Year round storage container for CDs in car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Year round storage container for CDs in car

Post by CountryBoy »

Is it possible to buy a Year round storage container for CDs in the car. Heat or cold can ruin a CD disc and I was if there are any answers to this question?

Thanks.
whatusername?

Re: Year round storage container for CDs in car

Post by whatusername? »

What are CDs?

Okay, just kidding. Depending on where you are, are you certain that will be a problem? I used to just use one of the CaseLogic cases tucked under the seat = it kept it out of the direct sun during our horrendous summers, and it never got cold enough in the winter for me to really worry about it. You might want to take the interior temp of your car - it may not be as hazardous as you think.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Well we live 1 hr. north of NYC and the temps this winter regularly were below freezing

The summers can be in the 90's on occasion.

Over at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_ ... ular%2C276

it looks as if only the bulky ones would offer protection.
Last edited by CountryBoy on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Burn copies to keep in your car? This also protects against theft.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Well it takes time but you are correct.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

telemark wrote:Burn copies to keep in your car? This also protects against theft.
+1
whatusername? wrote:What are CDs?
I can top that. Remember cassette tapes? I just drug a ton of old cassettes out of the closet and am in the process of recording some of them to my PC. I even had to buy a cassette player for the job as my old one had died while in storage for 20+ years. Finding a reasonably priced player wasn't easy. I even ran across one old 8-track tape, but decided that one wasn't worth my time :beer
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

I remember very clearly when those funny looking 45 records (small with big holes) came out. Would have been late 1940's!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine »

How about a cooler?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Doom&Gloom wrote:
telemark wrote:Burn copies to keep in your car? This also protects against theft.
+1
whatusername? wrote:What are CDs?
I can top that. Remember cassette tapes? I just drug a ton of old cassettes out of the closet and am in the process of recording some of them to my PC. I even had to buy a cassette player for the job as my old one had died while in storage for 20+ years. Finding a reasonably priced player wasn't easy. I even ran across one old 8-track tape, but decided that one wasn't worth my time :beer
Cassette tapes are what we used to call those "new" tapes when they came out.. I had a portable 8-track tape player and stack of 8-track tapes that I drove around with.
gbru316

Post by gbru316 »

I don't think there is a permanent solution.

If temps outside are in the 90's, temps in a sealed car can reach over 120. Even a cooler will eventually reach those temps given enough time.

The best solution would be to transfer them to an mp3 player and keep the hard copies at home. I'm sure you could find used ipods for pretty cheap on ebay.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I just have a thin fabric car CD holder for all the kids CDs that has resided in the glove box for the last nine years. I haven't had a problem with CD degradation and I live in southern Iowa were we see temps from 105 down to -20F. The key is probably just keeping them out of direct sunlight.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I burned all my CDs to MP3 format. They are now on every computer & cell phone in the house.

In my cars I either have an audio input permitting a cell phone to be the player, or I installed a modern BT compatible stereo that can stream from a phone.

Ditch the CDs! :beer
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

Is this really a problem? I've had CDs in my car during Wisconsin winters and South Carolina summers with no problem.

That being said, almost all of what I regularly listen to is on a USB stick plugged in under my armrest.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

gbru316 wrote:If temps outside are in the 90's, temps in a sealed car can reach over 120. Even a cooler will eventually reach those temps given enough time.

The best solution would be to transfer them to an mp3 player and keep the hard copies at home. I'm sure you could find used ipods for pretty cheap on ebay.
Most consumer electronics have a surprisingly narrow temperature tolerance. An iPod shuffle for example has a non-operating (i.e. storage) temperature range of -4F to 113F. Many CDs, particularly stamped CDs, will spec a wider temperature range than that. If you're going to keep the iPod in the car then CDs are probably more reliable.

There are a lot of subtleties here. Both CDs and iPods will usually survive temperatures outside the specs, but a few will fail early or immediately. One of the reasons car radios etc. are more expensive than boom boxes is that the car radio should use more expensive industrial spec or even military spec parts that can handle a harsher environment.

Treating whatever is in the car as somewhat disposable, and having a backup or replacement plan if it fails is probably the way to go.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Many thanks.