OT: Taylor and Battle of Bulge

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mayoman

OT: Taylor and Battle of Bulge

Post by mayoman »

Taylor,
If I recall correctly you were involved in the Battle of the Bulge and at Bastogne. My father passed away last week-he was a B-29 pilot flying in the Pacific Theater based with the 39th on Guam. Before he died I had several days to speak one on one with him about the war. He, like most of you heroes, was always reluctant to talk about his experiences. I found out during our conversation that he had a brother who was also involved in the Battle of the Bulge and possibly at Bastogne. He seemed to remember he was with a group called the "Blackhawks" which was a special forces group trained in skiing and mountaineering. I can't find much information concerning this group and was wondering if you could shed any light. I doubt if you encountered my uncle but it would be a small world if you had. I don't know how to get you his name without posting here which I would prefer not to do. My father was buried with full honor guard, taps, and twenty-one gun salute which is no less than every man who dons the uniform deserves. I was very proud to say the least.
jej

Re: OT: Taylor and Battle of Bulge

Post by jej »

mayoman wrote:Taylor,
..... He seemed to remember he was with a group called the "Blackhawks" which was a special forces group trained in skiing and mountaineering. I can't find much information concerning this group and was wondering if you could shed any light. ......
http://www.86blackhawkdiv.org/

jej
hudson

Post by hudson »

Topic Author
mayoman

Post by mayoman »

Dad must have been somewhat confused in the late stages of his illness. The Black Hawks were not involved in the Battle of the Bulge since that occured in late 1944 and Jan 1945. The Black Hawks arrived in Europe in March 1945 it seems. It doesn't seem that they were a "special forces" unit. Anyway thanks for all the help, will try to find out which it was that my uncle participated in--the "Black Hawks" or the Battle of the Bulge. My hat is still off to all who serve.
Taylor Larimore

The Battle of Bastogne

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Mayoman:

When we were surrounded by the Germans in Bastogne, Belgium in December, 1944, our general mimographed this letter to his troops (It's now one of our Freedom Documents):
24 December 1944

What's Merry about all this, you ask? We're fighting - it's cold - we aren't home. All true but what has the proud Eagle Division accomplished with its worthy comrades of the 10th Armored Division, the 705th Tank Destroyer Battalion and all the rest? just this: We have stopped cold everything that has been thrown at us from the North, East, South and West. We have identifications from four German Panzer Divisions, two German Infantry Divisions and one German Parachute Division. These units, spearheading the last desperate German lunge, were headed straight west for key points when the Eagle Division was hurriedly ordered to stem the advance. How effectively this was done will be written in history; not alone in our Division's glorious history but in World history. The Germans actually did surround us. their radios blared our doom. Their Commander demanded our surrender in the following impudent arrogance.

December 22nd 1944
To the U. S. A. Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne.

The fortune of war is changing. This time the U. S. A. forces in and near Bastogne have been encircled by strong German armored units. More German armored units have crossed the river Ourthe near Ortheuville, have taken Marche and reached St. Hubert by passing through Hombres Sibret-Tillet. Libramont is in German hands.

There is only one possibility to save the encircled U. S. A. Troops from total annihilation: that is the honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with the presentation of this note.

If this proposal should be rejected one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A. A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U. S. A. Troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hours term.

All the serious civilian losses caused by this Artillery fire would not correspond with the well known American humanity.

The German Commander

The German Commander received the following reply:

22 December 1944
To the German Commander:

NUTS!

The American Commander

Allied Troops are counterattacking in force. We continue to hold Bastogne. By holding Bastogne we assure the success of the Allied Armies. We know that our Division Commander, General Taylor, will say: Well Done!

We are giving our country and our loved ones at home a worthy Christmas present and being privileged to take part in this gallant feat of arms are truly making for ourselves a Merry Christmas.

A. C. McAuliffe
I underlined the other forces McAuliffe listed. Blackhawks are not mentioned and I don't recall being in touch with that Division. I did not know your Uncle or your Dad. However, your caring message tells me that they must have been very proud of you.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Hi,
Your uncle may have been in the 10th Mountain Division: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10th_Mount ... ed_States)
Best Wishes, | Joe
hudson

Post by hudson »

mayoman: "he was a B-29 pilot flying in the Pacific Theater based with the 39th on Guam."

Info on the 39th Bomb Group.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... group+guam

My dad was a navigator on heavy bombers in the Aleutians.
jej

Post by jej »

mayoman wrote:....... will try to find out which it was that my uncle participated in--the "Black Hawks" or the Battle of the Bulge. My hat is still off to all who serve.
If you can find his DD214 [that's his discharge papers] you might get a lead on this.

I don't know how detailed his is, but some have a lot of info. For instance, it will show all of his awards. Well, at least all of his American awards. I don't know if it will show his foreign awards. It will also show, at least, the unit he was in when discharged.

Between the unit info and the awards, you can find out a lot about his time in service.

Besides, you need the DD214 to get whatever VA benefits are available.

jej
Hexdump

Taylor, for what it's worth.

Post by Hexdump »

When we were on a recent vacation in Belgium, we came upon some middle aged local folks outside a supermarket, chatting away.
We introduced ourselves asking for directions and they surprised us by thanking the U.S. for what we did in WWII.

Just thought I would pass that along. Apparently, some still remember what happened and teach it to their young.

hex
Taylor Larimore

The real heros

Bogleheads:

We must never forget:

The real heros of World War II (and other wars) are those who never came back. And some who did. A few years ago I went into a severly disabled ward at our VA hospital. It was so sad I went into the bathroom and cried.
mickeyd

Re: The real heros

Post by mickeyd »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

We must never forget:

The real heros of World War II (and other wars) are those who never came back. And some who did. A few years ago I went into a severly disabled ward at our VA hospital. It was so sad I went into the bathroom and cried.
Taylor, your experiences are reflected in my own visits to Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio to visit severely injured heroes from the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

One does not ever forget a visit to a soldier who has burns over almost 100% of his body.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Topic Author
mayoman

WWII

Post by mayoman »

Thank you all for the kind help. My father's bomb group and his crew is documented on 39th.org and I have just about all his history listed there. I have his medals and now his flag from the burial which will be proudly displayed in my home. The trouble I am having in documenting my uncle's experiences is there was apparently a big fire in St. Louis in the 70's which destroyed numerous military records including my father's and my uncle's (his brother). We were lucky enough to have my father's original discharge papers and other records but my uncle married very late in life and has no children. His wife is in a nursing home and her memory would not predispose her to knowing anything about any military records he might have had. I was using my father's memories as a launching pad for my research. I hope that each family endeavors to document the history of this and subsequent generations of warriors that gave their all for our freedom so that we can all invest in our own and our children's prosperity. Sorry for waxing nostalgic but we are losing WWII vets at a rapid rate and this history should never be lost. Again Taylor, thank you for your reply and your service.
jej

Post by jej »

To get your uncle's records, start here
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/milita ... cords.html
jej
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

I love that response.

See sig..

NUTS
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Hi,
Here is the story about "Nuts." Also a video with it: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bulge/sfea ... ge_04.html
Best Wishes, | Joe
rvander1

10th Armored Division

Post by rvander1 »

Hello,
I am an index investor and Boglehead. I have and have read most of the recommended books on this forum and invest accordingly.

I happened on this post and didn't realize Taylor Larimore's dad was in the Battle of the Bulge. This caught my interest immediately because my Dad was a doc in the 10th armored and was also in the Battle of the Bulge. He was went to Europe shortly after Cherbourg was opened as a port, and stayed there with the 10th Armored for almost two years until the war ended.
He got a bronze star (I can brag because he's my Dad and he died in 1995), and I, too, want people to know about "The Greatest Generation". My father came home from the war with TB and had half his right lung removed, then recovered at the Raybrook TB sanitarium, before resuming his medical career. As is the case with most real war veterans, he never liked to talk about it much an certainly never glorified the experience. Still, during the final years of his life (he died of Alzheimer's in 1995) he seemed to want to talk about the war when he could barely remember who I was. He was insistant that the war media got it wrong and that the 10th armored was not given the credit it deserved when it took the town of Metz (sp). I have been meaning to look into this-- does anyone know about the taking of the town of Metz?
Regardless, I feel fortunate to have grown up with "The Greatest Generation" as my role models. --This is not meant to take away anything from those who serve today-they too are heros, but the WWII vets are mostly gone, but should never be forgotten.

Bob
rvander1

10th Armored Division

Post by rvander1 »

Oops,
I think I goofed!

Taylor it was YOU who was in the Battle of the Bulge- not your dad! My congrats to you!
Who knows you and my Dad were probably quite near each other during that battle.
Bob
Topic Author
mayoman

Post by mayoman »

jej wrote:To get your uncle's records, start here
jej
Jej,

I have already been to this site and do not and cannot get his service number nor social security number. As I replied my aunt is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's so any of those records are unobtainable. Any place else I could begin?
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

"Nuts!" is one of the greatest quotes in American history. I can almost picture the German commander scratching his head wondering what it meant. He found out soon enough.
jej

Post by jej »

mayoman wrote:
jej
Jej,

I have already been to this site and do not and cannot get his service number nor social security number. As I replied my aunt is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's so any of those records are unobtainable. Any place else I could begin?
You don't have his social? You don't need the aunt's memory, just a piece of paper. No tax returns, no bank accounts, nothing like that? No former employer who would be sympathetic, no medical records [they used to be plastered with SSN] , no death certificate, no mortgage application? No social security survivor benefits going to your aunt? Hmmmmmmmm..... dig deeper.

maybe a few things to try in the meantime:

1. Every county in the country [small counties partner up with neighbors] has a county rep for veterans benefits. They used to, anyway. Worth a call.

2. VFW and American Legion both have guys that work on benefits issues. Not sure, but I think they will work on behalf of any vet, member or not.

3. Write your congressman. Snail mail works best. Nothing like a call from a congresscritter to get a VA employee jumping.

All of these - your hook is both to find his record and to find VA benefits that may accrue to his estate and to his widow, who is not capable of tracking it down herself. There might be something available for her. Not sure, I just seem to recall reading about it a while ago. I've not had the need, so I am really unclear on this.

The VFW/Am Legion types will be sympathetic to you [and the widow] just wanting to figure his war record, pay the respect due him, and like that.

jej
Learn2earn

Post by Learn2earn »

So, Mr. Taylor,

How does it feel to be one of the men who saved the world?

I am sincere, since it is true these men and women literally saved the world. It must be an incredbile thought to carry, knowing your place in afterlife is secure and the entire world as it is has a debt to you and your generation.

Because of the WWII folks, I woke up in a free country and not under a swastika
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

My father in law served in WW2. The stories he has being on Iwo Jima. His start from a small small town in California to how he worked his way across the US during training. Then being stationed in Hawaii. He never will set a foot on a boat again. The last time he did was during WW2 :) Refuses to take any cruises.

My wife and MIL will go shop. I love to hear the stories even if they are the same ones. What a life. That man certainly has my respect.

He served in the Army Air Corps.
Taylor Larimore

How does it feel?

So, Mr. Taylor, How does it feel to be one of the men who saved the world?
At the end of the movie, Saving Private Ryan, an elderly veteran returns to France to visit the grave of his World War II paratrooper buddy. The old man asks his family to leave him alone at the grave. Then he quietly speaks to his friend:

"We fought to make this a better world. I've tried not to let you down."
Learn2earn

Post by Learn2earn »

Amen
potto0213

Post by potto0213 »

My uncle was killed in the Normandy invasion (Omaha Beach). He died before I was born but from all accounts he was a great guy. I visted the American Cemetary with my mother (his sister) in 1990. It was truly an emotional experience. My sincere gratitude to him and all who served in the Great War and those who have followed.
Topic Author
mayoman

Post by mayoman »

jej wrote:
mayoman wrote:
jej
Jej,

You don't have his social? You don't need the aunt's memory, just a piece of paper. No tax returns, no bank accounts, nothing like that? No former employer who would be sympathetic, no medical records [they used to be plastered with SSN] , no death certificate, no mortgage application? No social security survivor benefits going to your aunt? Hmmmmmmmm..... dig deeper.

maybe a few things to try in the meantime:

1. Every county in the country [small counties partner up with neighbors] has a county rep for veterans benefits. They used to, anyway. Worth a call.

2. VFW and American Legion both have guys that work on benefits issues. Not sure, but I think they will work on behalf of any vet, member or not.

3. Write your congressman. Snail mail works best. Nothing like a call from a congresscritter to get a VA employee jumping.

All of these - your hook is both to find his record and to find VA benefits that may accrue to his estate and to his widow, who is not capable of tracking it down herself. There might be something available for her. Not sure, I just seem to recall reading about it a while ago. I've not had the need, so I am really unclear on this.

The VFW/Am Legion types will be sympathetic to you [and the widow] just wanting to figure his war record, pay the respect due him, and like that.

jej
Jej,

Thank you for your help and comments once again. I will attempt this approach. As I said earlier it is important to not let the history die as these heroes pass on.
marco100

Post by marco100 »

mayoman:

Call up a process server in your area (i.e. a company that serves summonses and subpoenas) and ask them how much it would cost to do a skip trace on your uncle. It might be $50 - $100 or something like that. Give them all the info you have on him, addresses, phone numbers, etc., and there's a good chance they will be able to provide you with his SSN and/or date of birth and perhaps additional information that would be helpful to you.
graveday

Re: How does it feel?

Post by graveday »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
So, Mr. Taylor, How does it feel to be one of the men who saved the world?
At the end of the movie, Saving Private Ryan, an elderly veteran returns to France to visit the grave of his World War II paratrooper buddy. The old man asks his family to leave him alone at the grave. Then he quietly speaks to his friend:

"We fought to make this a better world. I've tried not to let you down."
I'll bet you cried then too, Taylor. Ask me how I know.
Taylor Larimore

OK, I'll ask

Graveday:

How do you know?
Ziggy75

Post by Ziggy75 »

To Taylor:

Have you read and/or watched the movie series "Band of Brothers"?
Taylor Larimore

Band of Brothers

Hi Ziggy:

Yes, I watched "Band of Brothers." It was well done.
Valuethinker

Re: Band of Brothers

Post by Valuethinker »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Hi Ziggy:

I suspect that no one who has never been in combat can really understand, nor depict, what it's actually like to be in combat.

There are movies which are deemed to be pretty realistic. 'Glory' about the 42nd Massachussets, a black regiment in the American Civil War got very good reviews from military historians. 'The Trench' about a British unit about to go over the top at the first day at the Somme. Parts of 'Full Metal Jacket' (the scriptwriter, Michael Herr, wrote some of the best journalistic pieces about Vietnam in his book 'Despatches' in particular the one about Khe Sanh 'Hell S-cks'). The first moments of 'Saving Private Ryan' of course. I would add Sam Peckinpah's 'Cross of Iron' and some of the scenes in the German film 'Stalingrad'.

Needless to say not all veterans agree. I've read as many who hate 'Despatches' as who love it. Some love 'All Quiet on the Western Front' and some vastly prefer 'Storm of Steel' (both written by Germans in WWI, but one fiercely anti-war, one seems to glory in it). Some prefer James Webb's 'Fields of Fire' to 'Despatches'.

Another Kubrick film (along with Full Metal Jacket) about war that is strongly resonant (ie feels truthful even if it is not) is 'Paths to Glory' about a trumped up trial for cowardice in the First World War.

SLA Marshall's research has been subsequently strongly criticized, but books like 'Night Drop', 'Battles in the Monsoon' and 'The River and the Valley' do capture a reality of war as best as writing can do. See also Bernard Fall, who wrote 2 of the best books about Vietnam (Street without Joy and Hell in a Very Small Place, the latter about Dien Bin Phu).

Journalists like Ernie Pile and John Steinbeck wrote (heavily censored) accounts of fighting in WWII which are very well written. The latter's 'The Moon is Down' is a propaganda piece, was controversial for portraying the Germans as human beings, but depicts a (Norwegian) town under military occupation in an utterly gripping way. One of those books that sits on my bookshelf and I just run my fingers over for the joy of owning it and having read it.

The cartoonist Doonesbury (Gary Trudeau) has won a medal for his realistic portrayals of certain aspects of army life: the hell of rehab post amputation and other issues such as abuse in the Army, camp life etc. The strips of the week (19th April 2004) when the character BD is ambushed in Iraq is one that will live with readers forever.

There is a book 'Generation Kill' about the first days of the Second Iraqi War that has a resonance. Critical questions in combat like 'where do you go to the bathroom?' The senseless death of civilians in the crossfire.

But you cannot recapture, on screen or even in writing, the smell, the fear, the sheer horror of it.

That, at least, is what I conclude from reading about war, and from watching interviews with veterans.
JMacDonald

Re: Band of Brothers

Post by JMacDonald »

Valuethinker wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:Hi Ziggy:

I suspect that no one who has never been in combat can really understand, nor depict, what it's actually like to be in combat.

There are movies which are deemed to be pretty realistic. 'Glory' about the 42nd Massachussets, a black regiment in the American Civil War got very good reviews from military historians. 'The Trench' about a British unit about to go over the top at the first day at the Somme. Parts of 'Full Metal Jacket' (the scriptwriter, Michael Herr, wrote some of the best journalistic pieces about Vietnam in his book 'Despatches' in particular the one about Khe Sanh 'Hell S-cks'). The first moments of 'Saving Private Ryan' of course. I would add Sam Peckinpah's 'Cross of Iron' and some of the scenes in the German film 'Stalingrad'.

Needless to say not all veterans agree. I've read as many who hate 'Despatches' as who love it. Some love 'All Quiet on the Western Front' and some vastly prefer 'Storm of Steel' (both written by Germans in WWI, but one fiercely anti-war, one seems to glory in it). Some prefer James Webb's 'Fields of Fire' to 'Despatches'.

Another Kubrick film (along with Full Metal Jacket) about war that is strongly resonant (ie feels truthful even if it is not) is 'Paths to Glory' about a trumped up trial for cowardice in the First World War.

SLA Marshall's research has been subsequently strongly criticized, but books like 'Night Drop', 'Battles in the Monsoon' and 'The River and the Valley' do capture a reality of war as best as writing can do. See also Bernard Fall, who wrote 2 of the best books about Vietnam (Street without Joy and Hell in a Very Small Place, the latter about Dien Bin Phu).

Journalists like Ernie Pile and John Steinbeck wrote (heavily censored) accounts of fighting in WWII which are very well written. The latter's 'The Moon is Down' is a propaganda piece, was controversial for portraying the Germans as human beings, but depicts a (Norwegian) town under military occupation in an utterly gripping way. One of those books that sits on my bookshelf and I just run my fingers over for the joy of owning it and having read it.

The cartoonist Doonesbury (Gary Trudeau) has won a medal for his realistic portrayals of certain aspects of army life: the hell of rehab post amputation and other issues such as abuse in the Army, camp life etc. The strips of the week (19th April 2004) when the character BD is ambushed in Iraq is one that will live with readers forever.

There is a book 'Generation Kill' about the first days of the Second Iraqi War that has a resonance. Critical questions in combat like 'where do you go to the bathroom?' The senseless death of civilians in the crossfire.

But you cannot recapture, on screen or even in writing, the smell, the fear, the sheer horror of it.

That, at least, is what I conclude from reading about war, and from watching interviews with veterans.
Hi,
Here is another film about war that is a different take on it: http://www.criterion.com/films/817-the-burmese-harp
Best Wishes, | Joe
cuse51

502nd PIR

Post by cuse51 »

Mr Larimore,
My brotherinlaw had an uncle who never married. When the uncle died in 2004 he found a small box in a closet. In the box where patches, ribbons, citations, and discharge papers showing that William A Conklin was a light machinegunner in 3/502 pir "G" company. He had six battle stars, jumped at Normandy and fought all the way to Germany. There was a Purple Heart eith 2 Oak leaf clusters, A Bronze Star, and a Distinguished Service Cross.
The DSC citation read that it was for actions in the battle for Best, Holland on Sept 18 and 19( Market Garden) where he was wounded 3 times while taking out a machine gun, 20mm gun, 40 enemy and aiding in the capture of 475. Was this your unit? Does this name ring a bell? He never told anyone in his family of his wartime experience. God bess you and all the members of the Greatest Generation(my Dad too USN, USS Memphis). You set quite a standard for us all.
dc
btenny

Post by btenny »

Taylor your visit to the Vet Hospital mirrors mine. I only went once and it bothered me for weeks. It is also why I now direct a sizeable donation every year to the Diabled Vets in the hope of improving some of those guys lives.

Thanks for your service.

Bill
graveday

Re: OK, I'll ask

Post by graveday »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Graveday:

How do you know?
I'm laughing now, but I never saw that movie, and I choked up at the quote you referenced. I don't really know, of course. Did you?

The sentiment in that quote hits me hard.
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

This is a long shot but when I was discharged 10 years ago we were told to make a copy of our dd214 and file a copy at the local courthouse. You may want to check there for your uncle's. It is doubtful that this was a common occurrence with those discharged after WW2 but who knows.

saladdin
MWCA

Re: OK, I'll ask

Post by MWCA »

graveday wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:Graveday:

How do you know?
I'm laughing now, but I never saw that movie, and I choked up at the quote you referenced. I don't really know, of course. Did you?

The sentiment in that quote hits me hard.
Pretty cheap to rent it. Really worth your time. Well done.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Taylor Larimore: "The real heros of World War II (and other wars) are those who never came back."

I've gone through cycles during my life reading about WW2 in Europe; I've known and talked to a many veterans of Africa, Europe, the Aleutians, and the Japanese theater during that time. Most of my childhood friend's fathers were WW2 vets. I could go on with their stories...but I'll be brief.

What I learned was that an infantryman who started at D Day or about D Day had a very little chance of surviving the war unhurt. Maybe his best chance of living was to be wounded bad enougth to have to leave the war zone. I believe that an infantry division had around 5000 or so infantrymen. Line divisions were constantly losing all of their infantrymen and had to replace them. These divisions went through several cycles during the war. Many of those that I knew that survived the war graduated from high school late in the war in 1944 or 1945. They arrived in Europe as replacements or in the newer divisions. One infantryman that I knew wrote a book....available only locally. Since I knew him, I purchased it when it came out. He was a member of the 28th Infantry Division. He wrote very humbly about his experiences as a machine gun ammo bearer. He landed just after D Day. He mentionned that he knew of extremely few others who survived. He said that every time they tried to promote him, he turned it down...he just wanted to be an ammo bearer. He shows shows a picture of his division marching by the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. He believes that he's in the picture somewhere. He said that they were the only division in history to be in a battle with the enemy, then to be formed up and march in a parade; then to go right back on the attack. Another gentleman still living was in the 99th Infantry Division during the beginning of the Battle of the Bulge. He talked about surviving a German artillery barrage; before that day was over, he said that he got frostbite; when he recovered they assigned him to the Army Air Corps.

The 28th Infantry division just out of battle march through Paris:
http://www.corbisimages.com/images/67/A ... 001094.jpg
woof755

Post by woof755 »

This is a topic that moves me emotionally, makes me feel like I should express myself, but leaves me unsure what to say that hasn't been said. I know this, though: what was done by Mr. Larimore and thousands and thousands of others simply will never be forgotten. I think we can put that notion to bed.

So many thanks, to all who have served.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

woof755 wrote:This is a topic that moves me emotionally, makes me feel like I should express myself, but leaves me unsure what to say that hasn't been said. I know this, though: what was done by Mr. Larimore and thousands and thousands of others simply will never be forgotten. I think we can put that notion to bed.

So many thanks, to all who have served.
Indeed...thanks to all who have served.
jbny2076

Post by jbny2076 »

I to have been captivated by WWII and those who fought.

My grandfather fought at The Bulge.

Barkley, Michael W. HQ, 80th Infantry Division, G.O. No. 137 (1945)

I was given all his medals from my dad recently. I do know he has two purple hearts, a silver star and a bronze star. I am in the process of trying to get his military records to find out what the citations are for. He also has some german medals and other things that he took off of soldiers he had killed. One was a skull and crossbones from a Captain in the SS Brigade. I think me getting his metals was one of the best things to happen to me. It has given me a drive to not only find out more about him but his service and the overall war in general. There are some fascinating and heroic stories to be told about WWII along with a lot of heartache.

So a big thanks to those who fought. It truly was a war to save humanity from the ruthlessness of Hitler.
kuttolas

Post by kuttolas »

A co-worker once told me a very moving account of her Grandfather who served in WW2, which I hope is appropriate to reproduce here.

My co-worker was watching the movie "Saving Private Ryan" with her grandfather. Few minutes into the movie, which began with the invasion of Normandy beach, her Grandfather broke down weeping. That's when he told his family that he was part of the force that landed at the Normandy. Nobody in his family knew about this, he had kept this to himself, including his wife all those years
Topic Author
mayoman

Military Service

Post by mayoman »

As you are aware I started this post because my father recently passed away (he was a B-29 pilot in the Pacific Theater) and before he passed, I had the wonderful opportunity to talk to him about his childhood and his service for our country. We had talked many times before but the details were often glossed over. As most of you know the heroes of WWII are very seldom self-serving. The post was originally to find information about his brother ( my uncle) but my research has morphed somewhat. I recently found all the documentation on my father's crash on Guam that resulted in his being awarded a Purple Heart. During that search I learned that one of his crewman (Sgt.) was awarded the Soldiers Medal for Heroism pertaining to his actions in that crash. In finding the narratives of these actions in the crewman's own words he clearly stated that not only he, but my father, and one other crewman ran back to the burning airplane after escaping to rescue other trapped crewman. I have since contacted the Senator from my state and they are assisting me in petitioning for a posthumous award of the same medal for my dad. Wish me luck in this quest, because my father would have never told anyone of this act of heroism--it would have been self serving. Our country needs to heed the lessons these great Americans taught us. I will continue to try and document my uncle's involvment also and deeply appreciate all the help offered.
gotherelate

Post by gotherelate »

My Dad, who died four years ago at the age of 85, was a wing gunner with the 502nd Bomb Group, 315th Wing, 20th Air Force. On my Mother's birthday in 1945, my Dad's crew went down on Saipan while flying a POW support mission. My Dad had missed the flight because of a bout of "Montezuma's revenge."

Afterward, my Dad wrote a personal condolence letter to the family of each of his fallen crew members. My Dad never talked about this and I wonder how much guilt he felt for not being with his crew that day. I also can't help but believe that his missing that flight had to be the best birthday present my Mom ever received.

-Grandpa
-Grandpa | I'd rather see where I'm going than see where I've been.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

One sad aspect of obtaining information on WWII veterans is all the 201 files went up in smoke in a fire at the St. Louis warehouse.

To quote from the /www.archives.gov/veterans/ website,..........."A fire on July 12, 1973, left the top floor of the military personnel records facility in ruins. This floor had contained some 22 million personnel folders, filed alphabetically, for U.S. Army personnel discharged from 1912 through 1959 and of the U.S. Air Force discharged from September 1947 through 1963. "

"Since 1973, NPRC has obtained alternative sources of documents to verify the dates of individual military service and the character of separation for many of the veterans whose files were destroyed. Among these are final pay records, enlistment registers from induction stations, an index of World War II service numbers and dates they were assigned, morning reports, unit rosters, and discharge orders."

DW and I ran into this in trying to track down information on her WWII Army nurse mother. There was some admin type info from the "alternate sources" but it didn't amount to much.

We did find a guy in St Louis where records are kept who did dig up what there was for us. If you have a similar interest, PM me and I will send you his name.
JW