Planning Washington DC Sightseeing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
goru1

Planning Washington DC Sightseeing

Post by goru1 »

In April
2 Children
4 Nights

Hotel:
20 miles from Union Station

Tour:
Old Town Trolley Tours
http://www.trolleytours.com/washington- ... ations.asp

Please comment

Thanks.
SmileyFace

Re: Planning Washington DC Sightseeing

Post by SmileyFace »

It depends on whether or not you have a car and what your children's interests are.
If you have a car - if you like zoo's - the National Zoo is one of the best.
If you have a car - head out to the National Air and Space museum near Dulles airport to see the Space Shuttle, etc.
If you don't have a car - lots of options in DC:
- National Mall: War Memorials, Lincoln Memorial
- Tour of the Capital; Tour of the Whitehouse (need to book in advance through congressman)
- Smithsonian (pick those of interest): Air&Space, American-History, Naturall-History, Amercian-Indian, etc.
- National Art Gallery (if you like art), National Portrait Gallery,
- Newseum is good if your kids appreciate journalism/world-events
- Spy musuem is fun if you think your kids might appreciate.

Plenty to fill up your 4 days.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Holocaust Museum
National Archives
Gordon
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

20 miles from the Union Station is a HUGE distance. You won't be driving these 20 miles at highway speeds. You will be sitting in traffic envious of pedestrians moving three times faster than you.

If you are interested in seeing DC, stay in DC. By the way, the peak bloom of the Cherry Trees is predicted for 11-14 April 2015.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
goru1

Post by goru1 »

If you are interested in seeing DC, stay in DC
Hotels in DC are expensive.

Hotels.com:
$369 nightly price
Hyatt Regency Washington DC
400 New Jersey Ave NW Washington, DC, 20001
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Previous thread on trip possibilities with kids including Washington DC:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=152610
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

goru1 wrote:

Hotels.com:
$369 nightly price
Washington Hostel:
$29-$49 - dorm rooms
$89-$119 - private rooms

The hostel is centrally located. The price includes a complimentary continental breakfast.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
vv19

Post by vv19 »

After you are done sight seeing, make sure you eat at least one lunch or dinner here:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/amsterdam-falaf ... shington-4

You can thank me later. ;-)
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I like to stay in Alexandria and take public transportation in.....

With respect to visiting the National Zoo, I do have one tip. The zoo states hours that are 10 a.m (or something like that), but what you can do is go earlier, see all the outside exhibits (also, when the animals are more active on average) before "opening" and then work your way up the hill and see the indoor exhibits at the zoo when the park "opens".

For a better tour of the capital - also contact your congressman for a behind the scenes tour.

Finally, if you have a car and want to get out of DC for a day, you always can take a trip out to Mount Vernon.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Driving in DC is a nightmare if you aren't familiar with the city. Also parking is very expensive. Highly recommend taking public transit. If you are staying in a hotel 20 miles away, ask if the hotel has a free shuttle that will drop you at the nearest Metro station. But seriously consider looking for bargain deals (e.g., Victoria's suggestion) that enable you to stay downtown and car-free and carefree. DC is a very pedestrian friendly city and staying downtown allows you to spend more time sightseeing and less time traveling.
scotthew

Post by scotthew »

Ok..it's been said before, but I'll try to drill it in. I live about 20 miles from DC, and I rarely drive in. DC has horribly slow and unpredictable traffic patterns, and on top of that is rigged with speeding and red light cameras. You have a good chance of getting nailed with a few robo-speeding fines - the system is clearly rigged to make DC money. Many locations exist where the speed limits don't necessarily make sense.

Other than that, DC is a great city and spring the best time to visit. Enjoy your stay and the cherry blossoms, which are fortunately for you are blooming late this year!
denovo

Post by denovo »

DaftInvestor wrote:It depends on whether or not you have a car and what your children's interests are.

The National Zoo is only a 9 minute walk from a subway stop. No car needed.

http://goo.gl/maps/Pw1w6
Last edited by denovo on Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
denovo

Post by denovo »

OP, maybe it's too late if you've already booked a hotel, but 20 miles is way too far away. You can find hotels that are decently priced in Arlington or Alexandria which is technically not D.C. but much closer and is linked in to the metro system.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Regarding driving in/parking which some are opposed to:
I've driven into the DC on a few different vacations - its do-able in my opinion. I've also driven into Boston and NYC on a few occasions which are less do-able in my opinion (and parking far more expensive). I've also done San Francisco, Chicago and LA with a car. DC is easier than ANY of these other cities from my experience. I guess it is all relative to what you are used to.....in my opinion - driving into DC isn't a big deal - don't drive during rush hours and count on paying for parking in a garage (or circling the mall for 20 minutes awaiting a spot after dropping the family off somewhere nearby). Parking is expensive but on par with other cities. Also - the streets are laid out nicely and driving is fairly easy (you don't have the crazy's cutting you off like in Boston). You do need to stay under the speed limit or you will be greeted (as I was once) when you return home with a $100 speeding ticket along with a nice picture of the back of your car.

Also - if you do decide to stay in DC you will still be paying for parking at your hotel (in addition to the more expensive hotel cost) unless you aren't arriving by car.

Another suggestion: Since you are outside DC - if you get museum'd-out after a couple of days you could also go to Old Town Alexandria - the Torpedo Factory is kind of nice for kids in that they can see artists in action - and it is a very enjoyable area to walk around, get lunch, etc. Georgetown can also be a nice break from the museums if the wife/kids want to shop and great spots for lunch or dinner. They also used to have a canal-boat-ride pulled by mules - not sure if that is still in operation.
Last edited by SmileyFace on Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
goru1

Post by goru1 »

Hotel search:
hotels.com
$134
Sheraton Reston Hotel
11810 Sunrise Valley Dr Reston VA 20191
1.4 miles to Silver line station Wiehle-Reston East
7.1 miles to National Air and Space museum near Dulles airport
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> Hotels in DC are expensive.

Usually yes, occasionally no. Weekends and especially times when Congress is on vacation can offer real bargains, even in the city. (Apart from the parking charge that is).

Consider using the metro to get in from a cheaper hotel, look for where the hotel is in relation to a metro stop. The metro is very nice, not at all a NYC subway experience.

A great deal of DC around the mall is walkable (for adults, anyway). DC can be hot and very humid though. The museums are mostly free, my favorites are: Sackler; Hirshnorn; Smithsonian History, and Air and Space. Only the last two for kids.

Note there are two Air and Space museums, one well out of the city.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

We went to DC a couple years ago and stayed 20 miles west. Stayed at a residence inn with our 2 kids. Bought a week metro pass. 10 minute drive to the metro station and easy train ride in. On Saturday and sunday, drive in and park anywhere free to see the mall and monuments. Free breakfast and nightly special that was free. Big room, pool and walking distance to restaurants and a mall.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

When we go to DC with kids we stay here

https://www.hotel-harrington.com/

You are right in the thick of things--can walk to Ford's Theater, Smithsonians, Washington Monument. With a refrigerator in room, we ate breakfast in shifts while others were in the bathroom. Smaller older rooms they no longer compete for business travelers.

One of my favorite things in DC: Lunch at the Museum of the American Indian.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Naismith wrote:When we go to DC with kids we stay here

https://www.hotel-harrington.com/
This is a really reasonably priced hotel. I have to remember it. Thanks!
Naismith wrote: One of my favorite things in DC: Lunch at the Museum of the American Indian.
I second this recommendation.

Victoria
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

goru1 wrote:Hotel search:
hotels.com
$134
Sheraton Reston Hotel
That's a 40+ minute metro ride into the city, just so you know. That may or may not be an issue for you.
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

DaftInvestor wrote:It depends on whether or not you have a car and what your children's interests are.
If you have a car - head out to the National Air and Space museum near Dulles airport to see the Space Shuttle, etc.
If you don't have a car - lots of options in DC:
- National Mall: War Memorials, Lincoln Memorial
- Tour of the Capital; Tour of the Whitehouse (need to book in advance through congressman)
- Smithsonian (pick those of interest): Air&Space, American-History, Naturall-History, Amercian-Indian, etc.
- National Art Gallery (if you like art), National Portrait Gallery,
- Newseum is good if your kids appreciate journalism/world-events
- Spy musuem is fun if you think your kids might appreciate.

Plenty to fill up your 4 days.
Just to add- most are free :)- double check on website
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

VictoriaF wrote:
Naismith wrote: One of my favorite things in DC: Lunch at the Museum of the American Indian.

Victoria
I got curious about why this particular recommendation and after a bit of search, I am definitely intrigued. Will give it a try next time I am in town.

http://nmai.si.edu/visit/washington/mitsitam-cafe/
AviN

Post by AviN »

Washington DC can make a great low-budget trip.

Consider getting an affordable place on Airbnb closer to the National Mall. You can get a whole apartment for a reasonable price.

I'd recommend watching the Supreme Court and Congress in session. Of course that depends on the age of your children and how you interested you and your children might be in such things.

To get gallery passes to see Congress in session, just walk into your House Rep or Senator's office and ask. I was able to pickup gallery passes easily at one of my Senator's offices.

To see the Supreme Court in session, just show up some time before 9:30am on a day when the court has a session scheduled:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/faq_visiting.aspx
http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_argume ... ndars.aspx

Nearly all the museums are free and most are near each other on the National Mall. I was very happy to see honeypot ants and leafcutter ants at the Natural History museum.

Traveling around to see the monuments are fun. The Jefferson memorial is particularly nice.

Capitol Bikeshare is a good way to get around the National Mall, though the requirement to redock them every 30 minutes is inconvenient. It's also inconvenient that the bicycles are not permitted on monuments.

Avi
AviN

Post by AviN »

goru1 wrote:

Hotels.com:
$369 nightly price
Airbnb is the way to go. You can get a whole apartment. I got a private studio apartment 10 minute walk from Union Station last summer, I think for $130 per night. You'll probably need something bigger for your kids but it should be affordable.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

dodecahedron wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I got curious about why this particular recommendation and after a bit of search, I am definitely intrigued. Will give it a try next time I am in town.

http://nmai.si.edu/visit/washington/mitsitam-cafe/
We had lunch there one day as well - Agreed - nice place. If things haven't changed: There is also a nice place for lunch in an outdoor pavilion right next to the National Art Gallery (across the mall from Hirshorn) although it gets crowded. Next to the Spy Museum (and Near Portrait Gallery) there is a Gordon Bierch - great Garlic-Fries and a nice refreshing beer for dad. I remember my kids got frustrated the first time we went as we tried to wing finding lunch when unplanned with the long walks across the Mall so be sure to have some thoughts for where you will be and what is around come lunch time. There used to be a cafeteria style place in the Smithsonian Castle that was okay - not sure if it is still there. There is also the Regan Center with a food court. I have fond memories of taking my kids there a few times.....This thread is making me want to plan another trip back....
dm200

Post by dm200 »

mak1277 wrote:
goru1 wrote:Hotel search:
hotels.com
$134
Sheraton Reston Hotel
That's a 40+ minute metro ride into the city, just so you know. That may or may not be an issue for you.
The Metro Silver Line makes (parts of) Reston accessible by public transportation - it just takes a while.

Contact your Congressman or Senator and ask about getting White House tours. Not sure what they can or cannot do these days.

Definitely try to go to the National Zoo.

While on Metrorail - go on the Yellow Line over the Potomac River (bridge) and see the views of the planes landing at Reagan National Airport, the river, etc. The Silver Line goes under the river. If you are on Metrorail anyway - it doesn't cost extra to go anywhere in the rail system. You are charged (depending on time of day, day of week) from where you get on to where you get off.

If you are a Major League Baseball fan, consider seeing the Nationals (ballpark right on Green Line). http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was ... ntable.jsp They are at home April 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

The Smithsonian would be my recommendation. I have been there many many times and still am very impressed whenever I go back!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

With respect to the Supreme Court, if in session, see what cases are being presented that day. In certain instances, the time to "get in line" starts pretty early.

Besides the Topedo factory in Alexandria, there is also a walking tour you can take to visit certain historic homes/shops. Reasonably priced, but depends on children's interest.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Rocky Mountain

Post by Rocky Mountain »

I just got back from tagging along with my kid's 8th grade trip to DC (and NYC). This is what we did, and what we didn't and why.

Smithsonian - You can spend your entire trip doing this if you want. We did the Air & Space Museum out by Dulles. It has the Space Shuttle and Enola Gay. A must see if you're an aviation nut, and still pretty neat if you're not.
Memorials - We did Korean War, Lincoln, Vietnam War, WWII, MLK and Jefferson. All within walking distance and great photo-ops.
Holocaust museum - Very well done, need more than the one hour we had.
Capital Tour - Seemed like a must see, but just OK
Library of Congress - Definitely worth stopping in for a few pictures. The most decorated public building in DC.
Mount Vernon - I can see why GW liked it there.
Alexandria - Very old port city, we took some evening ghost tours.
White House - Pictures from Pennsylvania Ave, chat with the protestors
Embassy row - Fun with flags
Arlington National Cemetary - Changing of the guard at tomb of the unknown, JFK's eternal flame

Didn't do:
Washington Monument - Your best views a from afar
Archives - Long lines, and you can't take pictures
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

If you are into spying, go to the Spy Museum and on Spy Walking Tours. I recently attended a 4-lecture series "Fifty Shades of Espionage" about spies (mostly Russians) who used their sexual prowess to do business. The lectures were excellent and I will attend more when I have time. The next few lectures are:
- Sensors Everywhere: Satellites and Mobile Technology for Documenting Human Rights Abuses, Monday, April 13, 2015, 6:30 pm, $10.
- Global Terrorism, Espionage and Cybersecurity Monthly Update, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 12:00 pm. Free.
- Meet A Spy - Robert Wallace: The Real Life Q, Friday, April 17, 2015, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm, Free.

The heading for the Walking Tours is wrong. It says "FALL 2015 SCHEDULE" but when you look at the dates, they are all for the Spring.

If you insist on having a car, you may as well drive to Ft Meade to see NSA's National Cryptographic Museum.

Victoria
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

VictoriaF wrote:If you are into spying, go to the Spy Museum and on Spy Walking Tours. I recently attended a 4-lecture series "Fifty Shades of Espionage" about spies (mostly Russians) who used their sexual prowess to do business. The lectures were excellent and I will attend more when I have time. The next few lectures are:
- Sensors Everywhere: Satellites and Mobile Technology for Documenting Human Rights Abuses, Monday, April 13, 2015, 6:30 pm, $10.
- Global Terrorism, Espionage and Cybersecurity Monthly Update, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 12:00 pm. Free.
- Meet A Spy - Robert Wallace: The Real Life Q, Friday, April 17, 2015, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm, Free.

The heading for the Walking Tours is wrong. It says "FALL 2015 SCHEDULE" but when you look at the dates, they are all for the Spring.

If you insist on having a car, you may as well drive to Ft Meade to see NSA's National Cryptographic Museum.

Victoria
Neat tip!
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

If you're willing to stay outside of DC my recommendation is Bethesda or Rockville. Look at places that are on the Red Line. As noted above DC traffic is horrible. Also, the District is very good at ticketing, booting and towing cars. Too good.

If you rent a car I highly recommended a visit to the Air and Space Museum branch located near Dulles Airport (a 40 minute drive from Rockville): http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/ This facility is comprised of two large hangers in which are displayed a wide variety of aviation, among them: the Concord, a spy plane (roped off) and a space shuttle.Tours are offered by volunteers who usually have had aviation related careers. These guides offer interesting and novel perspectives.

There is no entry fee but a reasonable charge for parking.
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

I've lived around DC since 1956

Housing suggestions
Silver spring (on the red line) has the cheapest Maryland combination of suitable hotels and good metro access (red line)
I've put up guests and colleagues at most of the SS hotels. Courtyard by Marriott was very nice

Bethesda hotels are fine but pricier. If you are driving and not using the metro the Pooks hill marriott has the best deals.

I did not see how old the kids are. That makes a huge difference
Last edited by Professor Emeritus on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photoshoppedunicorn

Post by photoshoppedunicorn »

If you decide to go to one of the museums with a fee, check out Goldstar, they always have discounted tickets to the Newseum and the Spy Museum: http://www.goldstar.com/washington-dc (Although honestly I have no idea what those museums normally cost, but I've bought discounted theater tickets from them before and did save money.) We have so many excellent free museums though. I'm always shocked when we go to another city and have to pay to get in.

Speaking as a former local child, the Air and Space Museum is THE BEST followed by the Natural History Museum. As a child I hated the American History Museum. If you're going to go anyway, which you should, because I'm sure it's great as an adult, just remember that children aren't old enough to have overwhelming nostalgia for Archie Bunker's chair (or Kevin's jacket from the Wonder Years, or whatever your favorite thing is going to be.) I have serious field trip PTSD caused by that chair and haven't been back for 25 years.

If you go to the National Zoo, get off at Cleveland Park to walk downhill to the zoo. When you leave, walk downhill to Woodley Park. They are the same distance away, but going downhill instead of uphill saves you energy for later.

I see people are mentioning the cafeteria at the American Indian Museum. The food is good, but I find it scandalously expensive considering it's a cafeteria. So if you go just be prepared to hold back some tears of shock and pain when you pay. The same goes for all of the museums though. Best to bring some portable snacks and drinks. As someone said, it can be a long walk to find an outside place to eat. But remember, eating and drinking is prohibited on the Metro. This either happened 30 years ago or is just an urban legend, but I've always heard a story about a pregnant woman eating a banana on the escalator getting arrested by the Transit Police.

If you're going to drive to a Metro station and park, you can look up the parking situation at each station here: http://www.wmata.com/rail/stations.cfm Just click on the station name. Lots of station parking garages have a floor of reserved parking spaces that are open to the public starting at 10am. I think the unlimited passes aren't good until 9:30 anyway.

Our rush hour goes from something like 6:00-9:30 and 3:00-7:00. The roads will be horrendous and the trains will be packed. No one here is exaggerating. Don't be that family wandering around Metro Center at 5:30 looking surprised. Since you let us know in advance that you are coming, we've had them shut down most of the escalators and elevators in every station in advance of your arrival. You're welcome!
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

Good advice being presented, as usual.

Without sounding too un-American, is there anyone else out there besides me who found the Smithsonian to be a little underwhelming? I found myself asking... where's all the "stuff"? It seemed a massive complex of sparsely-filled buildings that was not easy to navigate (especially on a very hot day with kids, at least they are air conditioned).

I'm not saying I don't recommend it. Maybe we just didn't tour the right exhibits or were there at the wrong time. Does anyone have advice to the OP on how to get the most out of the "Smithsonian day" on their vacation?

(PSUnicorn who just posted before me is the closest I've seen to advice on how to do the museums well, and I agree with the zoo visit and logistics)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

photoshoppedunicorn wrote:I see people are mentioning the cafeteria at the American Indian Museum. The food is good, but I find it scandalously expensive considering it's a cafeteria. So if you go just be prepared to hold back some tears of shock and pain when you pay. The same goes for all of the museums though. Best to bring some portable snacks and drinks. As someone said, it can be a long walk to find an outside place to eat..

My favorite place near the National Mall is Teaism on D St and 8 St NW. I once saw Gwen Ifill there. One can also walk to Chinatown which is a bit farther: along H and I Streets between 5th and 8th Streets NW.
photoshoppedunicorn wrote:But remember, eating and drinking is prohibited on the Metro. This either happened 30 years ago or is just an urban legend, but I've always heard a story about a pregnant woman eating a banana on the escalator getting arrested by the Transit Police.
When you ride escalators always stand on the right, walk on the left. Washingtonians get annoyed by those standing on the left.

Victoria
edge

Post by edge »

Be aware that he dinosaur hall is closing for a massive 5 year renovation in April.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Rides:
Great Falls Canal Boat Rides
National Park Service wrote:Great Falls Mule Drawn Boat Rides

Take a trip back in time to the 1870's! Ride along the historic C&O Canal in a boat pulled by mules. Experience rising 8 feet in a lock. Hear park rangers in period clothing describe what life was like for the families that lived and worked on the canal. Enjoy life at a slower pace.

$8.00 for adults (ages 16-61), $6.00 for seniors (ages 62 +), and $5.00 for children (ages 4-15).

Public Boat Rides - 2015 Spring Season starts on April 4, 2015

Saturday & Sunday - 11:00am, 1:30pm, 3:00pm
Views:
Washington Monument.
(Old Post Office Tower provides alternative views, but it's currently closed for renovations.)
Washington National Cathedral.

Historic estates:
Dumbarton Oaks
and
Hillwood Museum and Gardens

Victoria
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Definitely plan on Ford's Theater (10th & F Sts NW)

This April marks the 150 year commemoration, they have special exhibits and programming going on thru May 25. Don't know how old the kids are, but if too young for this experience, would recommend utilizing the hotel babysitting service for a few hours so you and spouse won't miss it.
Topic Author
goru1

Post by goru1 »

The 2 Children are in range 4 years to 12 years.

Plan:
* Hotel: Near silver line station Wiehle-Reston East, 1862 Wiehle Avenue Reston VA 20190, hotwire.com, Pool, 3 star
* Day 1: Drive to hotel
* Day 2: ~ 7 miles, Drive, National Air and Space museum near Dulles airport
* Day 3: ~ 2 miles, Hotel shuttle or Cab, Silver line station Wiehle-Reston East, 1 hour to Union station, Old Town Trolley Tour (http://www.trolleytours.com/washington-dc/), White House, Museums, etc.
* Day 4: ~ 9 miles, National Zoo, Drive or Train
* Day 5: Drive home
dm200

Post by dm200 »

goru1 wrote:The 2 Children are in range 4 years to 12 years.

Plan:
* Hotel: Near silver line station Wiehle-Reston East, 1862 Wiehle Avenue Reston VA 20190, hotwire.com, Pool, 3 star
* Day 1: Drive to hotel
* Day 2: ~ 7 miles, Drive, National Air and Space museum near Dulles airport
* Day 3: ~ 2 miles, Hotel shuttle or Cab, Silver line station Wiehle-Reston East, 1 hour to Union station, Old Town Trolley Tour (http://www.trolleytours.com/washington-dc/), White House, Museums, etc.
* Day 4: ~ 9 miles, National Zoo, Drive or Train
* Day 5: Drive home
While I generally do not suggest driving in Washington, DC - if you plan to spend the whole day (and with 4 people) at the Zoo - then it may make sense to drive there and back. I also think taking the Silver Line Metrorail to and from Union station makes sense as well.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The only comment I have to make is: what a liberating experience it is to have a big old bunch of museums (the Smithsonian's museums) that have free admission. That means you can take the kids into one of the museums for just an hour or even a half hour... get a peek at the National Portrait Gallery without feeling that you have to spend the whole day there to justify a big admission fee.

OK, a second comment. The rotunda at the National Archives where they have the originals of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution... sends chills up and down my spine. I wouldn't miss it. Not everyone would agree. Yeah, it's just your old-style museum exhibit, pieces of paper under glass. (Very special glass).

OK, a third. I loved seeing Julia Child's kitchen.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
joebh

Post by joebh »

Lunch at the Mitsitam Cafe in the National Museum of the American Indian.

Was recommended by a cab driver during my last visit. I was not disappointed.
rick0

Post by rick0 »

skepticalobserver wrote:If you're willing to stay outside of DC my recommendation is Bethesda or Rockville. Look at places that are on the Red Line. As noted above DC traffic is horrible. Also, the District is very good at ticketing, booting and towing cars. Too good.
+1 for the Transit idea. I did this with my family many years ago.
DC Metro is clean and well run (or was at that time!)
We stayed near Rockville - I believe it was actually Shady Grove.
Lots of reasonably priced eating and sleeping options within a few blocks walk.

There was a convenient "all day" Metro pass. This was much easier than managing
a car/parking - assuming what attractions you want to visit are near Metro or walking.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Naismith wrote:One of my favorite things in DC: Lunch at the Museum of the American Indian.
But isn't that just a MacDonald's?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

livesoft wrote:
Naismith wrote:One of my favorite things in DC: Lunch at the Museum of the American Indian.
The cafe at the Museum of the American Indian has traditional dishes from all over the Americas. I often eat there when I am in the area at lunchtime (at that museum or one of the others nearby).

You may be thinking of the McDonalds at the Udvar-Hazy Center (the Air and Space Museum branch near Dulles Airport), or the Air and Space Museum on the National Mall, which also has just a fast-food court.
Wiki David Grabiner
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

livesoft wrote:
Take a look:

http://www.mitsitamcafe.com/content/menus.asp
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

Victoria thank you for your suggestions; I live in the area and didn't know about some of them! The canal ride sounds really neat.

Just to add a bit. The former Hotel Washington, now the W, has a roof top bar with fantastic views right by the White House. You could take kids up there I'm pretty sure since they had some tables last night I was there (during the day at least).

Old Ebbitt is somewhere I like to take people to eat. It feels very Washington to me and is a favorite for both locals and tourists. Joe's steakhouse? I can't remember the name but for a great dinner they have stone crabs & steak - this is the popular chain from Miami. Will be pricier. District Taco and Roti are two cheaper choices for places to eat.

Some people enjoy walking around Georgetown and shopping. Georgetown cupcakes is there as well, usually with a line out the door.

Try not to drive in rush hour. We live less than 6.5 miles from downtown and our commute is 30-45 minutes.

Maybe bring a kite, ball, etc. for the kids to play with on the Mall. There is also a merry go around somewhere on the Mall. The Building Museum has some kid-centric parts. There is also a neat BBQ place in Gallery Place, Hill Country.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Leemiller wrote:Georgetown cupcakes is there as well, usually with a line out the door.
Baked & Wired is considered by many to be the best cupcake place around: http://bakedandwired.com/

I have no relationship with them except as a happy customer and a guy who's referred a number of other happy customers.
FCM

Post by FCM »

If you are planning to be in Old Town Alexandria for lunch one day, I would suggest that you go to Chadwick's on Union Street near the waterfront. I have eaten there many times. The food is good, and the prices are reasonable. They also have a "kid-friendly" menu.