Back from Grand Canyon rafting trip

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fishnskiguy

Back from Grand Canyon rafting trip

Post by fishnskiguy »

DW and I just got back from a six day, 187 mile, rafting trip through the Grand Canyon. To call it the trip of a lifetime just might be an under statement.

When we decided to do this trip, the first decision was which one of the sixteen licensed companies to use. After a lot of research and picking the minds of several couples we know who had done the trip before we chose www.westernriver.com. We chose them because we wanted a motorized trip (rowing trips take on the order of eighteen days and that was just too long for us) on big, safe, rafts.

We could not have been happier with our choice. They provided tents, cots, sleeping bags and three fantastic meals each day. They also mailed us a ton of literature on what to expect, as well as a very complete list of recommended items to bring, with hooded rain coat and pants being at the top of the list. We booked the trip last October and had to go a week earlier than we originally wanted as that trip was full. As it turned out, the weather was just about perfect. The first day the high was about 70 degrees, the rest were in the low eighties, with one hour of light rain the second day.

We drove to Page, AZ spending a fun day hiking around Arches National Park on the way. The first morning we drove 45 minutes to Marble Canyon Lodge, which has a landing strip, and the half dozen of us who drove met up with the rest of the party which flew in from Las Vegas. After meeting our guides, we jumped into vans and drove two miles to Lee's Ferry where the two boats were already loaded out and ready to go. After loading our personal gear, which of course included a ton of beer and wine, we got a short safety course and got on our way. Each boat held fourteen passengers, a captain and a helper.

Each day included a stop and short hike before and after lunch. We awoke at dawn each morning to the smell of fresh coffee. After a great breakfast, we broke camp and got underway, generally around 8:30AM. Rain gear was an absolute must at least until lunch as the 45 degree water could cause a mighty chill since everyone was guaranteed to get drenched at least a half dozen times a day.

The twice daily side trips were easy, short hikes to all manner of creeks, waterfalls, slot canyons eight feet wide and two hundred feet high, caves, even a trip up a dry wash to view a piece of the wreckage of one of the aircraft involved in the famous 1956 mid-air collision over the canyon that resulted in the formation of the FAA.

Each day we pulled into camp about 4:00PM. After setting up camp, horderves were served before a great dinner of steaks, BBQ chicken, trout, fajitas, etc. We were in bed and asleep shortly after dark. Nights were cool but by no means cold.

We hit rapids every day with the really big class 10 rapids on the third and fifth day. Our rafts were 37 feet long and eighteen feet wide and allowed the skipper to safely take the gnarly-est line through each providing a thrilling ride for all and especially for those who chose to ride in the very front.

The last day we pulled ashore about 10:AM and were helicoptered out to a ranch on the North Rim where we got our first hot shower in a week. After lunch we were flown back to either Marble Canyon or Las Vegas.

We had planned to hike Bryce Canyon after the raft trip, but my wife slipped on a slab of sandstone and whacked her knee on the fourth day in the canyon and was still bothering her, so we did the windshield tour of the park instead. Just as well, as the weather turned cold (Bryce is at 8500 ft. elevation) and windy.

After getting home we learned my wife fractured her knee cap and is now hobbling around in a straight leg brace which she will be in for five weeks. Bummer. Still, a fantastic trip.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
investor

Post by investor »

I took that same trip with the same company in late June in the mid 1990's. The air temp was in the 100's. The water temp was said to be a stable 48 degrees. Only problem was that of not having a back support of any kind on the raft. After six days my back became sore. Hazards of being a senior citizen. Some really nice side/hiking trips. Water comes from bottom of the Dam and is always the same temp. Quite a shock to be hit with 48 deg water when sitting in 100 deg heat....

investor
Dan999

Another trip

Post by Dan999 »

This is my first post. I have been watching and learning for quite a while.
Now I have something to contribute.
I envy you this magnificent trip. Sounds like it truly was a trip of a life time. I will never be able to do it but.....

Last April, I went on the raft trip that goes from the dam at Page to Lee's Ferry where you got on. I saw the rafts that were preparing for the next day's trip.

This shorter trip is the 1/2 day trip for seniors young kids and anyone else who does not want camp,to get wet, or spend that many days on the river.

I highly reccommend it. The drive from the GC to Page and the slot canyons was fantastic. Also Monument Valley was great.

The whole area was awe inspiring and like a different planet to this easterner The GC was on my "bucket list".
This "side" trip was icing on the cake.

Please anyone that can, go while you can. I would do it again in a heart beat. Too much to see in my one trip. Maybe I will get out there again.

Not to hijack your thread, but agreeing that it is a fantastic place that everyone should see at least once in their lifetime.
taichifan

Post by taichifan »

That sounds fantastic, and is something I've wanted to do. Questions- Is it appropriate for people with absolutely no camping experience? Seniors? How strenuous is the activity? Thanks so much for sharing you experience.

Pamela
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Welcome back, Chris. How did it feel to not be the "captain" on this trip?

Other than your wife's busted knee-cap, it sounds like you had a great time.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Beezthree

Post by Beezthree »

i've heard from others that rafting the grand canyon was a life changing experience and is truly a trip of a lifetime.

the lee's ferry/marble canyon area is my favorite in the world. in fact, i just got married at the bottom of the grand canyon about two miles from the lee's ferry starting point.

any other details on your trip would be appreciated. i loved reading your thoughts about it all.

thanks.
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

I've done it three times at various periods in my life.

It's just beautiful.
pjstack
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Hi,
This conversation is a double post. Here is the other one: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1274722415
Best Wishes, | Joe
Enzo IX

Post by Enzo IX »

Wow that sounded like an amazing trip. It's on my bucket list for sure. I was just wondering if it's a trip for a person prone to motion sickness. Other than that I'm in.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I kayaked 230 miles of the Grand Canyon in 21 days on an unguided trip. While the river is fun, the real appeal of the Canyon is the side hikes. There are dozens of spectacular side canyons, waterfalls, and pools. The more days you have on the river, the more opportunities you have to enjoy these hikes, most of which are only accessible from the river. The Grand Canyon is the premier wilderness trip in the lower 48 states.
Topic Author
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

taichifan wrote:That sounds fantastic, and is something I've wanted to do. Questions- Is it appropriate for people with absolutely no camping experience? Seniors? How strenuous is the activity? Thanks so much for sharing you experience.

Pamela
Camping experience is absolutely not required. The guides showed us how to assemble the cots and tents. Piece of cake.

We had several seniors in their late seventies/early eighties, two with canes, all had a blast. On some of the side trips that required climbing they passed but were still able to do most of them. Us older folks (I'm 67) got a lot of help from the younger bucks and does.

Don't let lack of camping experience or age hold you back.

Chris
Topic Author
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

Enzo IX wrote:Wow that sounded like an amazing trip. It's on my bucket list for sure. I was just wondering if it's a trip for a person prone to motion sickness. Other than that I'm in.
None of the 28 passengers ever got motion sick on the river. The rapids only last 90 seconds at most and then things get perfectly calm and steady.

One young lady shared her lunch with us on the rather bumpy half hour flight back to Marble Canyon. :cry:

Chris
MichaelCorleone

Post by MichaelCorleone »

Hi Chris,

A couple buddies and I are planning on doing a three-day rafting trip in early August. We would be driving from Phoenix. None of us have ever done a rafting trip nor have any of us been to the Grand Canyon. Any advice that you could share would be much appreciated!
the beerdrinker

grand Canyon raft trip

Post by the beerdrinker »

Did it first 7/69 when astronauts were on the moon. Swore I'd do it again and did 6/09 with wife and 2 of our 3 kids - now young adults. Great trip, esp side canyon hikes, 70 degree pools, waterfalls, geology, vistas. A friend was with us with 2 young adult kids as well. Had to give way to the progeny esp on the hikes that required crab walking up tight side canyons with your feet on one side wall and tush on the other. Day air temp 100+ and Colorado river at 48 is a rude awakening in rapids. Best seats in rapids are up front - wild! I have a pic of wife jumping off a 15' cliff into the river - one for the ages. All agreed it was our best vacation together. Only regret was our oldest daughter and husband couldn't make it.
Youngest daughter will be on Mt Rainier this weekend practicing glacier travel and crevasse rescues. That's about a 16,000 elevation change from last year in the Canyon - cooler too.
In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
yakers

Post by yakers »

My wife & I will be rating the Colorado River in August of this year. We are kayakers (yakers=kayakers) although I prefer calmer bay waters. We have rafted the American, Ocoee & Kicking Horse Rivers but the Colorado is the 'big one'. Looking forward to the whitewater and exploring side canyons.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Sounds great. DW suggested this for vacation next year or two, so passed along this outfit to her this morning!
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Sounds amazing, and now that we live in Denver we are closer to that part of the country and can arrange some trips like this.

Did you hear about any trips that could be safe and enjoyable for a toddler?
The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. — Socrates
Mademoisellebogleheads

Post by Mademoisellebogleheads »

Do you know how to swim?
What if you fall out of the water?

:P
Mademoisellebogleheads

Post by Mademoisellebogleheads »

Sorry I was too excited and mis-typed

I meant to say,

Do you have to know how to swim?
How do you use the bathroom in the canyon?
fishndoc

Post by fishndoc »

Chris,
Great trip! Sounds like the only thing missing was a fly rod. :)

Too bad more Americans don't take advantage of really getting outdoors (vs. just driving through our National Parks).
We would almost certainly end up with a lot more conservationists.

Wayne
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Mademoisellebogleheads wrote:Sorry I was too excited and mis-typed

I meant to say,

Hi,
I rafted the GC on a twelve day trip some years ago. The safety rules that we followed was everyone, the guides included, wore a PFD at all times in the raft. Those PFDs will keep your head out of the water with no problem. I know because I went in the water on purpose on occasion to cool off from the hot summer temperature.

As far as toilets are concerned, we used a porta potty for number two and the river for number one. On the trip I took, no one got hurt or sick. The guides were excellent and followed good safety and environmental guidelines.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Mademoisellebogleheads wrote:Sorry I was too excited and mis-typed

I meant to say,

If I fall out of the water I guess I learned to fly.

:)

If I fall out of the boat I get wet.

:)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Hexdump

I am interested in the swimming ability

Post by Hexdump »

as well.

My DW wants to do a rafting trip and she can't swim.
I have rafted a few California rivers before but not the GC and I am nervous about her falling in and panicking.

Maybe we can buy a PFD, I could throw her into a nearby stream, and see how she handles it.

What are your opinions on this ?

thanks,
hex
JMacDonald

Re: I am interested in the swimming ability

Post by JMacDonald »

Hexdump wrote:as well.

My DW wants to do a rafting trip and she can't swim.
I have rafted a few California rivers before but not the GC and I am nervous about her falling in and panicking.

Maybe we can buy a PFD, I could throw her into a nearby stream, and see how she handles it.

What are your opinions on this ?

thanks,
hex
Hi,
Get a proper fitting PFD and have your wife jump into a swimming pool. She will see that the PFD will do the job that it is designed to do. I am not a strong swimmer, but I have complete confidence in the PFD that I use for kayaking.

BTW, on the trip I took rafting the GC, the only person to fall in the water unintentionally was the guide. It actually was very amusing. He fell out of a paddle raft and ended up swimming lava falls, the biggest rapid on the trip. He survived and was the envy of everyone on the trip.
Best Wishes, | Joe
gasman

Re: Back from Grand Canyon rafting trip

Post by gasman »

Reviving this thread because We are planning on going. I was concerned about it being too hot in the summer to enjoy. Anybody want to comment on best time of year weather wise for this trip?
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

Fall is nice, as it cools off (a bit, can still be 100F in late Sep!), making some hikes more doable. I believe they run commercial trips through September. If you go in the peak of summer it will be hot, but the water is always cool and in the low humidity it's not hard to stay comfortable - consider sleeping on the rafts though. Winter is dry suit time and only private trips, you won't see the sun much.

If you're going for more than a week or so, I'd consider picking up your own PFD prior, may be more comfortable if you're going to be wearing it all day.

Any time, any way you'll have a blast.

Edited to directly address your question: It will be hot as blazes in the summer, but you can stay pretty comfy by wearing long sleeves and dipping in the water every so often - evaporative cooling will have you shivering in 100 degrees. Sleeping is when it's tough - much cooler on the rafts, or maybe consider sleeping outside of a tent on a cot. No reason not to go - appreciating the importance of water in that dry, dry landscape is part of what makes it cool.
Minot

Post by Minot »

gasman wrote:Reviving this thread because We are planning on going. I was concerned about it being too hot in the summer to enjoy. Anybody want to comment on best time of year weather wise for this trip?
Yes! I've been twice, the 1st time, in the 70's, was in July. You can keep cool while on the river by wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts (I discovered this because I got sun-burned the 1st day out), but hikes are hot. Waaay better was my 2nd trip in 1998, in October, a 16 day oar powered trip with Canyon Expeditions. Not only because the temperature was more reasonable, but because 1)we pretty much had the river to ourselves--our group really bonded; 2)with oar-power and no other nearby groups, the sounds and silences of the river took over; and 3) the sun, which was pretty much overhead in July came at an angle in October, so that the light seemed almost to emanate from the canyon walls.
Jack

Post by Jack »

gasman wrote:Reviving this thread because We are planning on going. I was concerned about it being too hot in the summer to enjoy. Anybody want to comment on best time of year weather wise for this trip?
The best months are April, May, September and October. June, July and August are brutally hot. The river is always available for cooling off, but the best parts of a Canyon trip are the side hikes and that can be difficult when it is over 100 degrees.

I have led trips both rowing and kayaking. Book as many days as you can afford because that allows more time to hike and explore the side canyons. I've spent as long as four weeks on the river and it still never seems enough. If you can afford the time, take a rowing trip over a motorized trip. It is a much more serene experience.

Keep in mind that a raft trip is more like car camping with a pickup truck than it is like backpacking. They can haul literally anything you want to carry, including several cases of beer, wine or whiskey, if you like. The one thing you won't need a lot of is clothes. In the warm season you can get by with just a couple pairs of shorts and t-shirts. You can rinse them out each day in the river and they will dry in a very short time. Take lightweight nylon pants and long sleeved shirt for sun protection. Take a wide brimmed hat and a spare. Tennie runners and a pair of Teva type sandals is fine for footwear -- lightweight hikers if you need ankle support.

Bring lots of moisturizing lotion and hand balm, more than you expect. The dry Canyon air and the river clay suck the moisture out of the skin of your hands and feet. People can become literally crippled with painful skin cracking right down to weeping flesh. Really grease up your feet every night and put on a pair of sleeping socks to keep your sleeping bag clean. Take a tube of superglue to seal up cracks in your fingers, toes and heels.

(Interestingly, I had three anesthesiologists on my last trip.)
LiketoHike

Post by LiketoHike »

My wife and I did the 6 day Grand Canyon with Western River in late August / early September of this year. Late Summer is considered monsoon season and when most of the rain occurs. We had one day of crazy rain and it actually got chilly - all the women were shivering and had to get under the tarp. We preferred to sleep outside of the tent under the stars which was truly incredible, but got woken up 3 nights by a thunderstorm and had to seek shelter in the tent. Dinner also got rained out twice. We definitely plan on going again, but next time will do so in late June or early July during the dry time.

It is no problem if you don't know how to swim because you are required to wear a PFD (which they provide) any time you are on the boat. If, by chance you did fall in, all you would have to do is let the PFD do its thing and float until the guides pulled you in. No skill required. More incentive to hold on tight in the rapids. :D

Definitely bring quality rain gear. I know it seems crazy to think of wearing rain gear when it is 100 degrees outside and sunny, but the water is COLD.....and I mean COLD year round. You WILL get wet on the boat whether you sit in the chicken coop or down front and you really need the rain gear whether it rains or not. The moment you stop for lunch or break camp you will want to take it off, but when you are on the boat it is actually a comfort and you don't overheat at all.

I would also recommend sleeping outside. Can't even describe how awesome the night sky is in the canyon. It is also cooler than in the tent.

My wife was a little nervous about going because she is such a non-camper...... she loves her shower/blowdryer/air conditioning, etc, but she also had a wonderful time. She would cackle with joy in the rapids, slept in awe under the stars every night (which she swore she wouldn't do) and bathed in the frigid water more than anyone else on the trip. She was a trooper.

The guides do an incredible job and Western has this down to an art. The logistics are down to the finest detail and the food is incredible. I think I even gained weight on the trip.

I haven't even mentioned the canyon itself. Seeing the canyon from the rivers perspective is just awe-inspiring. Every bend of the river is more incredible than the last. I can't even describe it with any justice. Just amazing and so beautiful.

Oh.....and one last recommendation: Beware the ravens!! They are very intelligent and cunning (magnificent birds!), but they work in teams and will get inside your duffle bag (whether zipped or not)...... they will take everything out and fly away with anything tasty or shiny. Believe me!

The trip is incredible.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Took my family on the oar powered trip from Page, AZ to Phantom Ranch. Used OARS and was very pleased with them. My wife wanted to do it for her 50th birthday and our sons thought it was a dumb idea. A few days into the trip, the (then) 15 year old said, "I hope when I am older I can afford to take my family on a trip like this".

You do have to be fit for this trip as you need to hike the Bright Angel trail from Phantom Ranch to the South Rim. 10 miles and a vertical mile of climb.

As others have mentioned, the canyon side hikes are one of the best aspects. Saw native American ruins in the Unkar delta and vestiges of the Powell Expedition.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Thanks for posting this. I think I just found our summer vacation!
widestance

Post by widestance »

I've done the 4-day GC through Western River Expeditions a number of years ago.
Really a fantastic trip.

Since I went during the summer sleeping was a bit rough due the heat.
At that time of the year, they provide you with a sleeping pad and a sheet.
You basically soak the sheet in the river, wrap it around you and let the evaporative process keep you cool and sleep under the stars.
There might have been a tent (i can't remember) but it would've been too hot to sleep in.

I'd really like to do this one again, but Mt. Kilimanjaro is on my itinerary next year :)
Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face - Mike Tyson
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

widestance wrote:I'd really like to do this one again, but Mt. Kilimanjaro is on my itinerary next year :)
I have climbed Kili as well. We did the 8 day Machame - Mweka route with guides from Zara. Which route are you doing?
widestance

Post by widestance »

dickenjb wrote:
widestance wrote:I'd really like to do this one again, but Mt. Kilimanjaro is on my itinerary next year :)
I have climbed Kili as well. We did the 8 day Machame - Mweka route with guides from Zara. Which route are you doing?
Hitting it from the west. Lemosho up, Mweka down.
Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face - Mike Tyson