Architectural Shingles VS Metal Roof

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
antiqueman

Architectural Shingles VS Metal Roof

Post by antiqueman »

I am re roofing my house and trying decide if I should use a metal roof or architectural shingles.

The metal roof would cost 9k more than the shingles.

This is a house I plan to live in until I die. (Lets say I will live 30 years)

Which ever I chose will be installed by one of the premier, long established contractors in my area. So the quality of installation will be the same.

For those who have metal roofs or architectural shingles please give me your thoughts on the pros and cons of each and if you had the option to purchase the opposite of what you did would you spend 9k more for the metal roof, or would you wish you had your 9k back and the shingle roof.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether one insulates better. I assume they don't but am not sure.

Thanks.
EddyB

Re: Architectural Shingles VS Metal Roof

Post by EddyB »

What is the relevant climate and exposure? Is $9k a meaningful or trivial percentage of the value of the home?
Topic Author
antiqueman

Post by antiqueman »

[quote="EddyB"]What is the relevant climate and exposure? Is $9k a meaningful or trivial percentage of the value of the home?[/quote]

Climate is the Southeast. Hot summers and rainy in the winter. Winter temps can get into upper teens and sometimes close to zero.

9k is about 3% of value of home.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

If roof gets damaged by something falling on it, what is the repair procedure with metal roof? How easy or difficult? Is there a noise factor when it rains on a metal roof? Are you prone to hail in your area in a severe thunderstorm? Will your home insurance cost more with a metal roof for any reason?

Never considered a metal roof myself, but things like this come to mind. :?:
Tom D.
Topic Author
antiqueman

Post by antiqueman »

[quote="tomd37"]If roof gets damaged by something falling on it, what is the repair procedure with metal roof? How easy or difficult? Is there a noise factor when it rains on a metal roof? Are you prone to hail in your area in a severe thunderstorm? Will your home insurance cost more with a metal roof for any reason?

Never considered a metal roof myself, but things like this come to mind. :?:[/quote]

Tom, these are all good questions. I will check with my insurance company.

I live not to far from you so you know the climate.
DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings »

Advantages of metal roof
You can use it with a rainwater collection system for sustainable water usage
Durable
In Texas it adds to the value of your home.
Might lower your insurance premium.

Disadvantages of metal roof
Initial cost
Noisier when it rains (though you might enjoy the sound of rain on the roof)
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

I replaced my wood shingle roof with a metal roof about 4 yrs ago and reaaly like it.
Pros (from memory): 50 yr warantee so basically lifetime, can walk on it, high wind rating, light weight, no structural upgrades, the roof itself is "waterproof" so the waterproof membrane below just acts as additional protection, looks very nice since it tries to look like tile roofs and cannot really tell it is metal unless you look closely.
Cons: none except for cost, but our HOA does not allow comp roofs.

There are no noise/sound issues from rain or if it is louder I cannot tell. I woukd do it again. I forgot how many "squares" it was but it came out to about $20k for a two story 2600sf home. I do not have any info on comp roofs.
HoopDiddyDiddy

Post by HoopDiddyDiddy »

I had a metal roof put on my Kentucky home in '11 and am very happy that I decided to do so. This is my downsized retirement home and I do plan to be here for the duration, so the investment seemed prudent. My previous asphalt shingle home in South Florida required a reroof approximately every ten years due to environmental factors and I was very over that recurring expense. The metal roof carries a 50 year warranty and I am 61, so I think I am set here :happy
I do not notice any increased sounds of rain.
Snow slides off really easily.
It is beautiful, durable, and I love it.
And I never have to worry about my roof ever again.

ETA: Cost was $8k for a 1200 square foot home.
nukewerker

Post by nukewerker »

If you go with a metal roof you want a double or triple lock standing seam, I would advise against the exposed fastener types as the rubber gaskets will eventually dry rot and give you problems. Not to mention most of the fly by night contractors use the lapped/exposed fasteners. By using a standing seam you will eliminate a lot of the rip off guys. Also be sure they allow some room at the ends of the panels at the eaves for expansion/contraction. I would also price out "peel and stick" over the whole roof . Its worth the $1000 or so extra it should cost.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I have a metal roof and like it a lot. it just looks right on the house. I have no experience with architectural shingles. The only con I've seen so far is that people working on the house find it much harder to walk on and have to make adjustments for that (extra ladders on the roof seems to do the trick).

To me, it seems like the choice is which would look best on the house.

Edited to add: my metal roof is sheet type and looks just right on a house in the woods.
Last edited by retiredjg on Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I have OC Weatherguard HP roof. I live in an area that was traditionally cedar shakes and wanted some of that look while reducing fire danger. It is supposedly lifetime but we will see. My location has high winds and it has performed very well.

There are metal roofing materials that I like the look of but they tend to be the highest end and would only be a consideration for me on a ranch or mixed with asphalt in a section with little slope where roof is dominant architectural feature. The lower end ones put up around me are not wearing well.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

A properly installed metal roof in some parts of country prone to hurricanes will lower your insurance costs.
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

EddyB wrote:What is the relevant climate and exposure? Is $9k a meaningful or trivial percentage of the value of the home?
9k is 9k, whether it is 3% of the home value or 25% is irrelevant. You are obviously falling for the "percentage fallacy".
http://lesswrong.com/lw/1i/its_the_same_five_dollars/
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

There is many different types of of metal roofs and it appears different posters may have different roofs in mind.
There is the "standing seam"/sheet type and there is the type that mimics the look of a traditional shingle.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

Echoing what others have said, I did not notice an increase in sound when it rains from my metal roof. My hunch on that common belief is that it stems from metal barn/shed roofs where the sheets of metal span between the rafters unsupported. For residential metal roofs, there is decking between the rafters and metal sheets so the metal does not act like a drum when it rains.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

We replaced our shingle roof with a metal roof a few years ago after a hailstorm. We couldn't be happier with it. We do notice a bit more noise during a heavy rain, but it does not interfere with conversation etc and is like a white-noise machine at bedtime.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

N1CKV wrote:There is many different types of of metal roofs and it appears different posters may have different roofs in mind.
There is the "standing seam"/sheet type and there is the type that mimics the look of a traditional shingle.
I was wondering what that other poster was talking about. :happy
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

gatorking wrote:
EddyB wrote:What is the relevant climate and exposure? Is $9k a meaningful or trivial percentage of the value of the home?
9k is 9k, whether it is 3% of the home value or 25% is irrelevant. You are obviously falling for the "percentage fallacy".
This is an interesting phenomenon. I feel this gnawing at me when I compare home prices. Whats a $15,000 difference when comparing a $315,000 house to a $330,000 house? It's $15,000!! That's a second car!
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

gatorking wrote:9k is 9k, whether it is 3% of the home value or 25% is irrelevant.
I get the point you are making, but I still think it is relevant. Some houses would not be worth the extra $9k. This house is.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

If your home is brick, don't use a metal roof because it looks weird in my opinion.

I like shingles myself for the looks and the noise dampening effect.
edge

Post by edge »

In south Florida I've found cement tile to be more common than asphalt shingle.
HoopDiddyDiddy wrote:I had a metal roof put on my Kentucky home in '11 and am very happy that I decided to do so. This is my downsized retirement home and I do plan to be here for the duration, so the investment seemed prudent. My previous asphalt shingle home in South Florida required a reroof approximately every ten years due to environmental factors and I was very over that recurring expense. The metal roof carries a 50 year warranty and I am 61, so I think I am set here :happy
I do not notice any increased sounds of rain.
Snow slides off really easily.
It is beautiful, durable, and I love it.
And I never have to worry about my roof ever again.

ETA: Cost was $8k for a 1200 square foot home.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

are you planning on installing solar panels?

If so, metal roof might pose an installation problem.
bbqguru

Post by bbqguru »

We put a metal roof on our new home and love it. We've been in just over a year and compared to our old home with a traditional roof there isn't a whole lot of difference in noise. The roofing company installed a bubble-wrap type of insulation under the metal to help with noise as well. There is still noise when it rains, but it is a different type of noise- certainly not bad and you get used to it.

IIRC, we had around 55 square and it was just over $6k for material and labor.

The best part is the insurance savings, our company gave us a 20% discount which is about $600 per year. If you go the metal route, make sure it is UL listed. Most insurance companies want this and require a certificate.-- ours did.
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

Nirav wrote:are you planning on installing solar panels?

If so, metal roof might pose an installation problem.
Actually for a standing seam metal roof the opposite is true. a standing seam roof has ridges between the metal sheets that solar panels are bolted to. This avoids drilling holes into your roof. Solar panel installers love standing seam roofs. One other advantage is that most metal roofs have a reflective coating that will decrease heat radiation into your attic. There is also a foam insulation under the metal. I am all for a metal roof if you can afford it. although some people don't like the look.
HoopDiddyDiddy

Post by HoopDiddyDiddy »

edge wrote:In south Florida I've found cement tile to be more common than asphalt shingle.
In higher end homes, sure.
But there's a lot of the population living under asphalt shingles, I promise :happy
edge

Post by edge »

That price is extremely low. Is a square of metal equivalent to asphalt? If so that is an extremely low price for a giant roof. Something seems off.
bbqguru wrote:We put a metal roof on our new home and love it. We've been in just over a year and compared to our old home with a traditional roof there isn't a whole lot of difference in noise. The roofing company installed a bubble-wrap type of insulation under the metal to help with noise as well. There is still noise when it rains, but it is a different type of noise- certainly not bad and you get used to it.

The best part is the insurance savings, our company gave us a 20% discount which is about $600 per year. If you go the metal route, make sure it is UL listed. Most insurance companies want this and require a certificate.-- ours did.
nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 »

Be careful with a metal roof. They are not maintaince free. Screws will blackout and get loose over time. Neoprene washers under the screws will harden and rot from the heat. In the southeast the paint will fade. Personally I would prefer the architect shingles.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 2018 no. 175 2019 no. 144 6 year average 157.83. Proves I am just an average investor.What do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."
bbqguru

Post by bbqguru »

edge wrote:That price is extremely low. Is a square of metal equivalent to asphalt? If so that is an extremely low price for a giant roof. Something seems off.
bbqguru wrote:We put a metal roof on our new home and love it. We've been in just over a year and compared to our old home with a traditional roof there isn't a whole lot of difference in noise. The roofing company installed a bubble-wrap type of insulation under the metal to help with noise as well. There is still noise when it rains, but it is a different type of noise- certainly not bad and you get used to it.

A square is a square when it comes to roofing- 100 sq feet. I live in SW Missouri and the cost of living is low. New homes can be nicely built for around 85-100/sqaure. We have a simple roof though. 2 gables and 2 valleys. Just a long rectangle with attached garage.

The metal was roughly the same price as shingles when we purchased. I think the metal was 65-70/square and labor was the remainder. 40 year warranty metal as well. Not standing seam, just old fashioned metal.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

gatorking wrote:
Yes, the cost is the same, but inappropriately extravagant remodeling choices are sure losers at resale.
dm52

Post by dm52 »

Metal and architectural can both be great choices. I have a Pabco Premier 40-year comp roof on my house and a NuRay 24-gauge "snap-lock" metal roof with Kynar 500 paint on my shop. I'd rather have put metal on the house, but it wouldn't match the style (and my wife is an architectural historian).

I think the metal will easily outlast the comp, and will look better longer. Metal is easier to clean (moss and lichen build up around here and need removing). Metal is harder to walk on safely if it's at all steep, whereas comp gives you plenty of traction. Metal is harder to modify later if you want to do something like cut in a skylight or add a woodstove chimney. Metal takes more skilled installers to do a clean job. If the metal gets scratched during installation, rust spots will form. The washerhead screws used on metal flashings and trim pieces periodically need replacing.

If you're considering metal, find out what manufacturer your roofer wants to use and read the specs, so you understand the type of fastening that will be used, the metal gauge, the type of painted finish, etc. In my opinion, metal is going to look best on a roof that does not have much if any rafter sag (i.e. an older home with over-spanned rafters). Your roofer should have opinions to offer on technical issues like these after looking at the job.

Evaluating comp roofing is easier. Most of it is very reliable. Occasionally a manufacturer will have a bad batch and a rash of problems, so it's probably worth reading up on the manufacturer whose product you like.

In all cases I think it's worth stipulating that the installers follow the manufacturer's installation instructions exactly. If you ever have a warranty issue, that will come into play.
nukewerker

Post by nukewerker »

nodenuff2 wrote:Be careful with a metal roof. They are not maintaince free. Screws will blackout and get loose over time. Neoprene washers under the screws will harden and rot from the heat. In the southeast the paint will fade. Personally I would prefer the architect shingles.
Exactly why I would only put a standing seam double or triple lock on my house if it were me. The single lock which are sort of like a standing seam can have problems as well.

And again, you go with standing seam you will eliminate at least half of the crooks out there. When I used to do roofing engineering, a roofer once told me "never trust a roofer".