Your Top 10 Worst Bands/ Musicians and Movies

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 »

I saw a best of thread but what immediately came to mind was my least favorite so here goes;

Least Favorite Bands:

Beach Boys
Barenaked Ladies
Spin Doctors
Nickleback
Boys 2 Men
Mumford and Sons
Katie Perry
Diana Krall

Least favorite Movies:

Lord of the Rings (all of them)
Austen Power Goldmember
Any Adam Sandler movie
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Your Top 10 Worst Bands/ Musicians and Movies

Post by nisiprius »

Worst band? The Trashmen, famous for Surfin' Bird. Listen to it if you're never heard of it. In college, someone made a careful, precise, accurate transcription of the lyrics (complete with "[throwing up noises]" in brackets) and circulated them. It is less repetitious than it sounds. Sometimes he sings "Well bird bird bird, b-birds' the word" and other times "A-well-a bird bird bird well-a bird is the word." It's not easy to make an accurate transcription. The record label was "Garrett" but whenever they played it the campus radio the DJ's always said "and now, the Trashmen, on the Garbage label."

Worst movie, probably Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. A rave review praised Kubrick for his bold risk-taking, in daring to make the first half of the movie so slow-paced, so we toughed it out--I think there may actually have been an intermission!--and it seemed to us that the pace not only didn't pick up, it slowed down.

No, wait: Last Year at Marienbad was worse.

I could take the easy way out and mention Blood Feast (1963).

Oh, dear, what's-his-name, the guy of "Fritz the Cat" fame, who made a really awful version of The Lord of the Rings, a cheapjack mess that was neither live nor animated, looked as if he'd hired a bunch of talented 9-year-old schoolchildren to crayon over a black-and-white film and they didn't stay within the lines. And it only included a part of the story because they ran out of money before completing it, but released it anyway. Ralph Bakshi.

For #5 through 10, insert the names of any six Ingmar Bergman films. (Yes, I'm a Philistine).
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I need some time to think, but two worst movies that immediately came to mind were A Clockwork Orange and Grease 2.

edit: And Miley Cyrus for worst musician.
Last edited by cheese_breath on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

I'd agree about Adam Sandler movies, in general. But I saw him in "The Cobbler" this week and I would really give it 4 or 5 stars out of 5. No childish, immature, embarrassing language, visuals, etc. It was a funny, cute, adult, heart-warming story. Costars Dustin Hoffman and Steve Buscemi are the clue that there is more to this movie. Anyone expecting a "typical" Adam Sandler movie will be disappointed, and those who pass on this due to Sandler's presence...it'll be their loss.
Last edited by JohnFiscal on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fclevz

Post by Fclevz »

DDMP20 wrote:Least Favorite Bands:
Beach Boys
You could probably make a case for it being more of a solo Brian Wilson album rather than a Beach Boys album, but Pet Sounds is the Rolling Stone magazine #2 album on the 500 best albums of all time list.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Worst movie; "The Conqueror" with John Wayne as Gengis Khan, and it was filmed just downwind from a nuclear test site so many of the cast and crew died from cancer.

Worst band, on multiple level; The Fugs (NSFW)
Last edited by Watty on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

nisiprius wrote:Worst band? The Trashmen, famous for Surfin' Bird....
Crap Nisi. Now you've got me singing Surfun' Bird to myself for the last half hour, and probably for the rest of the day.
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

There are some awful metal/rock bands and rappers out there:
Slipknot, Gwar, Slayer, Megadeth, Nickelback, Soulja Boy, OJ Da Juiceman, Wocka Flocka Flamez
I agree with Beach Boys, also Backstreet Boys and Nsync

The worst rated movies of all time are The Room and Manos:Hands of Fate. I also dislike most Disney movies, Spiderman, Twilight and The Hunger Games.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

cheese_breath wrote:
Crap Nisi. Now you've got me singing Surfun' Bird to myself for the last half hour, and probably for the rest of the day.
Every time you make a mistake, you need to start over from the beginning.

Hey there, just after the throwing-up noises, where it goes "b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b" you had 32 "b"-s instead of 30, start over! Get it right!

Don't worry about it running through your head, I have the cure. Just play The Third Man Theme.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

Worst band/song? That's easy. See this youtube!
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

nisiprius wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
Every time you make a mistake, you need to start over from the beginning.

Hey there, just after the throwing-up noises, where it goes "b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b" you had 32 "b"-s instead of 30, start over! Get it right!

Don't worry about it running through your head, I have the cure. Just play The Third Man Theme.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had to wean myself gradually with Papa Oom Mow Mow. But I finally settled into something nice and calming for the rest of the day with Theme from Somewhere in Time
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

OMG, you HAD to mention Last Year at Marienbad. I had to sit through that for a college class. Painful. Manos, Hands of Fate might be worse, but it is so painful that I never got through it.

I can't read any more of this thread. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.
batpot

Post by batpot »

I dare you to sit through more than 30 seconds of this...
[link removed by admin LadyGeek, see below.]
And if you kids like this crap, they need an intervention.
easye418

Post by easye418 »

No love for Happy GIlmore or Billy Madison????

Think we have some old gramps in this forum.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Twelve-tone "music." I actually managed to wait that one out! It still exists but they don't force it on you the way they used to.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

OMG. It's hell getting old! I missed the word 'worst' and was really beginning to wonder about the sanity of my fellow Bogleheads given their favorite bands and movie picks :oops:
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Movie-Santa Claus Conquers The Martians :happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C5WwammH90
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
iaminam

Post by iaminam »

There is only one movie that is the worst: Battlefield Earth.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

DDMP20 wrote:
I always find it interesting when people end up with nearly universally acclaimed movies/music on lists like this. It seems to me that some people have this habit and others don't. My brother, for instance, seems to find movies "overrated" or "not great", which gradually morphes into said movie being the worse thing ever visited upon the universe. I mean, the Hobbit movies are similar to LOTR but worse by pretty much every measure. I can empathize--I think I've kind of done this with "Love, Actually".
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Here is a problem. I usually go to watch films that I have investigated and liked in advance. They may turn out excellent or just good, but never qualify as the worst. Occasionally, I watch a film that is highly recommended by a friend or that everybody likes. And more likely than not these latter films become my worst ones. But if I posted their titles, I would inflame the majority of the Bogleheads.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 »

Fclevz wrote:
Beach Boys
You could probably make a case for it being more of a solo Brian Wilson album rather than a Beach Boys album, but Pet Sounds is the Rolling Stone magazine #2 album on the 500 best albums of all time list.
[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

I won't.

The Beach Boys suck. Always have. Always will.
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson
rec7

Post by rec7 »

DDMP20 wrote:Your Top 10 Worst Bands/ Musicians and Movies

I saw a best of thread but what immediately came to mind was my least favorite so here goes;

Least Favorite Bands:

Beach Boys
The talent of Brian Wilson was something few had in music.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Worst Movies:

Plan 9 from Outer Space
The Blob
Hotel Hell
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

To "worst movies" I would add one part of a movie: the part of Disney's Fantasia that depicts Beethoven's Sixth Symphony. It is awful beyond compare, Disney at his worst.
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

Worst band: The Monkees

Worst movie: Muriel's Wedding
spectec

Post by spectec »

Any band performing "McArthur Park" qualifies as worst band in my book.

Close behind is any Jazz band.
I know many people enjoy Jazz, but it just isn't for me.
I like almost all types of music, but when it comes to Jazz I'd rather just sit in silence.

Worst movie - Barbarella
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
surfhb

Post by surfhb »

rec7 wrote:
DDMP20 wrote:Your Top 10 Worst Bands/ Musicians and Movies

Least Favorite Bands:

Beach Boys
The talent of Brian Wilson was something few had in music.
No Kidding! The man single handily changed music and culture.....Everyone from Hendrix to The Romones. All Modern Rock is directly related to the Beach Boys in one way or another. In fact, all punk music is basically the Beach Boys on steroids.

Their music was incredible. Never heard anyone say they didnt like the Beach Boys LOL

Worst? Bruce Springsteen Ugh! (He was a big Beach Boys fan though)
Norsky19

Post by Norsky19 »

Worst movie: Alexander (the recent one) walked out of the theatre....first time I've ever done that. Horrible Bosses 2 was the second time I've walked out.

Music: Most of the 80's pop sound. Can't stand it.
iceport

Post by iceport »

centrifuge41 wrote:Worst band/song? That's easy. See this youtube!
Oh, that was just plain cruel.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
HarrietSpy

Post by HarrietSpy »

Air Supply

Copland - film
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Worst movies: All Star Wars movies. All movies staring any of the past Saturday Night Live players. Anything and everything Disney.
Worst bands: Too many to list!
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

iceport wrote:
Can we assume everyone is familiar with Rickrolling? I wonder how much money he has made out of the incremental publicity the phenomenon has given him.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

My favorite bad movie is Godfather III
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

DDMP20 wrote: Least favorite Movies:

one wonders why you didn't stop after the first one.

haveen't seen any of them; thot the book was garbage and stopped reading it long before the end.

i'm not going to defend the trashmen for surfin bird; but in full disclosure i ought to point out it was the first album i ever bought with my own money. in my defense i think i was in 5th grade.

worst music would have to the greatful dead. and anything rap.

off topic here, but i enjoy reading the "what movie did you just see" thread and have seen some of them based on the writeups. a big thumbs down for people who include spoilers, but great big thanks to whatever mod is going in and taking those out.
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

Most overrated bands IMO: U2 and Bon Jovi. The Beatles and Rolling Stones are overrated but I like them.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Worst movie: Sideways
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a youtube link containing some street language.

Please keep the language limited to "family-friendly", meaning things you can say in front of the little ones. Linking to content counts as posting it here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

miles monroe wrote:...off topic here, but i enjoy reading the "what movie did you just see" thread and have seen some of them based on the writeups. a big thumbs down for people who include spoilers, but great big thanks to whatever mod is going in and taking those out.
There's no mod to remove spoilers, nor do the moderators intervene on content (unless it's outside the Forum rules).

Here's how to create proper spoiler text: Re: Please Try Out Test Posts Here
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

Here's a catchy earworm from the mother country sung by creepy Russian guy. It is speculated that the singer may be some sort of robot.

https://youtu.be/2Z4m4lnjxkY
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Madonna... not good.
heathshuler

Post by heathshuler »

Smash Mouth (x10)
second-guesser

Post by second-guesser »

Worst movie - One was Ringmaster starring Jerry Sringer.
Another bad move - Spiceworld starring the Spicegirls, with Hugh Laurie.

S-G
alec

Post by alec »

Two words: Kenny G.

Two more words: John Tesh.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
iceport

Post by iceport »

nisiprius wrote:
iceport wrote:
Can we assume everyone is familiar with Rickrolling? I wonder how much money he has made out of the incremental publicity the phenomenon has given him.
I didn't think of the "rick-rolling" potential before I clicked. Then it was like a train wreck: I had to watch the video, and marvel once more at how lousy — sickening, actually — some... "music" can be. Then your comment prompted me to Google the phenomenon. Looks like his royalties for that video are trivial. But he was able to "retire" at 27. So his "music" career must have treated him well. He is quoted as saying he is amused by the phenomenon, and only hopes his daughter isn't too embarrassed by it. (I would think his "music" itself would be enough of an embarrassment for the whole family.)
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
island

Post by island »

Bad bands? Too many to list or know their names. Someone mentioned Air Supply. Oh yes. I
I also hate ABBA , Bob Segar and Rush. That's channel changing, Get me out of hear music.
Preening hair bands and most heavy metal. Most 80-90's music is forgettable.

Worst movie I can remember seeing in a theatre was Hudson Hawk, an early 90's Bruce Willis movie. Went to the movies a lot with friends after work then. Probably chosen because the start time fit our schedule. Memorable because it's the only movie I've ever walked out of. Embarrassed for you Bruce. Cringeworthy.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

One unique modern day bad band that comes to mind is Nickelback. They're not bad from a technical standpoint; they actually play their instruments competently, and the lead singer has a decent voice and sings on key. But stylistically, they're one of the most unoriginal, contrived bands my ears can ever recall hearing. They have no unique sound. Their music is pretty much a mashup of every rock band from the last 20 years. It offends me as a musician and a listener.

The interesting thing about Nickelback is that they know exactly what they're doing: shamelessly catering to and exploiting the suburban mid-life crisis aged white man who mistakenly believes he's listening to something that current young people enjoy. At first, I wondered if the band was completely clueless and simply made bad music or if they did it intentionally to make money. I recall reading an interview with the band a while back that all but confirms the second theory. Which also offends me as a musician.
stlrick

Post by stlrick »

DDMP20 wrote:
Fclevz wrote:
Beach Boys
[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

I won't.

The Beach Boys suck. Always have. Always will.
I don't understand why this thread was not locked a long time ago. Ten-best lists serve a purpose - someone can look at the list and check out positive opinions that they might want to follow-up on. Ten-worst lists are nothing more than adolescent trolling. I don't like Adam Sandler either, but according to Rotten Tomatoes, 13 of his movies have grossed over $100 million - so there are a lot of people who disagree with you. As you say, "[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]"

I like the Beach Boys. [Response to OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

This baiting junk has no place on Bogleheads.

Rick
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

i don't want to live in a world that doesn't have the beach boys.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked. Not for the content, as we have several similar threads (books, movies, etc.). It's locked due to language beyond the "family friendly" threshold * and has now become a general rant. There's no added value to continue. See the Board rules

Locked Topics

Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
* Replacing characters in a word with "@" to change the spelling does not change the intent.