from Vista to Win 7 Professional, and love it. Highly recommend.

Work: good ole XP
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Nummerkins wrote:Windows 7 all the way. Work desktop & personal laptop/desktop runs 7 Pro 64-bit. Upgraded my girlfriend's PC from Vista to 7 and she loves it. Got her parents a new PC with 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It's much easier for them to use than XP.

Telling people to stick with XP is just stupid. Support for SP3 runs out in 2014. 64-bit Windows 7 is rock solid and very fast.
OMG, that's only four year away! I must instantly spend money on a new computer!

Seriously, though, when my 2005 XP laptop's second hinge brake breaks, I'll be looking at Windows 7. Can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't get the 64-bit version?
SSSS

Post by SSSS »

Eureka wrote:Seriously, though, when my 2005 XP laptop's second hinge brake breaks, I'll be looking at Windows 7. Can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't get the 64-bit version?
If you've got a 64-bit CPU, you should definitely use the 64-bit version; the only exception would be if you're wanting to keep old hardware that doesn't have 64-bit drivers available. Not an issue if you're buying a new system with 64-bit Windows 7 pre-installed, but if you're doing an upgrade or incorporating old hardware you should check for the availability of drivers first.
southport

Post by southport »

grok87

Post by grok87 »

Indices wrote:
I am in a similar situation, currently running Vista and as soon as I have enough saved, going to move to Mac. Vista's garbage performance has finally ended my relationship with Bill Gates.
agree I am typing this on a dell inspiron 1501 laptop running vista home premium. I have to chroncially boot in safe mode as it refuses to boot in normal mode (I get the spinning blue circle of death that spins forever)
Just ordered an Ipad and will get a mac laptop soon.
Microsoft delenda est!
cheers,
RIP Mr. Bogle.
BachFan

Post by BachFan »

Desktop: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Laptops (2): XP Pro
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I voted Windows 7 because that's the newest OS that I'm using on my two laptops which shipped with Vista. I also continue to use XP on my older desktop. I like both 7 and XP. I did not like Vista.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

i love Windows 7 on my little Netbook!
hudson

Post by hudson »

Rambling thoughts:

I use XP and Win7. XP gets the job done and is very comfortable, although I see why Win7 has many fans.

For business style Windows Server 2008...Active Directory systems, I like the way Win7 displays and lets you use network resources. You can easily search across many servers quicky...it starts displaying results before you finish typing.

I like Sticky Notes where you can scribble all over an existing screen and quickly email it. That helps a far-away-user understand your point.

Win7's XP mode where you can use XP software doesn't work all of the time. Getting XP software to work on Win7 takes trial and error. I've found that you can get 75% of the XP software to work. Some of the old software will work...but not exactly like it did before. I plan to download and install Win XP Mode ... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx. I'm hoping that this virtual XP mode will take care of the old software that I have to keep alive.
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

Workstation: Ubuntu Linux 9.10 64 bit.
Thinkpad X61: Ubuntu linux 9.10 64 bit.
Wife's web browsing machine: Ubuntu linux 9.10 32 bit.

Thinkpad T500 (work): Windows XP Pro 32 bit. I try not to use it as much as possible. I've even gone so far as to carry my Thinkpad X61 in the same bag for weeks at a time and boot them both in the office. It's not so much XP that is the issue, it's the fact that the Windows XP Pro machine has aggressive virus scanning turned on, spy sweeper, encrypted hard disk (not just user partition but the whole drive), etc. Really turns the machine into a dog.
stratton

Post by stratton »

I think it's a bigger difference that a huge part of Windows 7 installs are 64-bit.

Nearly half of Windows 7 installations are 64-bit
The transition to 64-bit computing has accelerated with the release of Windows 7. Figures published by Microsoft today claim that nearly half of Windows 7 installations—46 percent—are using 64-bit versions of the operating system. This represents a huge upswing in 64-bit adoption; Windows Vista, in comparison, had only 11 percent of its users running the 64-bit version.

The benefits of 64-bit Windows vary; for some users they will be substantial, for others, nonexistent. The 64-bit versions of the operating system have reliable access to larger amounts of physical memory than their 32-bit counterparts. 64-bit software similarly has easy access to more system resources. These factors can provide a substantial performance boost to heavy workloads like databases, but for other workloads—including common desktop tasks such as word processing or Web browsing—there is little advantage to be had.

64-bit Windows software is potentially more secure than 32-bit software. 64-bit Windows can make systems such as ASLR stronger, as known ASLR-defeating techniques depend on the relatively small amount of memory that 32-bit programs have available.
Paul
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I'm throwing another shout out to XP. Don't see why anyone would upgrade from it to Win7 unless there is a specific need. As great as Win7 is, it still runs slower that XP.

I'm equating the changeover from 32-bit to 64-bit akin to when Win95 came out and people started switching from 16-bit win3.1 to 32-bit Win95. Initial adoption was painful as new programs had problems or ran slower in the 32-bit environment. Eventually, things settled down as all programs were programmed for 32-bit.

The only reason 64-bit adoption has accelerated with Win7 is because Microsoft gives incentives to PC installers to use 64 over 32.

Future proofing for 64-bit is important to run the snazziest, jazziest program faster with more security. But I also remember lots of headaches getting that legacy print driver or older software that ran on Win3.1 to work in Win95.

My advice? It doesn't matter, 32-bit or 64-bit. Possible headaches now or possible headaches later? I chose not to upgrade at all on my older XP rig and took whatever bit they gave me on my new laptop which happens to be 64.
stratton

Post by stratton »

mmmodem wrote:The only reason 64-bit adoption has accelerated with Win7 is because Microsoft gives incentives to PC installers to use 64 over 32.
The "incentive" is selling more ram in the box. Any PC sold with 4+ GB at retail will have 64-bit Windows 7. 64-bit also provides 2x the number of registers which also can speed up software.

If you want to risk any online investing by running XP that's your problem.

Paul
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

mmmodem wrote:I'm throwing another shout out to XP. Don't see why anyone would upgrade from it to Win7 unless there is a specific need. As great as Win7 is, it still runs slower that XP.
On comparable hardware, yes. But hardware is so incredibly cheap it hardly matters. I got dual quad core processors and 12GB of RAM for around $1000 including a 22" monitor. Win7 runs lightening fast on it. I'd compare it favorably to Linux running KDE or Snow Leopard in terms of speed. In fact, I've pretty much stopped using linux entirely since I got it.

But I also remember lots of headaches getting that legacy print driver or older software that ran on Win3.1 to work in Win95.
mmmodem wrote: My advice? It doesn't matter, 32-bit or 64-bit. Possible headaches now or possible headaches later? I chose not to upgrade at all on my older XP rig and took whatever bit they gave me on my new laptop which happens to be 64.
True that. Just go ahead and buy a new printer. Developers rightfully don't want to support old technology. It's just too much trouble.
speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 »

XP Pro, (Thinkpads T60, T60p, and Dell 600M)
Win 7 (Thinkpad T400)
Ubuntu (Old Compaq laptop)
Win 98, yep still have an old desktop which boots 98

SB...
"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal" -Robert A. Heinlein