Saving a tree when installing a septic drain field

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tc101

Saving a tree when installing a septic drain field

Post by tc101 »

How close can I come to a big old oak and a big old poplar tree with a septic drain field trench, and probably not kill the tree?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
windaar

Re: Saving a tree when installing a septic drain field

Post by windaar »

Not an expert, but I can share with you that my field was dug about 10 to 15 feet from the base of 2 older oak trees about a decade ago and the trees have been fine.
Nobody knows nothing.
Gill

Post by Gill »

Isn't the reverse problem that the tree roots will spread into the drain field and cause problems there?
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Comcast dug a large hole for a new pole about 15 feet from the base of an old oak of mine and it was dead a few months later. I think it depends where the roots go. One thing to consider is if some of the roots get cut the tree will be less stable in high winds.
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Isn't the reverse problem that the tree roots will spread into the drain field and cause problems there?
I know that used to be a problem, but I don't think it is now with these new drain fields with the infiltrator chambers.

http://www.smaller-homes.com/septic-drain-fields.html
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
DiscoBunny1979

Post by DiscoBunny1979 »

When I chopped down my 30 year old olive tree, and when it died, my septic backed up. Not saying that it was proved beyond a reasonable doubt that that's why my septic backed up, but it is ironic. I would not put leach lines or sewage pits near any trees that have long extending root systems that search for water.