Are the more expensive bikes worth paying for?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tony5412

Are the more expensive bikes worth paying for?

Post by tony5412 »

I'm a recreational biker. I will occasionally ride the local bike trails or the back roads. I usually ride for an hour or so and count it as part of my workout routine. The weather hasn't been cooperative so it's been one every couple of weeks. I have been riding a Huffy bike that I purchased at Wal-Mart over a decade ago. It is still in good condition.

That said, I was thinking of getting a better/faster bike. A friend recommended this one:

Trek 7.3 Hybrid
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/ci ... fx/7_3_fx/

A bit pricey although not as pricey as some that I've seen.

Anyone have experience with these types of bikes?

Are the more expensive bikes worth it? Debating whether to stick with the one I have (which is slower but no worries about it being stolen) or upgrade.
JDot

Re: Are the more expensive bikes worth paying for?

Post by JDot »

I could probably spend an hour posting about this subject, as I used to be pretty serious road rider. Feel free to ask me specific questions. With a Huffy from Wal-mart, I would absolutely consider upgrading if you're riding with much regularity. You might be able to find a good deal on this year's models soon.

First, I would consider what type of riding you want to do. Mountain, road, hybrid for cruising in a neighborhood/riding to work, etc. It sounds like you are in the last category. Second, I would consider purchasing a bike. Realize that you reach the point of diminishing returns very quickly. I would buy from a local bike store even though it will be a little more expensive initially. Don't let them up-sell you. You reach points of diminishing return rather quickly. A $500 bike might do you very well. You might not notice much difference between a $500 and $1,000 bike. Likewise, after around $1,000, you probably won't notice much of a difference until you pay $3,000. The difference between a $4,000 and $10,000 bike would not be noticeable to most mortals.

Make sure you get the right size. It makes all the difference.

Good luck!
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Around the $450 range seems to be where quality jumps significantly. I would expect a $500 bike to last a looooong time with regular maintenance while I wouldn't necessarily expect the same from a $250 bike. More expensive bikes are definitely worth it if you ride a lot, but I wouldn't expect a huge jump in quality between a $500 and a $700 bike. Haven't ridden this particular model, but it probably falls somewhere near the sweet spot on the price/quality scale for casual riders. I'd recommend taking a look at some of the Fuji hybrids in that price range, as well.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

JDot wrote:First, I would consider what type of riding you want to do. Mountain, road, hybrid for cruising in a neighborhood/riding to work, etc. It sounds like you are in the last category. Second, I would consider purchasing a bike. Realize that you reach the point of diminishing returns very quickly. I would buy from a local bike store even though it will be a little more expensive initially. Don't let them up-sell you. You reach points of diminishing return rather quickly. A $500 bike might do you very well. You might not notice much difference between a $500 and $1,000 bike. Likewise, after around $1,000, you probably won't notice much of a difference until you pay $3,000. The difference between a $4,000 and $10,000 bike would not be noticeable to most mortals.
I ride bike trails (mostly flat) but also some paved back roads (mostly flat but some hills). No mountains nearby or the like. This leads me to believe that a road bike or hybrid (like the one in the link above) would be best?
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

KyleAAA wrote:Around the $450 range seems to be where quality jumps significantly. I would expect a $500 bike to last a looooong time with regular maintenance while I wouldn't necessarily expect the same from a $250 bike. More expensive bikes are definitely worth it if you ride a lot, but I wouldn't expect a huge jump in quality between a $500 and a $700 bike. Haven't ridden this particular model, but it probably falls somewhere near the sweet spot on the price/quality scale for casual riders. I'd recommend taking a look at some of the Fuji hybrids in that price range, as well.
I'm a recreational rider, not too serious but I like the exercise. I'd like to ride more often but can only ride on the weekend when the weather permits. It's usually 2-3 times per month. I'd like to ride more often but that isn't really feasible with my current schedule.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

JDot gives great information, I currently have four bikes in the stable, of varying vintages and configuration. The Trek's look fine, you might consider the 7.2 for a few hundred less.

Most of the bike frames in this price range (under $1000 or so) are made in one of two or three factories in China (including Taiwan.) The components are all standard across brands so it simplifies your decision to what JDot emphasizes, how it fits! In addition to the length of the seat tube (that's the tube between the seat and the bottom bracket) the length of the top tube (from the seat to the front of the bike) is also key to a good fit.

Going to a good local bike shop (not the REI or Performance where the chances of an "upsell" are greater IMO) will be worth every extra dollar you might spend there. Ask around bikers in your area for the name of a good option.

Happy pedaling! :D
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Imbros

Post by Imbros »

tony5412 wrote:
JDot wrote:First, I would consider what type of riding you want to do. Mountain, road, hybrid for cruising in a neighborhood/riding to work, etc. It sounds like you are in the last category. Second, I would consider purchasing a bike. Realize that you reach the point of diminishing returns very quickly. I would buy from a local bike store even though it will be a little more expensive initially. Don't let them up-sell you. You reach points of diminishing return rather quickly. A $500 bike might do you very well. You might not notice much difference between a $500 and $1,000 bike. Likewise, after around $1,000, you probably won't notice much of a difference until you pay $3,000. The difference between a $4,000 and $10,000 bike would not be noticeable to most mortals.
I ride bike trails (mostly flat) but also some paved back roads (mostly flat but some hills). No mountains nearby or the like. This leads me to believe that a road bike or hybrid (like the one in the link above) would be best?
If you are going to bike on gravel at any point (many bike trails are gravel around here), I would recommend a hybrid.
There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness and truth. -L. Tolstoy
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

tony5412 wrote:I'm a recreational rider, not too serious but I like the exercise. I'd like to ride more often but can only ride on the weekend when the weather permits. It's usually 2-3 times per month. I'd like to ride more often but that isn't really feasible with my current schedule.
OK, this reinforces the idea that the $500 price point will work just fine for you, especially if you can snag a last year's model. Spending more considering your usage would not be a good use of $$.

EDIT: Right, a hybrid with 700cm wheels would be the way to go, no need for a front shock.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
imbogled

Post by imbogled »

Here is a link to an excellent review of various hybrid bikes, the Trek 7.2 is listed as the favorite. I have my eye on one.
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-hy ... uter-bike/
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Go to a "real" bike shop. Tell them what you ride, how you ride and so fourth. Ask the options. Find a bike that you might consider. Ask to take it for a test ride. You will be amazed by the difference.

$650 is not expensive for a good bike. 2 years ago, I bought an entry trek road bike for $700 for my son. I ride with him on my old road bike built in 1974 from the absolutely best available components (I raced and worked at a bike shop at the time). His bike is as light as mine, has better shifters, works smoother and rides as well as my bike. I spent $700 to build my bike in 1974. The value in today's bikes is phenominal, in my opinion.

Now, if you were to ask about a truly expensive bike (over $10,000), I would not recommend it unless you were competitively cycling and could easily afford it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
JDot

Post by JDot »

tony5412 wrote:

It sounds like you have been given some good advice overall. The hybrid sounds fine for what you want to do. Also, a lot of people would find a true road bike uncomfortable for a recreational rider, especially depending upon whether you have back or neck issues.

As far as "quality" bikes go, I believe you sometimes get more bang for your buck with Trek. I'm not sure if this is true for "hybrid" bikes, but it's mostly true for road bikes when compared to other big name quality brands.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

Thanks all for the feedback. I will have to visit a bike shop and check the bikes out. I am definitely leaning toward the Trek.

The one concern that I have is that there is a higher risk of this bike being stolen. Are there bike stands you can attach to a car that can securely attach a bike to? I have just a low end stand that attaches to the back of the car so anybody can remove the bike with little effort. I have no concern of this happening with my decade-old Huffy from Wal-Mart. Someone might be willing to snatch a bike like this, however.

Do you all just mainly ride from home? Do you transport the bike to a bike trail? Do you take the bike on road trips? Just wondering how you all keep your bike secure.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

tony5412 wrote:Thanks all for the feedback. I will have to visit a bike shop and check the bikes out. I am definitely leaning toward the Trek.

The one concern that I have is that there is a higher risk of this bike being stolen. Are there bike stands you can attach to a car that can securely attach a bike to? I have just a low end stand that attaches to the back of the car so anybody can remove the bike with little effort. I have no concern of this happening with my decade-old Huffy from Wal-Mart. Someone might be willing to snatch a bike like this, however.

Do you all just mainly ride from home? Do you transport the bike to a bike trail? Do you take the bike on road trips? Just wondering how you all keep your bike secure.
Use the same lock used when you lock it to a bike rack. Not sure what carrier you have, but you should be able to get a robust lock attached in some manner.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I have owned quite a few bikes in the $500 to $1,500 range. Most have been in the cyclo-cross group that I used for commuting.

I agree that there is a subtle difference between a $500 and $1,500 bike. Higher end components are smoother and more durable, but for the average rider they are overkill. If you could be blind folded, being able to tell Tiagra components from 105 or Ultegra would be pretty difficult. You could probably tell Dura Ace or high end SRAM components.

I've come full circle after owning 4 bikes at one time to just riding my 1987 Trek 8000 mountain bike. It might sell for $75 to $100 now. It was my first new bike in 1987 and I managed to keep it through all the bike buying/switching/experimenting.

If you've always wanted to own a $1,000+ bike, do it. Cross it off the list. Then you can decide if you get more biking enjoyment from a $50, $500 or $1,000 or $1,500 bike.

I also had issues with leaving my $1,000+ bike outside in the rain/sun/elements all day at work. When I would bike around and lock the bike, the fear of being stolen was also greater as he price increases.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

Any bike experts want to compare that with this one from bikesdirect:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mer ... y_tour.htm

We bought a pair of Mercier bikes from bikesdirect probably 5 years ago and have gone on several centuries and 300+ mile trips without issues.

If you trust the MSRP on the site, that Mercier bike is on sale for $400 from $1000. However, bringing the bikes in to the local bike shop for a tune up might get you some comments about "internet bikes..."
Last edited by harikaried on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

All good info.

As for locks. I have rocky mounts on top of my car with locks in the front fork. Just make sure you don't do what my wife did and drive into the garage with the bike still on top.

Also treks have serial numbers on them, I'd write it down and keep it somewhere safe. This can help when reporting the bike stolen and find it for sale on craigslist.
SamB

Post by SamB »

This is expensive? In my opinion bikes don't become expensive until you are paying more than $4K-$5K. I have made two bikes starting with the tubing, and I think I might have about $4K into both of them. Basically, I hate working on, or riding cheap bikes.

Of course I don't own a boat, or race stock cars like my neighbor down the street.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

There are a few past threads on bikes and exactly this kind of riding, so you may wish to dig them up.

I have a high-end bike and a commuter bike. The commuter bike is like the one you showed except it has fenders, is cheaper and cost new about $450. It's the bike my kids used when they could not use the car. I think it would be suitable for you. It was not bought at Walmart nor at a local bike shop, but at a store in-between, like Sports Authority or Dick's Sporting Goods which has a bike shop within the store. The fenders are good if you go through puddles or ride in the rain.

You could pay more and get a better bike, but based on what you wrote, you probably should not pay more than $500 for new bike.

And you can get the $5,000 bike later.

A little searching shows that SportsAuthority has a Diamondback Haanjo on sale. Price depends on what you get (fenders or not). This would be a great bike and is very close to the bike we have which is also a Diamondback. Here is the Haanjo with fenders on Amazon. So pretty close in features to the Trek you linked.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Spend a little money and go for the Trek Hybrid. I've put 8000 miles on mine and aside from a couple tires, every two years or so a tune up, and a few spokes here and there it been great. My rides are in the 30-40 mile range and this bike does it for me.
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

If one wants to get into recreational cycling, ride 2-3 times a week, have reliable components, and not have to adjust/spend too much time on maintenance, I would say you'd need to spend at least $600. If it's a road bike, you'll need to spend over $1000, they are more expensive.

Target/Walmart/etc. bikes are complete crap, they are heavy, get out of tune quickly and stay that way, the components are of the lowest quality.
My wife still has her $600 Gary Fisher, it's a great light hybrid bike that has served her for many years and still rides like new. She eventually upgraded to a much more expensive carbon fiber road bike because that's what she wanted.

I don't like it when my tools get in the way. A tool should make the job pleasant. A bike is such a tool - if it's cheap and there's too much chainsuck, the gears don't shift properly, the brakes drag or the wheels go out of true, I will not enjoy my ride. I prefer to pay for a higher-quality bike that will make my rides easy (my Shimano 105 shifts very quickly and very smooth, as compared to my previous bikes - totally worth the extra money).

Go to a bike store and take one of these more expensive ($500-$600) bikes for a ride and see if you can tell the difference in ride quality and if you're willing to pay for it.

P.S. My wife saved a lot of money by finding and paying for a last-year's model (funny, while she was making her selection and figuring out fit over the course of a couple weeks, the store dropped the price an extra $200 - win!). I saved a bunch of money on my bike by buying from REI at the end of August - that's when they start clearancing the bikes. YMMV, of course, you will need to know what you're looking for and find that model and size in stock.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

For what it's worth, my father recently purchased a Trek 7.2 FX and is absolutely thrilled with it. He went from practically zero exercise to doing 20+ mile rides a couple times a week. He even rides with a group now and cannot stop raving about how much fun he's having. He's actually coming down to visit next month and we're going to do a 30 - 40 mile ride together (assuming I can get my cycling legs back in time). I was actually talking to him about it last night and he's interested in looking into renting a carbon road bike for the ride.

That said, proceed with caution. If you're like many of us cyclists, you'll always be salivating over another, more expensive bike. It can be as expensive or cheap a hobby as you make it.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I'm also a recreational biker, here is what I have learned:
- Anything from Target, Costco and Walmart will be a piece of junk. Seriously. Although you'll only spend $300, that money will be wasted and a week later you'll wish you spent just a bit more.
- Anything with 'Trek'/'Specialized' etc in the name will be 30% more than a non brand name bike. Look at the components that are used more than the brand name. (ie. read the model name on the shifters, brakes etc and google them to find the 'tier' being used - on cheaper bikes you'll find low tier components)
- Don't get a 'hybrid' bike - there's no such thing. If you want a general purpose bike that's relatively low cost, get a hard tail mountain bike. It will have a wide range of gearing, have front shocks and likely have 'trail' tires that aren't too knobby. You can add a riser to the handlebars if you want a more comfortable stance.

I bought a bike from bikesdirect (Motobecane) and have been extermely pleased with it. Was $700, comparable bikes elsewhere were $1-1.2k for similar components. However if I were going to spend any more than that, I would find a used bike at a reputable local bike store, ie. get the $3k mountain bike for $1.5k
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

Yes.

I recently upgraded my 15+ year old bicyle. I was originally wanting to spend in the 800 dollar range and what I rode in that price range really wasn't much better than what I had. Not enough anyways to justify spending money for little upgrade

Luckily there was a discontinued 2014 Tricross Elite on sale ($1199) that I rode, which blew me away, normally around $1500. Quick, nimble, fast acceleration, and most importantly amazingly comfortable. I should be able to get at least 15 years out of this bicycle.

Post by 123 »

Since I got back to 3 - 4 times a week (10 -15 miles a ride) recreational riding about 5 years ago I've occasionally looked at upgrading my ride from a 25 year-old Diamondback to something newer. That $450 - $ 600 range is attractive to me as well. The Trek 7.2 has been on my radar for awhile as well as some Marin bikes. I'll probably procrastinate until I need a inconvenient repair, like broken spokes or a worn chain-ring. Maybe if I have to wait long enough just getting a flat tire will be enough to put me over that edge. My present bike is just so reliable and trouble-free it's hard to move on. Maybe the next time I'm on the verge of bringing it in for repair (tune-ups and misc parts/adjustments seem to always run me about $100 every 2 or 3 years) I'll do it.

When I first saw under $1000 bikes with disc-brakes I thought it was time to make an upgrade for safety. Then I read about the potential hassle and expense of disc-brake adjustments, bleeding, and repairs so I've decided by next bike won't have them.

If the higher-end bikes provided more reliability I'd have no reluctance to a considerable upgrade, but that's not the case. I'm not trying to impress anyone so I agree with other posters that $450 - $600 seems to be where you get the most bang for the buck these days.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

tony5412 wrote:I'm a recreational biker. I will occasionally ride the local bike trails or the back roads. I usually ride for an hour or so and count it as part of my workout routine. The weather hasn't been cooperative so it's been one every couple of weeks. I have been riding a Huffy bike that I purchased at Wal-Mart over a decade ago. It is still in good condition.

That said, I was thinking of getting a better/faster bike. A friend recommended this one: ...
In my case, a more expensive bike would not have been worth paying for. I'm also a recreational rider, though I'm retired and probably have time to ride more often than what you've described. I've been very content with a $300 Schwinn Sierra bought in 2000 for $300 at a bike shop. It's well maintained and although it would always be fun just to have a shiny, new bike, I can find no logical reason to buy one.

I don't know much about Huffy bikes or about the Trek you're considering, but others here will. I'm not recommending (or discouraging) a Schwinn (now sold at discount chains), but just sayin' that the important thing for me is a sturdy bike that fits, lasts, and is a joy to ride.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
TFinator

Post by TFinator »

Go to some bike shops. I'd rather ride my $600 cx bike than any $10,000 bike that doesn't fit!
Ride a few, and don't just go to one shop (if possible). See if instead of just doing circles in the parking lot you can actually ride it down the street a ways - to get a real feel for it.
Don't be upsold. They may only have that $750 bike on the shop floor, but there might be another model they can just order for you.
Northster

Post by Northster »

I would definitely say $500 is a minimum. I hear there is a real race to the bottom as builders economize on quality of parts to keep the price down. Also consider Craigslist. Good bikes go for substantial discounts. In either case take some time to consider proper size for you.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Not to be snobbish, but that Trek, at $660, is considered pretty much entry-level in terms of road-type bikes, so def NOT expensive for a road bike.

$660 is def pricey to most non-bike riders, but it's the rock-bottom minimum for new bike-shop type road bikes. You can't even get the typical 'drop bar' (curvy U-shaped handlebar) bikes for <$700 without a sale, and the quality of the components (shifters, derailleurs, etc.) while perfectly good for hard riding, are the lowest-entry level on these bikes.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

tony5412 wrote:That said, I was thinking of getting a better/faster bike
tony5412 wrote:Are the more expensive bikes worth it?
There's always a lot of subjective matters when it comes to worth on any topic and it's not just about the item itself. What are you expecting from a "better" bike? What are you unhappy with regarding your current bike? "Expensive" is also subjective. $X for a recreational user may seem expensive but it may seem like entry level pricing to a person more invested in that area of interest. Specify your budget. Give a number or range. What bikes you have tried and what did you like or dislike about them? You have to tell others what would make it worth it to you and what would not.

There's always a point of diminishing returns and where you're comfortable on the curve is something that you have to clarify. Generally speaking, a recreational rider is likely to hit that point much earlier than a hardcore cyclist looking out to eke out every possible bit of performance.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

I'm a mountain biker that just started road biking 2 years ago. I didn't realize how much bikes had gone up since I was in college buying my first mtn. bike.

My advise is to search Craigslist for your next bike. You'll find people who drop $2000 or $3000 on a new bike setup and then think they are going to "start" biking, but really just end up keeping the bike in their garage.

Do your research and when you see a bike you like...look for the going price and see if it's right for you. Just like buying a new car, if you buy one of these bikes from CL, you'll get a 30-40% discount, if not more.

Last year, I bought a $5300 Specialized Roubaix with Di2 electronic shifting for $2900. It was still new, in the box. I had to get a bike shop to put it together. The guy had bought it (he was a mtn biker), and decided he didn't want to get into road biking.

Deals are out there. Patience wins the game.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

The Trek 7.3 is an excellent overall recommendation. They will start being marked down for the year soon. When you said expensive bike, I was thinking about something different and would have expressed doubt for a $4,000 bike. This is a good bike at a good price that will probably make you want to bike more. Look at the Trek website for local dealers and call a few to see if they offer free fits and/or tuning. I bought a bike in that range at my local bike shop and got free tunes for life, they probably weren't thinking of me when they made the offer. Worth more than what I paid for the bike.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
dad2000

Post by dad2000 »

I would never buy from a dept store, as they generally sell junk that is poorly assembled. As others have suggested, check out the local bike shops. Find a clearance bike that fits you well. You will find something suitable for $500.

In your price range, I wouldn't necessarily target a specific brand/model of bike. Most entry level brand-name bikes have their frames built in the same factories and use similar components. The most important thing is to get the right type of bike and one that fits you correctly.
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

renue74 wrote:Last year, I bought a $5300 Specialized Roubaix with Di2 electronic shifting for $2900. It was still new, in the box. I had to get a bike shop to put it together. The guy had bought it (he was a mtn biker), and decided he didn't want to get into road biking.

Did you get a chance to spend any time on that or similar bike before shelling out $3K for it? For that price the bike should fit you perfectly, but how would you know that if the bike was new, in the box?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I used to ride a $200 Schwinn road bike with a group of guys that had $1K-$7K bikes. The first time I went out with them they told me I likely wouldn't be able to keep up - I was able to and probably got more exercise in doing so :) I thought about upgrading as my rides increased to all-day 100-mile rides but then things at work got busy and I fell out of the habit entirely. I later got an off-road mountain bike for $300 that seemed to do the job well but then realized that shocks would probably suite better for the rougher trails but again fell out of the hobby before doing so. (And again I had the pressure of everyone I was riding with having nicer stuff than me...but again - I didn't let it sway me).

If you biking primarily to get an hour's worth of exercise I'd save your money. If you plan to increase the length of your rides or the difficulty of the trails you ride you should upgrade.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

autonomy wrote:
renue74 wrote:Last year, I bought a $5300 Specialized Roubaix with Di2 electronic shifting for $2900. It was still new, in the box. I had to get a bike shop to put it together. The guy had bought it (he was a mtn biker), and decided he didn't want to get into road biking.

Did you get a chance to spend any time on that or similar bike before shelling out $3K for it? For that price the bike should fit you perfectly, but how would you know that if the bike was new, in the box?
I had a friend who had a Roubaix that I had ridden a few times, plus, I had gotten measured a while ago for a different bike.

Yes, the bike was in the original box with all the shipping stuff still attached to it. The previous owner had worked part time in a bike shop and had ordered it for himself. He seemed legit. I met him at his office. He was a traffic study engineer. It would be different if I had met a guy in a dark alley.

With Craigslist, it's hit or miss on the shady deals. I recently was looking for a used stove for a rental house and came across a good deal, but it was too good of a deal and I walked away.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

tony5412 wrote:I'm a recreational biker. I will occasionally ride the local bike trails or the back roads. I usually ride for an hour or so and count it as part of my workout routine. The weather hasn't been cooperative so it's been one every couple of weeks. I have been riding a Huffy bike that I purchased at Wal-Mart over a decade ago. It is still in good condition.

That said, I was thinking of getting a better/faster bike. A friend recommended this one:

Trek 7.3 Hybrid
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/ci ... fx/7_3_fx/

A bit pricey although not as pricey as some that I've seen.

Anyone have experience with these types of bikes?

Are the more expensive bikes worth it? Debating whether to stick with the one I have (which is slower but no worries about it being stolen) or upgrade.
I've got a 7.3 ( several years old ) which is fine around town and the occasional dirt path, but I wouldn't consider it an "off road" bike. If you plan on spending most of your time on bike trails better to look at mountain bike IMO.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

I want a Trek FX 7.5.
Currently have older steel CroMo hybrid and road bikes.
Steel is coming back and Aluminum is getting better rides, from what I understand.
Best lock is, TiGr. Expensive.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
essbeer

Post by essbeer »

Last edited by essbeer on Sun May 06, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

I've posted about bikes before from a couple points of view: As a Boglehead I don't want to spend a lot but I do want enough quality/value to make riding pleasant; also since retiring 3 years ago I have been working in a bike shop where we repair and restore older bikes.

Many manufacturers have multiple product lines ranging from lower quality to higher quality. A few manufacturers that I would consider that are not high end are Trek (I own a Trek hybrid), Specialized (I own an older Specialized mountain bike that I run with 26 x 1.5 tires), Diamondback and Giant (I see a few of these in the shop and have been impressed with their consistent quality), Novara (REI carries them and their modestly priced hybrids are a very nice ride - I did a tune up on my friend's Novara and averaged about 1 to 2 mph faster than my Trek on a 10 mile test ride).

If you prefer riding a little more upright, hybrids are a fine choice. A non suspension mountain bike is also okay if you want to run narrower tires like I do. Front shocks add weight and are not necessary for urban paved trail riding.

A better quality used bike can be had on Craigslist for $100 to $500. There are lots of Trek multitracks and Specialized bikes that should be in the $200 range. At the bike shop where I work we have recently sold a couple of completely restored 10 year old Specialized and Cannondale hybrids in the $250 to $400 range.

The cheaper bikes are more difficult to tune up and maintain. They are often poorly assembled with loose bottom brackets and wheels that need truing. Huffy, Magna, Next, and Roadmaster are brands to avoid. Some Schwinns are borderline okay, others not so much.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

lightheir wrote:Not to be snobbish, but that Trek, at $660, is considered pretty much entry-level in terms of road-type bikes, so def NOT expensive for a road bike.
That Trek is not a road bike. I also read the review linked by imbogled:
imbogled wrote:Here is a link to an excellent review of various hybrid bikes, the Trek 7.2 is listed as the favorite. I have my eye on one.
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-hy ... uter-bike/
which, while not a bad review, was kind of funny because the "steel-wrapped pedals" were clearly not steel-wrapped, but they used alloy. The point was that one didn't want to get plastic pedals. They implied the other bikes did not have good pedals,
"Speaking of, the FX features steel-wrapped Wellgo platform pedals, and none of the equivalent models we looked at from Specialized, Cannondale, Motobecane, Giant, or Diamondback have them. "
but I just looked at the pedals on our old Diamondback and they are metal alloy, not plastic. So my opinion of the review went out the window with that.

I will also state that one doesn't want any steel parts on a bike anymore if one can avoid it. Steel and steel alloy rusts while aluminum alloy does not.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Northster wrote:I would definitely say $500 is a minimum. I hear there is a real race to the bottom as builders economize on quality of parts to keep the price down. Also consider Craigslist. Good bikes go for substantial discounts. In either case take some time to consider proper size for you.
+1 for monitoring your local Craigslist. The bikes section is one of my daily sections to scan through. I am always looking for a higher end bike that someone had hanging in their garage for 4-5 years and now just wants "out of the garage". If you know bikes, there are deals to be had if you have time to search.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

When I retired, I wanted to spend more time bicycling. But, I didn't know how much I would like it or be able to do, so I bought a cheap bike ($300 in 2000) and rode it a fair amount. After riding that bike several times a week for a few years, I decided to get an expensive ($4,000) bike with a professional fit (that could be disassembled "easily" and put in a suitcase for transport on an airplane) and quality components.

Since I live in SF, whenever I want to ride a bike and leave it outside (with 2 locks), I take the cheap one which, frankly, I hate to ride. When I ride locally for exercise, I ride the expensive bike and am always amazed at how much I enjoy it. The cheap one is just a way to get around when theft is a concern.

My recommendation is get a bike that will fit your needs (and your body) at whatever prices you deem reasonable. This might require you to buy a quality seat and some other components to make sure the riding position is comfortable. If later you decide you'd like a better bike, get one. A more expensive bike is a whole different riding experience.

There is some snob appeal to riding a bike that others comment on. There is a guy in the SF Bay Area that makes bikes out of wood. They are really pretty and, I'm sure, generate comments every day (I don't own one, though if I bought another bike, I might get one!). But, that is more like owning an expensive sports car.

Be sure that you know how to maintain whatever bike you get. Things like adjusting brakes and shifters, where to oil, and how to change the tires are important to make sure whatever bike you buy stays safe and usable.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

I should have said something about freewheels/cassettes and gearing in general as you mentioned more speed. Road bikes tend to be geared for more speed and mountain bikes are definitely geared for less top end speed. Hybrids, as the name implies are in the middle.

I prefer the upright riding position to the road bike (drop bar) riding position. My fastest bike is an older road bike that I converted to a quasi-hybrid by replacing the drop bar with a flat bar. (I had to change out the brake levers, and went to grip-shift index shifting at the same time.)

If you buy a bike from a bike shop they can advise you about gearing.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Let me ask you this Peter Foley, it seems that all bikes have the same range of gears at the middle and high end. It is only the low gears that might be different for road bikes where the gears won't go as low as the gears on a mountain bike. But going downhill with either bike on a road, the rider will tend to use the high gear and it will be close the same whether a road bike or a mountain bike.

I think changing the stock gears on bike for the OP is way beyond what this thread is about.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

tony5412 wrote:Thanks all for the feedback. I will have to visit a bike shop and check the bikes out. I am definitely leaning toward the Trek.

You must be parking in fairly nice areas or somebody would steal the rack and leave the Huffy. :twisted:

You can lock a bike to the car using a cable lock. Most cars have a tie down point (used during shipping) below the back bumper. With a little experimenting you'll be able to find a cable or lock that will fit through that. If you have a hitch that's usually another place to lock a cable. An alternative is a cable lock with a two inch ball on the end that you can secure by passing it through the crack in a door and locking the door. None of these are really high security, but they discourage most thieves, at least if you park next to somebody who doesn't use a lock at all.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

I'm not an expert in gearing so maybe someone will chime in with more extensive knowledge. I tend to ride the same exercise route with two of my bikes. Going downhill with similar effort, my mountain bike pedals out at about 18-19 mph while my hybrid pedals out at about 21 mph.

I think this is a combination of gearing and wheel size. Both bikes are 21 speed with 7 speed freewheels in the rear. My friend's Novara, on the same route was about 1+ mph faster. I think it has a smaller high gear on its 7 speed freewheel.

When repairing bikes, sometimes I am able to eliminate chain skipping in high gear by replacing the stock 6 (or 7 speed) freewheel with a similar speed freewheel where the high gear is slightly larger. Chains and freewheels don't always wear at the same rate and this can cause the skipping problem I am referring to. It can be hard to match up a different chain with a slightly worn freewheel and get smooth gearing in all gears.

It would be nice if a gearing expert would chime in and add to the discussion as it is related to the speed issue the OP mentioned.
Last edited by Peter Foley on Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timmay!

Post by Timmay! »

I bought the Trek 7.2 FX a few years ago and it suits my needs nicely. Good hybrid for city roads, trails, dedicated paths. Only thing I had to change out were the cheaper aluminum pedals, but overall very pleased for price/performance.
WallyBird

Post by WallyBird »

livesoft wrote: but I just looked at the pedals on our old Diamondback and they are metal alloy, not plastic. So my opinion of the review went out the window with that.
I'd agree that this would be a good reason to discount the review. Pedals are a personal thing. They're also trivially easy to replace. Some years ago bikes might be sold with plastic pedals, with the understanding that you'd buy the bike and replace the cheap plastic pedals with better pedals of your choice.
I will also state that one doesn't want any steel parts on a bike anymore if one can avoid it. Steel and steel alloy rusts while aluminum alloy does not.
Steel can rust, yes, but under reasonable storage conditions it doesn't. My bikes are all steel framed and going strong after decades of use.

As for steel parts, it really depends on the application. In some cases, like wheel rims and chain rings, steel indicates either a cheap bike or an antique. For other uses-- chains, spokes, crank and pedal spindles -- it's likely the best material for the job.
"But let's be glad for what we've had, and what's to come." | -- Betty Comden & Adolph Green
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Bicycle geometry. Still riding my '85 vintage BCA steel (no rust) mountain bike ($150 new). The bent-forward riding position became uncomfortable, so LBS (experienced owner knew what I wanted/how to get it) modified it to be an upright comfort bicycle: added stem riser, adjustable stem installed straight up, replaced plastic shifters (after one broke) for low-end non-indexed metal shifters (which I've learned to use as thought they were indexed), Ergon comfort handle bar grips, and a new cassette with a granny gear (new 7-speed vs old 6-speed). The bike's personality has completely changed! Now I ride more, not because the bike is significantly different, but because it's modified geometry is much more comfortable. (Changes were ~$250.)

I didn't what to spend money on a new bike until I was certain it was correct for me. So I've used my BCA as a long-term lab to investigate changes/comfort. I ride only bike paths/streets, but vibrations sometime make my hands numb, so about the only thing I think I'm missing is a front shock, or maybe padded gloves (will try the gloves first). That may be the last piece of the puzzle (handlebar vibration) to identifying my new bike's geometry.

Weight. I recall a topic in which the weight of the bike/rider was discussed. Recall one outcome: if rider wants a substantially lighter combination (10-30 pounds lighter), they can buy an expensive bike, or go on a diet. Losing 30 pounds would do me much more good than buying a lighter bike.

Speed. I'm too old to be riding fast, so 12-14 mph on a slight down-hill straight street is max for me. The BCA can do that.

New bike. When I do buy a new bike, it will only be to get a significantly different (more comfortable) bike geometry (because my BCA has morphed into a more comfortable bike). It would be nice to have my feet closer to the ground to avoid a fall when stopping. Thinking it may be time to move to a recumbent (maybe an EZ Racer by Easy Rider). If I go this route, will try to find one on CL and have the LBS tune it up for me.

Bike rack. My bike rack (CL find) is bolted to my Montero's front bumper (easier than blocking rear door or spare tire mounting). Took a little getting use-to to not see it while driving. My bike is tied down (bungee cords) and locked (cable lock through bike frame/wheels, and truck bumper). Agree old bikes are less tempting than new bikes.

Buy a new bike if your Huffy can't be modified to give you what you want.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Billcarpenter

Post by Billcarpenter »

I would agree with most posts here. I ride a few times a week but am not a serious rider. I would recommend the $4-500 range for a nice bike that will last forever. Also, I'd check out Craigslist to see what's around you. Some great deals can be had on bikes that may just need new tires/tubes or brake pads. Items like this can be replaced fairly easily with no special tools and minimal time.