wife got in wreck with Honda CRV - no collison coverage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
riptide

wife got in wreck with Honda CRV - no collison coverage

Post by riptide »

My wife has had several wrecks with our Honda CRV and the last one is possible totaled. Most importantly she is ok with only minor injuries and bruises and healing.
I made a big mistake of dropping collision coverage on the CRV months ago to save on the insurance premiums because of an accident surcharge on her.
It was a multi car accident and unfortunately my wife was determined to be contributing to the accident because she ran into another vehicle that ran into the one if front of her, etc. It was a chain reaction. This all happened due to a construction truck dropping a large cement metal block in the roadway over the bridge.

Anyway, the insurance will not cover anything, so I can try to pay to have the CRV repaired out of pocket or buy another used Honda. I really like the CRV , it is an EX-L with a nice interior. I would like to have it repaired, and am currently getting an estimate now. If it is not over $10,000 maybe I should just do it.
Or, I can get an older used Honda for my wife, as I am nervous about her having another accident and spending money for nothing. I have 2 small children , so I am uneasy about getting a used Honda Fit Sport or something that small for her.
I am disappointed, but hoping this will work out. Thanks.
Brokerage account-100% stocks | VG total Market 55% | VG small cap value 20% | VG Reit index 25% | | TSP Account 75C/25S | C Fund75%, S25%, | | Bonds: U.S. Treasury 5 year Note, 1 year T Bill
Toons

Re: wife got in wreck with Honda CRV - no collison coverage

Post by Toons »

What year is the CRV?
10k is a lot of money for a repair.
Given her driving history ,as you said I would consider a larger vehicle than a Fit. :happy
(I own an EX-L also)
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Larry Y

Post by Larry Y »

With 2 small children and a wife who has had "several wrecks" maybe the first thing you should consider is enrolling her in a defensive driving course. It was fortunate she was not seriously injured. Larry Y
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Wow, this question really opens a big ol can o worms...

1. Get the safest vehicle you can afford to protect your kids if your wife drives them.
2. I'll save all the other snide remarks.
Pale Blue Dot
Topic Author
riptide

Post by riptide »

Toons wrote:What year is the CRV?
10k is a lot of money for a repair.
Given her driving history ,as you said I would consider a larger vehicle than a Fit. :happy
(I own an EX-L also)
It's a 2010 Ex-L, I really like the vehicle, so I hate to lose it.
I agree the Fit is small, and I want my kids protected a little more than the Fit.
Brokerage account-100% stocks | VG total Market 55% | VG small cap value 20% | VG Reit index 25% | | TSP Account 75C/25S | C Fund75%, S25%, | | Bonds: U.S. Treasury 5 year Note, 1 year T Bill
Topic Author
riptide

Post by riptide »

4nursebee wrote:Wow, this question really opens a big ol can o worms...

1. Get the safest vehicle you can afford to protect your kids if your wife drives them.
2. I'll save all the other snide remarks.
Thanks for #1, and thanks for #2 8-)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I'd never spend $10K to re-inflate a car. Find the safest mid-size or larger you can possibly afford. Volvo comes to mind (something like S60 or larger) but I'm sure there are other similar models.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Topic Author
riptide

Post by riptide »

jebmke wrote:I'd never spend $10K to re-inflate a car. Find the safest mid-size or larger you can possibly afford. Volvo comes to mind (something like S60 or larger) but I'm sure there are other similar models.
will look into the Volvo, what about $5K to repair the CRV?
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

riptide wrote:
jebmke wrote:I'd never spend $10K to re-inflate a car. Find the safest mid-size or larger you can possibly afford. Volvo comes to mind (something like S60 or larger) but I'm sure there are other similar models.
What is the list of items that need to be either repaired or replaced? $5K seems too cheap for a totaled recent model car.
What kind of parts is the body shop indicating they will use to repair? - OEM or "used" parts from a junkyard that have been removed from other like model cars?

I would have to agree with the other poster, it may be a good idea to take a defensive driver course, especially if your insurance premiums will be adjusted downwards because you took the class.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
BL

Post by BL »

Or, I can get an older used Honda for my wife, as I am nervous about her having another accident and spending money for nothing. I have 2 small children , so I am uneasy about getting a used Honda Fit Sport or something that small for her.
I would be even more concerned about the safety of your children and her. When even you (not just the insurance company) are worried about another accident I think it is time to consider all possibilities. Can you and she do some brainstorming and try to figure out if something is going on? Consider distractions in the car: giving attention to the kids while driving, cell phone texting or conversations, eating, adjusting devices, etc. Also consider speeding, lack of driving skills (pick up a drivers' manual at the DMV and consider a driving course), being aware of surroundings when driving, being upset or distracted, lack of concentration, drugs or alcohol, vision or medical problems, lack of defensive driving skills.

AARP has an on-line driving class for Over-55 to keep up defensive driving skills (and get a 10% senior discount on insurance!) which might be worth going through (if available to non-seniors) and I am sure there are others. If an older person starts having accidents, that is a red flag that needs to be addressed. In this country we assume that everyone has the skills to drive, but how can that really be true?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

riptide wrote:
I would have two worries. Structural weakness/damage that isn't detected and the fact that it may not be safe enough for the situation you have -- ie., accident prone driver and two small kids.

We had a Honda Jazz (slightly smaller version of Fit sold in Europe) when we lived in Brussels. We never took it outside city streets - too scary on highway. Too small.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

s60 is still a pretty small car and is a notch up on the price scale compared to honda. It might be worth it to get the suite of collision avoidence tech (auto breaking, warnings about tailgating, blind spot monitoring,...).
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

randomguy wrote:
s60 is still a pretty small car and is a notch up on the price scale compared to honda. It might be worth it to get the suite of collision avoidence tech (auto breaking, warnings about tailgating, blind spot monitoring,...).
I'm sure there are alternatives. I'd want the best crash protection and not count on this driver to pay attention to warnings. Maybe both.

I don't have experience with a lot of the new sensor-based systems. A friend of mine had to disable a lot of his because they became so distracting it was affecting his driving and increasing his risk (in his opinion - I have no clue, personally)
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

I think your wife needs more than a standard defensive driving classroom experience. If I were you, I'd seriously consider re-engineering the need for her to drive. Given your location, I am guessing that public transit or walking isn't a viable option, but if--for unrelated reasons--you were already considering relocation to an area like DC/NYC/Boston where it is quite possible to get along without driving, her driving record would certainly tip the balance in that direction.

If that's not on the table as a possible option, I'd seriously consider buying a new car with collision avoidance mechanisms built in. Also possibly getting her some on-the-road driving classes where a skilled expert observes her driving style and gives her advice on better practices to stay out of trouble.

Yes, more expensive than what you were probably considering, but given the apparent risk your wife presents to herself, your children, and society at large, very much worth it.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

The "go with a Volvo/something built like a tank" approach protects the OP's wife and children, but increases the risk to the rest of society. I think collision avoidance technology and personal instruction from a skilled driving consultant is called for here.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

riptide wrote:what about $5K to repair the CRV?
In my opinion, it all depends on what needs repaired. If the frame got bent between the axles, it is probably not worth it and without getting it straightened again, it will cause you problems the rest of its serviceable life. Motor mounts are often broken in collisions which can lead to future problems. Damage to the engine or transmission could cause problems to all of the drive train in the future.

From what information you have provided, I'm guessing you have significant damage to the front and rear of the CRV which includes some or all the quarter panels. If the damage is more cosmetic to the sheet metal and just your radiator is toast, I would consider fixing it if you don't mind the dents and all the safety features, i.e. airbags and such are in working order. I certainly wouldn't put anywhere close to $10k in it because that can buy you a reliable used vehicle. In fact, that is what we paid for our CRV EX-L years ago, however it was about 8 years old at the time.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Further thought: why does your wife need to drive? In another thread, you mentioned that your wife is a "Stay at home mom." You have also mentioned that your budget is very tight.

I can relate. I remember those days like it was yesterday.

When I was a stay at home mom of two young children, I did not drive (much to the surprise and amusement of folks who lived in my suburban Upstate NY community, which had abysmal public transit and not very pedestrian friendly roads.) It was limiting and inconvenient, especially when my younger one was slow to learn to walk and I was carrying her around in a backpack a lot, and it was pretty darned bitter cold waiting for the once an hour bus that was always late, I eventually caved and we bought a second car for me to use, but up until that point we saved a ton of money. Plus it was character building, a mother-daughters bonding experience singing and passing the time making up games to play as we waited at the bus stops, plus my kids grew up to be enthusiastic public transit users and walkers. But when my kids were really little, I simply did not feel confident enough of my driving abilities to be comfortable driving them around safely.

It would be more convenient not to drive now than it was back then (over two decades ago) because so many grocery stores offer home delivery plus you can order so much stuff on Amazon.

Couldn't she just carpool with another (safer) mom when she needs to drive places, offering to contribute to gas and tolls and maybe pay a little extra for the other mom's time and trouble? Alternatively, is there a retired person in your neighborhood with a great driving record and a safe car who would like to earn a little extra money and could be engaged on a regular basis to drive your wife and kids where they need to go?
Last edited by dodecahedron on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

dodecahedron wrote:
The "go with a Volvo/something built like a tank" approach protects the OP's wife and children, but increases the risk to the rest of society. I think collision avoidance technology and personal instruction from a skilled driving consultant is called for here.
I agree. I was trying to avoid piling on about driving lessons.

Another option is to hire a driver and car service.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

At $10k, the price of repair is to high to get back a good serviceable/safe vehicle. Car frames are made to absorb impact by collapsing. Once that happens, to a certain point, it cannot have the same structural strength or integrity for a second accident. I would cut the losses and put the $10k toward another vehicle.

You have to look at what is causing your wife to have accidents. Not going to assign blame for something that is beyond her control, b either a defensive driving course or a car with better safety features are in order. Your insurance will most likely go up again, and at some point it may be too expensive to insure any cars in the family with collision insurance. Time to look at all options on the table and make an informed decision. Your children and your wife's safety are the primary concern and you must come up with the best solution to mitigate future incidents.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The most important thing is your wife is healthy!

We have never dropped collision for any reason for these exact reasons.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

Do you have the name of the construction company? Was the driver cited for having an unsecured load? If so, I would sue them for the loss of your vehicle.

ETA: If you are short on money, they I would consider a sedan like a Camry or an Accord. Safe and not as expensive as small SUVs of the same generation.
Last edited by campy2010 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sport

Post by sport »

She has had "several wrecks" in this 2010 vehicle. I would suggest examining the details of each of these incidents, and any others that may have happened. Is there any commonality among the incidents? For example, was she talking on the phone each time, or was she otherwise distracted. Speeding and following too closely are other possibilities. By examining all the fine details, it is sometimes possible to identify the root cause of an accident. If the root cause is occurring more than once, it is a problem that can be addressed and perhaps eliminated. This is standard accident prevention technique.
Last edited by sport on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I have two small children as well so if I were to place myself in your wife's shoes. (Because my wife has the better driving record.)

1. I would definitely not purchase a small vehicle in regards to safety.
2. I would not repair the CRV because I assume I got into two accidents with this same vehicle. Something about the vehicle doesn't work for my driving style.
3. I would say no SUVs at all as the accident was my fault. A smaller vehicle may have been able to stop in time. If both accidents were my fault then getting a larger vehicle to survive the accident is not the issue here. Avoiding the accident is. Therefore, a midsize or full size sedan makes more sense.
4. My spouse removed full coverage insurance on the CRV so cost is an issue. So I would purchase a Camry or Accord, or equivalent full size sedan. I want to buy used around $5000 or so because I don't want to pay full for coverage. But then it wouldn't be as safe as a $10k used. I would have to struggle on how much to spend. Definitely not new, as cost would be prohibitive.
5. I do not like other's commenting on my driving so my spouse better tread carefully when recommending a defensive driving class.
Last edited by mmmodem on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

campy2010 wrote:Do you have the name of the construction company? Was the driver cited for having an unsecured load? If so, I would sue them for the loss of your vehicle.
The wife rear-ended someone. It probably doesn't matter why they stopped, she was following too closely. My understanding is that if you rear end someone it is almost certainly your own fault.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

mmmodem wrote: 5. I do not like other's commenting on my driving so my spouse better tread carefully when recommending a defensive driving class.
Given the cost of insurance, I'd recommend that BOTH spouses take a defensive driving class. (Even if the OP doesn't "need" it, both spouses taking it will reduce insurance premiums.) Some employers will provide such classes free to their employees, since it saves the employer money if they do any significant amount of driving on employer business.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

mmmodem wrote:I have two small children as well so if I were to place myself in your wife's shoes. (Because my wife has the better driving record.)
5. I do not like other's commenting on my driving so my spouse better tread carefully when recommending a defensive driving class.
This is a terrible attitude and if you had several at fault accidents you should be begging your spouse to help you figure out what you can do to not put others in danger.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

mmmodem wrote: 3. I would say no SUVs at all as the accident was my fault. A smaller vehicle may have been able to stop in time. If both accidents were my fault then getting a larger vehicle to survive the accident is not the issue here. Avoiding the accident is. Therefore, a midsize or full size sedan makes more sense.
4. My spouse removed full coverage insurance on the CRV so cost is an issue. So I would purchase a Camry or Accord, or equivalent full size sedan.
+1 on the no more SUVs for the OP's wife and also +1 on the Camry or Accord. When I did (eventually) cave and we bought a second car, so I could start driving, I drove a Camry and later an Accord. I felt (and still feel) much safer driving those cars rather than the minivans, station wagons, and SUVs favored by my fellow moms.
anonforthis

Post by anonforthis »

barnaclebob wrote:
mmmodem wrote:I have two small children as well so if I were to place myself in your wife's shoes. (Because my wife has the better driving record.)
This is a terrible attitude and if you had several at fault accidents you should be begging your spouse to help you figure out what you can do to not put others in danger.

+1.
Topic Author
riptide

Post by riptide »

lthenderson wrote:
riptide wrote:what about $5K to repair the CRV?
In my opinion, it all depends on what needs repaired. If the frame got bent between the axles, it is probably not worth it and without getting it straightened again, it will cause you problems the rest of its serviceable life. Motor mounts are often broken in collisions which can lead to future problems. Damage to the engine or transmission could cause problems to all of the drive train in the future.

From what information you have provided, I'm guessing you have significant damage to the front and rear of the CRV which includes some or all the quarter panels. If the damage is more cosmetic to the sheet metal and just your radiator is toast, I would consider fixing it if you don't mind the dents and all the safety features, i.e. airbags and such are in working order. I certainly wouldn't put anywhere close to $10k in it because that can buy you a reliable used vehicle. In fact, that is what we paid for our CRV EX-L years ago, however it was about 8 years old at the time.
I got the estimate from the body shop of $8500.00 and that is a quick estimate. If broken down, and a few more things discovered it could be $9500.00. The engine is still good and running. The frame was not bent. The suspension did get messed up as well as the hood, quarter panel on one side, radiator, front bumper, and the front driver airbag deployed, so that is expensive to replace. It seems the insurance company would count it as a total loss. I would be better off if I had collision on it, but will likely sell it to salvage. I will look for a used (2004-2008)Honda Civic , Accord, or Acura TSX for her.

Thank you everybody for the responses. I really appreciate the wisdom here. I will talk with her about a defensive driving class as well.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Personally I wouldn't think a defensive driving class would do much for anyone but the very worst drivers. I'd guess they are offered by companies that bank on the fact that courts make people take these courses. I think an honest discussion about the accidents is needed. Could be something as simple as leaving more following distance or allowing more time so she isn't rushed and driving aggressively.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

riptide wrote: I would be better off if I had collision on it, but will likely sell it to salvage. I will look for a used (2004-2008)Honda Civic , Accord, or Acura TSX for her.

Thank you everybody for the responses. I really appreciate the wisdom here. I will talk with her about a defensive driving class as well.
A TSX? Speed isn't what you want, you want a reliable car that isn't accident prone or an attractant to such mishaps. Get the Accord.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Topic Author
riptide

Post by riptide »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
riptide wrote: I would be better off if I had collision on it, but will likely sell it to salvage. I will look for a used (2004-2008)Honda Civic , Accord, or Acura TSX for her.

A TSX? Speed isn't what you want, you want a reliable car that isn't accident prone or an attractant to such mishaps. Get the Accord.
You got me man. I was thinking 'what I want to' in case I drive it some. I love Acura, and love my Acura TL-S. So, I would get a used Acura TSX for her.
I guess I could get the boring , safer Accord. I guess you are right.
sls239

Post by sls239 »

What does your wife say about all this?
Topic Author
riptide

Post by riptide »

sls239 wrote:What does your wife say about all this?
She cries about it. She does not agree it was her fault. It was a mess from the day of the accident. A truck dropped cement or a steel beam and caused the first car to stop, then 5 cars after her ran into the back of each other. My wife was the last car. The front of our CRV is all mashed up and crushed. She says she tried to avoid the car stopped in front of her. They initially wrote up all cars as not contributing to the accident and only cited the construction truck. Problem is the construction truck has never been located. All the cars were charged as the rear ended each other. My wife does not agree with this. I talked to her about following too close. I know she says she was not following closely, but I took pictures of our CRV and it is crushed in the front , no other damage to it.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

riptide wrote:
She cries about it. She does not agree it was her fault. It was a mess from the day of the accident. A truck dropped cement or a steel beam and caused the first car to stop, then 5 cars after her ran into the back of each other. My wife was the last car. The front of our CRV is all mashed up and crushed. She says she tried to avoid the car stopped in front of her. They initially wrote up all cars as not contributing to the accident and only cited the construction truck. Problem is the construction truck has never been located. All the cars were charged as the rear ended each other. My wife does not agree with this. I talked to her about following too close. I know she says she was not following closely, but I took pictures of our CRV and it is crushed in the front , no other damage to it.
If she hit the car in front of hers, she was following too closely, QED. Rear ending someone says the driver is at fault automatically in some states laws.

If she were my spouse, and I wanted to keep her and the kids alive and uninjured, I would look for medical issues and also have her take a defensive driving course from a skilled instructor. If she doesn't agree to these I would present it to her as what if one of the kids is injured seriously or if they have to grow up without a mother. Or how is she going to feel if she kills someone.

She also seems to be in denial about it being her fault, which is not encouraging about her developing better driving habits.

If she were elderly, I'd take away her keys and ask the state to pull her license.
Last edited by dolphinsaremammals on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
sls239

Post by sls239 »

So honestly, it sounds like she is in denial.

I don't think you should buy anything until she is ready to confront the issue. It is just too dangerous.

It is not OK to be in several wrecks, it is not OK to rear-end other cars simply because they stopped unexpectedly.

Something has to change before she or the children or someone else gets injured.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Back to the damage estimate. I don't think 8500 is too high for an estimate of a bashed up front end these days. However, those estimates are often based on insurance coverage. A body shop might give a lower estimate for cash payment, especially if aftermarket parts are approved.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

You haven't said who caused the other wrecks your wife was in, but "several" would be enough for the two of you to have some serious talks to determine if there are similarities in each accident. Even if they were not her fault, you need to know whether they might have been avoided with better defensive driving. You also need to understand what she might be doing wrong: speeding, driving too fast for conditions, impatience, always in a hurry possibly because of time mismanagement, distractions, especially when the kids are in the car, or using a cell or texting, not driving defensively, health problems, etc. Then find a good driver improvement program for her to enroll in - and take the course yourself. We all make mistakes while driving.

As for the car repair with no collision coverage, I would first want a good mechanic, maybe even a second, to identify the damage to the car, especially frame and engine damage and whether repairs will hold up and are worth the money. The car also had been in previous accidents, although you didn't say how serious the damage was. If it were me, I would just get another car.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
timboktoo

Post by timboktoo »

Well, if she needs to keep driving, I'd get the safest car you can for her and your family and keep it fully insured. If she can't admit that she's a bad driver and that she needs to become a defensive driver, then that's unfortunate, but there isn't a good alternative. Hopefully, driverless cars will come out soon.

- Tim
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

barnaclebob wrote:
campy2010 wrote:Do you have the name of the construction company? Was the driver cited for having an unsecured load? If so, I would sue them for the loss of your vehicle.
The wife rear-ended someone. It probably doesn't matter why they stopped, she was following too closely. My understanding is that if you rear end someone it is almost certainly your own fault.
Yes. A few months ago my wife rear-ended a lady who slammed on her brakes in the middle of an intersection because the light turned yellow. Caused three cars to be partially stuck in the intersection while there was a green light in the other direction. Despite the other driver doing several things illegally, and several witnesses corroborating it, the accident was deemed my wife's fault because she did not leave enough space to avoid the collision and our insurance had to cover everything (and we did not have collision either, cost us $1500 in repairs to our own car). It was my wife's first accident ever. Frustrating, but it's the law.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

stoptothink wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
Yes. A few months ago my wife rear-ended a lady who slammed on her brakes in the middle of an intersection because the light turned yellow. Caused three cars to be partially stuck in the intersection while there was a green light in the other direction. Despite the other driver doing several things illegally, and several witnesses corroborating it, the accident was deemed my wife's fault because she did not leave enough space to avoid the collision and our insurance had to cover everything (and we did not have collision either, cost us $1500 in repairs to our own car). It was my wife's first accident ever. Frustrating, but it's the law.
It is my understanding that since the construction vehicle was cited he would share a portion of the responsibility for the accident. Typically this is done as a percentage of fault, determined by police officers/insurance. If that driver had been identified, then he could be pursued for damages resulting from his contribution to the accident. Moot point since the construction vehicle left the scene and was not identified.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Perhaps a new Subaru with the "eyesight" gizmo would be an appropriate vehicle. They apparently make it quite difficult to run into the car in front of you. Refresher driving lessons might be helpful but of course some people are just atrocious drivers and shouldn't be doing it for the sake of themselves and others.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Two rear-end accidents in a couple of months would make me VERY concerned, especially if driver denies responsibility and doesn't see how and why she was at fault. I'd replace, not repair but look to other methods of transportation whenever possible.
timboktoo

Post by timboktoo »

hicabob wrote:Perhaps a new Subaru with the "eyesight" gizmo would be an appropriate vehicle. They apparently make it quite difficult to run into the car in front of you.
Good idea.

- Tim
backpacker

Post by backpacker »

riptide wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:

You got me man. I was thinking 'what I want to' in case I drive it some. I love Acura, and love my Acura TL-S. So, I would get a used Acura TSX for her.
I guess I could get the boring , safer Accord. I guess you are right.
Age matters more than size when it comes to safety. The smallest compacts from 2015 are as safe as the biggest SUVs from 2005. If you're concerned about safety, you want a car with electronic stability control. Consumer Reports claims that it's the most important safety feature since the seat belt, reducing driving fatalities by about 1/3. Most of the older Hondas you're looking at won't have ESC. ESC became standard safety equipment in 2012 (if I remember right).

I'm in the process of buying a car through Hertz Rent2Buy and have been impressed with the car and the process so far. They have Corollas from the last two or three years in my area for around $10,000 with around 50,000 miles.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

riptide wrote:
Long ago, well, not that long long ago, my driving instructor said if you are doing 55 on a highway, ideally you want to have a 3 car minimum gap between you and the guy in front of you, otherwise you may not have enough time or space to stop your car before careening into the first car. The police will blame you for rear-rending the first car. Now, try that in NYC/NJ and you'll find it doesn't work, if you are lucky you get a 1-2 car space and even then, you get other drivers trying to cut you off so they can squeeze in that small space. Keep with the speed limit, maybe a touch above it when needed to pass and signal. I can't tell you how many drivers on the road fail to properly signal. :oops:

A defensive driving course is recommended for two reasons - insurance cost reduction and two, a refresher on how seemingly little things can cause enough of a distraction as to initiate or become part of a larger chain reaction. For 5 cars to nearly simultaneously rear-rend each other indicates they were not paying attention to the brake lights in front of them because at the point my foot would be off the gas and going for the brake to slow down, and were too close to each other to avoid the collision, even if they all slammed on the brakes at the same time, it only takes one car to start the chain reaction. As you indicate that engine is intact is a good sign that your wife's speed was not too excessive, if it was - the engine would be in the front seat. The airbag went off because the sensor picked up on the front-end collision. Count your blessings, but really consider taking that course, you may not be so lucky next time even if it is not the drivers fault.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:

The TSX is nearly the same as the Accord that is sold ex-US/China as far as the size (mostly width.) The engine is modified to run on premium, the insulation and noise and vibration are reduced, and the interior components are upgraded. Depending on the year it might also have upgraded safety features as compared to the Accord.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

I have heard very good things about this program, and plan to take the course with my daughter when she learns to drive. http://www.driveincontrol.org
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

OP,
Good to hear no serious injuries. I too am not comfortable with my wife's driving completely, so I keep changing home when she changes job to as close as possible(works for now since we are in renting phase). A part of it is the move to big city from laid back sleeper towns. I keep the higher limit(1500) but kept collision and added her as primary driver on the old car. As per policy, she will use my sports car in exceptional reasons. This kept insurance down. So all those dings, etc., I am not repairing. If there is a serious accident, then well.. 1500 is my out of pocket.
Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Keep with the speed limit, maybe a touch above it when needed to pass and signal. I can't tell you how many drivers on the road fail to properly signal. :oops:
Here in California, I am always amazed at the number of drivers that signal at last second/ after they started changing lanes. I wonder if they think why they are even signalling!
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

riptide wrote:
It's a rare unicorn indeed to find a driver admit fault to an accident. That is why I suggest caution when approaching your wife about defensive driving schools. We can't all be rational human beings immediately after a horrific accident.