Rowing Machines

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Winthorpe

Rowing Machines

Post by Winthorpe »

I always value the opinions of the Boglehead community.

I am thinking of purchasing a rowing machine. My lower back has been a weak spot for most of my adult life, and I was thinking that a rowing machine might be a good way to strengthen this area while providing a cardiovascular benefit as well. I currently have a nice elliptical traniner, but I don't think it does much for my lower back issues.

Boglehead opinions on the merits of rowing for exercise?

Also, what brand/model of rowing machine would you recommend?

Thanks!
Minsc

Re: Rowing Machines

Post by Minsc »

I have a Concept2 model D. It is great. I don't know about other brands but that is what I used in college on the rowing team as well. You also might want to do some weight training, squats and deadlifts if done properly will really strengthen you back.
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

We have a Concept 2 rowing machine. They are pricey, but they last forever and are far and away the best rowing machine on the market. They currently sell two models - the Model D and Model E. The D is a little cheaper, pretty much what we have (we have a Model C, but only minor changes between the C and D), and should be fine for your needs.

I think rowing is great exercise because it gets your entire body involved. Your legs and shoulders get most of the workout, but to some extent your arms, abs, and back are working as well. You can get a good aerobic workout in 30 minutes.

Your back may be a problem though. Good technique will be critical to avoid aggravating your back. If you over exaggerate how much you are leaning forward and backward you run the risk of hurting your back. My wife has a bad back, and she rows regularly as well, so it can be done if you are careful.

People with bad knees also need to pay attention to good form. To protect the knees you don't want your shins going past vertical on the catch (the point in the stroke where you are all the way forward).

There are some good videos on proper technique on the Concept 2 website (http://www.concept2.com/).

The one comment I'd make about any exercise equipment is there is an awful lot of it that is bought, used for a while, and then collects dust. Try to be sure you are committed to a regular exercise routine before making the investment.
Dave
SomethingShiny

Post by SomethingShiny »

I agree, the Concept2 Model D is great, another one I like is the Water Rower. The two are different in feel, however, with the Concept2 a bit more steady in resistance throughout and the Water Rower with a bit more "heaviness" at the catch/start of the stroke that lessens a bit throughout the stroke. Either one will give you a good workout - for either sprints or longer, endurance work too.

I'm not a coach/trainer, but one thing to be sure of when starting rowing is to make sure you learn proper form. Most of the work is done by the legs (not just arms like a lot of folks think) and also requires a lot of core/abdominal involvement. I've had a lot of friends in the past row themselves into low back injuries/pain so having good form/engaged abs will help avoid an injury.
JDot

Post by JDot »

A friend recently purchased the water rower. This prompted me to do some research about 6 months ago. I came to the conclusion that I would also get the water rower (over the compact) if I were to purchase one.

Not that you care- but found out we owed about $2k in taxes so I figured I'd hold off until winter to consider the purchase.
danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 »

Concept 2. It's the gold standard.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.
leonard

Post by leonard »

I have a concept 2 (don't remember which model letter). Works great. And, if your ceiling is tall enough, stores standing up saving room.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
WL2034

Post by WL2034 »

Absolutely Concept2. You can even set it up to race others online via wifi if you become so inclined (I don't own one so haven't done this, but use it regularly at the gym). There is a large C2 rowing community you can find online if you have specific questions.

You can sometimes find them online, but I think they have become a bit harder to come by on Craigslist because Crossfit gyms sometimes buy them in pretty large quantities. This probably depends on location, though.
snackypants

Post by snackypants »

Adding my voice to the chorus for a Concept 2 Model D. You can occasionally find them used on Craigslist, but these things hold their value so don't expect a significant discount. The rower is simple, effective, and there is a great community on the Concept 2 site if you want to get fancy.

EDIT: Annndddd, I just realized I repeated almost everything the above poster said. Blasted after-dinner cocktail!
apados

Post by apados »

+1 on the concept 2 rowers. They're great.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

I love our Concept 2 D

And please please please, watch some u tube videos and learn proper form.

From the catch: knees, then hips, then arms to the finish
From finish back: arms away, then knees, finally hips

I have to refrain myself at the gym when I see people rowing with bad form. The most common mistake is starting the return motion by bending the knees, then lifting the handle over the knees. Keep the chain level. If you can't, your doing something wrong! :annoyed
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
noyopacific

Post by noyopacific »

I started on a Water Rower at my gym. The gym added a Concept 2 and I used them interchangeably, based on whichever happened to be available. Over time found I had a slight preference for the Concept 2, I suspect that this was because the Concept 2 scored my speed and distance better with the same amount of effort. I'd guess that the Concept 2 represents a "more efficient hull design-concept!" (The preceding comment was intended as a slightly self-deprecating bit of humorous sarcasm.) :P

I have paddled a few other "exercise rowing machines" and nothing else I have used came close to being as good to either the Water Rower or the Concept 2. If we were going to buy one, I would have my wife pick and this would make us both happy enough. Fortunately, I'm satisfied using the rowing machines at the gym and when they need service, I can bring it to managements attention and the work is usually handled promptly.
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

I have a Concept 2 I enjoy, though it doesn't see as much use as it should :happy

They are expensive, but hold their value unlike any other piece of exercise equipment. If you buy used, you will be able to resell for what you paid if you don't like it.

The company also has great customer service, they are small and based in VT. They offer plenty of replacement parts for extremely reasonable prices.
psychoslowmatic

Post by psychoslowmatic »

Concept 2 is great, and rowing is one of the few full-body cardio workouts. But if you've got back problems I don't think the way to strengthen it is put lots of stress on it. Instead I would focus on doing things like planks every morning for a month at least, then start very slow with rowing and ramp up gradually. Also check out videos on proper rowing form, it's easy to do incorrectly (especially if back muscles are weak) in ways that'll hurt you long term. If you think you need help, I'd encourage you to consult with a physical therapist before starting.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

Add another vote for Concept2. I've used it for many, many years with no problems at all and I just passed 30 million meters. Just normal maintenance. If you're interested in trying one, try to get a weeks free trial membership at a gym that has one and test it out. That's what I did and afterwards I was hooked (still am). :sharebeer
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I use a Concept 2 at the Community Center Gym - rotating 4 or 5 other aerobic machines. I do Rowing about 3 times a week, and the Concept 2 Rower is the machine I like best.
Gill

Post by Gill »

Winthorpe wrote:My lower back has been a weak spot for most of my adult life, and I was thinking that a rowing machine might be a good way to strengthen this area...
Interesting that you are considering one to help with your lower back. I gave up using mine because it seemed to aggravate my lower back.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

Another Concept 2 fan here. Don't own one but use one regularly at the gym.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

What exactly is wrong with your back? I ask because I have a particular back problem for which rowing is absolutely contraindicated, as in my doctors and physical therapists have explicitly told me not to row. So be sure you run this by your medical professionals before investing in a machine. The best thing I've found to both strengthen my back and alleviate my back pain is yoga.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

friar1610 wrote:Another Concept 2 fan here. Don't own one but use one regularly at the gym.
Me too.

In particular I like doing wind sprints.

That is a killer total body workout.

Couple that with longer slower workout on your elliptical and you will have a great package.

That said, for a lot less money you could get a few weights, heck a bag of sand, and workout your back if that is the primary motivation. The Concept machines are pricy.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Rupert wrote:What exactly is wrong with your back? I ask because I have a particular back problem for which rowing is absolutely contraindicated, as in my doctors and physical therapists have explicitly told me not to row. So be sure you run this by your medical professionals before investing in a machine. The best thing I've found to both strengthen my back and alleviate my back pain is yoga.
I tend towards a tight lower back, and well, tight everything else. I second yoga as being helpful though I have only added over the last several months so not a lot of experience yet.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
pellep

Post by pellep »

I have the Lifecore R100 and really like it.

https://lifecorefitness.com/products/r1 ... g-machines

I tried the Concept2 side by side with the Lifecore. The Lifecore has a belt rather than chain drive, which seemed to feel much smoother. It also has electronic magnetic resistance of the fly wheel, which is nice for programs.

So many people love the concept2, though, so I'm sure you can't go wrong.

Paul
Cycle37

Post by Cycle37 »

Agree on Concept 2 rower. But would urge you as other have, to try one out several times at a local gym before you invest. Better yet, if you decide you enjoy rowing and it doesn't hurt your back, just join that gym for a few months to make sure. Most are $29 per mo and a C2 rower is $1K plus shipping. So for $100 bucks,a gym investment makes sense. Rowing medium pace with some one minute sprints mixed in for 20 minutes wipes me out (I'm 63 in great shape) and usually need 2 days recovery. Most gym memberships and major exercise equipment purchases are not fully utilized anyway...trying to be positive here!
dm200

Post by dm200 »

More on Concept 2 -

The model at the gym I use has the display - for all sorts of measurements/tracking. I like that feature very much. Some (older, I think) models do not have that.

I am NO expert on this - just what I read. There is a lever adjustment increasing or decreasing the "drag factor" and the Concept 2 recommendations are to set this drag factor lower. However, I see almost all folks at the gym set it to the highest resistance and then they cannot row at the faster pace that I do.

Again - just what I read - a rower is, generally, good for your back UNLESS you have certain types of back problems - and then it may be bad. If I had "back problems" or back pain/etc. after using the rower, I would check with a qualified medical professional before rowing any more. What I do not know is whether this depends on the type of rower.

I set the display to Calories and Calories per minute. When I started regular exercise 4 years ago, at a displayed rate of 500 Cal/hr, my heart rate went up quite a bit - and I huffed and puffed. Now, I row at a rate of between 660 and 720 Cal/hr and am just fine (some sweating, huffing and puffing - but that is probably good).
jdb

Post by jdb »

SomethingShiny wrote:. I've had a lot of friends in the past row themselves into low back injuries/pain so having good form/engaged abs will help avoid an injury.
Add me to the list. Only exercise machine that actually seemed to cause me pain so stopped using it. In retrospect probably doing it all wrong but lower back pain after rowing was bad enough that I now make a detour at gym around the rowing machines. Good luck.
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

+1 on Concept II and on rowing with proper form. Had 2 models before I gave one away. Last forever and work great. Some older models with chain drive can be a but noisy, but that's half the fun. Whurrr, slide, whuuuurrrr, slide....power 10 on two,....
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Gordon
Karan

Post by Karan »

1+ for concept 2 rowing machine. I have model D. But beware, rowing is a very immersive exercise. You can't truly enjoy tv and row at the same time (can't use remote control to change channels or forward DVR). For burning calories, watching tv is fine.
It is boring for beginners but tough it out and you will start enjoying it in a few weeks. It will give a very effective workout.