New construction final walk-through

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retire14

New construction final walk-through

Post by retire14 »

Hi:
I am doing a final walk-through before closing on a new construction. We have inspected all along. Are there anything that may not be obvious besides checking appliances/water/faucets/outlets, etc.. that we should pay attention to? TIA.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Re: New construction final walk-through

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

I suggest you pay a fully licensed and bonded building inspector to do it with you. It will cost several hundred dollars, maybe even more than a thousand. If there are problems it will be worth it. If there aren't, then at least you'll know for sure.
PJW
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Check all the finishes for things like proper gyp board finishing, paint drips, holidays in the paint, etc.

Check all plumbing fixtures for hot & cold water (and on the correct side), proper drain, etc. If possible turn on all water in house at same time and have someone look under every appliance (open cabinets under sinks, go to level under shower, etc. Stop up tubs and even if possible shower to ensure tubs don't move when full of water and that shower does not leak when filled with about 1" of water. You also want everything to drain properly. While tub is draining flush nearby toilet. Make sure there is no glug glug glug sound indicating insufficient venting that inhibits draining.

Check HVAC. Can you access all filters, completely remove them from system and replace or are pipes in the way? Are there dampers in the ducts? Are they marked? Record air temp at which conditioned air is delivered.

Test every outlet and make sure you know what every light switch does.

Make sure every door closes and latches properly, and doors that lock do so.

Have them show you the shut off for the gas, water and main breaker.

I'm sure you can find a complete list somewhere on the internet -the above is just a quick list of what comes to mind.
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

+1 Check that every outlet works! Bring a small appliance or even a night light.

If you have light switches that control outlets, make sure that when you walk in the room and flip the switch that the proper outlet is activated.

Do you have a CO monitor, fire extinguisher, smoke detectors?

If your garage door opener has battery backup, are batteries installed? We had a neighbor locked out of their house for hours during a power failure because they did not have fresh batteries in opener and did not bring keys because they always enter through the garage.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

I would put even more emphasis on the HVAC. Leaks, flow balance, etc. A hot master bedroom had plagued us until our most recent home purchase. Hold the company to an unwavering standard. They took a bunch of shortcuts without a doubt (just my opinion of course) call them on a couple.
Birdie55

Post by Birdie55 »

My new construction walk through was with the construction rep. He did almost all the things listed above while I observed. The two things that I missed were making sure I could get to the filter and that both latches actually worked on the filter grate. The other was checking the sheet rock where it met the ceilings. It was well after the 1 year warrantee expired before I noticed some damaged sheet rock where the ceiling met the wall. I felt the rep probably noticed it, and hoped I did not.

Also, make sure you get all the owners manuals that go with the appliances, garage door opener, heating and A/C system, etc.

I hired an inspector to check my house while it was in construction and he caught some things that were repaired before the house was completed. The A/C ducting was a big one since it is not visible when the ceiling is installed. He saw huge gaps in it and called me so I could report it before they went any further. They sealed it and let me come and inspect before they installed the ceilings.

I felt that one thing made it worthwhile to have hired the inspector. Good luck with your new home.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

EagertoLearnMore wrote:+1 Check that every outlet works! Bring a small appliance or even a night light.
You can get a proper outlet tester at a big box store for under $10, which will not only tell you that there's electricity, but that the outlet is wired (somewhat) appropriately. It's not foolproof, but gives a bit more info than a lamp.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

I thought about another area. Check all the paperwork, especially the official code inspections. I'd like to make sure all names are legible. Won't matter later when something goes bad, but it would be fun to have an actual name to unleash some choice words when a later inspector says something isn't to code.

I think an important point is to not rush if possible. Get that independent guy. A good one. And I wouldn't let anything, no matter how small, be allowed to persist.

Please come back and report later.
sport

Post by sport »

Here is another one: Make sure that all the doors are hung straight. That is, make sure that when they are closed (not latched) that they stay closed and when they are open, they stay open. It is annoying to need door stops.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Bring an extension cord and halogen light - most rooms, closets, cabinets, under sink, pantries are not bright enough for proper inspection with installed lighting and natural light. Many new homes are energy tested - door pressurization and ductwork pressurization - best to be there when that's done - if not get the company documents that the how was tested. Make sure the inspection date coincides with the probable completion date- ours was dated pre-excavation so we pitched a fit and they redid the test.

Go in the attic and check for insulation depth - should be uniform even in the far back corners. Look for uniform trusses with no cracked members or unruly splices. Have the constuction rep open the breaker box and kill the main, then check the wiring is orderly, unspliced and tightened down (hot, neutrals and grounds). Check all outlets with outlet check and look for properly flush and no play or softness in the mouting. Check all windows open and close all the way up and down and don't stick or bind and screens are properly and securely installed.

Check roofing and any flashing - use binoculars if you can't handle a ladder. Check for buckled siding unruly soffit/facia interfaces.

Walk on all carpeted areas in stocking feet - if you find any bumps - the floor may not have been properly cleaned or had drywall mud which was not removed. Check carpet joints and corners.

Check concrete where possible for voids, dings and other improper finishing - wet the garage floor and look for puddles or improper inclination.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

I like HoosierJim's post.

Check the gutters. Make sure the drainage is going to make sense. Make sure ends of gutters are seled properly. We are fighting this right now.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

When we bought a new home 15 years ago the builder emphasized that they would come back and fix anything for the first year so there wasn't a hurry to catch everything at the final inspection. They lived up on this commitment. It made the closing a little easier and as we lived in the house we found about 10 different things over the course of the first year that we missed.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
OAG

Post by OAG »

Level, Tape Measure, Square, Electric Line Tester (Plugs into electric plugs - read the outside of the tester to see what to look for). This small kit you may already have or can be picked up cheap at HD/Lowes. Of course you have to know the way things should be - not everything should be level (garage floors, patios etc., should be slanted to provide water removal etc. Be sure the FOREMAN for your home is present at the WT as he can get things fixed quicker than some form checker. I suggest this although you generally will have at least the one year builders warranty (that is assuming they are still around for the full year); better to be quicker about it IMHO (and experience).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.