Is there a good IPOD alternative?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Yes I have checked Amazon but value your opinion.
pa7VQbb1kTkj1eLn3spK

Re: Is there a good IPOD alternative?

Post by pa7VQbb1kTkj1eLn3spK »

It depends on your wants and desires. Do you want to listen to just mp3 files or do you want to listen to FLACs, WAVs, or watch videos, too? You'll need to provide more info to get better feedback.
lack_ey

Post by lack_ey »

Sure, but it's hard to say what is appropriate without knowing which functionality of the iPod you were interested in. All of the features overlap with the iPhone line and everything not iOS or Apple specific with smartphones in general. For example, if you're looking for iTunes / Mac integration, just going with the Apple product may be worth it.

New iPod models haven't really been released in years, but there were multiple styles over the year, including the Classic, Nano, Shuffle, and Touch, with different form factors and feature sets. If all you want is music playback via an audio output jack, a player that is more similar to the Touch and a smartphone form factor with a large display may be more expensive and larger than necessary.

So what do you need from it, what will you use it for, what form factor do you want, how much storage space do you need, and what price point would you prefer or are willing to entertain? As noted above, if you are looking for audio playback and need support for certain formats, that's potentially a consideration too.
lillypie

Post by lillypie »

Sansa Clip for simple MP3, playlists. It is very small, so great for working out.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/music- ... p3-player/
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I came very close to buying the new sony walkman. It is getting very good reviews and can play the high-end audio files. Also you can use an sd card, making the device able to carry much more music. It doesn't have the versatility of an ipod touch (ie, no apps, internet surfing, etc).
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-NWZA ... ds=walkman
It is actually cheaper than the 64gb touch. (298 vs 309). Samsung came out with an android device to compete with the touch, but it flopped so they are not really available. I also read that while it was a flop, many people actually loved the microsoft Zune.
I was going to replace my wifes touch so I did a fair amount of research recently. She decided she did not want to change as she is used to the touch, so I wound up not actually buying one. .
Perhaps one way to go is to just get an older android phone with an sd slot and use that. Would be a lot cheaper.
If you get away from the touch, you will need a new music manager. I switched over from using Itunes to Media Monkey and so far am liking it pretty well.
If you are looking for something cheaper, the Fiio X1 for about a hundred bucks looks like a good deal.
http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-X1-Champagne ... ds=fiio+x1

Mike
cjking

Post by cjking »

I get the feeling there is an unspecified requirement we need to know: why would you want something that's the same as an ipod without actually being one?

For example, if the answer is cost, then the solution would be to get a used ipod off ebay. I've had one in my car that was bought used in 2005 and will likely be doing its job perfectly for another ten years. (The car I've just bought also takes a memory card, but the ipod interface is better, for example it gives access to ipod dynamic playlists.)
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Well I would like to use it for mostly audiobooks and music.

Audiobooks come in different formats, I believe.
Last edited by CountryBoy on Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
joebh

Post by joebh »

Do you have a smartphone? Most play music and audiobooks.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

I have an early clam shell Verizon cell phone. My need for a smartphone is little or nothing.

I am a 74 yo minimal user of cell phone technology.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

There are likely more old, used, second hand iPhones out there than iPods. An iPhone is basically an iPod touch with cellular but the cellular option does not need to be used or activated. Should be able to pick up an old iPhone for cheap. For that matter any android device can also play music though the nice thing about Apple itunes is it displays album art better IMO. I have a Barnes and Noble Nook and album art is hit and miss, and it shows up in pictures because it is jpg. Many android devices have a slot for a camera card, usually micro SD. This is a good option to have if all your music won't fit on the space available on the device.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

I picked up a used one a couple gens from the most recent from GameStop. You can order one online.

Ebay might be cheaper, but I figured the GameStop has a local store in case it was a lemon or something.

Since my kids use iPod/iPhone we have iTunes on the family computer so easier to just go iPod.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

CountryBoy wrote:Well I would like to use it for mostly audiobooks and music.

Do you want to borrow audiobooks from the library? smartphones and iPhones, iPod Touch that have wifi connections can use the overdrive app to borrow and download audiobooks from your library. This way you do not have import 20 CDs into your computer to get them on to your player.

A wifi enabled device would also make it very convenient to get audiobooks, podcasts or even music. If you do not want an Apple iPod Touch, search for iPod Touch alternatives. If you're willing to get an iPod Touch, you can get a refurbished one from Apple at a reduced price. Referred iPod Touch 32GB fifth generation is 199 vs $249 new.

Link to apple refurbished iPod: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod

edit: what kind of cell phone do you have? If you have a smartphone It may have these capabilities.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

The OP (CountryBoy) already answered that he had a early Verizon clam shell phone with little need for a smart phone.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
dbr

Post by dbr »

SpringMan wrote:The OP (CountryBoy) already answered that he had a early Verizon clam shell phone with little need for a smart phone.
There is a lot to be said for a very small, cheap (in case of lost or damaged), long battery lifed, simple device.

I have all kinds of electronics and still use this all the time:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NWZE385-Walk ... ds=walkman

There are lots of other choices.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

MP3 players are a commodity. When I was working we used to give them away at employee meetings. I think paid $.50 a piece for them in bulk -- and that was 2006. They are probably cheaper now.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
jonbois

Post by jonbois »

Try a Nokia 635 and shut off the cellular data. I use it for a pay per minute phone and an Ipod type functions..
NorthDakota

Post by NorthDakota »

MP3's are on their way out. Spotify and other streaming services are the future. Frustrating for those of us with huge MP3 libraries I know.
dbr

Post by dbr »

NorthDakota wrote:MP3's are on their way out. Spotify and other streaming services are the future. Frustrating for those of us with huge MP3 libraries I know.
Good music is good music. I maintain and play a large collection of vinyl still.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

CountryBoy wrote:Well I would like to use it for mostly audiobooks and music.

You would be able to listen to audiobooks on an iPod touch, as well as music; you could likely even read eBooks on the touch. My library lets me use the Overdrive app as mentioned above to download all of these on my iPad which is basically a big screen version of a touch.

You could also use a Fire HD for this if the somewhat larger size is not an issue (could be a benefit).

p.s. I also have a Touch that I bought from my 16 year old when he got an iPhone - I use it mostly just for music but it is quite a capable little device...
Last edited by Kenkat on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbr

Post by dbr »

The usual thing to do in such cases is have a list of what is needed, verify that capability exists, and otherwise buy the cheapest but acceptable quality device on offer.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Another vote for the Sansa Clip. It handles all the common audio formats, and if you need more space you can add a microSD card.
joebh

Post by joebh »

CountryBoy wrote:Is there a good IPOD alternative?

Yes I have checked Amazon but value your opinion.
To recommend a viable alternative, tell us what attributes about a real iPod you don't like. Why not just get an iPod?
- you want something cheaper?
- an iPod is too small?
- an iPod is too complicated?
- you dislike Apple?
- you want something that doesn't need to be connected to a computer?
- etc?
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

joebh » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:25 pm
That message of yours was far and away the most embarassing message I have ever gotten. It forces me to avoid nothing. So here goes:

To recommend a viable alternative, tell us what attributes about a real iPod you don't like. Why not just get an iPod?
- you want something cheaper?
......................not necessarily.
- an iPod is too small? ...............................well, I prefer a CD player size something.
- an iPod is too complicated? ......................Probably yes.
- you dislike Apple? ..................................No, I like simple but Apple ipods of my wife are too confusing with lights going off and on, etc.

And what I really dislike is that the audiobook or music has to be
1)downloaded
2)then put into itunes
3)then put on the iPod.
That seems time consuming when a simple CD audiobook could just be played. What don't I understand.

- you want something that doesn't need to be connected to a computer?.......................
Well, I spend a lot of time on computers now doing simple internet and MS Office work and find it no problem.

I am sure everyone says I am resisting Progress but the time consuming steps for an iPod don't look like Progress for me. Also at 73 y.o. I don't need more than the simple clam shell cell phone I own; I don't want the cost of a smart phone.

etc? ..........You want etc? Here is etc...I really find iPods small and slippery; I realize I am the Only person in the world that does but it is what it is.

I am of the opinion I have to wait 5 yrs. for another generation of technology to come around before I see Progress the way the world does. I certainly hope Progress comes sooner than later since I ain't got that many years left......

Let me just say for the record that I believe you are truly Brilliant. You asked the important questions that allowed me no leeway to dither or obfuscate. It was a brilliant example of how best to take apart a problem.

And I am grateful.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Audiobook CDs or music CDs have to be imported into a computer first before they can be put on any player.

If you do not want to import loads of audiobook CDs into your computer, consider a wifi enabled player like iPod Touch or an android alternative, that will allow you to borrow digital audiobooks from your public library using the Overdrive app and download directly to your player. You will have 14-21 days to listen to it and then the content will expire and be automatically deleted from your player without fear of late fees to your library. You must have WiFi at home to use such a device though. Once the content is on the device, you do not need internet connection to listen which means you can take the device for a walk in the park or in your car for road trips. Most of these modern devices will be small and may be challenging to read. I'm 50 and I have to squint to read my iPhone sometimes.

If you just want to play CDs, I'd look for a portable CD player. This will work with any music CD and audiobook CDs that you buy or borrow and there will be no need to import anything. Amazon has portable CDs players for $20.

Some CD players will playback MP3 files so if you have already imported a bunch of your music CDs into your computer, you can burn them onto a blank CD and probably get 100-150 songs on one CD.
Wiki
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Well I have a CD player and love the audiobooks I can play on it.

Does anyone know if the Sansa Clip models can play anything other than MP3? Not all audiobooks are MP3.
black jack

Post by black jack »

From the Sansa Clip website:
The Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player is compatible with a wide variety of formats, including MP3, WMA, secure WMA, and Audible. It even lets you enjoy high-fidelity formats, such FLAC and Ogg Vorbis, without needing to compress and convert your files.
My wife uses a Sansa Clip+ to listen to audiobooks, music, and FM radio; I use a Sansa Clip Zip for the same. I have an SD card in mine for additional storage. We enjoy them, and they are cheap enough (around $40 for the 4 GB model) to be almost disposable, though ours have lasted several years. Battery life is typically around 8 hours.

The Zip has a slightly larger screen, but the screens on both are small; the Clip+ turns on in an instant, while the ZIp requires a few seconds to get going.

But they're on the small side, about the size of a small matchbox. One advantage of that is they're very light, but you might like something larger.

We gave my 78-year-old mother-in-law a Sansa Fuze (Sansa has replaced this with the Fuze+) to listen to audiobooks, and she has enjoyed it; it's a bit larger than the Clip.

Most of the audiobooks we listen to are borrowed from our library. This involves two steps: download the book to our computer, then transfer the book to the Clip. Even my wife, who has little patience with computers, finds this no big deal.

I see that Amazon is selling its Fire Phone for $189; that could be used for listening to audiobooks and music, and would be simpler to download audiobooks and music (from Amazon) onto.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

You might try Amazon's 6" tablet: Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC6I06S/re ... mvb155NCPH
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

black jack » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:16 pm

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply. I checked out the reviews and it looks really good.