Wedding dress in Hawaii

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FredL

Wedding dress in Hawaii

Post by FredL »

Our son decided to have outdoor wedding in Hawaii. Do I need to wear tuxedo? We have been in Hawaii only as tourists. Even in the office people dress more casually than California. My impression may be wrong. Is there formal wear rental in Hawaii?
The Wizard

Re: Wedding dress in Hawaii

Post by The Wizard »

I can't imagine a tuxedo on any on the Hawaiian islands, I just can't.
You want to discover what the natives do, and then do that for the wedding...
Attempted new signature...
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Although the setting lends itself to celebrations in which people dress more casually, I'm sure there are also black tie events in Hawaii. Why don't you ask your son what type of attire will be appropriate?
patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 »

I'd suggest a call from whomever is planning the wedding (the bride?) to the concierge at the venue. I've been at 2 weddings at fancy hotels on Maui; no one wore a dinner jacket. For one, the groom & groomsmen wore white shirts, no tie, sleeves rolled up; for the other, they wore pale-coloured silk Aloha shirts. I should note that both of these ceremonies started outdoors. Best Wishes for the wedding.
sci fi

Post by sci fi »

I'm from Hawaii. You certainly don't need to wear a tuxedo but it's fine if you chose to. For the last few weddings I attended, the groomsmen all had matching aloha shirts, that's pretty common. Sig Zane is a popular local designer. There are tuxedo rental shops, I remember getting them for my prom.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

My guess would be that your future daughter-in-law is best person to ask regarding the attire to be worn by the father of the groom.
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

I got married in Hawaii. My husband wore a shirt and tie. I kind of doubt that anyone will be wearing tuxes.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

FredL wrote:Our son decided to have outdoor wedding in Hawaii. Do I need to wear tuxedo? We have been in Hawaii only as tourists. Even in the office people dress more casually than California. My impression may be wrong. Is there formal wear rental in Hawaii?
Outdoor wedding? On the beach or at a hotel? Hawaii is very casual. We see lots of weddings on the beach where the bride's and the groom's attire are formal, but most are less so, even down to cut-offs. An outdoor hotel wedding would be more dressy, but still lots of island shirts for the men.

Ask you son what he's wearing.
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

I got married in the bahamas, which is sorta close to that. I wore a linen suit, wife wore a nice sundress (certainly not a normal wedding dress). Worked fine when you're out on the beach due to the wind offsetting the temperature.

Family / bridesmaids / men of honor wore similiar clothes, including hawaian shirts.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

FredL wrote:Our son decided to have outdoor wedding in Hawaii. Do I need to wear tuxedo? We have been in Hawaii only as tourists. Even in the office people dress more casually than California. My impression may be wrong. Is there formal wear rental in Hawaii?
Since you're asking essentially what is proper, I will respond with a "rule" in formal attire (mostly originating from the English. Many people don't care but I think your question indicates you have a healthy desire to be sensible about your attire.

Typically the rule for tuxedos has more to do with time of day. If the event is going to end after dark, then formal attire is suitable. However, if the event begins and ends before dark, then it is considered improper to wear a tuxedo. So if the wedding is during the day time, you do not want to be wearing a tuxedo. Keep in mind I'm speaking of the wedding and not the reception.

With that said, tuxedo weddings are not too common in beach settings even in the evenings. There are a lot of different options but a light colored linen suit would be a good place to start. If your son is a young millennial I would be surprised if he wanted the party and his dad in a tuxedo.

I was married not on the beach but in a beautiful California winery in the summer, outdoors, and I wore a khaki linen suit from Brooks Brothers, after trying on many different ones. It fit perfectly and looking back at the photos, everyone's attire was quite timeless. If I had been wearing a tuxedo (or if anyone attending had), they would have stuck out like a sore thumb.
diasurfer

Post by diasurfer »

I lived in Hawaii for many years and got married outdoors there. I can't imagine wearing a tux but ask the bride.

I wore a nice aloha (aka Hawaiian) shirt, some beige dockers, and a nice leather pair of "slippahs". Just because it's an aloha shirt, it doesn't have to be a cheap, loud, obnoxious aloha shirt. Unless that's the look the wedding party is going for, in which case it is perfectly fine.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

It does not matter what the "locals" do.

It matters only what your son and the bride would prefer. Ask them.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
island

Post by island »

Rodc wrote:It does not matter what the "locals" do.

This
diasurfer

Post by diasurfer »

island wrote:
Rodc wrote:It does not matter what the "locals" do.

This
When I lived there, almost any trip to a beach park would feature at least one Japanese newlywed couple presumably on wedding package deals. He would be in full tuxedo, while she would be in full wedding dress with high heels, and trying to walk in the sand. And judging from the look on their faces, they couldn't have been happier.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

Ask the couple.

Into my head popped the image of a Mexican wedding shirt, however. Nice, cool, and not flamboyant. Who's more comfortable baking in the sun for hours:

HawaiiBrewer

Post by HawaiiBrewer »

Don't dress like at a mainland wedding. Casual is the name of the game here in Hawaii. A nice Hawaiian print shirt or dress is the norm. You won't see a neck tie or dress suit worn here....accept by the uninformed. Romance tourism.....aka....Asian Weddings....is a huge part of the Hawaiian economy so you'll see a lot of Asians dress in their native formal wear at weddings. But for USA mainlanders getting married here, casual is the way to go......google Hawaiian wedding images and check out the photos of the bride and groom.....and realize that the attendees are even more casual.

Aloha,

Paul
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there
renue74

Post by renue74 »

Like others say...ask the bride what she wants. It's sort of their event...right? :sharebeer

I eloped to the North Shore of Oahu in 1999. My wife and I didn't want the huge wedding experience. It was absolutely the best decision we could had made. We bought a wedding package at a beautiful B&B and that week, we were the only ones there...so it was very secluded.

My wife and I shipped our wedding attire over before we traveled there and I wore a tux and she wore a traditional wedding dress. We did get married in a garden at the B&B. I wouldn't change anything about it.