smartphones

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bowtie

smartphones

Post by bowtie »

Are smartphones really worth having as opposed to just a plain old cell phone?
I can understand wanting to be online, check email etc., but you can do that w/a computer or a tablet.
Yet, a look around will tell you that smartphones are clearly addictive to most....
Any thoughts? I'm curious to hear from forumites.
John3754

Re: smartphones

Post by John3754 »

bowtie wrote:I can understand wanting to be online, check email etc., but you can do that w/a computer or a tablet.
Yes but a computer or tablet doesn't fit in your pocket. Personally I find having internet access at my fingertips wherever I go to be pretty valuable.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

I think the answer is totally dependent on lifestyle. As a retiree who can no longer do any traveling, really cannot justify the cost of a smartphone, so the plain-vanilla cell phone ($17 monthly) works for me.
I might - might - change my mind about this when the time comes to replace my PC.
Can easily see where others who are constantly on the go, away from home, would find a smartphone essential.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

(duplicate post)
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I resisted getting a smart phone for many years. I actually don't talk on the phone much, so I used a flip phone that cost like $15 a quarter. I used an ipod touch to play games, and get on the internet at wifi hotspots. Like Hillary, I finally decided it was too much of a pain to carry two devices so I switched to a smart phone, looking for the cheapest plan I could find. I pay $35 a month, which sometimes seems way too much, but I do find it worth it. I am not on the net all the time, but it was annoying if I wanted something and had to go find the local micky Ds to get online. Another use is for internet radio. I like to listen to various podcasts while working out at the gym, so it is nice to continue the show after my workout on the way home.
Mike
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I consider it completely unnecessary. It's a nice to have but not worth the added data cost. I resisted until cost of data was included with the voice plan. When that happened 2 years ago, I purchased a used iPhone from my sister. It's 4 years old now and I'm still using that phone.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

If it wasn't pretty essential for my job and being paid for by my employer, there is almost zero chance I would have one. I think for a lot of people it is more of a distraction than anything else.
ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks »

Well, there are smartphones and there are smartphones. For $19, you can get a smartphone which runs on the T Mobile network and runs Android 4.4. It's slow and the screen resolution is lousy but it will make and receive phone calls, text using an on screen keyboard and show you where you are using Google Maps. It will also act as a Wi-Fi hotspot or connect a tablet via a USB tether. You can think of it as a cheap way of adding cell phone connectivity to a tablet.

The big cost is and will continue to be the data connectivity. On the T Mobile network, that starts at $50 a month.

The real question is, how much do you need Internet connectivity when you're away from a Wi-Fi connection? Is it worth $50 a month to be in a restaurant and need to check your calendar or be in a store and look up information on a product that's on sale or be driving and want to pull over and check when a flight arrives or be out walking/bicycling and want to look at a map or find the nearest restaurant or listen to Internet radio when you're out walking or...

Unsure what the answer is? Buy the cheap smartphone (ZTE Zinger, Walmart) and sign up for a month of T Mobile no-contract service. If you want to continue, buy a better phone and keep the Zinger as a spare.
TRC

Post by TRC »

bowtie wrote: Yet, a look around will tell you that smartphones are clearly addictive to most....
This is a very good point. If you don't need one of your work / profession, I'd say don't get one if you don't really want or need one.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I have another post on it, but if you're lucky enough to have good overall service in your area, Republic Wireless offers solid wireless and cell service for $25 (3G) or $40 per month, unlimited (with high-usage throttling), which is as low as I've seen it for unlimited plans. I'm using the $25 plan and I still can't believe how well it works.

I'll also add that coming from an iphone 4S to the new MotoX, using internet on the phone is much more appealing on the newer current gen devices. I hate using internet on my iphone 4S because the screen is so small and input is so annoying, but the slightly larger screens of newer phones plus little details like a mini vibration every time you hit a key on the on-screen keyboard to simulate physical feedback, make it a lot more viable - enough that I would consider not bringing my laptop for nonmission critical short trips and just get by with my phone - I wouldn't have done that with my 4S, which I consider too small to do anything on.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

In modern life you *can* live without a smartphone. Similarly, you can live without a credit card. But both tools provide such convenience and ease that it really doesn't make sense to me to not use them. You can buy a GREAT unlocked smartphone for under $200 these days (the 2015 Moto G is $180 unlocked, and it is fantastic) and:
- never be lost again
- make traveling much more stress-free and fun, with flight check-in, hotel booking, site-seeing recommendations, restaurant reviews, etc, etc.
- communicate with friends/family/co-workers/etc in the modern style - ie, with chat apps like whatsapp, with fewer unnecessary phone calls
- always have a camera with you (so useful!)

So I personally recommend getting a smartphone, using it until you get comfortable with it, and then deciding if you want one or not. If you don't you can always sell it on a service like gazelle.
slow n steady

Post by slow n steady »

lightheir wrote:I have another post on it, but if you're lucky enough to have good overall service in your area, Republic Wireless offers solid wireless and cell service for $25 (3G) or $40 per month, unlimited (with high-usage throttling), which is as low as I've seen it for unlimited plans. I'm using the $25 plan and I still can't believe how well it works.

I'll also add that coming from an iphone 4S to the new MotoX, using internet on the phone is much more appealing on the newer current gen devices. I hate using internet on my iphone 4S because the screen is so small and input is so annoying, but the slightly larger screens of newer phones plus little details like a mini vibration every time you hit a key on the on-screen keyboard to simulate physical feedback, make it a lot more viable - enough that I would consider not bringing my laptop for nonmission critical short trips and just get by with my phone - I wouldn't have done that with my 4S, which I consider too small to do anything on.
+1
I have a MotoX and am on the $10 plan with Republic Wireless so I get unlimited calls and texts buy no data. I love this compromise because I can listen to podcasts, access my calenders, and YNAB while on the go but I don't have a large monthly plan. For reference I am in my 20's and have had a Note 2 with Verizon in the past. I loved the Note 2, but I couldn't justify paying 8x more per month for little additional benefit.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Resistance is futile, at least in my case. Just picked up a Moto E from AT&T which I got 30% off as a retiree (50% if my area has AT&T U-verse but not). They have been very generous to me in the past while I was working.

It could get addictive, depending on your lifestyle. I do appreciate apps like Waze in addition to Google Map when I'm driving, complimenting my ginormous Garmin with traffic info.

Rarely do I do impulse buying but it is great to able to check prices on the spot.

It is a nice to have. After my 2-year contract, would shop for better prices again and a larger screen. The Mot E still fits into my shirt pocket.
restandinvest

Post by restandinvest »

They have their conveniences, but by no means is it without a price. With 24/7 email, what was once routine is suddenly "urgent." I could go back to the flip phone in a heartbeat.
“As I have earlier noted, the most important things in life and in business can’t be measured...It is character, not numbers, that make the world go ‘round." John Bogle
dumbmoney

Post by dumbmoney »

Smartphones are cheap enough (my last one cost $50, not including the add-on memory card) that they're pretty easy to justify for a traditional dumbphone user. There are plenty of uses that don't involve communications: offline maps/GPS, music, books, games, etc. Since I don't have a GPS unit in my car, that function alone justifies the cost.
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.
Hulu

Post by Hulu »

I just switched to a smart phone bc my last phone broke after seven great years. So far the dumb phone would have been better. Maybe I'm not used to the new one though.

Pros of smart phone

Uber is cheaper than cab
Internet/email on the go
I can open any text message now
Group texting
Might not need to carry iPad mini as much now

Cons

Waaay worse battery life. Even after seven years.
Worse voice quality (switched to RW from Verizon to keep cost the same)
Phone takes up more room
Learning curve
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

To be fair, battery life is only worse because of all the added functions. If you turn off GPS, WiFi, and background apps, battery life would be comparable. My iPhone could easily last days if all I did was check the time, missed calls, and the occasional text.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

mmmodem wrote:To be fair, battery life is only worse because of all the added functions. If you turn off GPS, WiFi, and background apps, battery life would be comparable. My iPhone could easily last days if all I did was check the time, missed calls, and the occasional text.
I use Juice Defender - it has settings that shut down a lot of services when the screen goes blank. Also go into apps and restrict background access to mobile data.

I installed a toggle bar that makes it easy to shut down the data pipe, GPS and WIFI entirely -- much of the time I leave these all off until I need them.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

TS,

Smartphone is my watch, digital camera, and navigator. I use my phone to scan and check out price before I buy something at the shop. So, what is there not to like.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Having the ability to book very hard to get camping reservations and concert tickets while attending a job-related training, was quite useful, to me. Would have missed out on those opportunities.

Having the internet available with you, wherever you go is either a help or hindrance. Depends on your age, mostly (and yes I do quite enjoy when our campsites have NO cell service) :D
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

GIven that there are free data plans (e.g. Freedompop), and given that there are mobile-only discounts and offers (such as today's Target free Coke 0, Target Cartwheel, etc), then yes, having a smartphone is a Boglehead-ish thing to do.

That's not to mention the time/effort savings when you need to look up things, coordinate things on the go, do research on the spot (price check something at the store before buying it asap), etc. So yes, smartphones can definitely be a net time and money saving tool nowadays.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I resisted until I could buy a prepaid 3G Android for under $150
and pay $129/year for the service (about $7/month) for 1200 min/year
1200 texts + 1200 MB of data. I am a low user of all of these.

It's CDMA and locked on the Verizon Network, but it works great.
I mainly use the wifi for data and only occasionally turn on 3G data.

You wouldn't want it if you are a big data user.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

A smartphone is an absolute necessity, yes...
(writing this while waiting in a vet's office...)
Attempted new signature...
FuyuKei

Post by FuyuKei »

It really depends on how much you use it. I am 24 and I only finally bought one last year. Definitely the last person my age that I know that got it. I like it just enough to keep it, but I don't feel it's "necessary" or anything, as some people do.

Mostly, it replaces a lot of things for me: GPS for travelling, Watch, Notepad/paper, file cabinet, digital camera, pedometer, portable video games, e-reader ,calendar, printed coupons, TV, laptop,tablet, mirror, sketchpad, newspaper, many things I don't have to print anymore at work, etc. There are a lot of apps that make life easier/faster, it's better than carrying all these things around, and I always have all these things all the time. I hardly need a purse.

Of note: GPS isn't always going to work. I still always print directions, follow signs, and pay close attention to where I'm going. I do think too many people rely on that.