Freshly roasted coffee beans

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Freshly roasted coffee beans

Post by Barefootgirl »

Following up on the post about roasting coffee beans.

Sweet Maria's seems to never have any roasted beans in stock - I presume they go fast once available.

I prefer not to roast my own, for various reasons.

Can anyone recommend an *online* source for great, freshly roasted beans, other than Sweet Maria?

Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
smackboy1

Re: Freshly roasted coffee beans

Post by smackboy1 »

Barefootgirl wrote:Can anyone recommend an *online* source for great, freshly roasted beans, other than Sweet Maria?
Did someone say coffee?!?! :beer

There are a ton of great specialty coffee roasters. In no particular order, these are the ones I've tried and like so far:

Counter Culture
Klatch
Red Bird
Stumptown
Veltons
Metropolis
Intelligentsia
Vivace (espresso)
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Mmmm - coffee.

I like some of the above suggestions, but haven't tried them all.

I can add:

Gimme Coffee in Ithaca, NY
Artisan Tea & Coffee in Waterbury, Vt
srh12

Post by srh12 »

coffeekind.com

I have never ordered from the site but have been intrigued by some of their offerings, some of which I know to be good.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Barefootgirl wrote:Can anyone recommend an *online* source for great, freshly roasted beans, other than Sweet Maria?
There are a ton of options and coffee sites have lists and discussions on the matter. It would help if you could provide criteria to help narrow it down. What are you specifically looking for? What type of coffee/how are you brewing? What flavors are you looking for? Particular roasts?
nwrolla

Post by nwrolla »

Stumptown is extremely popular where I live.

I would also add : Dapper and Wise

Fantastic small batch roaster from Oregon.
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

I've never ordered coffee online, but there is a roaster near where I live that also sells online. Shipping seems expensive, but I don't know what's typical for coffee.

https://secure.beyondthenet.com/~moon// ... affiliate=
gasman

Post by gasman »

Green Nut

Post by Green Nut »

Redbird. Been buying for years, I've tried others including local roasters and always go back to Redbird. Shipped from MT to CT in 2-3 days.
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

This one, a Guatamalan coffee from the Redbird site, sounds exactly like the type of coffee I like:

This is a rich coffee, balanced, with good body and mild acidity. Chocolate flavors dominate the cup, with nuts, mild floral aromas (especially as the cup cools), brown sugar sweetness, a subtle citrus accent, and a wonderful long aftertaste.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Here is another source. Since I have to watch my acid level, I order my no acid coffee from here: http://www.LivingBeyondOrganic.com
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

How about for espresso beans?
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

I dunno if you have Peets in your grocery, but they label their product with the roasted date.
BarryZuckerkorn

Post by BarryZuckerkorn »

There are some good options here. I will add:

Blue Bottle
Heart Coffee Roasters
Madcap Coffee
The solution to all our problems is staring you in the face and it can't even see you!
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

www.coffeeam.com

They sell 5 pounds portion at very good price.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

sschullo wrote:Here is another source. Since I have to watch my acid level, I order my no acid coffee from here: http://www.LivingBeyondOrganic.com
sschullo,

You could reduce acid level of any coffee by cold brewing the coffee.

https://toddycafe.com/cold-brew/why-toddy-cold-brew

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Costco.
You can buy freshly roasted coffee, minutes after roasting.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

itstoomuch wrote:Costco.
itstoomuch,

They over-roasted their coffee. Hence, some of the beans are burned and leave bitter after-taste.

KlangFool
scotthal

Post by scotthal »

KlangFool wrote:
itstoomuch wrote:Costco.
itstoomuch,

They over-roasted their coffee. Hence, some of the beans are burned and leave bitter after-taste.

KlangFool
Worse than Char$$ ?
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

KlangFool wrote:http://www.coffeeam.com

They sell 5 pounds portion at very good price.

KlangFool
+1. Eagerly awaiting Friday delivery of my 5lb bags of coconut macaroon, rum + raisin, etc. Excellent service, personalized bags, free samples, free shipping, $5 coupon available thru online search.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

klangfool wrote:They over-roasted their coffee. Hence, some of the beans are burned and leave bitter after-taste.
I guess am not too choosy.
We use to run a small tree fruit farm and still have many fruit trees in our yard.
When you deal with "natural" products, every piece is different. Cherry picking is an adventure when you immediately consume the fruit, never to be repeated again.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

dhodson wrote:How about for espresso beans?
Many micro roasters do not consider "espresso" as a description of a type of bean or level of roast. Espresso is a method of brewing. Some roasters describe a really dark roast as "espresso" but ironically such a burnt dark roast usually doesn't taste very good when made as espresso (Starbucks anyone?). If a roaster doesn't list coffee for espresso, look for "year round" blends. Typically blends for espresso will be medium roast and a balance of a few different tastes, some designed to be drunk straight and others to be mixed with milk. Personally I find such year round blends taste great, and a little different, when brewed via pourover vs. espresso vs. French press. On the other hand I find single origin coffees are best via pourover, I don't like them as espresso. But that's just me, other coffee drinkers may disagree :sharebeer
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

These guys do a great job and it's local for me.

http://www.woodburlcoffee.com/
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

I got a hand-me-down espresso machine from a friend, and my wife and I have a cappuccino several times a week since. We haven't even gone through 1/4 pound of beans in almost 3 weeks. Since all I read about fresh roasted coffee is that it should be consumed within 7-10 days, I don't understand how folks buy 1lb or even 3 and 5 lb bags of beans. You must drink a LOT of coffee. To be fair though, espresso uses much less than drip or other methods.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

jasc15 wrote:I got a hand-me-down espresso machine from a friend, and my wife and I have a cappuccino several times a week since. We haven't even gone through 1/4 pound of beans in almost 3 weeks. Since all I read about fresh roasted coffee is that it should be consumed within 7-10 days, I don't understand how folks buy 1lb or even 3 and 5 lb bags of beans. You must drink a LOT of coffee. To be fair though, espresso uses much less than drip or other methods.
I go through about 1lb a week for espresso. I drink primarily Americano's made on my Quick Mill Vetrano 2b that I just got a few months ago from Chris Coffee. So far, I am finding that buying 5lbs of coffee at a time online is the most economical (Red Bird, Bodka, Nossa, etc.). I mail order in order to get the coffee within 3-days of roast date. Then I put into 1lb ziplock bags and throw them in the freezer.

Getting my espresso machine and grinder setup this year was not a Boglehead move, but I am certainly enjoying it!
bargainhuntingking

Post by bargainhuntingking »

So last week I visited friends in SF. They buy raw beans from Sweet Maria's and have a countertop roaster that's the size of a toaster oven. Talk about fresh roast coffee. It's easy to get crazy with coffee, burr grinders, test tube contraptions, timers, scales, aeropresses etc.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

heading to Seattle next week. Lots of Ethiopian/Eritrea emigrants with stores. I think I am going to buy a bag of green beans and some mrryrh.
Tkx. :happy
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

itstoomuch wrote:heading to Seattle next week. Lots of Ethiopian/Eritrea emigrants with stores. I think I am going to buy a bag of green beans and some mrryrh.
Tkx. :happy
Get a latte at Vivace. And, I would buy their roasted beans and call it a day. Yum.
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

jasc15 wrote:I don't understand how folks buy 1lb or even 3 and 5 lb bags of beans.
As Yatesd mentioned, just freeze the beans. IMHO coffee made with frozen beans taste identical to fresh roasted via espresso, pourover, and French press. So far I've kept beans 2-3 months without loss of quality. I like my coffee beans between 7 days to 14 days post roast. So I just freeze the beans at 6 days post. Then I just thaw out enough beans for a few days at a time as needed. I usually have 3 or more different coffees in my freezer and I just thaw whatever I feel liked drinking the day the before. I also keep frozen decaf beans for friends who want it.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

I'll crank to Vivace maybe next month. Not this trip when I'll have my 95yo dad visiting his grandson. But I am taking my bike for an San Juan bike outing with DW and DS in June.

Really surprised to discover that Starbucks is the cheap house in Seattle.