Ad Blockers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Ad Blockers

Post by CountryBoy »

I currently use AdblockerPlus.

Do some use Adblock Edge?

Do people have a preference?

See
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/c84a647e-d3af ... z3VtZ1pjyJ
Rl2

Re: Ad Blockers

Post by Rl2 »

I used ublock, which is supposed to have a lower memory footprint
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Never heard of it but it looks very good.......

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... iagm?hl=en
Toons

Post by Toons »

AdBlock Plus is all I use for as long as it has been available :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
greg24

Post by greg24 »

In Chrome, I use AdBlock, AdBlock Plus, and FlashBlock.
mac808

Post by mac808 »

Adblock Plus used to be good but they have sold out recently, allowing ad networks to pay them to be ''whitelisted'' and get ads through. (They claim they do this very rarely but in reality hundreds of networks and sites are whitelisted, and even if they scaled it back, why use an adblocker that doesn't block ads when there are free and better alternatives available?).

I switched over to uBlock and it's excellent.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... phjbkeiagm
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

OK, so I added uBlock to my Chrome, but am I correct in assuming that it is not available for Firefox?
mac808

Post by mac808 »

Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

For which many thanks; I installed it.

egads...you guys are fast! and helpful!
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I've used Adblock Plus for several years, like it a lot and intend to stick with it.

Reading other message boards, Ublock's primary advantage is when it's used on memory constrained PC's (less than 2 MB of memory).

I've got lots more than that so will stay with what works for me.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Ad Blocker Plus and Disconnect.
mac808

Post by mac808 »

Steelersfan wrote:I've used Adblock Plus for several years, like it a lot and intend to stick with it.

Reading other message boards, Ublock's primary advantage is when it's used on memory constrained PC's (less than 2 MB of memory).

Hey steelersfan just curious, have you noticed more and more ads getting through adblock plus? I caught those tricky news story looking ads getting through (apparently because they pay them off) and that's what finally got me to switch away.

If you prefer the Adblock Plus architecture you can switch to Adblock Edge, which uses the same code but doesn't let any ads through.

Disconnect is also great, it blocks a lot of data collection sites but might disable normal site functionality once or twice in a blue moon.
Sachay

Post by Sachay »

I also use Ghostery to avoid having that one thing I looked at on Amazon follow me around forever. Similar to Disconnect.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

mac808 wrote:Adblock Plus used to be good but they have sold out recently, allowing ad networks to pay them to be ''whitelisted'' and get ads through. (They claim they do this very rarely but in reality hundreds of networks and sites are whitelisted, and even if they scaled it back, why use an adblocker that doesn't block ads when there are free and better alternatives available?).

I switched over to uBlock and it's excellent.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... phjbkeiagm
Yes, but exposure to whitelisted advertisement is optional, though enable by default. You can turn it off in settings.
batpot

Post by batpot »

I use No Script for Firefox, and use that as my primary browser. It allows you to allow certain domains, either permanently or temporarily, but many, many shopping websites have so much crap running behind the scenes that the sites become crippled.

Therefore, I also use Chrome, but only for short periods of time, and only in incognito mode, when I want to buy something online from a site that doesn't work w/ No Script.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

mac808 wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:I've used Adblock Plus for several years, like it a lot and intend to stick with it.

Hey steelersfan just curious, have you noticed more and more ads getting through adblock plus? I caught those tricky news story looking ads getting through (apparently because they pay them off) and that's what finally got me to switch away.
I haven't noticed, but ads are white noise to me so they just don't register.

I just followed serbeer's advice just above this post and blocked their white lists. I bet that will turn off a bunch of ads I don't even notice. It was really easy. I just clicked on the ABP red hexagon in the browser top line and made one more click.
Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

I use Ad Block Plus and Element Hiding Helper. The first catches nearly everything, the second lets me manually block anything that got missed and is annoying enough to bother with.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

I use AdBlock and Ghostery, no issues with ads, something things don't load right unless I turn off part or all of Ghostery, such as Home Depot product info.
desiderium

Post by desiderium »

Beware. I accidentally installed AdBlock Pro. It contained extension malware, causing tabs with all kinds of ads to open on your browser. Took me awhile to figure it out because it looks like AdBlock/Adblock Plus.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

For both Firefox and Chrome there is uBlock. But for Chrome alone there is µMatrix. 8-)

µMatrix is like NoScript, but without the headaches. Just be careful when using uBlock and µMatrix together in Chrome you don't repeat the blocking lists. I use the blocking lists in µMatrix and turn any off in uBlock that are repeaters.

µMatrix for Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... jdcf?hl=en

Wilders thread discussing µMatrix.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/ ... or.369601/

BobK
Last edited by bobcat2 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
AviN

Post by AviN »

mac808 wrote:Adblock Plus used to be good but they have sold out recently, allowing ad networks to pay them to be ''whitelisted'' and get ads through. (They claim they do this very rarely but in reality hundreds of networks and sites are whitelisted, and even if they scaled it back, why use an adblocker that doesn't block ads when there are free and better alternatives available?).
Can you please substantiate this claim? I don't see anything there that indicates they accept payment in exchange for being whitelisted:

https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

Avi
Last edited by AviN on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

AviN wrote:

Can you please substantiate this claim? I don't see anything there that indicates they accept payment in exchange for being whitelisted:

Avi

Ten percent of those whitelisted pay to play. See this.
http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/02 ... y-to-play/

I'm shocked, shocked, that at the Adblockplus website they fail to emphasize that large whitelisted companies pay-to-play. :D

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
mac808

Post by mac808 »

AviN wrote:

Avi
Thanks to Bob for beating me to the punch and posting a link. There was a mini firestorm in the tech press about a month ago, the company behind ABP is being publicly sued in Germany by publishers who equate their pay to play whitelist scheme to extortion. It seems pretty certain the publishers will lose but nonetheless makes for good reading if you're interested in the market and have some time to kill. I'm a security researcher and we love adblock because a huge amount of adware is now spread through ad networks. Unfortunately, Adblock Plus tends to whitelist the worst offending networks, lulling users into a false sense of security (e.g. ''oh this can't be an ad, I have adblock on!''). As another poster mentioned there are also a few imposters like Adblock Pro, who confuse users into downloading them and then show them even more ads. It's a jungle out there.
AviN

Post by AviN »

bobcat2 wrote:
Ten percent of those whitelisted pay to play. See this.
http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/02 ... y-to-play/

I'm shocked, shocked, that at the Adblockplus website they fail to emphasize that large whitelisted companies pay-to-play. :D

BobK
Thanks for that information. That's a little disappointing

Avi
duffman12

Post by duffman12 »

AdBlock on chrome :mrgreen:
"Greed may not be good, but it’s not so bad, either. People think greed is just for money and power. But everyone wants something they don’t have." | ChasingGains.org
navyasw02

Post by navyasw02 »

Anybody have issues with Adblock? Maybe within the last 2-3 months I've had numerous sites fail to load due to adblock on Chrome. Not sure if it's just me, but the problem just started recently.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

I have not had that problem. Can you give an example we can try to load?
epitomist

Post by epitomist »

I switched from Adblock Plus to Adblock to ublock.

I have 16 GB of RAM in my system but the lower memory footprint of ublock works wonders when having many tabs open.

Ublock has a great UI allowing you to flag additional things to block as well as allowing you (I.e. Not them) to white list a site.

There isn't a single reason to stay with the older Adblock technologies that I can think of. Ublock appears superior to me in every way.
brianH

Post by brianH »

Another vote for uBlock on Chrome here.

I moved away from ABP after the "whitelist" nonsense. I, as a software dev, don't have an issue with people making money off software, but writing software that removes the potential revenue stream from a website and then allowing certain ads based on the diversion of that payment to you is hypocritical and scummy. uBlock also seems faster and uses less resources than ABP did.

I do use ABP on Firefox for Android on my tablet, because it is the only real option for blocking ads on mobile devices without rooting.
Magruder

Post by Magruder »

Adblock, as opposed to Adblock Plus, on Chrome. No issues! Sweet! :happy
patrick

Post by patrick »

I've been using AdBlock (just plain AdBlock, nothing else in the name) on PC for Chrome. The running total it keeps is quite interesting: 655,488 ads blocked so far. I never knew I was getting that many!

On my smartphone I use Adblock Edge (based on Adblock Plus but no whitelist) for FIrefox.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

I run lots of ads on my site and find it interesting to see which ones get blocked by adblocker and which don't. I had an advertiser change their ad and then complain that they couldn't see it (due to their adblocker software.)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I do not use any blockers and since I switched to Apple and Safari for our browser it is no where near as bad as windows and Internet Explorer. In fact, I am not sure one could use a blocker with Apple even if they wanted. Their current operating system is Yosemite.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

abuss368 wrote:I do not use any blockers and since I switched to Apple and Safari for our browser it is no where near as bad as windows and Internet Explorer. In fact, I am not sure one could use a blocker with Apple even if they wanted. Their current operating system is Yosemite.
I use Ad Block Plus with Firefox on Mac when I'm at work. I have no idea if there is one for Safari though.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Clearly_Irrational wrote:
abuss368 wrote:I do not use any blockers and since I switched to Apple and Safari for our browser it is no where near as bad as windows and Internet Explorer. In fact, I am not sure one could use a blocker with Apple even if they wanted. Their current operating system is Yosemite.
I use Ad Block Plus with Firefox on Mac when I'm at work. I have no idea if there is one for Safari though.
Interesting. Thank you for sharing.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I switched to ublock after reading this thread, and I've been happy with it. However, it appears as if they have just changed some settings that now allow it to alter privacy settings. So google has flagged it.

However, reading the developers explanation, it sounds like these features have been there all along.

Have any other users here figured out what the deal is? I've had it disabled all day, but am considering allowing it to run again.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
telemark

Post by telemark »

bhsince87 wrote:I switched to ublock after reading this thread, and I've been happy with it. However, it appears as if they have just changed some settings that now allow it to alter privacy settings. So google has flagged it.

However, reading the developers explanation, it sounds like these features have been there all along.

Have any other users here figured out what the deal is? I've had it disabled all day, but am considering allowing it to run again.
If the developers are to be believed, all they're doing is turning off prefetching. I don't have a problem with that: prefetching strikes me as a dubious feature anyway, and I don't know why Google stuck it under privacy settings.

For what it's worth, I'm using ublock but with Firefox where I haven't seen any problems. I've mostly given up on Chrome, the "aw snap" thing stops being funny after you see it too many times.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Thanks, telemark.

After going a day without it, I can at least vouch that it really works!

I just turned it back on.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
G-Force

Post by G-Force »

Adblock is available for safari. You can find it on the safari extensions page.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

G-Force wrote:
Adblock is available for safari. You can find it on the safari extensions page.
I was not aware of that.

Thank you!
cdevers

Post by cdevers »

Kind of an old-school approach, but I just patch my hosts file so that DNS lookups for ad servers fail, and the ads don’t load. No running software to enter into the equation, and it works for all browsers equally.

Main catch is that the list needs to be updated periodically, but that’ll be the case regardless, so that’s fine for me.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Ad Block kept crashing in Chrome. Problem solved, I just switched to uBlock.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.