Free Windows 10 Upgrade, Yes or No?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Toons

Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade, Yes or No?

Post by Toons »

Yes :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
sambb

Post by sambb »

abuss368 wrote:We moved everything to Apple the last couple of years. No interest in ever moving back to Windows. Apple's products are so easy and they just work!
+1000
midareff

Post by midareff »

hicabob wrote:Unless you enjoy new operating systems or until there is a program you want that requires a new operating system it's generally best to stay with what works for you. "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Amen... + are you sure all your peripherals, monitor, external drives, printers, etc., have compatible drivers or that drivers matching Win 10 requirements are even available? Will all your software programs work with 10?
crg11

Post by crg11 »

Generally my advice with a new OS is wait for the first service pack or maintenance (non-security) update. Then upgrade, so you are taking full advantage of the latest enhancements (especially security related).
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

sambb wrote:
abuss368 wrote:We moved everything to Apple the last couple of years. No interest in ever moving back to Windows. Apple's products are so easy and they just work!
+1000
I agree if you have the money for their expensive products. I could afford them but I did not want to pay excessively high prices. $1300 for their cheapest laptop, http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbo ... wg-pla-mac.
Their "extra" watch band is to $53.00! Can you believe that? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Loop-T ... 1893576964 The company only pays about $2.50.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Apple does not have a foundation. Bill Gates, Ford and other corporations have had foundations for years. Nope, not Apple.
For a third of the price, Windows has always worked for what I do.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
cfs

Post by cfs »

The big guy is about to sing.

From an article on The Telegraph "Microsoft Windows 10 is launching worldwide tomorrow, following months of speculation and leaks about the official release of the highly-anticipated new operating system. The company will begin rolling out Windows 10 in 190 countries and 111 languages on 29 July."

Getting ready to do one final backup on those files I care about.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
kenner

Post by kenner »

Agree that there is an unfortunate minority subset of the human population that is incapable of understanding and effectively utilizing Windows. Thankfully, telegraph machines are still available for purchase.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Not that many moving parts.

Well, there are not that many moving parts on telegraph machines, so, they are easy to operate. I was and operator and qualified repairman of these babies (with plenty of moving parts): http://www.baudot.net/teletype/pics/M28-ASR-2a.jpg

Already then, back to the original conversation, time to do files backup before Mister Windows 10 arrival.

Edit 1 - Done with my files backup.
Leif

Post by Leif »

If you upgrade from Win 7 is it possible to go back? My netbook has a backup copy of Win 7 in a separate partition. Anyone know what happens to that on the convert to Win 10?
Novine

Post by Novine »

"Generally my advice with a new OS is wait for the first service pack or maintenance (non-security) update. Then upgrade, so you are taking full advantage of the latest enhancements (especially security related)."

Windows 10 isn't going to follow the traditional pattern of patches and service packs. Microsoft will continuously release updates to Windows 10. For consumers, opting out of Windows Update won't be an option.
Raven2

Post by Raven2 »

If you upgrade from Win 7 is it possible to go back? My netbook has a backup copy of Win 7 in a separate partition. Anyone know what happens to that on the convert to Win 10?
If you have made either a complete backup including an image of Windows 7 prior to installing 10, or you have Win 7 in a separate partition as stated, do a quick format of the hard hard drive partition that contains the Windows 10 OS. Then reinstall either the image of 7 which will also restore other programs that were on that partition, or simply install 7 cleanly from your separate partition. Prior to downloading and installing Win 10, make a complete backup of the partition including an image of Windows 7 to a separate hard drive. This will allow both options to be utilized. Also check your procedure for doing a factory reinstall of Win 7 on your computer.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

sschullo wrote: I agree if you have the money for their expensive products. I could afford them but I did not want to pay excessively high prices. $1300 for their cheapest laptop, http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbo ... wg-pla-mac.
Their "extra" watch band is to $53.00! Can you believe that? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Loop-T ... 1893576964 The company only pays about $2.50.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Apple does not have a foundation. Bill Gates, Ford and other corporations have had foundations for years. Nope, not Apple.
You are wrong about $1300 being their cheapest laptop. a 13inch MacBook Air can be had from B&H for $869 with an I5 processor and a 256 GB SSD.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... ebook.html
Best Wishes, SpringMan
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Refurb macs with full warranty are even cheaper yet, starting at just over $400:
http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

There's really hardly any reason to stick with Windows.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

not yet...my printer won't work yet using windows 10 per canon customer service. it will need a new driver which is not yet available. i'll make the switch when the new driver is available and not one second before.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

sunny_socal wrote:Refurb macs with full warranty are even cheaper yet, starting at just over $400:

I agree but those $400 macs are mac minis, not laptops. The B&H laptop computer is not refurbished, though new it is a 2014 model. In most states there will be no sales tax and shipping is free. They are a very reputable company.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Ged

Post by Ged »

sunny_socal wrote:Refurb macs with full warranty are even cheaper yet, starting at just over $400:

Been there, done that. I was an early Mac adopter and decided Apple's closed proprietary ways were too restrictive for the way I want to use my computers. Now I don't see any reason to buy into their walled garden.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Good conversation.

I have two reasons "to stick with Windows" - an old Dell Inspiron Mini (my workhorse) and an old Dell Dimension E520 pc. The pc is about 10 years old (took it to a computer shop about 5 years ago for a tune up,tire rotation, transmission oil change, spark plugs replacement, etc), and the mini is about 6 or 7 years old.

No, not upgrading yet.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

Ged wrote:

Been there, done that. I was an early Mac adopter and decided Apple's closed proprietary ways were too restrictive for the way I want to use my computers. Now I don't see any reason to buy into their walled garden.
Same here. I was really into Macbooks for awhile, but their ways have turned me off over the years. I am actually much more looking forward to Windows 10 and the Microsoft Surface Pro line of products than I am with Apple/OSX/iOS stuff now. As to the original question, there is no need to rush into the Win10 upgrade, but for those that qualify, I do expect it will be the way to go.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

miles monroe wrote:not yet...my printer won't work yet using windows 10 per canon customer service. it will need a new driver which is not yet available. i'll make the switch when the new driver is available and not one second before.
You gave me a start. I've been looking forward to installing WIndows 10 ASAP. After seeing your post, I rushed to Canon's site and discovered that a driver is available for my printer. Whew!

Maybe it's worth checking again if you haven't done so recently.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Just finished my upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1. It took about 30 minutes and went very smoothly. Couldn't have been easier. I haven't noticed anything that didn't carry over yet, but so far everything looks good. I'm sure I'll have some tweaking to do tomorrow.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Doom&Gloom wrote:Just finished my upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1. It took about 30 minutes and went very smoothly. Couldn't have been easier. I haven't noticed anything that didn't carry over yet, but so far everything looks good. I'm sure I'll have some tweaking to do tomorrow.
Good information by our shipmate DG. Thanks for the update.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

Doom&Gloom wrote:Just finished my upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1. It took about 30 minutes and went very smoothly. Couldn't have been easier. I haven't noticed anything that didn't carry over yet, but so far everything looks good. I'm sure I'll have some tweaking to do tomorrow.
Much the same experience for me with 8.1 to 10. I'm happy so far with upgrade, and will move DW windows 7 laptop to 10 while she is shopping..... wish me luck :oops:
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
Confused

Post by Confused »

Blanked for privacy
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

Leif wrote:If you upgrade from Win 7 is it possible to go back? My netbook has a backup copy of Win 7 in a separate partition. Anyone know what happens to that on the convert to Win 10?
this is what the wsj says:

A program called Get Windows 10 that comes with the latest updates to Windows 7 and 8 lets you check whether your system is compatible. If you upgrade and don’t like what you see, there’s a way to roll back to Windows 7 or 8 within 30 days.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/windows-10- ... emonwine_t
slbnoob

Post by slbnoob »

Looks like I'll wait a while before upgrading tomorrow.
http://reviews.gizmodo.com/windows-10-d ... 8135443685

Considering I have a 6 year old Lenovo I'm not ready to give up on yet, I'd rather play safer :)
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Doom&Gloom wrote:
miles monroe wrote:not yet...my printer won't work yet using windows 10 per canon customer service. it will need a new driver which is not yet available. i'll make the switch when the new driver is available and not one second before.
You gave me a start. I've been looking forward to installing WIndows 10 ASAP. After seeing your post, I rushed to Canon's site and discovered that a driver is available for my printer. Whew!

I wouldn't count on anything until you have downloaded, installed the driver and verified it works.

I don't know about Canon, but can tell you this: When I upgraded to Windows 7 several years ago there was no driver, not even a generic, that would work for my Dell printer/scanner/fax combo. My IT guy told me Dell is notorious for this, every time a new Windows OS comes out, they have it rigged so you have to buy a new printer. :annoyed

Funny thing is - the scan function still works fine, so I didn't junk it. Or buy a new Dell. If a need a copy, I scan , save, name, then send the print job to my Old Reliable, Circa 1997, H&P laser b & w printer. :happy
cfs

Post by cfs »

cfs wrote:Good conversation.

I have two reasons "to stick with Windows" - an old Dell Inspiron Mini (my workhorse) and an old Dell Dimension E520 pc. The pc is about 10 years old (took it to a computer shop about 5 years ago for a tune up,tire rotation, transmission oil change, spark plugs replacement, etc), and the mini is about 6 or 7 years old.

No, not upgrading yet.
My old Dell Dimension E520 pc is now up and running with W-10 (this is my first post using W-10 here), I will wait for the evening to upgrade the old Dell Inspiron Mini. It is now time to go out for my LUng distance workout.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

Nope, 7 is working fine. I don't like 10's forced update regime, and whatever else MS has snuck in there.
jchef

Post by jchef »

Ninegrams wrote:Nope, 7 is working fine. I don't like 10's forced update regime, and whatever else MS has snuck in there.
Do you normally check each update before installing them? Most people don't, so it won't make much difference to them.

And Windows 7 will only continue to work fine for another 4.5 years and then support will end. If you expect you'll still be using the device after January 2020, you might want to take advantage of the free update to continue to get security patches.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Update:
Even though Windows 10 seemed to have transferred all my programs and files over from 8.1, I subsequently "reset" Windows 10 because that seems to be what all the cool kids do. I had my files on a different drive (and backed up as well), but I had to reinstall my apps and programs. That too seems to have gone well.

In addition to upgrading my PC, I also upgraded the 8.1 laptop I had just bought for my son to take to college in the fall. Everything has run smoothly on both machines so far.
drawpoker wrote:
Doom&Gloom wrote:

I wouldn't count on anything until you have downloaded, installed the driver and verified it works.

I don't know about Canon, but can tell you this: When I upgraded to Windows 7 several years ago there was no driver, not even a generic, that would work for my Dell printer/scanner/fax combo. My IT guy told me Dell is notorious for this, every time a new Windows OS comes out, they have it rigged so you have to buy a new printer. :annoyed

Funny thing is - the scan function still works fine, so I didn't junk it. Or buy a new Dell. If a need a copy, I scan , save, name, then send the print job to my Old Reliable, Circa 1997, H&P laser b & w printer. :happy
I printed onto my Canon printer both before and after I "reset" Windows 10. No issue either time, other than having to "add" my printer after the reset. Windows 10 found it quickly and printed without a glitch.
miles monroe wrote:
Leif wrote:If you upgrade from Win 7 is it possible to go back? My netbook has a backup copy of Win 7 in a separate partition. Anyone know what happens to that on the convert to Win 10?
this is what the wsj says:

A program called Get Windows 10 that comes with the latest updates to Windows 7 and 8 lets you check whether your system is compatible. If you upgrade and don’t like what you see, there’s a way to roll back to Windows 7 or 8 within 30 days.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/windows-10- ... emonwine_t
In the update and recovery section of Windows 10, it does tell you that you can return to your previous version for 30 days. When I reset both machines, it gave me a warning that if I reset them that I would be unable to return to my previous version. I took the plunge anyway :beer
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

jchef wrote:
Ninegrams wrote:Nope, 7 is working fine. I don't like 10's forced update regime, and whatever else MS has snuck in there.
Do you normally check each update before installing them? Most people don't, so it won't make much difference to them.

And Windows 7 will only continue to work fine for another 4.5 years and then support will end. If you expect you'll still be using the device after January 2020, you might want to take advantage of the free update to continue to get security patches.
I do indeed "check" every update, it isn't that hard, what others do regarding updates is their business. If it was only limited to security updates I think I could probably live with that, but it is not and that crosses the line for me.

As for the EOL for updates, I'll deal with that as the time nears. Probably by either dropping Windows entirely or if MS should see what I( and some others ) view as the error of their ways and relent on the forced updates, purchase new systems( that will be near enough the time of my replacement cycle ) with Windows installed.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

Ninegrams wrote:I do indeed "check" every update, it isn't that hard, what others do regarding updates is their business. If it was only limited to security updates I think I could probably live with that, but it is not and that crosses the line for me.
That makes you very atypical for the majority of users. For them, making sure the system is up-to-date is a good thing. If you want to delay updates a bit, the Pro version has a Defer updates option that delays non-security updates by several months if you'd prefer to allow a little more "bake time" and not be as close to the front edge of supported. That's referred to as the "Current Branch for Business."

Enterprise volume licenses also have an option to install a "long-term" SKU that gets only security updates and fixes, and the traditional 5+5-year support model applies. That's not sold at retail, though.
Doom&Gloom wrote:Update:
Even though Windows 10 seemed to have transferred all my programs and files over from 8.1, I subsequently "reset" Windows 10 because that seems to be what all the cool kids do. I had my files on a different drive (and backed up as well), but I had to reinstall my apps and programs. That too seems to have gone well.

In addition to upgrading my PC, I also upgraded the 8.1 laptop I had just bought for my son to take to college in the fall. Everything has run smoothly on both machines so far.
Glad to hear you've had a good upgrade experience! My laptop, work desktop, and home desktop have been running Win10 for quite a while, so I haven't seen a machine go through the public update path. We've been holding out on my wife's Surface Pro 3 until it was public. My Windows Media Center machine will not be upgrading from Win7, due to the absence of Media Center; I'm hoping to find an adequate replacement before Win7 hits end-of-life. (I know the PC won't stop working, but it's not implausible the Media Center guide data will, either then or at Win8.1 EOL.)
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

I upgraded a Win 7 32 bit home desktop and a Win 7 64 bit pro laptop today, both went smoothly. A third Win 7 home 64 bit laptop I wanted to upgrade was not yet allowed because Microsoft is staging the upgrade.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

If you haven't got your prompt to d/l and install win 10 yet, here is a way to skip to the front of the line.
From Gizmodo:
If you’re just looking to upgrade your computer—not do a clean install—you don’t need to wait for your spot in line. Just follow these steps:

Back up all your data first! As with any upgrade, we recommend backing up before continuing.
Once you’re ready to upgrade, head to this page and download Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool. Launch it when it finishes downloading.
Select the “Upgrade This PC” option and click Next.
Let the Creation Tool run through its process. It should do almost everything automatically from here on out.

After a few minutes, your computer will reboot and run the upgrade. When it finishes, you should find that Windows 10 is installed and, if you head to Settings > About, it shows as fully activated. Sweet!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
Mike
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

The OS has become near irrelevant these days as it seems to do only one essential task - run a browser with wifi connectivity.

I'm happy with 7 (runs Chrome and doesn't crash often) on my 6+ year old AMD desktop that is connected to a TV, but going to try 10 just for kicks.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

archbish99 wrote:
Ninegrams wrote:I do indeed "check" every update, it isn't that hard, what others do regarding updates is their business. If it was only limited to security updates I think I could probably live with that, but it is not and that crosses the line for me.
That makes you very atypical for the majority of users. For them, making sure the system is up-to-date is a good thing. If you want to delay updates a bit, the Pro version has a Defer updates option that delays non-security updates by several months if you'd prefer to allow a little more "bake time" and not be as close to the front edge of supported. That's referred to as the "Current Branch for Business."

Having to spend $200 ( per system ) for the "privilege" of being able to control one's updates doesn't make economic sense to me when I already have a reasonably well functioning operating system.

We obviously have different perspectives on what it means to have an "up to date" system. For example, I install only important/critical updates and never optional updates ( unless I have a specific issue related to them ). You on the other hand would have MS install anything they deem necessary for their purposes. I'm not going to get into who's right or wrong, only that one should have a choice on what is installed by a software maker after you purchase the software. I do have a choice, and I will continue to utilize it now, and when the time comes for a new OS/system in four plus years.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Just a quick tip for the win 10 install. If you have a small c drive and have changed your default download/installation folder to another drive, then win 10 will not give you the option to keep all of your apps and settings. The fix is just to change the default back to the c drive.
After I did that, the installation went fine.
Mike
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I prefer not to be among the first ones to install a new operating system update, Windows or Safari.

Just wondering how much time MSFT will allow before the free update period ends.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

They are giving you a year, so you have plenty of time to wait if you are a cautious sort.
Mike
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads,

We have a couple old HP Laptops running Windows 7 that we do not use but other family members now use (we are all Apple). There is a download notification in the lower right side tray to install Windows 10 if so inclined.

My question: Will Windows 7 automatically at some point install Windows 10?

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

^^^

No
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Doom&Gloom wrote:^^^

No
To my question above?
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

abuss368 wrote:

No
To my question above?
Correct.

At least that is what Microsoft has been saying all along :happy
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Doom&Gloom wrote:
abuss368 wrote:

No
To my question above?
Correct.

At least that is what Microsoft has been saying all along :happy
Many thanks!
Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine »

I updated my Surface Pro 3 yesterday. It was very easy and took about 20 minutes. I backed everything up, but in the end had not needed to. It seems faster. All is very smooth. I had gotten used to 8.1 and had few issues with it, but it is good to have the start functions back together again. As I have a Windows phone (excellent BTW) I am quite familiar with the ever useful and flexible Cortana, Windows Mail (very good, minor quibbles) Windows Calendar (excellent and is now syncing with Google Calendar again--I stopped using Google Calendar a while back though, so no matter) and, of course, the excellent OneNote and One Drive. I have still to try the new internet browser, music app and video app. For now I will stick with what I've been using. There is a new "Action Center" ie a notifications toggle allowing a quick glance of all new activity plus some quick short cuts to settings like bluetooth, battery, wifi, vpn, quiet hours, settings, etc. which is quite useful.

There is much more to explore, but I don't think there is anything to fear here. I am leaving my workhorse Thinkpad with Windows 7 for a while, as it is like an old comfortable pair of jeans, but am also comfortable with the idea of changing it over eventually.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

One issue I have noticed after updating two machines is file sharing from the updated machine to a legacy Win 7 machine. The legacy machine wants the account and password entered and even though I enter it correctly, it complains about the password. Once my third machine is updated I hope this problem is resolved.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Shadow_Dancer

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Here's a CNET review of Microsoft Windows 10 . . .

Microsoft Windows 10 Review: Microsoft gets it right . . . http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-windows-10/

I will update to Windows 10 when I buy a new laptop. Windows 7 works fine on my current machine, and I have no intentions of fixing what is not broken.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

SpringMan wrote:
sschullo wrote: I agree if you have the money for their expensive products. I could afford them but I did not want to pay excessively high prices. $1300 for their cheapest laptop, http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbo ... wg-pla-mac.
You are wrong about $1300 being their cheapest laptop. a 13inch MacBook Air can be had from B&H for $869 with an I5 processor and a 256 GB SSD.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... ebook.html
Well, yeah, I was incorrect, if you want a slow computer with hardly any storage, 128 gig, are you serious? A few hundred pictures and its to capacity. I haven't seen that low of HD storage space since 1990s. My claim of $1300 for a workable Mac laptop still stands with an upgrade of 8 gig of ram and only 256 gig of storage: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... ebook.html

Oh, those apples are so shiny and pretty.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

Novine wrote:"Generally my advice with a new OS is wait for the first service pack or maintenance (non-security) update. Then upgrade, so you are taking full advantage of the latest enhancements (especially security related)."

Windows 10 isn't going to follow the traditional pattern of patches and service packs. Microsoft will continuously release updates to Windows 10. For consumers, opting out of Windows Update won't be an option.
^Auto-updates only applies to the home edition. The Pro version will allow you to selectively update.

Personally, this is a deal breaker for me. I've been burned enough by Window updates. I only want security updates.

BTW, how did this thread veer into Mac vs Windows? :confused
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

sschullo wrote: Well, yeah, I was incorrect, if you want a slow computer with hardly any storage, 128 gig, are you serious? A few hundred pictures and its to capacity. I haven't seen that low of HD storage space since 1990s. My claim of $1300 for a workable Mac laptop still stands with an upgrade of 8 gig of ram and only 256 gig of storage: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... ebook.html

Oh, those apples are so shiny and pretty.
Yes I am serious, Solid State Storage (SSD) is more expensive than spinning hard drive storage. The storage from the 1990s does not compare. It matters not if you are on windows or mac, the cost of SSD is more than spinning hard drives. For around $100 you can get a 2 TB USB-3 external spinning hard drive for storage of movies and pictures. Nothing slow about the computer I originally linked to either.
Last edited by SpringMan on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Best Wishes, SpringMan