Free Windows 10 Upgrade, Yes or No?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ever Ready

Free Windows 10 Upgrade, Yes or No?

Post by Ever Ready »

I just got an offer for a free Windows 10 upgrade, full version, not a trial.

Has anyone else received this offer?

Is it a good idea to get the first version? I have heard it is better to wait for SP1
when they have fixed most of the bugs.

I have also heard that an upgraded OS is not a stable as the originally installed OS, is that really true?

I am currently running Windows 7. How may of my applications will still run on Win 10?
I have not seen a compatibility checker.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
hicabob

Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade, Yes or No?

Post by hicabob »

Unless you enjoy new operating systems or until there is a program you want that requires a new operating system it's generally best to stay with what works for you. "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
linakin

Post by linakin »

From what I understand, Microsoft is only planning on offering the free upgrade for a year. After that, if you want to upgrade, you'd need to buy the operating system yourself. SP1 for Windows 10 might not happen within that year time frame, if you'd rather have it for free.

I would think all of your programs would run on Windows 10 without much issue.

If you're happy with Windows 7, then don't bother upgrading. If you'd like to try out something new, then go for the free upgrade.
lack_ey

Post by lack_ey »

Yeah, everyone with Windows 7 or 8/8.1 seems to be getting it. The upgrade is free for now and available to everyone, with the actual product coming around the 29th of July. I think you can always get the download and choose not to install it until later (say, waiting a few weeks after availability to see if Microsoft's hair is on fire or not). Anyway, it's not for a while, and you have time to read more and decide.

There are still reportedly a decent amount of bugs in the Windows 10 preview that's currently available and used widely by early adopters.

Upgrading operating systems is generally asking for trouble, but modern upgrades on Windows seem to be surprisingly stable.

I would expect most applications to work, especially simpler utilities and programs from larger publishers. Usually you'll run into more problems with finding drivers for more obscure hardware and more specific or niche programs. You can probably check around looking at complaints by people using the preview, but many are likely to be addressed by launch.
Topic Author
Ever Ready

Post by Ever Ready »

I just found this. Apparently everyone on Win 7 and 8 will get it.

Windows 10 Arrives on July 29
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485143,00.asp
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

Received the same upgrade offer when I logged on to my laptop this morning from Microsoft. Am Windows 7 user also with no issues staying put.

I have never liked to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. I'll let the other 'alpha' testers who accept the free upgrade figure out what is broke and let MS fix it with service patches before I install. Definitely not in a hurry for this one.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I will probably start running W10 in a VM soon just to see what they have to offer.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
segfault

Post by segfault »

I'm running the technical preview on a virtual machine. It's very nice. The final version is supposed to perform better than Windows 7 or 8 on the same hardware. I wouldn't have any reservations about doing the free upgrade.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

I'm going to take the offer. I have two Win 7 machines and I'd like to update them to Windows 10. It'll extend my free windows lifetime to probably close to 18 years.

I had Windows Vista when it first came out (free through college), and Windows 7 when it first came out (ditto). No major problems with either of them. I'll move to Windows 10 and I doubt I'll have any major problems there either.
TexasMu

Post by TexasMu »

Just a heads up. No windows media center in 10. Windows Media Center turns your pc into a DVR similar to a Tivo. Most people do not use it (thus MS dropping it). Thought I would put this info on here just in case someone hasn't got the memo
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

segfault wrote:I'm running the technical preview on a virtual machine. It's very nice. The final version is supposed to perform better than Windows 7 or 8 on the same hardware. I wouldn't have any reservations about doing the free upgrade.
Do you know if the W7 peripheral drivers (esp printers) work with W10. We had problems with some older printers when we first introduced W8 into the mix. The printer manufacturers eventually caught up although I have one wireless extender which has configuration software that simply will not work on W8. I keep a VM with a W7 license on each W8 machine just in case.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Not if you use media center.

Probably will on my new lappy, but not sure about my tower.
dumbmoney

Post by dumbmoney »

I've been using the pre-release Win10 and either I'm very unlucky or it's got a frightening number of bugs. So my advice is to wait at least a few months before upgrading.
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

My advice is to get the free "upgrade" to Chrome OS, and get a Chromebook or Chromebox and you will never have to worry about this issue again.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

I plan to update to 10 on my Win7 and Win8 computers as soon as its offered. Submitted the "reservation" today. (Assuming there are no warnings from beta testers to not do it, of course.)
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
tj

Post by tj »

I hate windows 8. I use a "skin" to make it look like windows 7. I have no plans to go to windows 10.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

tj wrote:I hate windows 8. I use a "skin" to make it look like windows 7. I have no plans to go to windows 10.
with Classic Shell it is almost identical. My users like 8.1. Fast boot and shutdown times - much faster than W7.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

yep, there was that new strange icon on the toolbar this morning.

i'm using 7, everything works, certainly not going to "upgrade" if no reason to do so.
fidobogo

Post by fidobogo »

Or you can "cord cut" your Windows, and run a Linux distribution, like Ubuntu.

Two of the biggest reasons this doesn't work for people is if they need to trade Microsoft Office documents with coworkers (when OpenOffice is not compatible enough), or when they want to use their computer as a gaming console. For most other purposes, Linux is fine or better.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I'll wait a few months and see how you others who take it now make out. I don't like being a pioneer on new releases because the pioneers usually end up with arrows in their backs. If it's like other MS upgrades I can just imagine Win 10 bringing my dual core I5 to it's knees.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

cheese_breath wrote: If it's like other MS upgrades I can just imagine Win 10 bringing my dual core I5 to it's knees.
Actually, with W8 we are finding the opposite. W8 seems to run faster than W7 on identical hardware. Have not tried W10 yet.
Christine600

Post by Christine600 »

I will do the free upgrade on my Win7 machine. From what I understand it will run better on older machines so that I don't have to buy a new machine for a few years more. Good for my index funds - not so good for Dell, Lenovo & co.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

tj wrote:I hate windows 8. I use a "skin" to make it look like windows 7. I have no plans to go to windows 10.
If you hate 8, then you should definitely go to 10...the interface in 10 is much more similar to 7 and performance is much better than 8, plus its free

Post by 111 »

I just got it on my Win8.1 VM and jumped at it. I also have a VM running the Win10 Technical Preview so I already know that I like it a lot better.
jchef

Post by jchef »

miles monroe wrote:yep, there was that new strange icon on the toolbar this morning.

i'm using 7, everything works, certainly not going to "upgrade" if no reason to do so.
Microsoft end of life for Windows 7 is in less than 5 years. After this date you no longer will get security updates.

If you feel there is a good chance you'll be using the machine longer than that, it's likely a good idea to take the free upgrade.
jchef

Post by jchef »

jebmke wrote: Do you know if the W7 peripheral drivers (esp printers) work with W10. We had problems with some older printers when we first introduced W8 into the mix. The printer manufacturers eventually caught up although I have one wireless extender which has configuration software that simply will not work on W8. I keep a VM with a W7 license on each W8 machine just in case.
Microsoft normally provides an upgrade test tool which will check if drivers exist for all of your devices.

It doesn't appear to be available yet for Windows 10, but I expect it will be made available as we get closer to the release date.
Ged

Post by Ged »

Yes, but not for the first few months to let the dust settle.

I'm running Windows 7 on my machines (desktop + 2 laptops). This is like a $300+ offer for a free update of an OS that is going to be end of life soon.

It's a great and quite surprising offer.
jchef

Post by jchef »

linakin wrote:From what I understand, Microsoft is only planning on offering the free upgrade for a year. After that, if you want to upgrade, you'd need to buy the operating system yourself. SP1 for Windows 10 might not happen within that year time frame, if you'd rather have it for free.
There may never be a SP1. In Windows 10, Microsoft is switching to a model where they release new features when they are ready and don't bother saving everything up for a service pack.

It's in some ways going to be similar to how the Firefox and Chrome browsers make a new release every 6 weeks. Each new browser release may only have 1 or 2 new features and some bug fixes. They don't save up a bunch of new features to try to make a huge splash with a big new release.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

jchef wrote:
miles monroe wrote:yep, there was that new strange icon on the toolbar this morning.

Microsoft end of life for Windows 7 is in less than 5 years. After this date you no longer will get security updates.

If you feel there is a good chance you'll be using the machine longer than that, it's likely a good idea to take the free upgrade.
now thats a good example of a "reason to do so".
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

To me, it's a no-brainer except for one Windows Media Center PC. Win 8.1 performs better than Windows 7 on the same hardware, and I suspect Win 10 will perform at least as well as Win 8.1. I've played with Win 10 in a virtual machine, and it seems promising. It appears as if it will eliminate about half of the discontinuity between the classic Windows desktop and the Windows 8 "Modern" environment. It's not completely there yet in the public previews, but there's still a little time for it to get better.

On the one PC with a TV tuner card, I will have to explore alternatives to Windows Media Center or leave it on Windows 8.1. :?
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Yes, I'll upgrade, but cautiously. I'll let the more eager folks fram around in the software for a few months and find the bugs for everyone.

When my new desktop arrived with Windows 8, I absolutely hated it. In fact I hooked up my laptop running Windows Vista to my 27" monitor, and added a mouse and full-sized keyboard. Wife really nagged me about buying a new desktop and hardly ever using it.

But, as I fooled around with Windows 8, and figured out how to navigate and create apps for my favorites, I really started liking Windows 8 and 8.1. So much easier than the previous menu-driven accesses, IMHO.

I did migrate my old IE sites, and sometimes I need to find a saved link using them. But, now I have my high-traffic sites accessible via an app.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I've been wondering about this too. Windows 10 has Bitlocker encryption, whereas Windows 7 does not. But I am put off by the colorful tiles, though if I could get rid of them somehow and have an uncluttered desktop I would be OK with switching.

I read that you have until a year to switch, so I am guessing that upgrade offer won't be disappearing anytime soon.
Shadow_Dancer

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I received a couple of these Windows 10 invitations, too. I doubt if I will use it on my principal laptop, which uses Windows 7. As other posters have written, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” ...Plus, I should be replacing this laptop in 3 years, so, I’ll worry about Windows 10 at that time.

If, however, I want to experiment with Windows 10, I might download it to an older laptop, which is also using Windows 7. If something goes wrong with it, well, I have already been planning to replace it with a Chromebook, when it gives up the ghost.

However, my question is: How does Microsoft plan to make money from the new Windows 10? . . . Are they planning to switch it from a “product” to a “service,” as they are doing with Office 360? If so, while the initial download may be free, will Microsoft begin charging monthly subscription fees or fees to routinely update it? :confused

There is no such thing as a “free lunch.”
jchef

Post by jchef »

Shadow_Dancer wrote: However, my question is: How does Microsoft plan to make money from the new Windows 10? . . . Are they planning to switch it from a “product” to a “service,” as they are doing with Office 360? If so, while the initial download may be free, will Microsoft begin charging monthly subscription fees or fees to routinely update it?
Microsoft has been clear they have no plans to go to a subscription model for the OS for regular users.

Instead they are planning to go to the app store model. They are going to be pushing really hard for developers of desktop software to sell it through the Windows app store. And Microsoft will of course take a commission on each sale.

They are also desperately hoping that if they can get a lot of desktop/laptop users on Windows 10, they can interest some of them in buying Windows 10 tablets and phones.

They hope to have a lot of software that will run both on the desktop and mobile. So if you buy an app from the Windows app store it will possibly run on both your desktop and your phone.

And they are even planning phones which can be converted to desktops. So you can take a phone and plug it into a dock and now use it as your desktop computer. How well this works on practise remains to be seen.

Microsoft is basically afraid that they are becoming less relevant as iOS and Android become more popular. So they are hoping to make a big splash with Windows 10. And giving it out for free is part of that.
Topic Author
Ever Ready

Post by Ever Ready »

FYI

6 Features Disappearing in Windows 10 (and How to Replace Them)
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485170,00.asp

Ever Ready
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

I started with Windows 3.0 and have upgraded each and every time a new version comes out. I have absolutely no regrets of doing that and will continue indefinitely!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I may get W10 and load it before I buy Quicken 2015 or whatever version is out in spring of 2016, when my Qkn 2012 sunsets.
rob

Post by rob »

I'm going to upgrade because I hate win 8 so much anything will be better - I may have my head handed to me but worth the risk for this one (and I never do first time upgrades :oops:
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
DoubleClick

Post by DoubleClick »

I would ideally like to try Windows 10 on a different machine than the one I received an upgrade invitation on for a couple of months before I decide to update. Anyone know if I can do that? Are the license terms against it? Are there technical impediments?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Windows 8 and now Windows 10.
What happened to Windows 9?
Did I blink??
Attempted new signature...
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ No, Microsoft decided to skip a number. I guess that "9" was too close to "8" and they wanted to make sure that everyone understood that this is a new design. :)

Here's the specs: Windows 10 Specifications - Microsoft Read the fine print at the bottom of the page.
Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.
You've got a year to get WIn 10. I'm going to wait a few months for the dust to settle.

To remove the annoying Win 10 upgrade notice from your status bar, there are 2 approaches:

1. Uninstall MS update KB3035583: How to remove the 'Get Windows 10' app from your PC and cancel your upgrade reservation (I did this one, did not cancel the upgrade.)

2. For the less adventurous, just hide the taskbar icon - "Click “Customize” in the System Tray and turn off the Get Windows 10 app notifications in the menu that comes up." Windows 10 FAQ & Tips - Microsoft

Here's a picture (not from the Microsoft article):

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

If you are happy with your current OS, wait 8 months or so (until a few patches have been released) and upgrade to Win 10. Mainstream Support for Win 7 has already passed (Jan 2015) and Service pack support for Win 8 ends Jan 2016.

Upgrade to win 10 and remain supported - i.e., Microsoft will continue to provide security patches and fixes for the new OS.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

Ever Ready wrote:FYI

Ever Ready
No "DVD playback"? What does that mean? I watch old tv programs via DVDs on my (shhh) XP system from time to time. Does no DVD playback mean DVDs don't work on Windows 10? Are there, like, no DVD drives? Or am I confused :D ?
gd

Post by gd »

Ever Ready
I can imagine how a bubble-dwelling management group would remove solitare as being beneath them and not in style. But not having a built-in DVD player is remarkable. All the extraneous bloat and crap this thing is going to have, and you can't stick a DVD in it and have it play automatically. These people get paid way too much money.
prudent

Post by prudent »

dolphinsaremammals wrote:

Ever Ready
No "DVD playback"? What does that mean? I watch old tv programs via DVDs on my (shhh) XP system from time to time. Does no DVD playback mean DVDs don't work on Windows 10? Are there, like, no DVD drives? Or am I confused :D ?
It means Windows 10 does not include software to play video DVDs. But you can use a free program like VLC Player and there are many others you can purchase like PowerDVD.

Software on a DVD will work in Windows 10.
amd2135

Post by amd2135 »

I'm running the latest preview on my 2008 ThinkPad W500 laptop and it works great.

The same laptop had issues with the driver for its long retired AMD GPU (graphics chip) in Windows 8.1 that it didn't have on 8.0. Microsoft changed something with the driver model and it no longer worked without bluescreening after forcing the driver to install.

To my surprise, Windows 10 installed the driver automatically and it works. I was expecting to use the Intel graphics instead.

No switchable graphics support, but that's hardly surprising. The W500 has an unconventional setup to say the least.
TdF fan

Post by TdF fan »

I use Media Center extensively, so I will won't be upgrading right away. If I can find a good replacement within the free upgrade time frame of one year then I will, otherwise they can pry Win 7 from my cold, dead memory chips. :)
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I don't install new OS's until the x.1 version or Service Pack 1 comes out. (Ex. iOS 8.0.x disabled cellular service on some iPhones. 8.1 fixed it.)

However, I will take Microsoft's free offer for an OS upgrade just as I do with Google and Apple phones every year. Eventually, apps you use or new apps coming out will require the new OS. It's a no brainer to upgrade if you want to keep your computer up to date with the latest security fixes.

I plan to do the upgrade next year though right before Microsoft's offer expires. There has never been a major OS upgrade that didn't cause some incompatibility in a device or function.

And if I truly hate Windows 10? I can just reset the computer to factory condition with the previous OS. No harm, no foul. Like I said, it's a a no brainer to upgrade.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

mmmodem wrote:And if I truly hate Windows 10? I can just reset the computer to factory condition with the previous OS. No harm, no foul. Like I said, it's a a no brainer to upgrade.
Before you upgrade, check to make sure you can do this. Once you activate a W10 image with the license key that came with W7, it is possible that MS activation database will block any attempt to activate your W7 image.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Ever Ready
Oh great! I have 492 CDs ripped lossless in my Windows Media Center. Hope I can find a good replacement, as I use WMC to stream music around the casa. :shock:

I'm sure there are other programs that will do as good a job as Windows Media Center. Though I suppose I could use an old laptop running Vista as a media center, except I'll have to get a larger hard drive to accommodate all the music files.

Maybe a "nerd" (name used with upmost respect) could start a thread identifying possible solutions for the items not supported in Windows 10?? There are some possible solutions in the PC magazine link.

Or, maybe it is time to upgrade my music system, and look into a receiver with wireless capabilities and other networking possibilities.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain