Aloha Shirt: Yes or No

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Alf 101

Aloha Shirt: Yes or No

Post by Alf 101 »

I fear my mid-life crisis may be coming early, as this afternoon I've found myself with an unexplained urge to purchase an Aloha (aka, Hawaiian) shirt. If nothing else this reassures me, if it is said crisis, that if my idea of a big splurge is a shirt I see no problems sticking to living below my means.

Tracing this back, I originally began looking for shirts that would serve particularly well in the heat. It being summer this was a natural line of reasoning, and I thought to narrow in on button downs that I could wear to work and/or out in the evenings. Then I recalled that, in Hawaii, an Aloha shirt could be considered quite tasteful and formal. However, when I did a quick search for what a decent Aloha shirt might cost -- something nice and not tacky -- they weren't necessarily cheap.

For the record, I don't live in Hawaii. Has anyone bought a decent Aloha shirt? Do you ever wear it? Were you laughed at by your children and strangers? Or is it a perfectly fine summer thing?

Otherwise, since this is an investing advice forum, I have a 3 fund portfolio and re-balance monthly. This allows me plenty of time to consider other interests (see above). Thanks for any of your thoughts and insight...
Dutch

Re: Aloha Shirt: Yes or No

Post by Dutch »

Get a hold of yourself man! :D
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

If you are not quite ready for a full on Aloha shirt, check out the offerings at http://www.territoryahead.com . Lots of fun stuff going on there.

Maybe you can tip toe into middle age. :happy
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

My advice is to get at least two. Wearing a nice Hawaiian shirt puts me in a relaxed state of mind and somehow triggers a need for Huli Huli Chicken.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

They sorta came back around for a while in the late 90s.
g/f's dad wears them all the time (they do live a short walk from the beach in Ventura, though). I wore one to a dinner at their house in jest ;)

If you want something more 'normal' looking, that has buttons and is good in the heat, search on Sierra Trading Post for hiking/travel shirts. Moisture wicking type. Find a coupon and get 3 for the price of your genuine Aloha shirt. I'm sure they have Hawaiian print shirts too. Go crazy and buy one of each (discounted of course)...

Ooh - or you could get a job at Trader Joe's!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I have several Hawaiian shirts. I always get compliments when I wear them. You have to buy them in Hawaii and you have to pay about $80 for each one. Don't get cheap ones. Here are a few tips:
1. Make sure any pockets sewn on have the pattern match perfectly.

2. Also make sure that when the shirt is buttoned that the pattern matches across the front. This with the pocket matching should mean that from a distance of about 6 ft or more, viewers cannot tell the shirt has pockets and buttons.

3. Never tuck in a Hawaiian shirt.

These shirts are very nice: https://www.toririchard.com but there are others. Even with these shirts, check for #1 and #2 above.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
whatusername?

Post by whatusername? »

Go for it. It's quirky enough to be interesting if it's actually a midlife crisis shirt (as opposed to 20-something hipster irony).

For cool but snappy casual, though, you might look to golfwear. A lot of the technical golf shirts are light, breathable, wicking and a good alternative if you're concerned that Aloha might be a little too out there.

Just no socks with sandals. That would call for an intervention.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I have a few that my dad picked up in his travels to the island. One is from 1963 and the other 1974. My first engineering job had Hawaiian shirt day every friday so they got some use.

I would not call an Aloha shirt a crisis unless the colors clashed with your new Lamborghini Huracan
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Where I live, these are very popular among men of a certain age. Costco sells them, and almost everyone in my small town shops there, so when we go out to an event there are invariably several men wearing the same shirt. Doesn't seem to bother anyone. Check out your local Costco and enjoy the shirt!
Angst

Post by Angst »

Hey, there's nothing wimpy about transporting one's state of mind to the tropics with a choice Tommy Bahama! Just watch out for what's on your feet. Skip the deck shoes, wear sandals.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Yes or No?

Yes, Yes, Yes. Buy, buy, buy, now.

Shameless disclaimer: All my "dress shirts" are Hawaiian shirts, purchased in Hawaii during port visits .
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
Watty

Post by Watty »

Go for it, everyone should get out of their comfort zone now and then with small splurges like that. Be sure to read the care instructions though, some of them should be hand washed and they may need to be ironed to touch up the wrinkles. If you don't want to do that then be sure to get one that does not require that.

Get a tie dyed shirt too while you are at it. Seriously.
Alf 101 wrote:I could wear to work and/or out in the evenings. Then I recalled that, in Hawaii, an Aloha shirt could be considered quite tasteful and formal.
There are limits. :D

I would only where them places where you could were shorts and sandals.

Whatever you do, do not get your spouse or kids matching shirts.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

Go for it, have a few pairs myself. They're my go to lounge / casual shirts for the last 10 years or so.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

To show you where my head's at I call them Magnum PI shirts!

I have one I wear occasionally. Starting to get a bit faded. Perhaps I need another. Tommy Bahama is too much for me, though. I'll check out Costco. They must have something at Kohls.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

Or you could move to Hawaii. Here a tasteful aloha shirt is considered proper business attire. Can't even remember how to tie a tie :D ! Then you won't have to worry about it.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I personally do not believe that a tasteful Hawaiian shirt can be purchased at Kohl's, Costco and some other places. I would use those shirts to work on my spouse's car.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Yes and often. Aloha is a state of mind that started for me at 15, no need to wait for middle age.
+1 for buying quality with pockets and buttons aligned for wearing in less casual settings.
Life is too short for button downs.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
lowerleisureclass

Post by lowerleisureclass »

You might also consider a guayabera shirt (google will turn up lots of examples), if your main goal is good in heat and crossover from work to going out.
"At either end of the economic spectrum there lies a leisure class." -- Eric Beck, rock climber

Post by 123 »

Sure, aloha shirts are okay. But don't go overboard with them. You need to mix your wardrobe up with a bunch of different styles. A Boglehead strives for balance. In your wardrobe you could balance each aloha shirt you acquire with acquiring a bowling shirt. Kind of ying and yang.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Bammerman

Post by Bammerman »

I don't understand the question. Why would you not want to own and wear Hawaiian shirts? About half of the shirts in my closet (summer season) are "aloha shirts". God knows I had to wear enough boring (white! light blue! maybe an exciting white with thin blue stripe!) shirts and suits year after year before I retired. Now I like to decorate my life with bright, comfortable, cool aloha shirts - even though I live in the mountains! And why would I care what anyone might think of me in a Hawaiian shirt? I'm retired now, I can please myself! It's not just about bright colors and comfort - it also says about me, "I'm on perpetual holiday." And guess what, you can get lots of Hawaiian shirts in the Bogleheadian way: cheaply! I never buy new Hawaiian shirts. I bought them all in thrift stores. True, there are many cheap shirts for sale in thrift stores, but if you keep looking and shop with discrimination, you will also find beautiful, high-quality shirts in excellent condition - some even made in Hawaii. Oh yes - be sure to complete the look with a nice Panama hat!
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

I just bought one at Tori Richards from a post above.

My shirts from Hilo Hattie's that I bought in the 90s are falling apart, and I was having no luck finding good quality subdued ones locally.

Ralph
Angst

Post by Angst »

bertilak wrote:I have one I wear occasionally. Starting to get a bit faded. Perhaps I need another. Tommy Bahama is too much for me, though. I'll check out Costco. They must have something at Kohls.
Yes - my preferred boutiques for Tommy Bahama are the Salvation Army store and Goodwill. :wink: No shame here!
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

livesoft wrote:I have several Hawaiian shirts. I always get compliments when I wear them. You have to buy them in Hawaii and you have to pay about $80 for each one. Don't get cheap ones. Here are a few tips:
1. Make sure any pockets sewn on have the pattern match perfectly.

2. Also make sure that when the shirt is buttoned that the pattern matches across the front. This with the pocket matching should mean that from a distance of about 6 ft or more, viewers cannot tell the shirt has pockets and buttons.

3. Never tuck in a Hawaiian shirt.

These shirts are very nice: https://www.toririchard.com but there are others. Even with these shirts, check for #1 and #2 above.
4. Buttons should be made of coconut. Never plastic.

5. Aloha shirts are made (as I was told) with the fabric inside out - reverse print. In other words, the colorful side is now the inside and the duller (backside) is the outside.

I get all of my Aloha shirts at Goodwill. There is always a selection there - more so in the winter.
Mahalo
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

ralph124cf wrote:I just bought one at Tori Richards from a post above.

My shirts from Hilo Hattie's that I bought in the 90s are falling apart, and I was having no luck finding good quality subdued ones locally.

Ralph
Those are good looking shirts. Enjoy!
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

When I was going to school in Hawaii in the late 70s/early 80s, the last work day of the week was known as Aloha Friday. Everyone had permission to replace business wear with tasteful Aloha wear. Bankers and other office workers who spent the rest of the week in business suits swapped out their wardrobe. The news anchors on TV dressed for Aloha Friday.

I don't know if this is still a tradition there, but you could make it your own personal tradition.
mikepru

Post by mikepru »

I wear a dark blue hibiscus Aloha shirt often. Personally I prefer 100% cotton--not rayon. And I tuck them in--I know I know--dorky, but it works sometimes. But NEVER tucked in on Maui. I'm looking for an Aloha polo shirt--anyone have a lead?
alec

Post by alec »

Alf 101 wrote:Has anyone bought a decent Aloha shirt? Do you ever wear it? Were you laughed at by your children and strangers? .
My father got me one, and I wear it of often. The point of this and my awesome Panama Jack had is to embarrass my kid. Being embarrassed by your parents builds character.

Also, a cheap mid life crisis outlet is to grow a beard, or attempt to. When my beard didn't work out, I started running.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

I've got about 20 of them...... :happy ... I wear them in Minnesota in the summer and the Bahamas in the Winter. And yes, never Tuck them in... Make sure they're Silk !
jdb

Post by jdb »

Angst wrote:Hey, there's nothing wimpy about transporting one's state of mind to the tropics with a choice Tommy Bahama! Just watch out for what's on your feet. Skip the deck shoes, wear sandals.
Yes to Aloha Shirts, the more psychedelic the better. Never thought about matching pocket patterns with rest of shirt. Panama hats (actually Ecuadorean) are cool. But please skip the open toe sandals, I think adult males should not expose their toes in public unless on the beach or traversing a whitewater rapids or Hiking the Appalachian Trail. Sperry or Mephisto boat shoes please. And of course no socks.
Last edited by jdb on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

This reminds me of one of many great quotes from "Office Space".

Bill Lumbergh: "Oh, and remember: next Friday... is Hawaiian shirt day. So, you know, if you want to, go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans."

What company didn't do this in the late 90s?

Cosmo
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

got a couple about 15-16 years ago..."Paradise Found" out of Honolulu (made in Hawaii) from store in Maui... not cheap then...
(and yes buttons are made of cocoanut) ....
plan to use them more next summer in retirement out west... 8-)
Sents

Post by Sents »

If your significant other thinks you look good in an Aloha shirt, go for it. Otherwise, I would hold off.
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets. For it and knowledge can raise men to the divine. | L. Beethoven
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

My go to shirt in the tropics is a Columbia BoneHead shirt.

http://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-bonehe ... 01#start=6
fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet »

A big vote yes from me. I bought an Aloha / Jimmy Buffet shirt today at Sam's Club on markdown for $4.81. I hope my kids hate it when I wear it but they probably figure it beats the 15 year old tee shirts I still wear around the house. I got married in a Aloha shirt a few years ago and heck she is still around
When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
LowER

Post by LowER »

Angst wrote:
bertilak wrote:I have one I wear occasionally. Starting to get a bit faded. Perhaps I need another. Tommy Bahama is too much for me, though. I'll check out Costco. They must have something at Kohls.
Yes - my preferred boutiques for Tommy Bahama are the Salvation Army store and Goodwill. :wink: No shame here!
+1. GW in my area has many aloha shirts for just the right price, and some are very nice.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

livesoft wrote: 3. Never tuck in a Hawaiian shirt.
+++++1

I am wearing one now.

I would also add,
4. Make no excuses, and none will be made for you.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Last time I had one was in the 50's :D
All the Best, | Joe
black jack

Post by black jack »

GerryL wrote:When I was going to school in Hawaii in the late 70s/early 80s, the last work day of the week was known as Aloha Friday. Everyone had permission to replace business wear with tasteful Aloha wear. Bankers and other office workers who spent the rest of the week in business suits swapped out their wardrobe. The news anchors on TV dressed for Aloha Friday.

I don't know if this is still a tradition there, but you could make it your own personal tradition.
When I was working in Hawaii in the 1980s, (tasteful - reverse print) Aloha shirts were daily business wear. The only people who wore coats and ties were lawyers appearing in court and politicians appearing in the legislature.

I have no doubt this is still true. And I think this style should spread throughout the nation - so get an Aloha shirt (or a dozen) and join my cause.

I wear my old Aloha shirts during the summer, when I inhabit the State of Denial.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
pytheas2.0

Post by pytheas2.0 »

123 wrote:A Boglehead strives for balance...you could balance each aloha shirt you acquire with acquiring a bowling shirt.
Lol.
dougp29

Post by dougp29 »

I have collected over a dozen Reyn Spooner Hawaiian shirts that I wear pretty much daily. When I visit Honolulu, I like to stop at the Reyn Spooner store at Ala Moana Center. ReynSpooner.com is their website for online ordering. I prefer the classic button-down styles made out of Spooner Kloth because they require no ironing. Before retiring I usually wore one to work on Fridays. I tend to select from the more conservative styles, and the Lahaina Sailor Classic is my favorite. It comes in a variety of colors. Reyn Spooner shirts tend to run about $90 each, but they last for years.
Spirit Rider

I resemble that remark

Post by Spirit Rider »

Aloha Shirts and cargo shorts used to be my work "uniform" 10-20 years ago. Those were the days when I was in serious geek mode. They used to just toss Pepsi and pizza over the dungeon (cube) walls to the system internals and performance coder. I think I still might have a few of those hanging around.
DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 »

I have a hawaiian shirt that I wear a few times during the summer.

When I bough it I picked it because it it was a very vibrant blue with yellow flowers. It was bright and loud and almost hurt your eyes to look at it.

As a few others have mentioned there are some rules when wearing such a shirt:

1. Never, under any circumstances tuck it in
2. At a bare minimum leave at least the top 2-3 buttons unbuttoned
3. the more chest hair showing the better
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I was swept into the Hawaiian shirt buying mode last time I was in Hawaii. Great cool summer shirts. The real ones have coconut buttons - at least that is what one store clerk told me :)
Rich in Michigan

Post by Rich in Michigan »

The funny thing is that they are not nearly as commonly worn in Hawaii as they were decades ago. That aside, I have a few that I have purchased in Hawaii through the years and I wear them maybe once each summer. I have one that I refer to as "my wedding shirt" that was worn during our 30th anniversary wedding vow renewal on the islands.

I volunteer playing guitar for a hospice agency and once each winter when the Michigan weather is getting everybody down, I will show up wearing shorts, flip flops, my "wedding shirt" and sunglasses. I end my visit by playing Tiny Bubbles. Never fails to get smiles from my patients.

Truthfully, you should wear what you want to wear and if you want to buy an aloha shirt, I say go for it.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Alf 101 wrote:Were you laughed at by your children and strangers? Or is it a perfectly fine summer thing?
You should probably ask people with a sense of style and aesthetics that you trust versus people on a discussion forum who will vary widely. i'm no parent but it seems like kids are going to laugh at their parents no matter what the parents do or who the parents are. Even rock legends end up with their kids laughing at them.
Last edited by takeshi on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

DaftInvestor wrote:I was swept into the Hawaiian shirt buying mode last time I was in Hawaii. Great cool summer shirts. The real ones have coconut buttons - at least that is what one store clerk told me :)
Buttons can also be made from shells.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

YES, get many, here that is the standard friday shirt, i also usually wear nice front logo'd tee shirt and leave aloha unbuttoned....
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

I have two Hawaiian shirts. I do enjoy wearing them a few times a year in the summer around family or friends on the weekend especially for a summer party. In that environment, I get positive comments.

I would not wear one to work.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

I feel like everyone is skipping over the obvious questions: Are you married? What does your spouse think? Not that we all need to cater 100% to our wives, but in matters that are fairly trivial to one, it may be prudent to see if such matters are considered "non-trivial" to the other. :)
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
Gort

Post by Gort »

livesoft wrote:I personally do not believe that a tasteful Hawaiian shirt can be purchased at Kohl's, Costco and some other places. I would use those shirts to work on my spouse's car.
Not true. Costco has some very nice silk Jamaica Jaxx brand shirts.