Music player while exercising

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Music player while exercising

Post by Barefootgirl »

Have you found any mp3 players with good sound that are not cumbersome while exercising? (side note: I would not use this near vehicle traffic.)

I'm a huge fan of both music and hiking, so I'm seeking an upgrade. All suggestions appreciated.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
scottyja

Re: Music player while exercising

Post by scottyja »

I'm a fan of the Sansa Clip line of mp3 players. They're cheap and very, very small. Perfect for working out.
lack_ey

Post by lack_ey »

Yeah, an old Sansa Clip+ or Zip should do the trick. They're a bit bulkier (though very light) than more modern electronic gadget designs in the world of anorexic smartphones we live in, but the footprint in the other dimensions is pretty convenient.

Basically all players have passable sound, though these are better than many more expensive models in that regard. What really matters for sound quality is the recording and the earphones/headphones/speakers used. The other hardware usually has minimal effect, though it depends.
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

I like Oakley thump pro

The ear pieces don't push all the way in so you can still hear around u assuming music isn't too loud

They have generics on eBay since it's a discontinued item
JDot

Post by JDot »

If you are an Apple fan, you won't find a smaller more dependable one with better battery life I believe than the iPod shuffle. It doesn't have the features you may find elsewhere. It's just simple and minimal while getting the job done.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I use both an Apple Itouch and a Shuffle when excercising,both fine devices.
For portability I would say the Shuffle is more appropriate,smaller and easily clips on. :happy

Link to Ipod Shuffle :happy

https://www.apple.com/ipod-shuffle/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Why wouldn't you use your smart phone to play music? It will also keep track of your "steps", your heart rate, and map your hiking, cycling, running, etc. Now I don't like the armband thing for phones, so I put my phone in the back pocket of a cycling jersey which I wear whenever I want my phone to track my exercise.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
effillus

Post by effillus »

I have used my iPod Shuffle during hundreds of hours of sweaty running. Never a glitch. Extremely light, clips to clothing or can be held in hand. Earphones are from Wal-Mart, and their most important feature is that they have clips that fit around the ear to hold them in place. No need to spend more than $70 for the whole thing.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

deleted
Last edited by TimeRunner on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
black jack

Post by black jack »

Another vote for the Sansa Clip.

It has three key features for me:
  • (1) it plays FM radio as well as music and audiobooks (in many formats, including the biggies MP3 and WMA);
    (2) it's so small and lightweight that when it falls it is caught by my earbuds (I wear the kind that have a loop over the back of the ear to help hold them in place), but even if it does hit the ground it sustains no damage - unless you drop it into water, in which case see #3;
    (3) it's cheap enough that it's almost disposable - about $40 for the 8 gb model, and it takes a micro-SD card, so for a few more bucks you can have a 40 gb player.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
Toons

Post by Toons »

effillus wrote:I have used my iPod Shuffle during hundreds of hours of sweaty running. Never a glitch. Extremely light, clips to clothing or can be held in hand. Earphones are from Wal-Mart, and their most important feature is that they have clips that fit around the ear to hold them in place. No need to spend more than $70 for the whole thing.

+1 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Barefootgirl wrote:Have you found any mp3 players with good sound that are not cumbersome while exercising? (side note: I would not use this near vehicle traffic.)

I'm a huge fan of both music and hiking, so I'm seeking an upgrade. All suggestions appreciated.

BFG
I have the iPod Nano (6th generation) which is the same size as the shuffle that someone else recommended -- but it has more features. I have several playlists set up - upbeat music for working out on the treadmill, classical for relaxing, white noise for sleeping (it can be plugged into a small speaker or a clock radio so earplugs not required when sleeping). You can also select a particular artist, album (CD?) or song. The music can be played in order or you can shuffle the songs. This can be across your library or at the playlist, artist, or album level. Your library is managed on the computer and you sync your iPod to the computer whenever you make changes online. I really love it.

The iPod Nano also has a radio receiver which I sometimes use in the gym. I have never tried the radio outdoors.

Post by 123 »

Here's another vote for the Sansa Clip family of mp3 players. I've used one for over 5 years while bus riding, walking, and bike riding. No problems. The earphones and cord probably weigh more then the Clip itself. On mine I can insert a small SD card and boost the storage way up. Multiple SD cards give me different libraries of music, audio books, and podcasts, whatever I'm in the mood for. I can listen to FM with it as well but I rarely use that feature. I've used it as MP3 input to my car radio when I've done long drives without suitable sustained radio reception.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Boomer01

Post by Boomer01 »

livesoft wrote:Why wouldn't you use your smart phone to play music? It will also keep track of your "steps", your heart rate, and map your hiking, cycling, running, etc. Now I don't like the armband thing for phones, so I put my phone in the back pocket of a cycling jersey which I wear whenever I want my phone to track my exercise.
This. I've had a few mp3 players over the years, but after they broke I just began using my phone and questioned why I didn't do this sooner. You don't have to worry about keeping it charged and it's always with you. I have an app which keeps track of my weightlifting exercises as well.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Another vote for the 6th-gen iPod Nano.

It's the perfect exercise MP3 player. Why they stopped making them in that form factor is beyond me. :oops:
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

Smartphone with bluetooth earbuds. I have an iPhone 6 and I use these: http://amzn.com/B00FO0IHMY It's a great combination.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

wageoghe wrote:Smartphone with bluetooth earbuds.
Completely agree on the smartphone with bluetooth headphones. Since most people already have a smartphone, all you need is a decent set of head phones to workout in. I personally do not like wires on my earbuds since they constantly get caught in the weights I am using. My wife does not mind the wires.

Currently I am using the motorolla S11 flex
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1817902913 ... =82&chn=ps
The unit is very light, I have no issues benching or it getting in the way behind my head. The earbuds are in ear and fit well. The sound quality is pretty good. Though I do not need great sound quality since I am working out. Usually I just lock my phone up in a nearby cubby/locker and workout with just the headset around my head. Would never get a wired setup again.

My wife does not like the behind the head bluetooth headphones she feels it bounces on the back of her head and bothers her. I personally don't notice it at all. She prefers the in ear ones with the wire under the chin. Again, I hate those since several times I have had them get pulled out by workout equipment.

Good luck with your search and purchase.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

wageoghe wrote:Smartphone with bluetooth earbuds. I have an iPhone 6 and I use these: http://amzn.com/B00FO0IHMY It's a great combination.
These are horrible for working out since they loosely rest around your neck or on your shoulders and can easily fall off when exercising.

I have tested about 5 or 6 products before buying the motorola above.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Yet another vote for the Sansa Clip.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

i agree with the comments about the nano 6. it was my favorite of everything i've used over the years. wore it out, now using nano 7.

one caveat - i am just now experiencing problems with the itunes software that others have complained about online for a year. impossible to delete podcasts from itunes. if anyone has figured out how to solve that problem i'd love to hear it.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

livesoft wrote:Why wouldn't you use your smart phone to play music? It will also keep track of your "steps", your heart rate, and map your hiking, cycling, running, etc. Now I don't like the armband thing for phones, so I put my phone in the back pocket of a cycling jersey which I wear whenever I want my phone to track my exercise.
I agree. If you are a music lover and are looking to upgrade, time for a smart phone. I use some bluetooth wireless Logitech earbuds while running. I found out that they are pretty waterproof a couple of weeks ago too.

Cosmo
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

2 reasons.

1.the phone is much heavier and bulkier than a dedicated music player, and
2.i'd rather expose my cheap music player to the elements, sweat, and other types of damage rather than my much more expensive phone.
Carson

Post by Carson »

I'm a long distance cyclist and just graduated to an iphone. I was all excited to just have one device on the road but I have been a bit disappointed with using my iphone and a bluetooth headset (the one ear style) just due to battery life of both devices. For 1-2 hour increments I find it comfortable and reliable, but when I am gone for a long term, I keep my phone just as a phone in case of emergency/map guidance. I primarily use an old 8-gb ipod (before there was the 'nano') with just one earbud in and it has been small and reliable.

DH works out for less time primarily weightlifting and got a bluetooth headphones - jabra move, I believe. He likes that setup.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

iPod Shuffle was one of the few products that Apple has made that was value-oriented. No wonder they killed it.
Luckily they can still be found on Ebay.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I cycle a lot on narrow roads. I like to listen to audio books when I ride. While this seems dangerous, I only use one earbud in the ear that isn't facing traffic. I wrote a review of the One Good Earbud that puts both channels in the single bud so that you can listen to music, as well as, a spoken audio without missing anything.

It does have a wire, which isn't a problem for me as I simply put my iPhone in my back jersey pocket and use the button on the microphone to stop and start the audio.

I used to use a dedicated audio player, the size of a pack of gum, that I used to wear in a small holder on my Camelback. I switched to using my iPhone as it is much easier to have a single place (both on my computer and in my hand) for all my music and books.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

I much prefer a smart phone as it can be used to call for help or as a means of identification in case of injury or illness that renders one unable to communicate. Why carry a phone and a music player when the phone will do it all?
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

A few years ago, I bought a used Sana e250 for about $20 on Amazon or Ebay and use it when I'm out gardening, hacking at weeds, etc. I believe the e250 is a generation or two older than the Sansa Clip. While I've dropped the player on the ground more times than I can remember, and have burned through at least half a dozen sets of earbuds, the e250 keeps going strong. The only thing that is somewhat annoying is that it doesn't support some of the newer audio formats that podcasts occasionally use (MP4, I believe).
Carson

Post by Carson »

Thanks Raybo, that's helpful. There are a few songs that are so off kilter when I use one earbud. It makes me kind of chuckle, but it hasn't been too much of a problem. Good to know there is a sol'n.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Hmmmm,,,,now if I could just figure a way to "clip" my S5 on this afternoon before I go jogging :happy

livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Toons wrote:Hmmmm,,,,now if I could just figure a way to "clip" my S5 on this afternoon before I go jogging :happy
I jog with my S5 in one of my three back shirt pockets like Raybo. I put water bottles in the other two pockets.
Toons

Post by Toons »

livesoft wrote:
Toons wrote:Hmmmm,,,,now if I could just figure a way to "clip" my S5 on this afternoon before I go jogging :happy
I jog with my S5 in one of my three back shirt pockets like Raybo. I put water bottles in the other two pockets.

Wow a shirt with three pockets,,, I could carry the phone ,a bottle of water and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich ...excellent :happy
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^ And an added benefit: If the water bottles bounce up and down, then one is not running smoothly and keeping one's hips from going up and down. One can adjust their technique until the water bottles don't bound nor move up and down. At that point one is running very efficiently. Normally, one would pay a coach hundreds of dollars to get this tip, but it's free here on Bogleheads.

Post by 2015 »

miles monroe wrote:2 reasons.

1.the phone is much heavier and bulkier than a dedicated music player, and
2.i'd rather expose my cheap music player to the elements, sweat, and other types of damage rather than my much more expensive phone.
Not really:

1) Almost everyone at my gym keeps the phone in their gym shorts pocket while working out, and it looks neither heavy or bulky.
2) A case will eliminate all of these issues.

That said, I've been using an Ipod since forever and if after experimenting with bringing the phone in its place I don't like it, I'll simply switch back to the Ipod.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Bumping this thread as I am looking for a music player but hesitate when I saw this is from 6 years ago. And electronics changing so fast..

Is the advice here still valid?

Ideally in addition to listen to music (spotify, transferred from computer, audiobook), I can also listen to podcast.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

Are dedicated music players a thing anymore? I use my smartphone to play music. Since I carry my phone with me when walking/running/hiking it doesn’t make sense to carry yet another device.
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

Barefootgirl wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:57 pm Have you found any mp3 players with good sound that are not cumbersome while exercising? (side note: I would not use this near vehicle traffic.)

BFG
Apple air pods have been great. I’ve been lifting/running over 10 years. Highly recommend.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Rose wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:35 pm Bumping this thread as I am looking for a music player but hesitate when I saw this is from 6 years ago. And electronics changing so fast..

Is the advice here still valid?

Ideally in addition to listen to music (spotify, transferred from computer, audiobook), I can also listen to podcast.
Nothing has changed and nothing has advanced as this is a mature, niche market. Sandisk Clip's are it.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I use a sports watch and a pair of Bluetooth ear buds. I’m an Apple person, but brand doesn’t really matter. It just works and I always have it with me.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

+1 wireless bluetooth.

I've got to dig up and dust off my Sansa Clip and try to sell it on eBay. Used prices are more than what I bought mine new (and more than what is listed in the WDC Sandisk store). I didn't think they made anymore, but record players are back, too.

https://shop.westerndigital.com/c/mp3-players
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

I’ve always had music plugged into my ears for sports and at work, etc.

Sony Walkman for cassette then cds.
All types of battery powered MP3 players great if you can’t recharge things
Apple iPod
iPhone with great Bluetooth ear buds on a headband with noise canceling.

Lately the iPhone has really come into its own with such a large capacity, but the iPod was the best for simplicity and light weight.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

humblecoder wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:46 pm Are dedicated music players a thing anymore? I use my smartphone to play music. Since I carry my phone with me when walking/running/hiking it doesn’t make sense to carry yet another device.
That seems to be the way things are going for most people.

But I feel like my phone is too heavy/bulky to carry on a run though. My trusty old iPod is about the size and weight of a pack of gum--I don't even feel it. Much better chance of surviving if I drop it too. :-)
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I use my iPhone SE (1st gen), it’s relatively small, and with Apple Music I have millions of tracks.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

JupiterJones wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:54 pm
humblecoder wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:46 pm Are dedicated music players a thing anymore? I use my smartphone to play music. Since I carry my phone with me when walking/running/hiking it doesn’t make sense to carry yet another device.
That seems to be the way things are going for most people.

But I feel like my phone is too heavy/bulky to carry on a run though. My trusty old iPod is about the size and weight of a pack of gum--I don't even feel it. Much better chance of surviving if I drop it too. :-)
When I run, I like having a phone with me, just in case I get into trouble and need to call someone. I use an Amphipod belt pack (https://www.runningwarehouse.com/Amphip ... -A234.html) to hold my phone. It is secure and has very little bounce in my experience.