All-in-one Printer Recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mlebuf

All-in-one Printer Recommendation

Post by mlebuf »

Early this year I purchased an HP7525 all-in-one printer. It has ceased to function as a printer and the 90 day warranty has passed. Tried doing a reset and reloaded most recent software. It keeps recycling a message about needing to be shutdown properly and does not print. I haven't checked the other functions but I know it does not print and I'm ready to chuck it and get a new printer. Does anyone have any recommendations for an all-in-one device that will do a good job consistently and be cost efficient in terms of ink usage? I get tired running to Staples, etc. to get cartridge refills. Thanks for any and all ideas.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
kenner

Re: All-in-one Printer Recommendation

Post by kenner »

Michael,

I've always found that this website provides solid, top-notch information on technology products:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-all-in ... -2026.html

Best of luck in your search.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Do not buy an ink jet printer as the ink cartridges will cost you a fortune. Buy a laser printer. We like Brother laser printers - affordable to buy, affordable to use (laser cartridges last a long time) and have been reliable.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Sun May 31, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I have an Epson XP-420, but I only use it for color printing and copying. Since I don't have a high volume of that, I couldn't really say how the ink would hold up to heavy use. Also, it doesn't have a document feeder. I don't know important that feature of the HP 7525 is to you. You can go a bit higher in the Epson line to find products with document feeders.

For black and white printing, I have a Brother laser printer I purchased in grad school to print my dissertation. That was a decent purchase because it was on the "returned, as-is" discount table for quite a nice percentage off and the only thing that was wrong with it was a loose clip in the duplex unit. It took about 30 minutes of fiddling to get the clip back in place, but it's been running fine for over a decade since.

But in general, Brother makes decent, low-cost laser printers. So you might consider going that route if you're doing mostly black and white printing. You can keep the HP for scanning.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

DSInvestor wrote:Do not buy an ink jet printer as the ink cartridges will cost you a fortune. Buy a laser printer. We like Brother laser printers - affordable to buy, affordable to use (laser cartridges last a long term) and have been reliable.
Ditto. I'm very happy with my Brother multifunction B&W laser printer. I still have an older Epson printer in case I need color printing, but I have not set it up again since I bought the Brother several years ago.
telemark

Post by telemark »

For what it's worth, I once fixed a misbehaving HP all in one printer by removing the ink cartridge, glaring at it, and putting it back in (the glaring part was probably unnecessary). I got the idea by doing a Google search on the printer model and the exact error message, so that's what I suggest here: do a Google search on the exact error message. Chances are you aren't the first one to have this problem.

You might try the ink cartridge thing too, just in case.
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

Big fan of thewirecutter.. I think their recommendations are spot-on most of the time. I have bought routers, modems, televisions, and even kitchen appliances based on thewirecutter's recommendation and have been very, very happy with them.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-a ... e-printer/
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
gd

Post by gd »

"all-in-one" generally implies fax, which most people don't use any more. 3-in-1 will get you a clean, easy to use printer with an on button and a small screen-- throw in a fax and they become office equipment with instrument panels. I'm quite happy with my simple HP Envy 5530. I disable color printing except when essential, buy black refill kits online (guessing maybe $10 for 3-4 Inktec refills), put up with a little inconvenience to refill, and it's great. An older model required disassembly to clean the print heads occasionally , but this one *appears* to have them built into each cartridge. I figure I'll buy a new cartridge every 5 refills or so. I believe it complains once every refill, and HP sneaks some obnoxious adware on your PC that I vaguely recall spending some time disabling. Can't say if others do that.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

My Epson Workforce uses ink like a top fuel dragster uses fuel. Would not buy again :oops:
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Brother all-in-one laser printer
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

We've got a Canon PIXMA MX472 Wireless All-In-One Inkjet Printer at our home. And an Epson WorkForce WF-2530 Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet at our condo. Both are great low end printers. We paid less than current pricing and no shipping, but both are now about $80 on Amazon.

I'd go with the Canon again because the replacement ink is cheaper than the Epson. The Canon uses a Black and a Color cartridge. The Epson uses 4 (5?) cartridges so the replacement ink costs about as much as the printer.

I tried a Brothers all-in-one B&W laser from Costco but eventually returned it. It used proprietary software that I wasn't willing to take the time to learn. Plus I kept getting jams when I'd print envelopes.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

DSInvestor wrote:Do not buy an ink jet printer as the ink cartridges will cost you a fortune. Buy a laser printer. We like Brother laser printers - affordable to buy, affordable to use (laser cartridges last a long term) and have been reliable.
I agree with this! :sharebeer

Also if you buy another HP printer make sure you get it from Costco as you can return it even after the 90 days are up.
Last edited by jeff1949 on Sun May 31, 2015 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I too got fed up with HP. Currently using a Brother All-in-One and am happy with it. It even survived a year in a storage shed and came out working just like new.
Digital Dave

Post by Digital Dave »

6 years ago I purchased a Brother all in one laser machine. I didn't use it very much but it worked very well. Recently I bought a Brother MFC-L2740DW wireless network printer. I gave my old Brother to my car mechanic so he could get rid of his old ink jet. The old Brother gets a lot of use now and I'm happy with my new one. NewEgg has them on sale now and again and that is what prompted me to make the change.

Dave
Investing in Mutual Funds, ETF's, Forever Stamps and Bittulips.
songman52

Post by songman52 »

Several years ago I bought a Brother MFC 410W when it was on sale for $50. I was looking for a cartridge for a Canon printer I had. The new Brother was cheaper (the $50 was half off) than the Canon cartridge. I have been quite satisfied with the Brother. I get third-party cartridges for about $3 each online. If one does a lot of printing there are even bulk kits available to fit it. I've had HP and Canon printers in the past. They all printed fine but the replacement ink was ridiculous! So I'll stick with the Brother. I've only printed a few photos. I have used the scanner quite a bit though.
General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray »

I have to disagree with the recommendations for the Brother all-in-one printers. I currently use a Brother MFC 9325CW. I bought it brand new because it received really great reviews and the price was right. I was under the impression it produced laser-quality print (it is supposed to be a laser printer after all), but the quality is that of a dot matrix.

I occasionally use the copier and the scanner. Scanner scans okay, but if you have multiple pages, the pages/image comes out crooked and some of the pages get stuck together and are fed into the feeder simultaneously. So for multiple pages, I find that I have to supervise the process and feed each page separately.

Finally, the printer is a complete toner hog for the color ink. The color ink cartridges are quite costly and they run out fast. There are tricks to conserving them, which I use, but even then, the color ink disappears quite quickly

I've had my printer since around 2013-2014, and I don't use the color print that often (I normally instruct the printer to print in black and white, to conserve the color ink). But even with conservative use and proper cleaning, all of the colors are off; they do not print correctly at all: Reds do not print at all; instead, they come out as magenta. The other colors also are off.

In the future, if I were to buy a Brother multifunction printer, I would avoid the color printer and stick to black and white.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I'd steer clear of the all-in-ones. While there's nothing wrong per se about them, you will get better, more consistent performance from separate devices, and as one part of the device gets older/obsolete or breaks outright, it's much easier to replace with a superior device rather than be stuck with a so-so device.

Additionally, the expendables (ink) are much cheaper for a standalone BW laser printer, which will pay for itself in the long run.

Yes, you'll pay more up front, but it's totally worth it. My laser printer, Fujitsu Scansnap scanner have held up amazingly well for 7 years now. I have only bought one laser ink cartridge early on when the 'mini' cartridge ran out. (Most laser printers now ship with a mini ink cartridge, unfortunately.)
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

mlebuf wrote:Early this year I purchased an HP7525 all-in-one printer. It has ceased to function as a printer and the 90 day warranty has passed. Tried doing a reset and reloaded most recent software. It keeps recycling a message about needing to be shutdown properly and does not print. I haven't checked the other functions but I know it does not print and I'm ready to chuck it and get a new printer. Does anyone have any recommendations for an all-in-one device that will do a good job consistently and be cost efficient in terms of ink usage? I get tired running to Staples, etc. to get cartridge refills. Thanks for any and all ideas.
If there's a chance that you might want to keep machine, have you tried its troubleshooting utility? I think it's called Print and Scan Doctor.
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

Consumersearch.com recommends four all-in-one: two Brothers, one Canon, one HP. Full report is here, http://www.consumersearch.com/all-in-on ... on-printer
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

I know I was already beaten to the punch, but thewirecutter is my go to place for objects I have no information on/no care to research heavily.

I know nothing!
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

lightheir wrote:I'd steer clear of the all-in-ones. While there's nothing wrong per se about them, you will get better, more consistent performance from separate devices, and as one part of the device gets older/obsolete or breaks outright, it's much easier to replace with a superior device rather than be stuck with a so-so device.

Additionally, the expendables (ink) are much cheaper for a standalone BW laser printer, which will pay for itself in the long run.

Yes, you'll pay more up front, but it's totally worth it. My laser printer, Fujitsu Scansnap scanner have held up amazingly well for 7 years now. I have only bought one laser ink cartridge early on when the 'mini' cartridge ran out. (Most laser printers now ship with a mini ink cartridge, unfortunately.)
I am going to disagree with this. Yes, you have a single point office failure, however for the same money you can get a better grade all in one than with separate machines. A printer and a copier use much the same actual machinery. Combine a copier and some software and you basically have a scanner. Add a phone connection and some software and you have a fax. A good all in one will take up more space than any individual copier or printer, but much less than four individual machines. My wife and I both have Brother all in one lasers in his and hers home offices (hers is color, mine B&W) so with wireless printing we do not actually have a single point failure if one machine goes down.

Ralph
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

DSInvestor wrote:Do not buy an ink jet printer as the ink cartridges will cost you a fortune. Buy a laser printer. We like Brother laser printers - affordable to buy, affordable to use (laser cartridges last a long time) and have been reliable.
Agreed, inkjet sellers take the "give away the razor and sell the blades" approach to pricing. I always check to make sure that Costco will refill the cartridges of the printer I'm buying which makes the ink much more affordable. Buying a printer with multiple tanks also reduces ink cost. After buying the printer I purchase a set of XL cartridges (Costco often has specials on those) and then have them refilled at Costco when empty. The only downside is that occasionally the printer will give you a message that the cartridge is out-of-date or something similar.

I also usually purchase my printers at Costco because of their excellent return policy - basically no time limit within reason - and their prices are typically very competitive, especially for the printers they have on special.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

ralph124cf wrote:
lightheir wrote:I'd steer clear of the all-in-ones. While there's nothing wrong per se about them, you will get better, more consistent performance from separate devices, and as one part of the device gets older/obsolete or breaks outright, it's much easier to replace with a superior device rather than be stuck with a so-so device.

I am going to disagree with this. Yes, you have a single point office failure, however for the same money you can get a better grade all in one than with separate machines. A printer and a copier use much the same actual machinery. Combine a copier and some software and you basically have a scanner. Add a phone connection and some software and you have a fax. A good all in one will take up more space than any individual copier or printer, but much less than four individual machines. My wife and I both have Brother all in one lasers in his and hers home offices (hers is color, mine B&W) so with wireless printing we do not actually have a single point failure if one machine goes down.

Ralph
You can use the Fujitsu scansnap as as superior fax and copier to most all-in-ones, due to the speed, portability and sheet feeder. Plus the Fujitsu scansnap's footprint is so small you can put it in a drawer if you're not using it much.

I agree that I wouldn't buy a separate fax, copier machine - but the Scansnap does both and uses software to bridge the functions.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

I'm firmly in the Brother product camp. I'm on my second inkjet all in one. First one lasted 10+years. I've had the current one about 2-3 years. I spend about $10 every two years on ink - so $5/year. That covers the occasional printing and the ink used up by cleaning the heads. Buy third party ink on Amazon.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I just buy the cheapest one at WallyWorld as long as it is not HP. Usually Canon, in the range of $30. They print just as well as the fancy ones, install easily, and if it gives me the slightest glitch, deep-6 it for another. Cheaper than the refill cartridge.
scrisp

Post by scrisp »

You can use the Fujitsu scansnap as as superior fax and copier to most all-in-ones, due to the speed, portability and sheet feeder. Plus the Fujitsu scansnap's footprint is so small you can put it in a drawer if you're not using it much.

I agree that I wouldn't buy a separate fax, copier machine - but the Scansnap does both and uses software to bridge the functions.
+1

I gave up on ink-jet printers a few years ago (and replaced them with a Brother Laser B&W printer). Much more cost effective and reliable proposition.

Fujitsu Scansnap is another one of those devices that just keeps on working. If you have ever thought about going "paperless", this is the device you need.

And who really needs/wants a physical fax machine these days? Keep everything in electronic form. I pay a small monthly fee for HelloFax since I need to be able to send and receive faxes for my rental business, and I find it very useful (always have my 'fax machine' with me, even when I travel ;-)
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. HDT
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

mlebuf wrote:and be cost efficient in terms of ink usage?
If you want ink then you have to compromise on cost efficiency. I'd suggest getting a non-disposable laser that can be repaired. I'm still using an old Laserjet 2300 though I'm not sure I'd recommend any of their current products. Inkjets are designed by the companies to make money via the ink.

You're also compromising when all-in-one is a requirement as well. What are your priorities in order from top to bottom? Does the convenience of all-in-one trump everything else?
fishboat

Post by fishboat »

Yet another suggestion to NOT BUY HP...I bought one years ago..junk..thought I just picked a bad model..bought another one, different model that was highly rated...junk. Tossed that one out when I was given a brand new 'highly rated' HP inkjet...useless. HP is more interested in collecting data about you then selling you something that actually works.

Second suggestion...by a laser printer..I've found them to be much more reliable and much more inexpensive then an inkjet.

I have this one now..for the last 18+(?) months(I paid $100..it's gone up, but still cheap). Works perfect in all functions. You'll have it up and running in 5 minutes. I send something to the printer and..it prints. Let it sit for a month..and need to print something..it prints.....novel concept.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-imageCLASS- ... all+in+one
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

gd wrote:"all-in-one" generally implies fax, which most people don't use any more.
Although I generally purchase all-in-ones I don't use the fax capability. With scanning capability most will now scan onto a memory card in .pdf or .jpg format and the file can then be emailed from a computer. There are also apps for phones which allow you to take a photo of the document and email or text it directly from the phone. I have no reason for a fax any longer.
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

tidelandp wrote:Consumersearch.com recommends four all-in-one: two Brothers, one Canon, one HP. Full report is here, http://www.consumersearch.com/all-in-on ... on-printer
My really old all in one Cannon printer finally died 6 months ago and I was forced to buy a new all in one printer.

I prefer the all in one type as I do lots of document scanning and want photo quality printing for my pictures.

I love the Cannon Pixma MX922 all in one, didn't know it was one of the 4 top reveiws. :D

No, I don't use the FAX as I have no land line. I caught it on sale for around $55 at Staples.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

FrugalInvestor wrote:
gd wrote:"all-in-one" generally implies fax, which most people don't use any more.
Although I generally purchase all-in-ones I don't use the fax capability. With scanning capability most will now scan onto a memory card in .pdf or .jpg format and the file can then be emailed from a computer. There are also apps for phones which allow you to take a photo of the document and email or text it directly from the phone. I have no reason for a fax any longer.
Philosophically I agree with you. I scan and email or photo/email. But I continue to be surprised by how often I'm told that "we don't accept email, you have to fax it." This continues to be an issue for me with doctors, but also with some other businesses.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Brother laser printers are fine, either color or b/w, or one of each.
I would AVOID buying an all in one combo unless you just don't have the space.
A separate scanner doesn't cost all that much.

And I've not FAXed anything for years.
I no longer have a landline, so if I absolutely had to fax something, I'd have to find an app for my smartphone that could fax a PDF file...
Attempted new signature...
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

We have a Canon. I've had Brother before, both are good. Definitely get a laser, the cartridges work out to be cheaper than inkjet and you can also get aftermarket cartridges from ebay that work just as well as the OEM. Think $50 to print thousands of pages.

- I'd would get a model with the Fax anyway, you never know when you'll need this and it's a PITA to schlep over to the nearest Fedex to send a fax. Besides, it's just a software feature these days hence it comes 'for free' on a multifunction machine :mrgreen:
- The copier is somewhat useful.
- The PDF scanner is very useful! You can backup documents or copy them for emailing to banks etc
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

I've gone through a ton of inkjet multifunction printers....HP and Epson models and none of them really lasted or worked that great. Finally I sprang for one of the Brother Color multifunction laser printers and wow, never going back. I got this particular model last year

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFC9330CD ... er-Scanner

Mostly I use it for printing and copying. I have never bothered to use the scanner because I have a fast professional scanner at work. The fax I only used when refinancing the mortgage and had to fax a bunch of stuff to the mortgage company. Print quality is great. The color printing is good enough for graphics work but no photo quality. Photos are OK, just not glossy perfect like a photo printer. With the Brother there are various after-market toner venders on Amazon that make good products for half the price. I have 3 kids who go through a lot of printing for school projects sometimes.

One word of caution with the Brother color multi-function lasers. They have a big footprint. It really looks like a commercial office machine so don't plan on sitting it on your normal sized desk. It really needs its own table. I have mine sitting on a cart in my guest bedroom. As it is WiFi I can print to it from any computer, tablet or phone in the house.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

An advantage of laser printers over ink jet for people who do a lot of printing is, of course, the cost per page. But there is also an advantage for people who do NOT do a lot of printing: ink cartridges can dry out or clog the jets if not used frequently. So you either have to throw out a partially used cartridge or use up ink running tests to unclog the jets. That is why I switched (back) to a laser.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Deleted Post
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob

Post by rob »

Anything but a "brother"..... Their printer refused to print black and white because it didn't have cyan/yellow or magenta ink.... complete rip off.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

rob wrote:Anything but a "brother"..... Their printer refused to print black and white because it didn't have cyan/yellow or magenta ink.... complete rip off.
This is why it's better to have two Brother printers, one color, one b/w...
Attempted new signature...
bobble

Post by bobble »

+1 on the recommendation for Brother's MFC9330CDW. Happiest I've ever been with a printer (excluding my father's HP LaserJet Series II that is...).

The only drawback I've encountered is that sometime's there's blue tint to the color scans. When I set the scanner to black and white it's perfect. Other then that great MF printer.
Topic Author
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Hi Bogleheads,

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. They were enormously helpful. Here's an update on what has transpired.

After having no success getting my HP7525 to work, I thought I would try contacting HP and found an 800 number online. When I called, I got a recorded reply asking that I contact them about the problem online and they gave me a link. I went to the link. They asked for my name, phone number, printer model and serial number, a brief summary of the problem and invited me to submit the information. When I did, I got another message that read, "This product is no longer serviced by HP." Whaat? Keep in mind that I purchased two of them brand new on February 15, 2015. No more HP products for yours truly. In my book, HP now stands for, "Hardly practical."

I read the recommended links and suggestions that many of you provided and started looking for other reviews. I wanted an all-in-one device because space is at a premium in my office. I've had all-in-one devices in the past and they are fine for my needs. Reading all of the online recommendations about best all-in-one devices is about as confusing as listening to a bunch of economists. Lay them all end-to-end and you'll never reach a conclusion. Each expert had his own favorite choices and they rarely agreed on anything. However I did find one model that both MacWorld and Wirecutter agreed on was a winner and decided I would buy it. My choice was an Epson WF-4630. I found the best price where I could buy it locally at BestBuy for $199. Having struck out at HP, I thought I would take the HP to Staples where I bought it to see if I could get some store credit for the $90. I had paid for it.

This afternoon I put printer in the trunk, got the receipt from Staples and headed off first to BestBuy to buy the Epson printer. Much to my delight BestBuy had a special offer on: Trade-in any printer and get $50 off the price of the Epson WF-4630. I had the old printer in the truck, that lowered the price to $150 and negated the need to go to Staples. Having just been burned by HP, I opted for a two-year replacement warranty that cost me all of $25. I know that's not very Boglehead like, but I see it as a convenience cost. Next, I went to OfficeMax to buy computer paper. I was prepared to buy 2 packs of 500 sheets of paper. I get there and the normal 500 sheet packs have an additional 125 sheets. I'm thinking, "This must be my lucky day." Then, when I went to check out, the salesperson said, "You bought 2 packs so you get a third one free." I started thinking about heading off to a local casino. :D

I brought the printer home. It took me a little less than 90 minutes to unbox and set it up. It all went smoothly. All I have done thus far is print with it and it prints fine. For anyone interested, here's a nice video review of the Epson WF-4630:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR5vPqof1AE
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Glad to hear you got the new printer and some deals in the process.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

A good day indeed! Nice job mlebuf. :)
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

tidelandp wrote:Consumersearch.com recommends four all-in-one: two Brothers, one Canon, one HP. Full report is here, http://www.consumersearch.com/all-in-on ... on-printer
Resurrect an old thread. I need one to support both my Chromebook and DW's iPad for under $200. :dollar

I'm narrowing it down to either of the Brother's LJ all-in-one 2700 and 2740 monochrome, or a Dell e515dw:

http://tinyurl.com/hdmo2hc

Anyone has experience with Dell printers? BTW, it's DW's de-cluttering effort in replacing a HP printer, an Epson scanner and a QE2 fax machine. :mrgreen:
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I decided to go with black and white Brother laser printer. Scanner and printer. Love it and no color ink cartridges.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I also have a chromebook and an HP inkjet printer that didn't last. I just purchased a Brother HL-L2380DW.
Small Change

Post by Small Change »

I've had the Brother L2740DW for a few months. Bought it based on good experiences with cheap Brother lasers and poor experiences with HP.

It works well with my MacBook and with my Toshiba Chromebook.

I really like the 2740DW's touchscreen.
United2008

Post by United2008 »

walletless wrote:Big fan of thewirecutter.. I think their recommendations are spot-on most of the time. I have bought routers, modems, televisions, and even kitchen appliances based on thewirecutter's recommendation and have been very, very happy with them.
+1000!
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

United2008 wrote:
walletless wrote:Big fan of thewirecutter.. I think their recommendations are spot-on most of the time. I have bought routers, modems, televisions, and even kitchen appliances based on thewirecutter's recommendation and have been very, very happy with them.
+1000!
I did check out the link but in my case, color and inkjets are outside my scope and budget.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I bought a HP all in one 8610 inkjet model about 6 months ago and am pleased with it. Ink cartridges are expensive but last much longer than the Canon it replaced. At this price point, I think Canon and HP make good products. HP has lower ink cost, both have excellent support and are reliable. I have used both laser and ink jet and personally prefer inkjet printers.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I just bought this HP Envy 4520 last week. (no fax)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013S ... UTF8&psc=1

It fits my needs for very infrequent and low volume printing, low initial cost, low profile. Setup was quick, but then needed to update the drivers a day later to connect to a laptop by wifi. Turned off auto ink ordering.

I thought I'd never buy another HP printer but this seemed best for my needs at a part time location. So far so good.