Looking to Retire in Cleveland

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gouldnm

Looking to Retire in Cleveland

Post by gouldnm »

My husband and I are about 5-10 years out from retirement, and we are slowly starting to research where we would like to retire. We are currently living in Maryland but are originally from the Midwest. I grew up in a small community in Southwest Michigan, my husband grew up in Canton, Ohio. We have made several trip to Cleveland over the past few years and are thinking of retiring there. Here's what we like about it:

--We definitely want to move back to the Midwest. We like the friendly, Midwestern culture, and it would be close to our families.
--Cleveland has a lot of amenities of much larger cities (e.g., lots of culture, a world-class symphony) without the disadvantages such as traffic and a high cost of living.
--The Cleveland Clinic is an excellent hospital (gotta think about that when you retire)
--Ohio in general is moderate politically. We'd rather avoid extremists or people who are intolerant (on either side of the political spectrum).
--Housing is cheaper than many other cities

It's not the prettiest city in the world, but it's more important to us to be close to entertainment and restaurants.

The climate isn't the greatest, but we're both native Midwesterners and can handle it. Besides, I'd far rather deal with snow than hurricanes.

We were wondering:

#1. Is there anybody here who is familiar with Cleveland who could tell us about the pros and cons of living there?
#2. What parts of the city or close-in suburbs would we want to consider given that we'll be retired? Are there any suburbs that I should avoid? One thing I know that we would NOT like would be a homogenous, yuppee suburb.
#3. Is there anything else that we should consider.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Hoosier

Re: Looking to Retire in Cleveland

Post by Hoosier »

Though a lttle drive to the urban center, if you're interested in the outdoors look at Peninsula.
Live in the middle of a National Park, but just a short drive to all that Cleveland has to offer.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaker_Heights,_Ohio

is somewhat famous amongst urban historians. Can't speak to what it is like to live in now (might be expensive). But a 1920s streetcar suburb: along the lines of Boston's Brookline, or parts of Brooklyn in NYC. One downside I can see is that like some of its peers, it was built to 'separate' shopping, working and living-- therefore car dependent and somewhat lonely (big houses, lack of interaction).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Weste ... University gives Cleveland a 'punch' above its weight as a mid sized city, arguably.

If you are looking for midwestern cities Pittsburgh is the one that is seen to be a 'success'.
Super Hans

Post by Super Hans »

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Best wishes. But I have to say- the best thing about Cleveland is the art museum, which is excellent and free.

The Cleveland Clinic may be excellent but many larger cities have similarly excellent hospitals. On the negative side- lots of lake effect snow and more urban decay than many northeast cities. Well, except maybe for Detroit.

I have visited some of the smaller towns in the summertime (was it Solon?) that were charming. I wish you the best- and I hear that you have family there- but- Cleveland is a surprising and unusual choice for retirement.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

These kinds of questions get asked all the time at this forum. Review the ones that have already been asked, and if you have any more, register and post away:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleveland/
Topic Author
gouldnm

Post by gouldnm »

adamthesmythe wrote:Best wishes. But I have to say- the best thing about Cleveland is the art museum, which is excellent and free.

The Cleveland Clinic may be excellent but many larger cities have similarly excellent hospitals. On the negative side- lots of lake effect snow and more urban decay than many northeast cities. Well, except maybe for Detroit.

I have visited some of the smaller towns in the summertime (was it Solon?) that were charming. I wish you the best- and I hear that you have family there- but- Cleveland is a surprising and unusual choice for retirement.
Yes, other cities have excellent hospitals, but they are also much more expensive and have a lot more traffic. I prefer to avoid the MEGA cities for that reason. For the record, my sister is a doctor in Chicago and when I told her I wanted to retire in Cleveland, she told me, "I want to retire in Cleveland for their hospital!" Her husband had a massive heart attack, and she made a special trip to Cleveland to get a second opinion because she told me the hospitals in Chicago just weren't as good.

I agree, Cleveland is a surprising choice. I've lived/spent a lot of time in MEGAcities, and I've also spent a lot of time in small, supposedly idyllic small towns. I didn't care for the glitzy MEGAcities. Besides the traffic and high cost of living and general stress-level, I got tired of being around people who were obsessed with their careers at the expense of everything else. One thing about Midwestern cities is that people tend to place family and community above their careers. That's important to me, especially since I'll no longer have a career once I retire.

As for the small towns, I've found them to be very limiting. I appreciate that people who have spent much of their time in the MEGAcities tend to idealize small towns and want to retire in them, but I grew up in a small resort town, and I currently live in a small town (right on the Chesapeake Bay), and they are simply too homogenous and boring for my comfort.

I like culture and diversity. At the same time, I don't want to live in a place that's so overwhelmingly huge that people spend hours of time in their cars and there's no sense of community.
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

I've lived in the southwest Cleveland suburbs for 35 years, and here is where I will retire.

My wife and I built a new "cluster home" in 2004, which got me out of lawn mowing, snow shoveling, etc. Then, when I got sick in 2006 and was no longer allowed to do that maintenance work, we discovered that we had lucked into our very own, unintended, geriatric retirement home. The Cleveland Clinic has been keeping me alive for nine years, and although its main campus is on the other side of town, it's still only 40-45 minutes away.

The cultural amenities that others have mentioned are real. Music, art, sports, Lake Erie, vast parkways, great restaurants, an impressive theater district, etc. I'm here to stay.

If you have time to decide, watch the Cleveland promotions on national TV in summer 2016 when the Republican National Convention is here.
Topic Author
gouldnm

Post by gouldnm »

bobinberea wrote:If you have time to decide, watch the Cleveland promotions on national TV in summer 2016 when the Republican National Convention is here.
Great idea! Nice to hear from somebody who lives in the Cleveland area and likes it!
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Don't forget the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame
I also believe Lake Erie has some good fishing. It is a lot cleaner than it used to be.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

gouldnm wrote:
adamthesmythe wrote:Best wishes. But I have to say- the best thing about Cleveland is the art museum, which is excellent and free.

Yes, other cities have excellent hospitals, but they are also much more expensive and have a lot more traffic. I prefer to avoid the MEGA cities for that reason. For the record, my sister is a doctor in Chicago and when I told her I wanted to retire in Cleveland, she told me, "I want to retire in Cleveland for their hospital!" Her husband had a massive heart attack, and she made a special trip to Cleveland to get a second opinion because she told me the hospitals in Chicago just weren't as good.

I agree, Cleveland is a surprising choice. I've lived/spent a lot of time in MEGAcities, and I've also spent a lot of time in small, supposedly idyllic small towns. I didn't care for the glitzy MEGAcities. Besides the traffic and high cost of living and general stress-level, I got tired of being around people who were obsessed with their careers at the expense of everything else. One thing about Midwestern cities is that people tend to place family and community above their careers. That's important to me, especially since I'll no longer have a career once I retire.

As for the small towns, I've found them to be very limiting. I appreciate that people who have spent much of their time in the MEGAcities tend to idealize small towns and want to retire in them, but I grew up in a small resort town, and I currently live in a small town (right on the Chesapeake Bay), and they are simply too homogenous and boring for my comfort.

I like culture and diversity. At the same time, I don't want to live in a place that's so overwhelmingly huge that people spend hours of time in their cars and there's no sense of community.
I know nothing of Cleveland, so I'm not trying to dissuade you from it. That said, I've never heard someone plan to move there to retire.

Ann Arbor ticks off all your boxes and punches way above its weight given the cultural influence of the university. Outstanding culture/music, tolerant politics, much better weather than Cleveland with no lake effect snow, and smaller without being 'small.' The University is a medical powerhouse and a major airport is still only 30 minutes away. The cost of living is still pretty reasonable. It's closer to midway between SW Michigan and Canton.

Probably it all depends on who you plan to root for in November. If Ohio State, then better stay in Cleveland. If the maize and blue, better move to Ann Arbor.
sport

Post by sport »

My wife and I are also retired and living in the Cleveland area. The first thing about Cleveland to be aware of is that it has a lot of suburbs, and the character of these suburbs vary considerably. Most of the nicer residential areas are in the suburbs. The suburbs range from an "inner city" environment, blue collar neighborhoods, upscale areas, to luxury housing. Some suburbs are within Cuyahoga county and are fairly close to downtown Cleveland. Others are in neighboring counties and include some small towns and rural areas. It really depends on individual preferences. Another interesting consideration is that the east side and the west side of the area (separated by the river) are somewhat different in character, and most people prefer one or the other. Ethnic areas are part of this consideration. I note that you specifically mention the Cleveland Clinic. You should be aware that there are two major groups of hospitals in the Cleveland area. The Clinic is one, and University Hospitals is the other. They are both highly respected organizations. If you have any questions as your selection process progresses, please feel free to send PMs to me.

Jeff
Topic Author
gouldnm

Post by gouldnm »

letsgobobby wrote: Ann Arbor ticks off all your boxes and punches way above its weight given the cultural influence of the university. Outstanding culture/music, tolerant politics, much better weather than Cleveland with no lake effect snow, and smaller without being 'small.' The University is a medical powerhouse and a major airport is still only 30 minutes away. The cost of living is still pretty reasonable. It's closer to midway between SW Michigan and Canton.

Probably it all depends on who you plan to root for in November. If Ohio State, then better stay in Cleveland. If the maize and blue, better move to Ann Arbor.
Actually, I went to both U of M (undergrad) and Ohio State (grad). I root for the Buckeyes, but that's not why I wouldn't want to retire in Ann Arbor.

I lived in Ann Arbor for five years and thought it was a wonderful college town. But, like the bigger cities, it has a lot of very well educated and professional people who are very focused on their careers. Maybe this is hard for a lot of people to understand, but that's really not what I'm looking for at this point in my life. What I'd like is a place that has lots of cultural activities but still has the friendly feeling of community that you get in a more rust belt town. That's the part of the midwest I miss.

Also, I'm not so sure about how tolerant the politics there are. My boyfriend in college was in Army ROTC and he used to take a lot of flack for being in the military. Considering that I work for DoD and live in a military community now, I still think about that. Admittedly, this was 30 years ago, so maybe things have changed now. I hope so!

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you see in Ann Arbor. It's a great town, and I enjoyed the time I spent there. But it's not where I want to retire.
SleepKing

Post by SleepKing »

gouldnm wrote:Don't get me wrong, I understand what you see in Ann Arbor. It's a great town, and I enjoyed the time I spent there. But it's not where I want to retire.
Yes! My family was in A2 for 5 years and had a similar experience. While we enjoyed our time and experience there, I 100% agree A2 is definitely NOT 'tolerant' of opposing political views, even though they love saying they are. Very expensive real-estate (in A2, getting out towards Dexter, Ypsi, etc... are more reasonable) and certainly without most of the amenities of NorthEast OH. The things we miss the most from A2 are UM Health System (I'd take them over Cleveland Clinic or UH any day, but i'm biased due to my training) and access to Detroit Airport; fly almost anywhere in the world direct!

As for NE Ohio, I would consider a few things:
-Cuyahoga Co taxes, vs lower costs in surrounding counties including Summit, Medina, Lake, Geauga, Lorain
-The interstate system is fairly robust. From any of these counties you are realistically within a 30 minute drive of 'downtown': Playhouse square, sporting events, Severance Hall, the major hospitals, etc...
-Don't forget that you are not just moving near Cleveland, but also Akron, Canton, and 90 minutes from Columbus. This larger region is so full of parks, recreation, shopping, restaurants, and more. If you remain 'mobile'/driving in your golden years you will not run out of places to go or things to do!
-My wife and I have a fantasy of retiring to Lakewood/west Cleveland and living in a high rise overlooking lake erie or a home along Edgewater Dr. for the summers and snowbirding the winters in a warmer climate.

Sleepy
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

I guess expensive real estate is relative. I've been on the west coast for more than 20 years so everything in the midwest looks cheap now.
Topic Author
gouldnm

Post by gouldnm »

SleepKing wrote: -The interstate system is fairly robust. From any of these counties you are realistically within a 30 minute drive of 'downtown': Playhouse square, sporting events, Severance Hall, the major hospitals, etc...
-Don't forget that you are not just moving near Cleveland, but also Akron, Canton, and 90 minutes from Columbus. This larger region is so full of parks, recreation, shopping, restaurants, and more. If you remain 'mobile'/driving in your golden years you will not run out of places to go or things to do!
-Sleepy
Sleepy:

You mention the very things that I miss most about living in Ohio!

Not only did I live in Columbus for two years when I was going to OSU, but I also lived in Dayton for two years. Plus my husband is from Canton. I like Canton a lot, too, but I'm a little bit leery of moving to a smaller town. I figure that Cleveland is big enough that I ought to be able to find plenty of people who share my interests.

My husband plays violin in our local community orchestra and he tells me that the Cleveland Symphony is in the top five of the U.S. (along with the NY Philharmonic, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago)--and nothing beats Severance Hall! That place is really impressive. I've also heard that Playhouse Square has the highest concentration of theaters outside of Broadway.

I love the way you can get anywhere in the city within 30 minutes (that was true of Columbus and Dayton as well). I also love the fact that places like Columbus and Pittsburg are an easy drive. Even Chicago (where much of my family lives) is an easy weekend trip.

Anyway, you have just enumerated many of the reasons I think I would appreciate living in Ohio.

I also appreciate what you wrote about living on the West Side near the lake. We've thought of doing just that, but part of my research will be investigating different neighborhoods/suburbs to make sure I would be comfortable with the types of people living there.

Also appreciate the info about taxes. Hard to believe a place could have worse taxes than Maryland but we'll look into it!
sport

Post by sport »

Local taxes in NE Ohio fall into two categories; income tax and real estate tax. Income taxes apply only to "earned income", and therefore will not be a concern when you are retired. The biggest component of real estate taxes are school taxes, and these vary considerably depending on the local school district involved. You should also be aware that school system boundaries are not the same as city boundaries. Some school districts encompass more than one community, and some communities are split among multiple school districts. Therefore, real estate taxes can be very dependent on neighborhoods. City and county real estate taxes are minor components of the total real estate tax.
Jeff
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Lakewood is a bit different then other suburbs, it might be what you're looking for. East Cleveland has big problems, I'd stay away. Shaker Hts, University Hts, Cleveland Hts are high property tax areas, if that matters.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

Rocky River and Bay Village might be good fits. Right on the lake and close to downtown. They are older and more established suburbs, and they're not in the snow belt.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

If you have a lot of retirement income from pensions and IRAs, you might want to consider Western PA instead that does not tax this at all
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Cleveland is on the upswing and I think if you did your research you could find a suburb that fits your criteria. I think Cleveland has an unfairly given bad reputation and is actually a hidden gem. It sounds like an unusual retirement destination, but is probably a very nice place to retire. :happy Good luck!
Last edited by GoldenFinch on Fri May 08, 2015 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
gouldnm

Post by gouldnm »

Thanks for all your advice, Everyone.

Here's a question: As an elderly person, I'm thinking that I might want to live in a high rise that is fully staffed. The kind of place where I wouldn't have to worry about maintenance, at least outdoors. I'd like a place that is reasonably upscale and in a good location. Any recommendations?
Topic Author
gouldnm

Post by gouldnm »

GoldenFinch wrote:I think Cleveland has an unfairly given bad reputation and is actually a hidden gem. It sounds like an unusual retirement destination, but is probably a very nice place to retire. :happy Good luck!
Thanks, GoldenFinch. That has been our impression as well--a "hidden gem", as you so aptly put it. My husband and I like to joke that at just about the time we retire, places like Cleveland are going to be flooded with returnees like ourselves: People who grew up in the Midwest and were forced to leave because of the economy. But, like you said, the city seems to be on the upswing. Eventually the word is going to get out about how much these places have to offer!

BTW, I've been to the West Side Market, and I agree it's a wonderful place! I haven't found anything like it in the greater-D.C. area (where I live now), and if there was a place like that in the greater NYC area (where I used to live), it was too inconvenient to be accessible. My problem with Megacities in general. Ugh!

I'm from an East European ethnic background, and I was delighted to see that people in Cleveland actually know what a poppyseed roll is (no, it's not a dinner roll). Every time I visit Cleveland I have to go to the West Side Market to get my poppyseed pastry fix!
snowman

Post by snowman »

My extended family lives in Cleveland. I visit with them every few years. I don't quite get the bad reputation - I enjoy my visits there, I think it's a nice place. Personally, I would never leave Colorado for Cleveland, but I think that for the right person it's a great place to retire. I wish you and you family good luck!
bogle2013

Post by bogle2013 »

As a native clevelander - this is a thread i thought i would never see as most of the people i grew up with have left cleveland long ago (including me). That being said - this could be the perfect contrarian move. One thing I would suggest is plan your trips in the winter and stay put in the summer.

Winters can be long and depressing - not seeing the sun for months is certainly not ideal. A memory of cleveland is the long winter- then you get decent weather tease in March where you might see the sun and play outside, then you wake up one morning in late march and April in a snowstorm that feels like a slap in the face.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

It seems a better bet than Amarillo/Armadillo, if that's any consolation. I'd probably opt for Columbus or even Akron, if only to avoid the vexed looks on people's faces when you tell them you've retired to Cleveland.
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

I am currently living in a suburb of Cleveland in southwest Cuyahoga County.

I would recommend against living in the city of Cleveland. Just go to http://www.cleveland.com and check how many people were killed today.

I would also recommend against living in Cuyahoga County. It has much higher property taxes than the surrounding counties, the highest sales tax in the state, and sin taxes that increase the price of tobacco and alcohol.

If you want a semi-rural lifestyle there are many locations available just outside of Cuyahoga County. There are many nice suburban areas in Lorain County (Avon), Medina County (Brunswick, Hinckley) and Summit County (Fairlawn).
leo383

Post by leo383 »

Have you looked at Columbus?

Many of the amenities that Cleveland has, but a lot better weather.

We have very good friends who have made Columbus their home, and I'm impressed by the city more every time we visit.
Topic Author
gouldnm

Post by gouldnm »

leo383 wrote:Have you looked at Columbus?

Many of the amenities that Cleveland has, but a lot better weather.

We have very good friends who have made Columbus their home, and I'm impressed by the city more every time we visit.
I went to grad school at OSU and lived in Columbus for two years. It's a great town. But Cleveland is closer to both of our families. There are a lot of other places I'd consider living if I had family there.
ohiost90

Post by ohiost90 »

KlingKlang wrote:I am currently living in a suburb of Cleveland in southwest Cuyahoga County.

I would recommend against living in the city of Cleveland. Just go to http://www.cleveland.com and check how many people were killed today.

I would also recommend against living in Cuyahoga County. It has much higher property taxes than the surrounding counties, the highest sales tax in the state, and sin taxes that increase the price of tobacco and alcohol.

If you want a semi-rural lifestyle there are many locations available just outside of Cuyahoga County. There are many nice suburban areas in Lorain County (Avon), Medina County (Brunswick, Hinckley) and Summit County (Fairlawn).
I'm in west Cuyahoga County and would also advise to look outside of the county due to property tax reasons. But they aren't much higher that I would avoid at all costs. While the cities Klingklang lists are very nice communities, I would think that they fail the "One thing I know that we would NOT like would be a homogenous, yuppee suburb." requirement that the OP lists.

from the OP

Since Im from the westside, most of my experience and recommendations would slanted to the westside

#2 "What parts of the city or close-in suburbs would we want to consider given that we'll be retired? "
For inner ring suburbs, before mentioned Lakewood(westside) and shaker hts (east side) stand out. The houses on and around Clifton blvd and lake road are full of charm. There also Condos if you want to go with less maintenance. Generally, the further west in Lakewood you go, the better.

If you want to live in the city, check out neighborhoods such as Tremont, west 25th/ohio city, Coventry village, and University Circle. There is also a resurgence of people living downtown. I don't know if I would recommend as I would like some green space and getting to downtown Cleveland for sports/arts/dining is relatively easy to get in and out of.

For something further out, Rocky River and Bay village was mentioned, and are certainly nice areas, but I think you would find them falling in the "yupee suburb category. Try looking at Berea, Omsted Falls(much of it "suburb" but charming "downtown", and Peninsula(mentioned before).

As far as a place to avoid, I think those are relatively easy to spot after spending some time in them.

Feel free to PM me if you would like.
SgtSlaughter

Post by SgtSlaughter »

I am a business traveler and I personally live in the Metro Detroit area. As a child I grew up in the Sandusky Ohio area.

My experiences with Cleveland are not positive. I have been working in Akron, Canton and East Cleveland for 8 plus years. I would not recommend retiring to the rust belt. Full Disclosure the Cleveland Clinic is one of my customers. I would also not recommend living in any part of Michigan or Cleveland Ohio. Very high crime, segregation due to deep poverty and declining populations. The Museums were built when Cleaveland was a leader of industry and steel/energy production. The Rock and Roll hall of fame is boring compared to the country music hall of fame. the rock and roll is 1/4 the size of the country and less nice.

You can find other places that meet your needs. all very progressive cities with tons of things to enjoy and are growing economically.

Madison Wisconsin - My top pick - city and country all in one. The farmers market is AMAZING best in the country.
Saint Paul Minnesota - Amazing city/people and things to do - very COLD weather in the winter
Lexington Kentucky - Very low taxes - inexpensive housing - Great weather - Southern Hospitality - Horses - everyone should check this place out.
Columbus Ohio - College town - the only city I would live in Ohio.
Nashville Tennessee - no income tax - cultural center of the south. very progressive. If you like music it is an amazing place to see.
Rochester/Buffalo New York - high taxes

The farther south you guys choose the warmer it will be in the winter. The harsh Midwest winters are great in your 60s not so much in your 70s and 80s.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Akron, Canton, East Cleveland are not representative of the many, many suburbs and other areas of the greater Cleveland area.

I wouldn't live in East Cleveland or many areas of Cleveland either. That said Tremont, Lakewood, and many, many suburbs both inside Cuyahoga County and outside are very nice, each with their own character, pluses and minuses.

It's an unfair generalization to expand the three cities you list to all of Great Cleveland. (Canton for sure isn't even part of Great Cleveland, Akron is debatable)
matjen

Post by matjen »

Cleveland? Have you thought of Amarillo, TX? ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=165185&newpost=2483397
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.