Which Wireless Router?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Chuck T

Which Wireless Router?

Post by Chuck T »

Like many of you, I have a home network. It consisting of 2 laptops, 1 netbook, 1 wireless printer and an ancient desktop PC. My current router is a DLink DI-634M. It is behaving badly and I have started the review process on a replacement router.

At this point I am considering the DLink DIR-655 and the Trendnet TEW-633 GR.

Anyone have these routers? If so, why did you choose that model, how difficult was it to install and would you purchase the same model again today?

If not any of those 2 models, what do you use, and how does it perform?

Thanks for your help. I have read most of the online reviews of wireless routers.

Chuck
strafe

Post by strafe »

I would buy whichever is cheaper. In my experience consumer-grade routers are relatively uniform in quality.

The security schemes of the newer routers are nice, but remember that your network is limited by the lowest common denominator. Your wireless adapter ancient desktop PC or printer might not support the latest standards. Mixed networks of B/G/N reduce the speed of the faster devices compared to N-only networks. You won't notice with internet use since B & G are likely faster than your internet connection, but you will notice with peer-to-peer file transfers on your home network.
norookie

Post by norookie »

Research Linksys,(they've 2 diffrent strength wireless routers afaik) some modums* for the 3 service bundles offering tv-phone+internet now incorporate the wireless right in the modum. Verizion does. Hope that helps. good luck!
northend

Post by northend »

I just bought a Linksys WRT54GL, and it seems to be working OK so far.

I bought it since Amazon had a bunch of positive reviews for it, the price was right, and I didn't need higher performance.
Last edited by northend on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
pochax

Post by pochax »

i bought a belkin wireless-n router from tigerdirect.com and has been working very well compared to my old linksys-g router (fewer dropped signals and better range). consider wireless-n over g if you are considering an upgrade anytime in the future. dlink and netgrear are very popular but i can tell you that i had an old netgear-g card for my desktop that wouldn't work well with xp windows network managing so i try to stay away from netgear.
soaring

Post by soaring »

I've been using the Linksys WRT54G for so many years I can't remember but at least 7 yrs. Many other recent write-ups and threads here still pick this model as the way to go. I'm sure satisfied.
Desiderata
tfb

Post by tfb »

Although it's not a mainstream brand, I've had very good experience with ZyXEL routers. The price is about the same as a Linksys, Netgear or D-Link. The quality is much better. It just runs forever without any need for rebooting.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I have both Linksys and Buffalo. They both perform pretty much the same in terms of speed and reliability. The Buffalo seems to have much better range than the Linksys.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

soaring wrote:I've been using the Linksys WRT54G for so many years I can't remember but at least 7 yrs. Many other recent write-ups and threads here still pick this model as the way to go. I'm sure satisfied.
Ditto for me. I got it so many years ago I can't remember, but it was the state of the art at the time. Still works like a charm (knock on wood).
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
newerguy

Post by newerguy »

WRT54GL
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

I want to thank everyone for their input.

I haven't heard from anyone with a Trendnet Router. I guess they aren't as widely used.

While most of my computers are running under XP I do have a newer one that runs Vista Home Premium. I realize the operating system shouldn't make a difference. Has anyone had a problem as a result of mixed operating systems on the same wireless router?

Thanks Chuck
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Chuck T wrote:I want to thank everyone for their input.

I haven't heard from anyone with a Trendnet Router. I guess they aren't as widely used.

While most of my computers are running under XP I do have a newer one that runs Vista Home Premium. I realize the operating system shouldn't make a difference. Has anyone had a problem as a result of mixed operating systems on the same wireless router?

Thanks Chuck
No, I've used (I think) three different MS operating systems on the same network without a problem.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

Before you replace your current router, I recommend that you visit the manufacturer's website and check to see if there is a firmware upgrade available.

I bought a Linksys many years ago. When I first set it up, I experienced some bugginess (can't even remember now what the issue was). Installed a firmware upgrade and it has been rock solid ever since.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Re: Which Wireless Router?

Post by Ron »

Chuck T wrote:If not any of those 2 models, what do you use, and how does it perform?
Currently use a Linksys WRT300N (N band) on my home network, consisting of a desktop, a laptop, and a netbook.

Works fine. It replaced a Netgear box, which was heat sensitive and I constantly would lose the signal (just Google it for further info), however it was an older unit and I'll assume the problems have been addressed in newer equipment.

I run XP on the netbook, Vista Home Preimum on the other two. No problems in accessing/transfering files among any platform, per your question.

- Ron
Last edited by Ron on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

joethems1

Router

Post by joethems1 »

I second or third or fourth the WRT54GL. Been using it every day and all day for the last 5 years and never had any problems.
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

i had a Linksys and it crapped out on me after less than 2 years. it was buggy and unreliable the whole time. switched to Netgear and have been very happy. N speed is awesome and router is very reliable. will buy Netgear from now on.

also, Linksys routers have all those silly antiquated external antennas which look awful and are unnecessary - just like cell phones don't need external antennas - neither do routers. internals work great.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Chuck T wrote:I want to thank everyone for their input.

Thanks Chuck
I have XP, Vista and Linux running on one router (Linksys). I read somewhere that Linksys had reduced the memory in their routers but I don't know if this has any real impact on a typical home user. Mine is older (an 802.11G protocol).
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I think I got the one bad apple in the Linksys lineup, the WRK54G. From what I've read on the web it has some sort of cheapo chipset compared to the WRT54G.

Despite upgrading the firmware, it requires regular rebooting. Probably 3 times a week.

One of these days I'll replace it. Probably with something recommended in this thread :D .
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

[quote="House Blend"]Before you replace your current router, I recommend that you visit the manufacturer's website and check to see if there is a firmware upgrade available.

I have checked with Dlink as you suggested. The website indicates I have the latest firmware installed. Dlink told me that my router is no longer supported by them.
RabbMD

Post by RabbMD »

This many replies and no mention of tomato or DDWRT? Some routers are firmware flashable to much better ones (IE equivalent to $500 commerical ones), including linksys L series and the buffalo ones. Here is a a link to get you started.

DDWRT http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

House Blend wrote:Before you replace your current router, I recommend that you visit the manufacturer's website and check to see if there is a firmware upgrade available.

I bought a Linksys many years ago. When I first set it up, I experienced some bugginess (can't even remember now what the issue was). Installed a firmware upgrade and it has been rock solid ever since.
I checked the Dlink website and I am running the most current version of the firmware. In addition, I emailed their customer support staff. I got a return email informing me that my current router is no longer a supported product. I think it is 5 years old.
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

RabbMD wrote:This many replies and no mention of tomato or DDWRT? Some routers are firmware flashable to much better ones (IE equivalent to $500 commerical ones), including linksys L series and the buffalo ones. Here is a a link to get you started.

DDWRT http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php
Clicked on the link you suggested. Unfortunately the database does not include any entries for Dlink routers.

Thanks anyway. Chuck
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Thanks to everyone that replied. I received postitive feedback on routers from Belkin, Buffalo, Linksys, Netgear and Zytel.

The only thing I am sure of at this point is that I will get a router that supports B/G/N.

I will post information on the router I buy. Chuck
scpo

Router which one

Post by scpo »

:(
Can someone please tell how to set up this router business. I was told 3 different ways from people at Best Buy including a 2 quest people who also told a different.
I have a wireless hp l/t. My son has the high speed internet provided by Quest. His L/T is not wirless. We were told to buy the quest router along with a linksks. this didn't work. Another Quest person said all weneeded was the router and nothing for my L/T since it's wireless all I would have to do was open my wirelesswitch.
We got so frustrated we took everything back and now back where we started. He has the high speed I have the dial up.
Anyone please suggest where to go from here.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I like dual band wireless routers. I also like to be able to plug in an external hard drive or a printer.
bish0p

Post by bish0p »

Another vote for WRT54GL with DDWRT.

Very good, very stable.
ResearchMed

Re: Router which one

Post by ResearchMed »

scpo wrote::(
Can someone please tell how to set up this router business. I was told 3 different ways from people at Best Buy including a 2 quest people who also told a different.
I have a wireless hp l/t. My son has the high speed internet provided by Quest. His L/T is not wirless. We were told to buy the quest router along with a linksks. this didn't work. Another Quest person said all weneeded was the router and nothing for my L/T since it's wireless all I would have to do was open my wirelesswitch.
We got so frustrated we took everything back and now back where we started. He has the high speed I have the dial up.
Anyone please suggest where to go from here.
Try Geek Squad?

We had an old Linksys that kept dropping the signal (house is long, narrow, and old, meaning THICK walls, nothing flimsy, etc.).
And I finally decided to get a new computer, and got a medium-priced Toshiba with "home" Vista. (HATE IT! But it's functional; it will become our "back up" machine in the near future.)

We had our local Geek Squad secret agent come out, and he brought a variety of different models, and set us up with equipment from Apple (!), including a booster. The cost of that service call was CHEAP compared with the time and frustration if we had been running back and forth to try this or that or this or that.
We also set up an automatic wireless backup at the same time. It took a while to crank through all of our old files, but backing up current work is automatic and fast.

Our experience with Geek Squad has been excellent. But I suppose that depends upon whether they are available nearby and, obviously, whether the specific individuals are competent, etc.
We've decided that it is occasionally paying them to do what our IT dept *should* have been able to do for "free", but can't manage to do it right...
(I used to be a computer geek - and proud of it! - but my expertise is now usually a bit too outdated. I wish I had kept up with it. Some of my most fascinating work was in HW/SW QA when people actually looked at the code.)

But I worry about the backup being in the house. If something catastrophic happens to the house, there goes all of our equipment AND the backup.
[Yes, periodically, we do a quick incremental backup, and store that device elsewhere. I guess we are in trouble if lightening strikes just as we are doing one of those, of course. Or we could be hit by a car taking that device back to it's secure undisclosed location...]

Do any of you use remote backup services? How secure are they?
Thanks.

RM
plannerman

Post by plannerman »

FWIW, when I signed up with Bell South for DSL a few years ago they were running a promotion for a free wireless router. The unit they sent me was a Westell VersaLink Model 327W.

Quite frankly, I had never heard of Westell. The reason I'm posting this is I suspect Bell South did their homework before sourcing this wireless router. I know back in the olden days they would have

Steve--Bell Labs alumni
GrandTomato

Post by GrandTomato »

I have installed at least 10 WRT54GL routers flashed with either DDWRT or Tomato and have never had a complaint. They provide a ton of features and are rock solid.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

bish0p wrote:Another vote for WRT54GL with DDWRT.

Very good, very stable.
You would only want aftermarket firmware if there is a specific feature you don't have in the standard firmware. I expect there would be no advantage to it for 99% of users.

Paul
mikep

Post by mikep »

I have netgear, the 2.4 GHz wireless network cuts out when my 2.4 GHz wireless phone is in use. Does this happen to anyone else and how can I fix it? New phone ? I had linksys and died so I got netgear, now I see this issue with my phone.
TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex »

My cheap ($20) Buffalo router has worked perfectly for two years. It's never needed a reboot or anything.

I put DDWRT on it right away, so that might have something to do with the stability (obviously I didn't perform an experiment).
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Can someone explain to me the benefits of using DDWRT or Tomato. I have been to the website but just don't get it. I have heard claims of improved stability and functionality. But what functionality is added to a G or 108 Mimo router? Thanks Chuck
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

mikep wrote:I have netgear, the 2.4 GHz wireless network cuts out when my 2.4 GHz wireless phone is in use. Does this happen to anyone else and how can I fix it? New phone ? I had linksys and died so I got netgear, now I see this issue with my phone.

Mikep

Try moving the 2.4 ghz phone away from your router. This should help with the interference of signal.

You can buy a 5ghz phone or a new dual band router (expensive) and use the 5ghz band on the new router.

If it were me I would try moving the phone away from the router.

Good luck and let us know what happens. Chuck
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

mikep wrote:I have netgear, the 2.4 GHz wireless network cuts out when my 2.4 GHz wireless phone is in use. Does this happen to anyone else and how can I fix it? New phone ? I had linksys and died so I got netgear, now I see this issue with my phone.
The problem you're describing is a known problem, and that's the reason sales of the old 2.4ghz phones are pretty much dead in the water.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Mel - Just be sure that you have it's built-in WPA wireless security enabled. Otherwise, anyone can hop on your network. It should be in the manual.

====================

I'm using an ActionTec wireless router, supplied as part of my Verizon FiOS service. It's got an RF coax MoCA (Mutimedia Over Coax) connection for communicating to the set-top boxes. All connections are hard-wired, wireless access disabled.

- The router doesn't know about your PC's OS. Mixing Linux with Win XP or even Mac is fine.

As for the router's network drops-
If the wireless router perceives that a channel is "busy" it will try to move to another channel. Unfortunately, it sounds like the phone might be doing the same thing and the phone is winning. Note that microwave ovens operate in the same general frequency band. You'll have to either move the phone or get one that doesn't use 2.4 GHz as Chuck T suggests.

The phone may be constantly talking with its base station even though there's no call coming in. Just like a cellphone does.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
KarlJ

Post by KarlJ »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
soaring wrote:I've been using the Linksys WRT54G for so many years I can't remember but at least 7 yrs. Many other recent write-ups and threads here still pick this model as the way to go. I'm sure satisfied.
Ditto for me. I got it so many years ago I can't remember, but it was the state of the art at the time. Still works like a charm (knock on wood).
At least 5 years so far for me without a problem on the WRT54G using a shared WPA key, currently running Vista desktop, wireless printer, and XP laptop.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Chuck T wrote:Can someone explain to me the benefits of using DDWRT or Tomato. I have been to the website but just don't get it. I have heard claims of improved stability and functionality. But what functionality is added to a G or 108 Mimo router? Thanks Chuck
Depending on the router and firmware, aftermarket firmware may enable capabilities such as increased power output, the ability to create multiple lans/subnets, and the ability to ssh into the router and issue various commands to test and manipulate other network devices.

I have only limited experience with a handful of routers. My non-expert opinion is that stability is a non-issue. I've never had to reboot a router with either original or aftermarket firmware, except when "playing" with the router. I have had one router that began to exhibit odd behavior after several years, which I was never able to resolve even after replacing the firmware with various other versions.

I haven't kept up with DDWRT's legal adventures, and somewhat lost interest in using that firmware as a result of the whole GPL and proprietary software controversy. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Paul
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

Using a DLINK gamers lounge model. Has worked great for the last year or so. Dont know about your model. But I can say mine has been fine and done the job.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LadyGeek wrote:Mel - Just be sure that you have it's built-in WPA wireless security enabled. Otherwise, anyone can hop on your network. It should be in the manual.
Yep, it's been secured since day one. Thanks for your concern anyway, LG, just in case it wasn't.
boater07

Post by boater07 »

Have also used WRT54G for several years without problem. Tried above suggestion of downloading any updates and got confused. Before installing the download, I got warning that I'm affecting BIN file that could cause problems to my system.
Is it foolish to try this when I have no clue what I'm doing?
looking

Post by looking »

I have at&t dsl " sbc 2wies" works like champ
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

boater07 wrote:Have also used WRT54G for several years without problem. Tried above suggestion of downloading any updates and got confused. Before installing the download, I got warning that I'm affecting BIN file that could cause problems to my system.
Is it foolish to try this when I have no clue what I'm doing?
If you aren't having any problems, I wouldn't recommend updating.
Topic Author
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Paul

Thanks for the info on DDWRT. It has been mentioned in this thread and my research didn't do much to enhance my understanding of the benefits of this firmware.

Chuck
Eureka

Post by Eureka »

I have used Vista Home Premium, XP and Ubuntu Linux with Linksys WRT54G and WRT54GS routers and a Netgear WGT624. They all seemed to work fine. The new Draft N routers may be better, but I have no experience.

As far as scpo's router setup problem, you only need the DSL or cable modem, probably provided by the ISP, and a wireless router. Connect the router to the modem with a short Ethernet (network) cable.

The easiest way to set up the network is to configure the router first. You must do this with a computer connected to the router by Ethernet cable. The instructions will give you the default user name and password. Make sure to change the default password, because everyone knows what the default passwords are. (It has been my experience that Netgear routers need a user name and password; on Linksys routers, leave the user name blank.)

Go through each screen on the router setup. You want to enable "radio" or "wireless" and disable remote administration. Change the default SSID to something that won't identify you (NOT "Smith family router"). You can leave the SSID broadcast turned on or off. Turning it off provides next to no security.

Use the highest form of encryption that all your devices will support. WPA2 personal (AES-CCMP) is best for home users. WPA-TKIP is second-best. WEP is better than nothing but can be hacked by a semi-knowledgeable person in 15 minutes.

Use a long key (at least 25 characters) with random upper- and lower-case characters for WPA or WPA2. You don't need to remember it. Copy it into a Notepad document, put it on a flash drive, and use that to transfer it to your computers.

Now, set up each wireless device (like your laptop) using its wireless networking wizard. This is easier if you have not turned off the router's SSID broadcast. Find the router in the wizard, specify whichever kind of encryption you're using, and enter the encryption key -- ideally by copying and pasting it from the Notepad document you created when you set up the router.
Dan-Fl

Router

Post by Dan-Fl »

I use a Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N Router WNR834B
It was easy to set up and works well with a desktop XP hardwired, a Vista 64 Bit and a Windows 7 64 Bit Laptop.
The is my first Wireless router.
Dan-Fl
Mel Lindauer

Re: Router

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Dan-Fl wrote:I use a Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N Router WNR834B
It was easy to set up and works well with a desktop XP hardwired, a Vista 64 Bit and a Windows 7 64 Bit Laptop.
The is my first Wireless router.
Dan-Fl
Now you're no longer a "router virgin", Dan. :D (I remember years ago being somewhat apprehensive when I was setting up my first router and I felt a great sense of accomplishment when finally I get it all working!).
Valuethinker

Re: Which Wireless Router?

Post by Valuethinker »

Chuck T wrote:Like many of you, I have a home network. It consisting of 2 laptops, 1 netbook, 1 wireless printer and an ancient desktop PC. My current router is a DLink DI-634M. It is behaving badly and I have started the review process on a replacement router.

At this point I am considering the DLink DIR-655 and the Trendnet TEW-633 GR.

Anyone have these routers? If so, why did you choose that model, how difficult was it to install and would you purchase the same model again today?

If not any of those 2 models, what do you use, and how does it perform?

Thanks for your help. I have read most of the online reviews of wireless routers.

Chuck
off piste:

I used a Netgear Homeplug system, in a long narrow Victorian row house with thick walls and interference issues (something like 7 WiFis are visible on my PC).

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Powerli ... pters.aspx

It has worked really, really well.

From a security point of view, as long as there is a transformer box between you and another home, you should be shielded (although it's quite easy to encrypt as well).

One issue I had heard is that home AirCon may make the powerlines too 'noisy'.

Worked first time, out of the box, without any issues, which is rare for me and anything to do with a PC.
toinquire

Post by toinquire »

I upgraded from a Belkin wireless g router to a Belkin wireless n in an attempt to improve strength of signal in my son's bedroom.

The result was very disappointing. There was no improvement. Signal strength remains poor.

It is mystifying to me, since I have a simple 1955 vintage ranch, where the three bedrooms are right next to each other at one end of the house.

Why can't a Belkin wireless n router produce a strong signal to a room that is kitty corner across the hall? Distance from the router to computer in my son's room is only 23 feet.