Email services

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DartThrower

Email services

Post by DartThrower »

Hi everyone.

I have a Yahoo email address and lately it has been behaving badly i.e. failure of the mail servers, getting no response when clicking on a button etc.
Has anyone else been experiencing problems? I was considering switching to Gmail or some other service. Any opinions on which are best? Thanks!
After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. Chopin
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

After using Yahoo mail for a few years, I finally gave up on it. I switched to Gmail last year and have been very pleased.
Milo

Post by Milo »

I've tried Yahoo Mail and Gmail and I just don't get the appeal of either. I like Windows Live Mail or Hotmail or whatever you want to call it just fine. It has an attractive layout, not busy, good spam filtering, antivirus scanning, and plenty of storage. And all the features of an email service that I actually use.

Did Google ever go through with their idea to target ads in Gmail based on the contents of your emails? Sounded like a bad idea to me.

Gmail seems to be the latest popular thing. Just like Firefox and iPhone. I don't get the attraction of those either. Guess it's just me. I like IE8 and use a cell phone that's just a phone.
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

I use gmail and am very happy with its performance and capability.

I have a number of friends that use yahoo and seem pleased with it.

Try gmail and see if you like it before you terminate your yahoo account.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I use yahoo mail and it works just fine. I use gmail for storage.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

Just wondering. What is the idea behind these "generic" email accounts?

My wife uses Hotmail; I use my account (under Verizon). Each of us has sent/received our personal email from around the world, with no problem. The only reason I haven't set up a Verizon account for my wife is that she has all these old subscriptions that use the hotmail suffix.

Just trying to understand.

- Ron
Topic Author
DartThrower

Post by DartThrower »

Ron wrote:Just wondering. What is the idea behind these "generic" email accounts?

- Ron
I have had my Yahoo account for 10 years. This might predate some of the other systems. Also, I can access the account from any computer with internet access with no setup at all. Is this possible with Verizon? Probably the biggest reason for what I have right now is inertia.

Over the last few weeks Yahoo has added some features and I have had problems connecting to the Yahoo mail server. Also I remember hearing that Yahoo has been having difficulties as a company. I personally like an email system that is clean and simple. After a point, all the bells and whistles detract from core usefulness and make the software a kluge IMHO.

Thanks for the replies!
After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. Chopin
Drain

Post by Drain »

Ron wrote:Just wondering. What is the idea behind these "generic" email accounts?

My wife uses Hotmail; I use my account (under Verizon). Each of us has sent/received our personal email from around the world, with no problem. The only reason I haven't set up a Verizon account for my wife is that she has all these old subscriptions that use the hotmail suffix.

- Ron
I got tired of changing email addresses every time I changed ISPs. Also, as long as I was going to use web-based email, the Yahoos and the Gmails of the world were more optimized for that purpose than anything my ISPs could offer. I don't know if that's still true.
Darin
Drain

Post by Drain »

To me, the choice between Yahoo Mail and Gmail depends on whether you prefer the slick interface and folder-based organization of a YM account, or the archiving and labels of Gmail. To me, Gmail's approach is more natural, so that's what I'm using.

One feature I love in YM is the disposable addresses, as I mentioned in another thread last week (?). So I actually maintain both a YM account and a Gmail account. I set up the disposable addresses in the YM account, and I use Gmail for everything else. Gmail pulls mail off the YM server without human intervention (outside of initial setup), so it's not like I'm juggling two accounts, really.
Darin
fire5soon

Post by fire5soon »

I've had the same Yahoo email address since 1997 and have been very happy. As far as junk mail, I may get one message in my spam folder every couple of days, but never in my Inbox.

I also set up a Gmail account about a year ago to test it out. I literally get over 50 spam messages a day even though I don't use the email address. Many of these spam emails make into my Inbox.

So far I'm not impressed with Gmail and will continue to use Yahoo for the foreseeable future.
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan
tj-longterm

Post by tj-longterm »

I use gmail, although I've tried most other services over the years.

I get approximately 300-400 spam messages per day at my gmail account, and in the last several months, none have missed being detected as spam.

I like gmail because it's faster and more responsive than the other web based services, and everything can be quickly controlled with the keyboard (gmails shortcuts seem most intuitive to me). It takes me no time to go through my daily inbox and respond to and label things if necessary. I've been working with a GTD-style approach (aka an empty inbox) for a while now and gmail just seems to work better for my workflow.

I also like that Gmail allows complete free POP, IMAP access, and forwarding (Yahoo mail required "Mail Plus" for this). And, if you use a Google Apps account, there is a free feature to *import* all of your old email into their servers.

Finally, google allows you to require HTTPS for accessing gmail. Yahoo and others only do this for login. This means that for web-based email providers other than google, whenever you are using an insecure WiFi (coffee shop, airport, etc.) it is entirely trivial for anyone to be reading your email as you read it. Plus, since the rest of your session after login is not encrypted, it is probably possible for someone to hijack your Yahoo session and access your account. Using Gmail + https mitigates these problems.

I can't see what the problem is with the targeted advertising, although I'm sure someone can come up with some outrageous scenario where it's bad.

I suppose it all comes down to individual preferences, ultimately.
soaring

Post by soaring »

I use all of them without issue:
yahoo
hotmail
msn expanded mail
gmail
local provider email

yes I have plently of email for different uses. My primary is msn expanded mail and has been for 7+ years.

Hotmail, msn, gmail and local provider is connected (free) to my Outlook email program. Yahoo requires upgrade to allow connect to Outlook.
Desiderata
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

Gmail. free POP and IMAP support. also all of Google Services tied in. Yahoo is so yesterday.
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

DartThrower wrote:...Also, I can access the account from any computer with internet access with no setup at all. Is this possible with Verizon?
Yes, Verizon webmail. Just log in with your Verizon email address and password and you have full access to your email account.

Doing this from a public computer or access point may be a security risk however because you can't use https like you can with gmail. That is one reason why I have started using gmail with POP access to my Verizon accounts. Plus, it's convenient as all get out to have access to my gmail and Verizon accounts all in one place from any web enabled device.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki
Ron

Post by Ron »

Bob B wrote:
DartThrower wrote:...Also, I can access the account from any computer with internet access with no setup at all. Is this possible with Verizon?
Yes, Verizon webmail. Just log in with your Verizon email address and password and you have full access to your email account.

Doing this from a public computer or access point may be a security risk...
Yes, I've been able to get to my Verizon account anywhere in the world. You're corect as far as access to public access points and concern about security. I/we use our own PC (was laptop; now a netbook), and I don't normally access any financial accounts when traveling (regardless of the assurnaces that both Vanguard and Fidelity publish 8) ).

- Ron
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

Ron wrote:
Bob B wrote:

Yes, I've been able to get to my Verizon account anywhere in the world. You're corect as far as access to public access points and concern about security. I/we use our own PC (was laptop; now a netbook), and I don't normally access any financial accounts when traveling (regardless of the assurnaces that both Vanguard and Fidelity publish 8) ).

- Ron
Using your own PC is good, but on a public access point, security is still a risk unless you can sign in using https. AFAIK, Verizon webmail does not support that. Gmail does.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki
Larry Johnson

email services

Post by Larry Johnson »

Ever since AOL began their e-mail, I have been with them with not one instance of a problem. Very good program, especially for attaching files and photos.
cannedham

Post by cannedham »

Gmail is the best. Reasons:

1) It's free
2) You keep your address forever, even if you switch internet service providers, companies, domain names, etc.
3)It allows you to upload all of your e-mail from other services or download all of your e-mail to another service. In another words, if you ever decide you don't like Gmail, you can easily move away from it
4) It's fast
5) It's extremely reliable
6) It has the best spam detection out there
6) It's extremely powerful (auto filter your e-mail, attach multiple labels to e-mails, auto-forward e-mail to other addresses, "out-of-office" style messaging, integration with Google Talk and Google Calendar, the list goes on and on...)
Ron

Post by Ron »

Bob B wrote:webmail does not support that. Gmail does.
It may not matter, but I don't connect via the Verizon webmail (even though I know it's there); I pull my mail directly from the Verizon POP3 server via my PC's mail program (if that makes a difference).

- Ron
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

Ron wrote:
It may not matter, but I don't connect via the Verizon webmail (even though I know it's there); I pull my mail directly from the Verizon POP3 server via my PC's mail program (if that makes a difference).

- Ron
why enslave yourself to an ISP with the chains of their email address?
Ron

Post by Ron »

Gekko wrote:
Ron wrote:

- Ron
why enslave yourself to an ISP with the chains of their email address?
Simple; the chances of me changing services is highly unlikely.

- I'm retired
- I'm in my "terminal" (e.g. built for retirement) home
- I'll probably never use an alternate service (dial-up, cable); I'm on Dish.

The only requirement I have is to communicate via email from wherever we are in the world, since we travel several times a year.

This works (hey, I'm a simple guy) :roll: I don't change easily, at my age.

- Ron
tj-longterm

Post by tj-longterm »

Simple; the chances of me changing services is highly unlikely.
I have no real care about what email service you use or not, but I suggest that this reasoning is a bit shorted. People said the same thing about AOL 10 years ago. Technology changes fast, and I wouldn't be surprised if in 10-15 years you will not be with verizon.

On the other hand, we may be using an alternative to email by then too :D
Ron

Post by Ron »

tj-longterm wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if in 10-15 years you will not be with verizon.

On the other hand, we may be using an alternative to email by then too :D
First of all, I've never been with AOL :lol:

Secondly, at my age, in 10-15 years, I probably won't be around to worry about it :roll: ...

- Ron
therub

Post by therub »

Ron wrote: It may not matter, but I don't connect via the Verizon webmail (even though I know it's there); I pull my mail directly from the Verizon POP3 server via my PC's mail program (if that makes a difference).

- Ron
If you're not using pop3s via port 995, it's as bad as logging into webmail over http, perhaps worse. Absolutely trivial for any interested party on an unsecured wireless network to see your login and password.

Note that gmail/google requires secure pop and SMTP access to their services (secure by default).
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

- Ron
Two huge advantages

1) Your email stays with you forever. In the past, I have used Outlook. However, if your computer crashes or if your mailbox gets corrupted (which happened to me), you will be unable to recover your emails. In my case, I backed up my email but the backup got corrupted as well so it was useless. Personally, I would prefer to retain all my email correspondences with family members and banks and retailers I do business with.

2) Static email address. No need to change email address if your ISP is bought out by another company or if you choose to change your ISP. Notifiying friends and family and people you do business with of an email change is becoming a bigger and bigger task now. Having a Yahoo or Gmail account avoids this.

Cosmo
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

I use a yahoo plus account... 20$ a year with appropriate bells and whistles, i use the calendar, filter, and task list functions which are synced with my work outlook account which talks to the crackberry giving me the ability to transfer info back and forth easily. The spam filtering is also excellent. I also have a gmail account for backup and sending photos through picasa. For that matter i have an old hotmail account (actually used hotmail mostly and switched to yahoo in 2003, both accounts date to 1999 when i left school and needed an independent account) that the wife still uses, every now and then some of the windows live functions come in handy. I like the fact that my email hasn't really changed since 1999, although it took a few months to complete the yahoo switchover in 2003.

I have about 50,000 emails accumulated at yahoo due to yahoo groups and the like, i find it funny that i used to struggle with those pesky 2-6 megabyte mailbox limits back in the 90s and early 00s!! I was amazed when yahoo went to 100 megabytes, and i have no limit at all now.
Indexed Fully!
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

hotmail is definitely well behind the curve... i occasionally have to fix things in my old account for the wife and it has minimal functionality compared to yahoo or gmail. i like some of the yahoo features (folders particularly) and some of the gmail features. if yahoo continues to fail i may have to move, but am ready at any time... too bad i can't combine the yahoo account with all of the other neat stuff google offers (i use picasa and google docs frequently).

and if only google would ever get gdrive working!
Indexed Fully!
kramer

Post by kramer »

The default version of Yahoo's email interface (which I like) does not work on netbooks, there are too few pixels (I forget if this can be overridden, but it doesn't work well if I tried it).

Overall, I find the gmail interface superior for general use on any computer.

I maintain a lifelong Yahoo address and this is the address given to all my financial accounts as well. I guard this address carefully when traveling. But if you don't pay Yahoo $20 per year (which I do), you can't forward this email to an expendable address while traveling.

Kramer
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Ron wrote:
I'm with you Ron. Call me old fashioned, but I use Mozilla Thunderbird to "read" all my mail. I find web email to be cumbersome. It is so much easier to find something, search for text in an email, etc. page up and page down through a folder (rather than hitting "previous" or "next").etc.

I wonder what percent of people use a reader (outside of the corporate world) ? Real low I would imagine
pkcrafter

gmail

Post by pkcrafter »

Well timed thread. I just opened a gmail account today. I immediately see a problem--forwarding a message. I can't access my contacts list once I click on forward. How do you do it?

Do you remain logged on all the time?

Do you have to use a bookmark to access gmai? Is there a more convenient way?

Thanks,

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

pshonore wrote:
Ron wrote:
I'm with you Ron. Call me old fashioned, but I use Mozilla Thunderbird to "read" all my mail. I find web email to be cumbersome. It is so much easier to find something, search for text in an email, etc. page up and page down through a folder (rather than hitting "previous" or "next").etc.

I wonder what percent of people use a reader (outside of the corporate world) ? Real low I would imagine
we use outlook at the office... i use the new version of yahoo email with frames and all, works very well. it works the same as outlook or a reader... the address function has been integrated and they should have an active calendar (more like googles calendar) coming up.
Last edited by arthurdawg on Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indexed Fully!
Gekko

Re: gmail

Post by Gekko »

pkcrafter wrote:Well timed thread. I just opened a gmail account today. I immediately see a problem--forwarding a message. I can't access my contacts list once I click on forward. How do you do it?

Thanks,

Paul
1. click on the top right corner double square and you'll get an auto-fill recipient field.
2. until you log off or erase cookies. also maybe after X days.
3. you can also use POP or IMAP via Outlook etc.
pkcrafter

gmail

Post by pkcrafter »

Thanks Gekko. Autofill is off and I can't find a button in settings to turn it on. Regardless, I don't like the fact that you can't open the contact list when forwardiing.

edit: I found out how to use autocomplete, but I don't like it. If I can't access the contact list while forwarding, it's probably a deal breaker.

Has anyone tried GMX?

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
toinquire

Post by toinquire »

This sounds like a great service.....

Gmail Offers to Automatically Unsubscribe You from Mailing Lists

http://virl.com/dc816/
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Gekko wrote:
pkcrafter wrote:Well timed thread. I just opened a gmail account today. I immediately see a problem--forwarding a message. I can't access my contacts list once I click on forward. How do you do it?

Thanks,

Paul
1. click on the top right corner double square and you'll get an auto-fill recipient field.
2. until you log off or erase cookies. also maybe after X days.
3. you can also use POP or IMAP via Outlook etc.
Are there any advantages for the average user to select POP vs. IMAP or vice versa? I use POP now.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
thenextguy

Post by thenextguy »

Milo wrote: Gmail seems to be the latest popular thing. Just like Firefox and iPhone. I don't get the attraction of those either. Guess it's just me. I like IE8 and use a cell phone that's just a phone.
What's an IE8? I use Netscape Navigator 4 on my grandfather's abacus. I'm using it right now. Cell phone? I never understand why people use those. I have two tin cans connected by a string that works just fine.

You and your fancy technology.
blink32

Post by blink32 »

Sidney wrote:Are there any advantages for the average user to select POP vs. IMAP or vice versa? I use POP now.
To me it boils down to two points:
1. Do you want to manage a backup?
2. Do you not want to manage a backup?

For the "average" user IMAP can be vastly more beneficial than POP for things like redundancy and backup (the 3rd party takes care of it), and if you access your mail via different conduits. IE: webmail, email clients from several machines, etc. This is assuming your POP settings are configured so that when your primary mail client downloads an e-mail it deletes it from the host server. If you leave a copy on the host then this point is nill. But you must be careful when configuring other mail clients to ensure you don't accidentally pop all your mail down with out realizing it or have it set so that when you delete it from that client it will delete it from the source. It happens a lot with users who are unfamiliar with email and just want it to work and then go to their primary machine later only to realize their messages no longer exist.

POP is nice though in that it enables a user to work offline on mail and send/receive whenever you are connected. It also allows you, as a user, to backup your mail as you see fit when you do not control the mail server. You could also argue that its a bit more secure as it's not sitting on a system that could be compromised where the security configuration is out of your control. There are many points to the security angle though that I wont' go into. But the avg person must understand that by popping down their mail, depending on the settings, there is no longer a "master" copy anywhere else that they can access. If the mail file(s) become corrupt or they have physical hardware failure (dead hd) they will need to rely on a backup copy or just start over.

IMAP does do offline processing but that is not it's strength.
Boris

Post by Boris »

Bob B wrote:
Ron wrote:
Bob B wrote:

- Ron
Using your own PC is good, but on a public access point, security is still a risk unless you can sign in using https. AFAIK, Verizon webmail does not support that. Gmail does.
Even if you use SSL you're still not safe from the man-in-the-middle attack. Never use public 'hot spots' for sensitive information. Also keep in mind that many sites don't even implement the security correctly. Up until recently Mint had a huge security hole in it, which is why I didn't use it.
Short term moves in the market are like "a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing." | - John C. Bogle quoting Shakespeare
tj-longterm

Post by tj-longterm »

Boris wrote:Even if you use SSL you're still not safe from the man-in-the-middle attack. Never use public 'hot spots' for sensitive information. Also keep in mind that many sites don't even implement the security correctly. Up until recently Mint had a huge security hole in it, which is why I didn't use it.
This is a little misleading. It's theoretically possible for people to fall victim to man-in-the-middle attacks, but for a careful enough user (which granted, I doubt applies to most people here), it's basically impossible -- The SSL certificate will show up as invalid and will not match properly.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

thenextguy wrote:
Milo wrote: Gmail seems to be the latest popular thing. Just like Firefox and iPhone. I don't get the attraction of those either. Guess it's just me. I like IE8 and use a cell phone that's just a phone.
What's an IE8? I use Netscape Navigator 4 on my grandfather's abacus. I'm using it right now. Cell phone? I never understand why people use those. I have two tin cans connected by a string that works just fine.

You and your fancy technology.
Oh yeah? I'm still running Erwise on a plain rock myself!!
Indexed Fully!
Boris

Post by Boris »

tj-longterm wrote:
Boris wrote:Even if you use SSL you're still not safe from the man-in-the-middle attack. Never use public 'hot spots' for sensitive information. Also keep in mind that many sites don't even implement the security correctly. Up until recently Mint had a huge security hole in it, which is why I didn't use it.
This is a little misleading. It's theoretically possible for people to fall victim to man-in-the-middle attacks, but for a careful enough user (which granted, I doubt applies to most people here), it's basically impossible -- The SSL certificate will show up as invalid and will not match properly.
A little misleading? :shock: It's definitely possible and you can get by the careful users too :wink:.
Short term moves in the market are like "a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing." | - John C. Bogle quoting Shakespeare