What about the Ford Edge? [Revised for 2015 model]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sunny_socal

Re: 2015 Ford Edge

Post by sunny_socal »

Same here, last three vehicles are Honda. Tried Ford three times.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Ford vehicle quality is good nowadays.
There are 3-4 Fords in my driveway quite often and I'm looking at getting a new F-150.

Main issue should be how the particular vehicle, Edge, fits your needs...
Attempted new signature...
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Had an 07 explorer. The nickname "exploder" seems appropriate. Currently, my mom drives an 09 fusion which I own. 4 cyl auto and has been perfect. I believe Ford was using Mazda engines in this generation fusion.

I would use consumer reports for a first check. They have been wrong about first model year cars. I bought an Audi one after cr gave it a big thumbs up. They later received lots of real data and changed to not recommended. Mine needed about $15,000 in warrantee repairs in the first 2 years.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
rob

Post by rob »

timboktoo wrote:I've personally learned to stay away from American-made cars. I stick with Honda now.
Might want to check where your Honda was made, rather than the parent company headquarters location - I think it has to be more nuanced than a single brand. Some models are more reliable than others even within a brand due to a lot of reasons. Some brands have better procedures but that changes over time.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

How did you do with the electronic dash board, especially the radio?
This area has gotten poor reviews on most if not all Fords.
Dan
Dan999
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

timboktoo wrote:I've personally learned to stay away from American-made cars. I stick with Honda now.

- Tim
Couldn't agree more.

We made the mistake of buying a barely-driven 2013 Ford Escape and it has had numerous issues, one of which is affecting the engine and transmission and the dealer is unable to find the root cause. We're about to be out of warranty on it, so I'm sure it'll explode the next day.

We're already looking at and test driving Honda CRVs and they blow it out of the water in every aspect.

You couldn't pay me to buy another Ford in my lifetime.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I have a friend with an Edge (not sure if its a 2014 or 2015) but they drive a ton, and have been very happy with it (they have had it for a year and already has 30k+ miles on it). I was also pretty impressed with the interior. Drive 3 cars in the same class, read consumer reports, and make a decision.
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

I looked at all 5 seat SUVs and decided on Venza. Typical solid Toyota product. I am happy after 25k miles. Pretty decent deals on them as they are under the radar. Toyota tries to market it as a wagon, which is probably a mistake as it is basically the Toyota version of the Lexus RX.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

There is a ton of reasonable and unreasonable "car bias" out here.

1. Only buy Subaru's
2. Never buy American
3. Only buy Honda
4. Only buy Toyota
5. <insert bias here>

Past history does not predict future results (for stocks or cars).

My bias: We own 3 Fords. One is a 2007 Ford Edge. It is nearing 100k and has been a very good vehicle. Good smooth ride, routine maintenance, great in snow, good mix of space with room for 5. I had a Toyota and a Honda. Call it my "experimental" years. They were ok, but had their issues. Since then I just stick with Ford. Right? Wrong? Yes, Yes. Maybe, No, No. My grand papi owned Fords, my papi owned Fords. etc.

Our 2014 Ford Explorer Limited is a very well made vehicle (In my opinion). My wife drives it and she likes the style, features and how it drives.

The next door neighbor bought a 2015 Edge. I sat in it and it seemed like great updates from the previous model. Base your decision on the dealer, service options and compare it to other options for price/features. Don't not buy it because it isn't a Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Lexus or BMW. :sharebeer
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

JimmyD wrote:

- Tim
Couldn't agree more.

We made the mistake of buying a barely-driven 2013 Ford Escape and it has had numerous issues, one of which is affecting the engine and transmission and the dealer is unable to find the root cause. We're about to be out of warranty on it, so I'm sure it'll explode the next day.

We're already looking at and test driving Honda CRVs and they blow it out of the water in every aspect.

If you think you can't get a lemon Honda, I'll tell you my tale. 2007 Honda Odyssey. New. I had all service done at the Honda dealer. With 47k miles the front middle spark plug fell out. It loosened up (heat/cold/repeat?) and exploded when it came out. Chunks fell down into the engine and wrecked the entire bottom and top end. Out of warranty. Honda initially declined any responsibility. I read a bunch of similar tales online. Close to $8k for a full new engine. At the time the vehicle was worth maybe $12k. I told them to just have the vehicle. They ended up coming back and I ended up paying about $1,000 out of pocket. Once fixed I "offered" them the option to buy the vehicle from me with a brand new engine. They did and I escaped my Honda with only $1,000 paid for that issue. Was it their fault? My fault? I had all my service done there. I read about a simple fix of taking out each spark plug and greasing the threads every 20k miles or so. But it was never done. It is hard to know about issues you don't know about.

I don't mind if you never buy another Ford. I likely won't buy another Honda. That is how it goes. But if you take these things and make blanket statements for others, there would not be any cars you could buy. Stuff happens. You can get a lemon.
mjdaniel

Post by mjdaniel »

My wife and I own a 2007 F150 Super Crew Cab Lariat (with 165,000 miles), a 2007 Ford Mustang GT Convertible (with 85,000 miles) and a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport (with 9100 miles), all purchased new. Happy with all, the Explorer is a pleasure to drive. Whenever I purchase my next car, I am sure it will be a Ford. I also went thru that phase many years ago about do not purchase an American made auto. Times have changed. I think Consumer Reports help, but Google searches bring up enough reviews that assist in the purchase. I always wait for a redesign or new model to be in its second or third year, so there is time to iron out the kinks.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

bloom2708 wrote:
JimmyD wrote:

- Tim
Couldn't agree more.

It must be the same six cylinder engine as the Accord has. One of my neighbors had this happen. Actually, it is quite common from what I've heard. May even be a service bulletin on it. Should be a recall, though.

If you think you can't get a lemon Honda, I'll tell you my tale. 2007 Honda Odyssey. New. I had all service done at the Honda dealer. With 47k miles the front middle spark plug fell out. It loosened up (heat/cold/repeat?) and exploded when it came out. Chunks fell down into the engine and wrecked the entire bottom and top end. Out of warranty. Honda initially declined any responsibility. I read a bunch of similar tales online. Close to $8k for a full new engine. At the time the vehicle was worth maybe $12k. I told them to just have the vehicle. They ended up coming back and I ended up paying about $1,000 out of pocket. Once fixed I "offered" them the option to buy the vehicle from me with a brand new engine. They did and I escaped my Honda with only $1,000 paid for that issue. Was it their fault? My fault? I had all my service done there. I read about a simple fix of taking out each spark plug and greasing the threads every 20k miles or so. But it was never done. It is hard to know about issues you don't know about.

I don't mind if you never buy another Ford. I likely won't buy another Honda. That is how it goes. But if you take these things and make blanket statements for others, there would not be any cars you could buy. Stuff happens. You can get a lemon.
It happens in Accords too. Saw one at my mechanics shop. There may be a service bulletin on it, but it should really be a recall. As cars become more complex in electronics and other components there will be more and more issues, whether or not they are Honda, Toyota, etc., etc.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

JimmyD wrote:

- Tim
Couldn't agree more.

Don't buy a new CRV until you research the "CRV vibration problem".
A 2015 Honda CR-V vibration lawsuit has been filed that alleges the cars rattle and vibrate to the extent it can make an occupant nauseous. Plaintiff Vivian Romaya filed the proposed class-action lawsuit after purchasing a 2015 Honda CR-V in February 2015. The lawsuit alleges Honda knows about the problem but has no idea how to fix it.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/ ... suit.shtml

It has earned the esteemed "Beware of the Clunker" seal awarded by CarComplaints because of the large number of complaints about this issue.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR-V/2015/
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

I'm somewhat in the market for a new car and I've recently driven a Audi Q5, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Acura RDX, Lexus GX 470, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Sequoia, and a Ford Explorer Sport. The vehicle I'm most impressed with thus far is the Explorer. Really enjoyed the comfort of the seats, horsepower, interior among other things including value. I once owned an Ford F-150 and the engine blew at 50000 miles. I vowed I would never buy another Ford. This was 10 years ago. Times have changed. I'm going to choose the best vehicle and if it's a Ford that is what I will get. I considered the Edge, but prefer the Explorer. The Edge is a very nice vehicle also.
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

Browser wrote: I'm fishing BH lake to see if anyone else has checked the 2015 out or even has bought one and what your thoughts are
There is a recent thread on the Ford Edge:

viewtopic.php?t=169238

Started by you.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Pinotage wrote:
Browser wrote: I'm fishing BH lake to see if anyone else has checked the 2015 out or even has bought one and what your thoughts are

viewtopic.php?t=169238

Started by you.
I know, but I was attempting to gather intelligence on the 2015 Edge specifically from people with first-hand knowledge either as shoppers or owners. It's a completely new model. So far, the fishing hasn't been so good... :( But I appreciate any and all comments nonetheless. :thumbsup
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: What about the Ford Edge? [Revised for 2015 model]

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Browser - that was confusing me as well. I merged your 2015 Edge thread into the earlier one and retitled the combined thread. I also made an update in the first post.

That being said, I can also help you with some opinions. Posted elsewhere, I drove both the 2015 Edge and 2015 Escape.

Edge:

First, I'm not a fan of the massive infusion of electonics. To me, it takes away from the driving experience and turns the car into communications central. You can use voice commands for everything, including changing the climate control settings.

The Edge handles like a large luxury car. Smooth and no feel of the road. That's not my style.

Take another look at the cargo capacity. It's a lot, yes. However, the rear door is like a clam shell, meaning that it curves inwards at the rear opening. You can't fit anything as wide as the vehicle through it.

Escape:

I'll take an Escape over the Edge any day. You'd be surprised at the pickup and handling. The cargo handling capacity, while smaller than the Edge, can fit a lot of "stuff" with the rear seats folded down.

Give it a try - if nothing more than to confirm that you like the Edge. You might want to change your mind.

Update: Changed from Eclipse to Escape.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

I downsized from a Nissan Pathfinder. The Edge seems to be little bit bigger than the new CUVs but I chose the Forester because of the positive reports from Consumer Reports, Motor Trend and auto safety agencies. It is perfect for the two of us and our little dog but if you lug lumber, cement and tons of stuff from Costco or take visitors around you may wish for something larger. I plan on keeping my 4 dr. pickup to complement my little Forester. The XT costs $10,000 more than the basic model but the turbo does 0-60 in 6.3 second and sports-mode* glues the all 4 tires around tight mountain turns without letting up on the gas. My daughter got the basic model and is happy with it on icy New Jersey roads to and from work with baby on board.

So, test drive the Forester. You will like the large third window.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

One sign of higher quality and higher grade (google for the difference if you think they are the same) is to look at the wiring harnesses under the hood. Do they look like they were built in an Indonesian hut or slum sweatshop, or assembled on a factory line? Are the connectors high quality, the crimps good? Are the wires suitable heavy gauge for headlights and such? Any moulding or are the wires basically wrapped with electrical tape? How are they fastened, for example, to the firewall? Some cars use basically zip ties or plastic hangers, others will actually surround the harness with a rubber gasket and metal strap and then bolt it to the firewall.

You can tell a lot by popping the hood and taking a close look at the wiring. This is one place where you can cut quality, lower the grade, and save a few bucks on the build, and figure it will last long enough to get through the warranty, but those who care will build to a higher standard than that.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

LadyGeek wrote:^^^ Browser - that was confusing me as well. I merged your 2015 Edge thread into the earlier one and retitled the combined thread. I also made an update in the first post.

That being said, I can also help you with some opinions. Posted elsewhere, I drove both the 2015 Edge and 2015 Escape.

Edge:

First, I'm not a fan of the massive infusion of electonics. To me, it takes away from the driving experience and turns the car into communications central. You can use voice commands for everything, including changing the climate control settings.

The Edge handles like a large luxury car. Smooth and no feel of the road. That's not my style.

Take another look at the cargo capacity. It's a lot, yes. However, the rear door is like a clam shell, meaning that it curves inwards at the rear opening. You can't fit anything as wide as the vehicle through it.

Eclipse:

I'll take an Eclipse over the Edge any day. You'd be surprised at the pickup and handling. The cargo handling capacity, while smaller than the Edge, can fit a lot of "stuff" with the rear seats folded down.

Give it a try - if nothing more than to confirm that you like the Edge. You might want to change your mind.
Eclipse - are you referring to the Ford Escape? I seem to recall an Eclipse that I think was made by Mitsubishi. If it is the Escape, check out the small overlap crash test results -- the Escape got a Poor rating. That alone takes it out of consideration for me.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... 4-door-suv
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

Browser wrote:
Pinotage wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=169238

Started by you.
I know, but I was attempting to gather intelligence on the 2015 Edge specifically from people with first-hand knowledge either as shoppers or owners. It's a completely new model. So far, the fishing hasn't been so good... :( But I appreciate any and all comments nonetheless. :thumbsup
Gotcha.

Drove the 2015 Edge earlier this year when car shopping, agree with Lady Geek's impression. It was smooth and comfortable, but not much driver engagement. Engine was quite powerful but it's not a car I would ever want to drive with much gusto because the handling felt vague and it is pretty heavy. As an around town/highway cruiser I think it would be competent and comfortable but not a lot of fun. Visibility was so-so. From Ford, for the size and price I think the Explorer is a better package.

Would anticipate decent reliability, broad dealer network, and readily available parts/eventual support from indie mechanics.

I know you've considered them before, but it bears comparison with the Acura RDX and Volvo XC60. We liked both, would buy the Volvo if choosing between the three models mentioned in this post.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Browser wrote:...Eclipse - are you referring to the Ford Escape? I seem to recall an Eclipse that I think was made by Mitsubishi. If it is the Escape, check out the small overlap crash test results -- the Escape got a Poor rating. That alone takes it out of consideration for me.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... 4-door-suv
I blame my husband for looking at Eclipse reviews online while I was posting and have updated my post. :oops:

If you're going by crash ratings and just don't feel comfortable with an Escape, then OK.

To be fair, I also drove a 2015 Forester and would prefer this over the Escape.

This may be a moot point, as my husband does not like the Edge, Escape, or Forester. Since we're trading in his 07 Murano, it's his decision. What does he want? Either a Nissan 370Z (or any 'Z') or another used Murano. This is a lifestyle choice.

I think you should test drive a Murano. It has a high 'fun factor' for this type of vehicle. If I liked this type of handling, I'd go with a Murano over the Edge.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

I loved the previous-gen Murano when I drove one a couple years ago. Luxo interior, very good ride and handling, nice size. I thought it was competitive with Lexus and Acura offerings at the time, even though that didn't seem to be the prevailing view. But I'm not so fond of the body sculpture this time around. But, the last one raised some eyebrows when it appeared too I think and after awhile it started to look good. I'm still waiting for that moment.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Like body paint color, you only see the exterior of the car when you're not driving it. Eventually, the uneasiness goes away and you stop thinking about it.

Make your decision on the inside of the car - where you spend all your time. Go ahead, drive a Murano. Otherwise, you'll always wonder if you should have bought a Murano instead of the Edge. Buyers remorse can last a l-o-n-g time.

My husband is replacing is 07 Murano due to wear and tear (it's time). He has absolutely no qualms about getting another one. The reason for the 'Z' is a lifestyle choice - ignore the money and enjoy life type of thing.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

OK. I've driven everything else on the planet so maybe I should give the new Murano a shot. I can always cover my eyes when approaching and leaving it. But it looks like the "fins" on the rear end would really obstruct visibility on the thing. I hate when that happens.
dbr

Post by dbr »

One thing these discussions about cars proves to me is that people choose the vehicle they buy based on every variety of personal preference. That is why you can go out on the street and see a few of everything that is for sale within a fairly short period of time.

That is not to say gathering information is not useful.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote:My husband is replacing is 07 Murano due to wear and tear (it's time). He has absolutely no qualms about getting another one. The reason for the 'Z' is a lifestyle choice - ignore the money and enjoy life type of thing.
I'm now officially out of the car shopping market. The 07 Murano has been replaced by a.... 2015 Mustang GT coupe (5.0 L V-8). :shock:

We went to the Ford dealer where I test drove the Escape and Edge. They had a few used Muranos on the lot, along with the Mustangs - which were a serious contender along with the Nissan 'Z'.

Then, he saw it - a low mileage used 2015 GT. We both gave it a test drive. Wow, is all I can say. There's nothing like a muscle car, especially rear wheel drive. When you think "Mustang", this is the car you want - not the V-6.

At the dealer, he tells me that he never really wanted another Murano and he wants this Mustang. :shock:

I got an out-the-door price, which was higher than I wanted to pay - they low-balled me on the trade-in value. After some discussion, the dealer came down a bit. There was also another customer interested in the car, so it was either now or never.

As stated previously, buyer's remorse can last a long time. OK, let's do it. This car was "certified pre-owned" so we get the balance of the manufacturer's warranty, 12 month comprehensive, and a 7-year / 100,000 mile power train warranty. My husband also went for the 3-year tire and wheel protection ($450), as the low-profile tires are $400.

We did what's known as a "hold contract" - apply for a loan so we can take the car off the lot now. Then, I get them a certified check in a few days and the loan is canceled.

We drove home in the Mustang and are both very happy with the purchase. As for the insurance cost, I have no idea and will take care of that next. (PA law gives me 30 days for new car purchases.)
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Mustangs are OK for one or two people, yes.
Mine is an '08 convertible, but a v-6, so not enough punch for certain on-ramp situations or passing on two lane highways.
I'll fix that next time.

My other car is a 4wd pickup, to deal with winter and hauling stuff...
Attempted new signature...
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

The Wizard wrote:My other car is a 4wd pickup, to deal with winter and hauling stuff...
Another member of the Mustang club ('02 GT Vert, custom ordered from the factory).

Like you, it is my "sunday" car (the sun has to be shining before it leaves the garage) and I do have a "winter" car (Caddy SRX AWD). The Caddy is also my "hauler" (mulch/topsoil/garden-lawn recycling/Meals-on-Wheels volunteer) and is used more as a truck.

Even though it's 13 years "young", the Stang has only 20K on the odometer. I often think of trading it and the SRX to get a new vehicle but I can't justify the expense, along with depreciation of a new car, since I only put on around 3K total with both cars per year.

OTOH, it will be eligible for PA classic plates in two years (15 years for classic; 25 years for antique). I just may keep it until then when it may be worth a bit more to a collector (or a young guy with a few $$$) and sell it privately.

On a warm spring/summer morning or a hot summer night with the top down, shifting through the gears, and the mellow sound from the dual exhausts makes me feel (at least for the moment) like a kid again.

BTW, I have looked at the Edge as a replacement and I like what I see with the new model; however I would probably go with the Explorer to have a bit more "hauling" room for how I currently use a vehicle.

- Ron
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I guess I am not a (muscle) car guy: the Mustang Hertz gave me earlier this year was probably my least favorite vehicle. They probably thought they were doing me a favor :)

I am in the market for a "winter vehicle" for my wife and we'll likely end up with a new Forester.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Browser - Have you made any decisions?
LadyGeek wrote:...We did what's known as a "hold contract" - apply for a loan so we can take the car off the lot now. Then, I get them a certified check in a few days and the loan is canceled.
I was quite surprised that my bank no longer offered certified checks; I got a cashier's check instead. The dealer never applied for the loan; we had signed a promissory note instead. I received the original promissory note in return, signed and stamped by the finance lady that the obligation was "Paid in Full".

As for insurance, replacing a 2007 Murano with a 2015 Mustang Gt adds $135 / year to the premium. It's not trivial, but it's no where near a limiting factor in the purchase decision. I feel much better now. (Note to self, always check insurance costs before buying a vehicle...)
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

LadyGeek wrote:Browser - Have you made any decisions?
LadyGeek wrote:...We did what's known as a "hold contract" - apply for a loan so we can take the car off the lot now. Then, I get them a certified check in a few days and the loan is canceled.
I was quite surprised that my bank no longer offered certified checks; I got a cashier's check instead. The dealer never applied for the loan; we had signed a promissory note instead. I received the original promissory note in return, signed and stamped by the finance lady that the obligation was "Paid in Full".

As for insurance, replacing a 2007 Murano with a 2015 Mustang Gt adds $135 / year to the premium. It's not trivial, but it's no where near a limiting factor in the purchase decision. I feel much better now. (Note to self, always check insurance costs before buying a vehicle...)
I'm making a list of all the SUVs I've test-driven and are off the list for one reason or another. It's getting pretty long:
- Ford Escape
- Honda Pilot, CRV
- Toyota Rav4, Highlander
- Audi Q3, Q5
- VW Tiguan
- Lincoln MKC
- Jeep Cherokee
- Subaru Forester, Outback

Still in the running:
- Acura RDX
- Ford Edge
- Volvo XC-60
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

That's a nice list, but I don't see the Murano. Did you forget to list it, or did you have second thoughts?
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

LadyGeek wrote:That's a nice list, but I don't see the Murano. Did you forget to list it, or did you have second thoughts?
Looked at it in the dealer lot over the weekend again, and I'm just not into the body styling. Also, rear visibility is on my desirable list and the rear "fin" design looks like a negative on that. So, it probably stays on my "Didn't make it to the test drive" list for now.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

If it makes you feel any better, the Murano designers did a major mess-up on that "swept" look - at least they did in 2007.

The front hood covers the windshield wipers so that you can't lift them up without opening the hood. Not practical, and I complained every time I needed to clean the windshield. It was especially frustrating trying to knock the ice and snow off the wipers (you couldn't).
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

I just TD'd the Highlander and was quite disappointed with it. I expected a somewhat smoother ride over rough street pavement in my area. It was OK but nothing special. I also noticed some "tire-slap" noise over this rough pavement. Most noticeable deficiency was the visibility of the nav screen with my prescription polarized sunglasses. Just like the Rav4, it was pretty horrible. I couldn't see well the backup cam display or the nav display. And the way it's mounted just about guarantees reflective sunlight glare off of it. Just about all the other vehicles I've tried have much more visible screens with my sunglasses on. A complete non-starter. Last negative was the fact that you can only get blind-spot warning and backup sensor by going to the Limited trim level. Ridiculous. Very disappointing from Toyota. I have yet to drive the Edge over the rough road area and very interested in how it fares compared to the Highlander. Local dealer doesn't have any in stock since they are moving pretty fast.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Browser - Do you have plans to purchase a vehicle any time soon?

This upcoming weekend is the last of the month. Forget the Labor Day sales, dealers are getting antsy to meet the month's sales quotas.

Prior to the Murano we just traded in, we purchased a new one. It was the last day of the month and the dealer stayed open until midnight to ensure that we drove off the lot with a new Murano.

I recommend making a decision in the next few days and prepare your trade-in for sale (clean it up, etc.). Go to the dealer with title in-hand and see how willing they are to negotiate.
Browser wrote:... I have yet to drive the Edge over the rough road area and very interested in how it fares compared to the Highlander. Local dealer doesn't have any in stock since they are moving pretty fast.
I would not make a purchasing decision on this. It's a minor point and you can't reproduce the conditions to get a fair comparison against each vehicle.

This is too much detail. I think you may be headed towards that behavioral pitfall known as Paralysis by analysis.
Jd1006

Post by Jd1006 »

Browser wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Browser - Have you made any decisions?

I'm making a list of all the SUVs I've test-driven and are off the list for one reason or another. It's getting pretty long:
- Ford Escape
- Honda Pilot, CRV
- Toyota Rav4, Highlander
- Audi Q3, Q5
- VW Tiguan
- Lincoln MKC
- Jeep Cherokee

Still in the running:
- Acura RDX
- Ford Edge
- Volvo XC-60
You should add the Volvo XC90. Sure it is a 3 row suv, but it drives smaller than that. It was the best of the ones I test drove and it wasn't very close. Especially in the interior....far and away better than the highlander, pilot, and explorer.
NET1

Post by NET1 »

Browser wrote: - Audi Q3, Q5
- VW Tiguan
- Lincoln MKC
- Jeep Cherokee

Still in the running:
- Acura RDX
- Ford Edge
- Volvo XC-60
I'm in a nearly identical situation. Any chance you could elaborate on why the Q3 was tossed out? I'm between Edge/Murano/Q3 at the moment but haven't been out to test drive the Q3 just yet.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

NET1 wrote:
Browser wrote: - Audi Q3, Q5
- VW Tiguan
- Lincoln MKC
- Jeep Cherokee

Still in the running:
- Acura RDX
- Ford Edge
- Volvo XC-60
I'm in a nearly identical situation. Any chance you could elaborate on why the Q3 was tossed out? I'm between Edge/Murano/Q3 at the moment but haven't been out to test drive the Q3 just yet.
Liked the Q3. It's just a bit small for me and I want something a little taller. Nice vehicle though.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

My daughter bought one. At about 65K miles the transmission had to be replaced. Soon thereafter we were caravanning down I-75 for a short vacation to Sarasota and she experienced more problems. When we got back she traded it in on a Toyota SUV. The Toyota has been trouble free.
gatorman