Board Recommendations: Vacation for Babymoon

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
wannabebogler

Board Recommendations: Vacation for Babymoon

Post by wannabebogler »

My wife and I are a little stumped so I figured the board would probably have a lot of good ideas. We have a child due in October and we would really like to take a few days vacation just ourselves, probably 2-4 days. We would love to go to Chicago or New York, but my wife is having a bit more trouble physically than what she is accustomed to while pregnant, so we thought it might be a good idea to go somewhere less pedestrian-centric.

We are based out of Atlanta so I think anything within a 5-6 hour flight would be ok. She's not up for anything that has her in a vehicle for more than 8 hours, such as Hawaii. Cost doesn't have to be an issue, but I would like to try and keep it under 3-4k.

If you suggest Florida, that's fine. We generally visit the Emerald Coast a couple of times per year, so we would prefer somewhere different, if that's your suggestion.

Thanks in advance!
Rupert

Re: Board Recommendations: Vacation for Babymoon

Post by Rupert »

I would go to an all-inclusive spa/resort. And I would go somewhere cool. Getting out of Atlanta (and the entire Deep South) during the third trimester would be quite a nice treat. It sucks being very pregnant in late summer anywhere, but especially in the humid South. I might choose a resort in Northern California (Monterrey?) or in the Rockies (Park City, Aspen, or Jackson Hole?). Be sure to check your airline's rules re late-term pregnant fliers. In the US, most airlines won't allow pregnant women to fly without a doctor's certification during the final month of pregnancy (and your wife probably wouldn't want to be too far away from her doctor anyway).
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Rupert wrote:I would go to an all-inclusive spa/resort. And I would go somewhere cool. Getting out of Atlanta (and the entire Deep South) during the third trimester would be quite a nice treat. It sucks being very pregnant in late summer anywhere, but especially in the humid South. I might choose a resort in Northern California (Monterrey?) or in the Rockies (Park City, Aspen, or Jackson Hole?). Be sure to check your airline's rules re late-term pregnant fliers. In the US, most airlines won't allow pregnant women to fly without a doctor's certification during the final month of pregnancy (and your wife probably wouldn't want to be too far away from her doctor anyway).
As gorgeous as places like Aspen can be, if your wife is already having "a bit more trouble physically" (no surprise there, late in pregnancy), I'd suggest avoiding high altitudes, unless she already KNOWS that she has no trouble at all with the higher altitude.

Some people have no trouble with the high altitudes, but some, including some who are quite physically fit, can have a surprisingly difficult time with it.

Another possibility, one that would avoid the potential problems of travel (both her comfort and distance from her regular OB care, just in case), would be to head to a luxury hotel nearby, or at least not too far away.
Perhaps something on the water, for the view and perhaps some gentle boating if she enjoys that.
Is there something on a lake nearby, in a somewhat cooler place?

What you would save on transportation...? Splurge on some gentle massages (prenatal types, and only with OB's blessing, perhaps), including some couples massages or whatever she finds relaxing.
Or use the travel budget to stay an extra couple of days.

Enjoy room service "whenever she pleases", etc.
Bring or buy (if traveling by plane) some sparkling cider (non-alcoholic) and enjoy it in nice champagne flutes generously throughout the stay, for a bit of a festive touch :D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
bayview

Post by bayview »

The Greenbrier, Sulphur Springs WV

Grove Park Inn, Asheville NC (one day the weather will cool off...)

Highlands NC and Cashiers NC area (easy drive from Hotlanta, if mountain roads aren't an issue)
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
Beth*

Post by Beth* »

As someone who flies a lot, I would estimate that half the flights I have taken in the past year have had a significant delay or some other hassle. I remember being very tired during the last month of pregnancy and I doubt I would have found dealing with the airlines either comfortable or enjoyable.

How about a resort in the mountain of North Carolina? That should only be a 3 or 4 hour drive from Atlanta depending on exactly where you live and where you are going. I have never been there, but I hear that Asheville is quite nice. It should be cooler because of the altitude, but unlike Colorado the altitude is not high enough to affect breathing. I'd look for someone place with comfortable beds, a good restaurant, and a lake for swimming. Perhaps some easy hiking trails would be nice, but I wouldn't count on doing a lot of hiking during late pregnancy.

Your wife will need to stop and walk around every hour or so while driving to prevent blood clots. She would need to do this while flying also and it's a lot easier to do when driving than when flying.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

A B&B nearby and Ben & Jerry’s Factory Tour http://www.benjerry.com/about-us/factory-tours
;)
Watty

Post by Watty »

wannabebogler wrote:If you suggest Florida, that's fine.
Florida in August while seven months pregnant. :oops:

That would be a vacation that you would never forget, or be allowed to forget.

I would just look for a cabin or a resort in the North Georgia mountains or North Carolina. Preferably with rocking chairs.
Topic Author
wannabebogler

Post by wannabebogler »

Watty wrote:

I would just look for a cabin or a resort in the North Georgia mountains or North Carolina. Preferably with rocking chairs.
We've never minded the heat before. Granted she's pregnant, but she really enjoys hanging out at the beach under a tent, even when it's hot.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

A nearby luxury hotel as suggested above is my thought also.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

+1 Greenbrier
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

wannabebogler wrote:
Watty wrote:

We've never minded the heat before. Granted she's pregnant, but she really enjoys hanging out at the beach under a tent, even when it's hot.
It's different when you're pregnant. Trust us on this one since you've never been through it before. She will swell up like a balloon, especially around the ankles, and won't be able to catch her breath because the kid is pushing her digestive organs up into the space previously occupied by her lungs.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

Rupert wrote:She will swell up like a balloon, especially around the ankles, and won't be able to catch her breath because the kid is pushing her digestive organs up into the space previously occupied by her lungs.
Being a cat lady is starting to look even better than I thought. :D
rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity »

Rupert wrote:
It's different when you're pregnant. Trust us on this one since you've never been through it before. She will swell up like a balloon, especially around the ankles, and won't be able to catch her breath because the kid is pushing her digestive organs up into the space previously occupied by her lungs.
+1

We did a babymoon in Key West during a January when I was 6 months pregnant, and my feet swelled up so much I had to buy new shoes there. I also recommend someplace not too hot, and someplace you don't have to fly to.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

My only advice is to go ASAP. The closer one gets to 34-36 weeks the more you will be concerned about not how nice the amenities are, but if you will be okay with delivering in that local if she goes early.

Good Luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
Keiser2015

Post by Keiser2015 »

My suggestion would be Charleston, Savannah, or St. Augustine. Lots to see and close to home.

I wish I took more/longer trips before the kids came. Once a baby is here your life totally changes. Not for the better or for the worse - just different. One thing for sure you definitely find out what true love is all about.
Last edited by Keiser2015 on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Go someplace where you can use a rental car and not have to rely on public transportation and ample parking everywhere you go. I also wouldn't recommend international as you would never know the unexpected. You do not want to deal with ER visit in a foreign country.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

wannabebogler wrote:We've never minded the heat before. Granted she's pregnant, but she really enjoys hanging out at the beach under a tent, even when it's hot.
Jekyll Island or St. Simons Island. Both are close. Both are on the beach. Both have modest to luxurious offerings.
travelnut11

Post by travelnut11 »

I would also recommend going sooner rather than later. I had to fly for my mom's funeral at 34/35 weeks pregnant and it was torture. I didn't even have a huge bump as I'm tall but it was just so uncomfortable to sit in those tiny seats and try to hurry (ha!) through the airports.

We did a 3 day babymoon to the B&B we got married at last year. It was perfect because it was only 1.5 hours away in the car and we mostly relaxed by reading and playing board games and eating delicious food. The first day we did do some sightseeing/walking around that got to be a little painful for me but frequent sit-down breaks helped. I was 30 weeks at that point and while the relaxing could've been done later the walking around/sightseeing would've just gotten harder any later.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrowmindedness ...and many of our people need it solely on these accounts. - Mark Twain | | Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing. - Helen Keller
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

wannabebogler, this really should be your wife's choice. There have been lots of excellent recommendations made here but the decision should be her's.

What are her preferences? Some people like the mountains, others prefer the beach. Does she like visiting historic sites, museums, art galleries? Taking in Broadway shows? Shopping ? (You mentioned NY and Chicago)

Or is she more an outdoors type, interested in nature? Obviously, in her condition, you can cross off Disney World or any of the Six Flags Amusement parks. Or taking the Mammoth Cave tour.

If cost is not really a big factor, just let her pick a place.

(Would be doing a disservice if I didn't warn you about Baltimore. Forget it. Even if her fondest dream is to visit the National Aquarium, or the grave of Edgar Allen Poe, the situation is again very, very dangerous. Even areas considered previously "safe" for tourists, uh oh, no more.
Topic Author
wannabebogler

Post by wannabebogler »

drawpoker wrote:wannabebogler, this really should be your wife's choice. There have been lots of excellent recommendations made here but the decision should be her's.

What are her preferences? Some people like the mountains, others prefer the beach. Does she like visiting historic sites, museums, art galleries? Taking in Broadway shows? Shopping ? (You mentioned NY and Chicago)

Or is she more an outdoors type, interested in nature? Obviously, in her condition, you can cross off Disney World or any of the Six Flags Amusement parks. Or taking the Mammoth Cave tour.

If cost is not really a big factor, just let her pick a place.

(Would be doing a disservice if I didn't warn you about Baltimore. Forget it. Even if her fondest dream is to visit the National Aquarium, or the grave of Edgar Allen Poe, the situation is again very, very dangerous. Even areas considered previously "safe" for tourists, uh oh, no more.
Absolutely she should decide. She and I have discussed several times and couldn't come up with any good places. Greenbrier looks to be an excellent place to go, but unfortunately it's too far, either by plane or car.

Her favorite place is the beach. However, I showed her the pictures of the Ritz-Carlton at Lake Oconee, and I think she's decided to either go there, or spend a few days in Cashiers/Highlands.

I think the mobility problem came to light for her last night. We went to Rod Stewart in Alpharetta, and she had a really difficult time getting around. I told her from here on out, let's just do things to help us relax, rather than those that entail a considerable physical demand.

Thanks for all the recommendations, and for the polite critiques of the plans that might make my wife miserable :-).
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Her favorite place is the beach and she is not interested in St. Simons or Jekyll Island?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

One final recommendation for a place I've always wanted to visit: Blackberry Farm in the Smokies. I'm told the accommodations and food are world-class.
Topic Author
wannabebogler

Post by wannabebogler »

retiredjg wrote:Her favorite place is the beach and she is not interested in St. Simons or Jekyll Island?
We are a bit of beach snobs. We are in love with Caribbean beaches, but there isn't much like them in FL, GA, SC, NC, AL. The closest we have found within a reasonable distance is the Emerald Coast with the beautiful green beaches.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

wannabebogler wrote:
retiredjg wrote:Her favorite place is the beach and she is not interested in St. Simons or Jekyll Island?
We are a bit of beach snobs. We are in love with Caribbean beaches, but there isn't much like them in FL, GA, SC, NC, AL. The closest we have found within a reasonable distance is the Emerald Coast with the beautiful green beaches.
Well, if you really need the Caribbean type beach, those ideas will simply not do. :wink:
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

Rupert wrote: It's different when you're pregnant. Trust us on this one since you've never been through it before. She will swell up like a balloon, especially around the ankles, and won't be able to catch her breath because the kid is pushing her digestive organs up into the space previously occupied by her lungs.
This is correct. Also, you don't want her or the baby overheating. Another safety point I'd like to make is don't fly too late - airlines won't let you fly after 34-36 weeks. Flying prior to 34 weeks they'll let you on, but is it a good idea? You should consult your doctor first.
bayview

Post by bayview »

Rupert wrote:One final recommendation for a place I've always wanted to visit: Blackberry Farm in the Smokies. I'm told the accommodations and food are world-class.
+1

Easy drive (south of Knoxville, in Blount County.) Go stick your feet in the creek. Refreshingly cool, even this time of year.

Wear your stretchy waistbands! :D (this advice applies for non-pregnant visitors as well)
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Being from Kalifornia, I highly recommend the Napa/Sonoma area! You could sample the wine and she could drive! :beer

Or the coast highway, it is beautiful.
celia

Post by celia »

How about staying in your own town at a fancy place or B&B. It'll give you a different view of what you think you know. And if something doesn't work out, her doctor, hospital, and own bed are nearby.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.