Vacuum cleaner recommendation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Dyson Cyclone. Amazing.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

risharinga wrote:
nisiprius wrote: The Miele was amazing to me, a revelation. It is quiet, it is able to clean effectively by suction alone, and (undoubtedly because of the HEPA filter) it does not deposit white dust on things.
+1 on Miele. Definately money well spent.
I can also recommend the website that I bought it from. http://www.witbeckvacuums.com/. The owner patiently answered my questions over three days before I decided to buy.
After killing a Kenmore and Hoover in way too few years, and having a child with asthma, we decided to get a good HEPA vacuum even if dollar for dollar it was not a Consumer Report best buy (I confess I often find CS best buys disappoint).

The Miele does an excellent job and is quiet. Since my wife opens windows any day it is remotely possible weather-wise, letting in blowing dust and pollen, I'm not sure the HEPA is buying us much.

We must have some very abrasive dust as we recently wore through the wiring that runs in the hose to power the rug attachment (the non-power head was not doing it for us). We also had to replace the power cord once. So, I can't say I am entirely pleased with durability, but given family history I would say we are hard on vacuum cleaners. That said to be fair we have had it about 8 or 9 years.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
pochax

Post by pochax »

+1 Dyson.

You can often get it for ~$200-250 Refurbished at Frys.com. Nice value.
EO 11110

Re: Vacuum cleaner recommendation?

Post by EO 11110 »

black jack wrote:Wife has decided she'd like to replace our mediocre vacuum cleaner.

Does anyone have a vacuum cleaner they would recommend?
if you want suction, go with anything hoover

the noise is mind splitting though.... :shock:
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

We have been using the same vacuum for almost 19 years. My wife bought it when we just got married from a salesman who came to out house. Yes a door to door salesman. It is an Electrolux and we have had it repaired a few times over the years, but it still works great.

However, I don't think the Electrolux vacuums they make today are the same company that made them years ago.

I heard the Miele vacuums are the best on the market today, but the price is very high. It kind of reminds me of the Electrolux that I own.
Nestegg_User

Vacuum

Post by Nestegg_User »

chaz wrote:
mhalley wrote:My wife loves her Dyson Animal. It is quite expensive, but she swears it is the best one she ever owned.
Check out this site http://products.howstuffworks.com/uprig ... /award-all for some reviews and best buys.
Mike
My wife and I like the Dyson.
Make that another vote for the Dyson, although we have the standard Dyson (cheaper).
budawgs

Post by budawgs »

+1 one for Dyson. We have two dogs and we realized how bad our old vacuum was after using the Dyson. We saved $100+ at Bed-Bath & Beyond by using one of their 20% off coupons. We also used a bunch of Discover cash-back bonus gift cards (use $20 cash back for a $25 gift card). I think we ended by paying around $100 out of pocket. Although after using it, I would be willing to pay full price.
CherylHall

Post by CherylHall »

Anyone with a Dyson animal can you post the model name and number please? In research mode...
scooterdog

Post by scooterdog »

Another vote for Miele.

Two things: Dyson (and other bagless) vacuums will have a problem with the fine particulate matter getting blown around. The other thing is that a HEPA filter makes a difference.

Yes they are expensive but really worth looking into. Our Titan still going strong after 6+ years, very quiet and the best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned.
rixer

Post by rixer »

The Bissle Cleanview sells for around $75 and will out suck a Dyson. We have one and it's worked fine for about 7 years.

You don't have to mortgage the farm to buy a vacuum cleaner.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Oreck. Hands down the best vacuum I have ever owned.

However, not the newer models. The commercial older models which you can still buy on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Oreck-Commercial- ... 6930937617

This is the one I own and I can never go back to the cheap heavy plastic vacuums. Or for that matter, the very expensive heavy plastic vacuums. Not sure why Dyson is so popular. That thing weighs a ton and is all plastic. My 8 lb Oreck is powerful and you don't need attachments to do stairs and under the bed and it's made to last. I went to a seminar at the Waldorf Astoria a few years back and I noticed the maids were using Orecks.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
CherylHall

Post by CherylHall »

Hi all OP here. I decided on a Dyson and got it the Thursday before black Friday on an Amazon lightening deal. It was 150 off then about another 125. I cant be happier with it. Talk about sucking up the dirt and the animal attachment is amazing. thanks all for the replies
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

There is nothing like a Rainbow.

And nothing costs as much as a Rainbow either. However, it actually cleans. Really cleans.

I bought one last fall and have had no remorse whatsoever. And my allergies are better this year. It is actually too soon to say if the Rainbow had anything to do with that or not. But it seems so.
I LOVE my Rainbow vac. Bought it used on eBay after using one in a place I rented. Nothing compares to the thrill of emptying the water canister that captures every hair, dust bunny and morsel and suspends it in the tank to pour down the commode when you are finished. The intake goes through a water tank, nothing leaches back into the home. I had a HEPA Dyson and re-vaccummed when the Rainbow arrived and saw what was being missed.

OP just posted that he snagged a good deal. . .Keep Rainbow in mind when you decide to buy your last vaccum.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

LeeMKE wrote: Nothing compares to the thrill of emptying the water canister that captures every hair, dust bunny and morsel and suspends it in the tank to pour down the commode when you are finished.
The water in mine is so thick with dirt and dog hair that I can't even dump it down the commode. I have to strain it and throw it outside. It is pretty amazing. And scary too.
CABob

Post by CABob »

We recently bought a Shark like or similar to this one. We haven't had it long enough to provide a complete review, but, so far it seem to do a good job.
Bob
colganc

Post by colganc »

Royal.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Last year after 23 years our Electrolux finally gave up. Grant it I fixed it about 3 or 4 times over the years and in the end we called it the Frankenstein vacuum because it had so many different parts. I finally let it go. I bought the Oreck Commercial Vacuum on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Oreck-Commercial- ... ial+vacuum

It is even better than the Electrolux that I replaced. It is light and powerful. I understand Royal took over Oreck, and they have newer models, but as long as they keep making the original, I would go with that. It is a very simple design that is easy to move around and extremely light weight. Everyone swears by Dyson, but I used one at my sister's house and it is way too heavy if you have more then one level in your house. I can't say enough good things about the Oreck commercial.

If you click on the link and read the reviews you will see I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Last edited by stemikger on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Really love our upright Miele! Much better than brother's Dyson animal that we tried out. I didn't think I'd want to pay for bags periodically (I'm cheap) but the expense is minimal and not dealing with the gross particles and dust is fantastic. Glides and turns very smoothly, although it is heavy to carry up stairs if you are frail.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

boroc7 wrote:Really love our upright Miele! Much better than brother's Dyson animal that we tried out. I didn't think I'd want to pay for bags periodically (I'm cheap) but the expense is minimal and not dealing with the gross particles and dust is fantastic. Glides and turns very smoothly, although it is heavy to carry up stairs if you are frail.
I'm amazed how bagless became so popular. As far as the economics of buying bags, it is a non-issue. I buy them in bulk from Amazon and they last around three or four years. Don't get sucked in (pun intended) by the marketing.
selftalk

Post by selftalk »

The SHARK Rocket is awesome and so powerful and with all the attachments included. It was recommended by a friend as being wonderful as he`s had it for almost 1 year. I got mine at Kohl`s for a terrific price. I`ve had my Oreck for almost 10 years without a problem except for 2 broken belts which are easy to replace but the Oreck has NO attachments.
Dechan

Post by Dechan »

There was a vaccuum repair technician taking questions from the public on Reddit. He seemed very knowledgeable and he received a lot of questions. Here's his brand recommendations:

"I've been asked to post my personal preferences with regard to brands. As I said before, there is no bad vacuum; Just vacuums built for their purpose. That being said, here are my brand choices in order:
Miele for canisters
Riccar for uprights
Hoover for budget machines
Sanitaire or Royal for commercial machines
Dyson if you just can't be talked out of a bagless machine."

He recommends bagged vaccuums over bagless ones.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... t_believe/
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2 ... ck_better/
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2 ... d_several/
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... _is_the_1/
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

Our house came with a central vac, dealing with the 30ft hose is no easier than a heavy vacuum, but I really like that it vents outside. No dust concerns at all, this is especially nice in an old house that might have lead paint hiding. Because the motor is in the basement, it's very quite, I can vacuum while my wife sleeps.

I'm sure it was pricey to install, but if you have easy basement to attic access, I would recommend looking into them.