LastPass Users' Feedback

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gemini

LastPass Users' Feedback

Post by Gemini »

I am looking to make the jump and wanted feedback. Can those of you who use LastPass chime in with feedback about what you like. dislike. etc. etc.? It would be also be helpful if you guys can share whether this is the only password manager you use currently, and if you have tried other password managers before with a comparison.

I had one question that I wasn't able to get a clear answer from the LastPass website:

1. Can one LastPass premium be shared between multiple users? For example, my spouse and I would like to use one premium account on our iPhones, MAC and PC. I want to create a master login for me that has access to all accounts/folders/passwords. For the spouse or another user, I want to make another login with limited access. Is this possible?

Thanks.
gkaplan

Re: LastPass Users' Feedback

Post by gkaplan »

Last edited by gkaplan on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gordon
Toons

Post by Toons »

What do I like about LastPass?
In layman's terms "It works."
I have been using the premium version for years now.
Invaluable,with 60 or more passwords,easy access on phones,tablets,chrombook,etc.
My spouse and I use the same premium account on all devices,hers and mine,full access for both of us.
Regarding your question " I want to make another login with limited access. Is this possible?"

I am unable to answer that one :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

Toons wrote:What do I like about LastPass?
In layman's terms "It works."
I have been using the premium version for years now.
Invaluable,with 60 or more passwords,easy access on phones,tablets,chrombook,etc.
My spouse and I use the same premium account on all devices,hers and mine,full access for both of us.
Regarding your question " I want to make another login with limited access. Is this possible?"

I am unable to answer that one :happy
'

Do you use two factor authentication? If so, how does it work on mobile if both you and your spouse use the account? I am assuming that a code is sent to a mobile device - can two factor authentication be used with two different phones for the times when you and spouse are not together?
ChrisOK

Post by ChrisOK »

Gemini wrote:For the spouse or another user, I want to make another login with limited access. Is this possible?
This is not possible. One set of credentials per account with full access to all logins in the vault.
ChrisOK

Post by ChrisOK »

Gemini wrote:Do you use two factor authentication? If so, how does it work on mobile if both you and your spouse use the account? I am assuming that a code is sent to a mobile device - can two factor authentication be used with two different phones for the times when you and spouse are not together?
LastPass's 2FA is app based, https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/multifact ... n-options/. Depending upon the app you choose, Google Authenticator is most common, you can scan the same QR code on both devices you wanted to have access to the 2FA one-time codes. Personally, I use Authy across all my 2FA sites as it will sync across multiple devices.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

ChrisOK wrote:
Gemini wrote:For the spouse or another user, I want to make another login with limited access. Is this possible?
This is not possible. One set of credentials per account with full access to all logins in the vault.
You can share accounts/passwords with other LastPass users. Each person has their own LastPass account.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

As mentioned above, read some of the many other LastPass threads. You'll get plenty of feedback.

I've used LP for years, premium version. Have well over a hundred sites recorded, probably more. I also extensively use Secure Notes; they are a great way to keep info accessible that you need to access, but want kept secure. For example, I have scanned my passport, and created a secure note. Same with Drivers license. If I ever need then, bingo! (And I have needed them.)

It's not perfect, but it does an excellent job at what it does--password management.
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson
Topic Author
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

So the only way to have 2 users with mobile and desktop access with one user having limited access is to either go enterprise or buy two premium versions and then share some folders?

Regarding mobile: Is one of the multi-factor auth programs more secure than the other? Which one do you guys use and why?
powermega

Post by powermega »

We've used LastPass for a couple of years now. DW and I share the login for Premium, so we can both see all of the sites. I think it works very well, and I too have made extensive use of the Secure Notes part of it too.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

I use LastPass Premium on all my devices and so does my wife to a lesser extent.

There is really no problem with both spouses using a single account because you can name muliple logins and passwords for each site. So, for example if you both have separate Amazon accounts you can name one "His Amazon" and the other one "Her Amazon" and Last Pass will remember both of them and when you go to login you just select the one you want. Of course if there are sites and logins that you want to keep secret from your spouse you would best not include them in LastPass.

In my household, I'm the LastPass power user and my wife doesn't really use it much because she only uses apple devices and they already have a built-in password manager. But I make sure that she actually knows how to use LastPass and access our LastPass account in the tragic event that I am not around and she needs to find, get into, and manage all of our many financial-related accounts that she now defers to me to manage.
ChrisOK

Post by ChrisOK »

stan1 wrote:
ChrisOK wrote:
You can share accounts/passwords with other LastPass users. Each person has their own LastPass account.
Correct, you can share your saved passwords from your vault to another user's vault. That would be a workaround (and require two premium account if you wanted access across device mobile and desktop for both users) but not exactly what the OP was asking for, unless I misread.
Topic Author
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

Re two factor auth: is one better than the other? I am looking at the free options offered.
midareff

Post by midareff »

I have been using LastPass (premium version) on both home computers and on a tablet and phone for more than a year. I use long strong complex passwords for financial sites and lesser for others which contain no financial information. I like that you can restrict access by country and that you can have a favorites list that doesn't slow you down in a list of 60+ overall separate passwords. It works as it should.

If you are using PC's you can simply have two different logins which would provide two different password lists since the PC version is free. I'm not sure you can use two different logins on mobile without two subscriptions. You might ask them.
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

I have used LP for about 5 years. Very pointedly, I use the free version because I make it a policy to never access a Web site that requires password credentials from a mobile device...I use ONLY my home or work computer. AFAIK, the premium versions only brings with it the ability to store passwords in the app (perhaps other features but I seem to be living just fine without them.)

My Master Password is 20 random letters and numbers (not random in my mind, as it's really the first letters of two songs together) that would be very difficult to crack.

Try it out for a while and see if you like it. I do keep a printout (in my safe at home) of my master password, plus all my other important passwords...for my wife, if I die tomorrow.