need new computer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pablolo

need new computer

Post by pablolo »

hello. my 11 year old computer has gone to the farm. I use my computer to check e-mail and to surf websites. do any boglehead technicians have any suggestions for a desk top computer(need tower only) and where to buy? What security system ,etc. I am not very computer literate. thank you all.
Toons

Re: need new computer

Post by Toons »

pablolo wrote:hello. my 11 year old computer has gone to the farm. I use my computer to check e-mail and to surf websites. do any boglehead technicians have any suggestions for a desk top computer(need tower only) and where to buy? What security system ,etc. I am not very computer literate. thank you all.

So many choices in the marketplace but given what you say you do with a computer, I see no reason to spend more than a few hundred dollars for a desktop.
For starters:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-i3646-1000BL ... +computers

I would download Microsoft Security Essentials for Protection,Malwarebytes(free version) to work in tandem with Microsoft Security Essentials.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... s-download

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
synpacket

Post by synpacket »

You should really consider a chromebook. Just realize it's an internet only laptop, which sounds like all you need. They're cheaper, and faster for the things you use a computer for. I want the Toshiba Chromebook 2. Check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-CB35-B334 ... B00N99FXIS

You may not realize, but a desktop is way overkill. I'm thinking the days of spending $1000 for a new computer are pretty much over, except for gamers or people doing serious work.
Toons

Post by Toons »

ChromeBox is another viable alternative.Built in Security :happy
I keep one attached to an HDTV,,strictly for streaming,web,email,,etc. :happy

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... =chromebox
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
suburbandad

Post by suburbandad »

I would second the chromebook idea!
I recently purchased the Toshiba Chromebook 2 and love it. Fast with a beautiful 13 inch 1080 screen. There are many models well under $250. You can even create/edit Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents using either Google Docs or the free Microsoft Online service.
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

If all you do is check email and surf, I'd actually recommend a tablet. I used to not see any value to them, but they're great if you're just consuming content (videos/movies/pictures/recipes/websites/email). Very easy to use, relatively secure, and you can take it with you anywhere in the house. You can get a bluetooth keyboard for typing, if that's your thing. Bought an iPad Air for my wife because her mom 'borrowed' her first iPad (and liked it too much) and it just works.

If you insist on a full-blown computer, I'd recommend a laptop and second synpacket's Chromebook recommendation. Online retailers like Amazon and Newegg are good if you know what model to get. I personally own 3 Lenovo ThinkPads (my older one is 7 years with a faded screen and has been retired to my basement workshop) and think they're great.
Toons

Post by Toons »

suburbandad wrote:I would second the chromebook idea!
I recently purchased the Toshiba Chromebook 2 and love it. Fast with a beautiful 13 inch 1080 screen. There are many models well under $250. You can even create/edit Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents using either Google Docs or the free Microsoft Online service.

+1 :happy

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... hromebooks
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

For your purpose, basically anything on the market today will do (and then some)

Certainly don't spend more than $500.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

The HP Stream 11 and HP Stream 13 are $199 and $229 respectively and are excellent machines at a price that essentially makes them disposable.

Buy it from the Microsoft Store to ensure it is not loaded with crapware and is ready to go. Comes with one year of Office 365 and 1 TB of online storage.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... .309174500
joebh

Post by joebh »

pablolo wrote:I use my computer to check e-mail and to surf websites.
If that's truly all you do, then I concur with others who have suggested a Chromebook. I purchased one for my wife last year, when her Windows notebook computer died.

The Chromebook has worked out quite well for both of us. She gets a faster computer with a larger, far more beautiful screen. I get far fewer "tech support" requests.
And it cost less overall.
Dumbo

Post by Dumbo »

From a pure security perspective, and especially usability (if you haven't experienced Windows 8 and 10 yet you're in for a shock). I'd avoid anything with Windows on it.

Chromebook is a good call ($250) as is a tablet like iPad Air ($400). If you really want the flexibility of a full on computer then consider a MacBook Air ($900). And if you really want a "desktop", then look at a new Mac Mini, at $500 it doesn't have the portability of the three mentioned but it's small, uses almost no power so you can always leave it on, and it's relatively secure.

In any case, if you haven't experienced "modern" computing the past 11 years you should expect a bit of a learning curve. I'm worried a Chromebook may be too much of a "shock" to get mentally used to how it works. A MacBook Air or MacMini will fit the bill better. But a tablet like iPad will do everything you need and you'll have a lot of learning resources available to train up.
Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - Isaac Asimov
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I don't see Chromebook as a shock. It's a little different, but nothing you shouldn't be able to pick up fairly easy. If all you want to do is Email and web surf you really shouldn't care whether it's local on your PC or in the cloud. But there are two areas where you might have to change a little. You'll have to learn the Chrome browser if you don't already use it. No big deal. If you're using an Email client you'll have to learn to use the web mail instead. Again, no big deal. But you don't have to worry about Internet security programs because Chromebooks don't need them. Referencing the Chromebox post, some Chromebooks also have HDMI ports that enable you to stream them to your HDTV.

Not to make any specific recommendations on where to buy one, but if you drop in a Best Buy you can probably get one of the sales people to give you a 5 minute Chromebook tutorial. That's about all you'll need before you can pick up anything else yourself.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

synpacket wrote:You should really consider a chromebook. Just realize it's an internet only laptop, which sounds like all you need. They're cheaper, and faster for the things you use a computer for. I want the Toshiba Chromebook 2. Check it out.

You may not realize, but a desktop is way overkill. I'm thinking the days of spending $1000 for a new computer are pretty much over, except for gamers or people doing serious work.

I have the Toshiba Chromebook 2 because the fan in my Macbook (2006 model) kept turning on. I still use my Macbook for Quicken, iPhoto and iMovie. A Chromebook is better than a tablet for watching movies (Netflix) - IMHO
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
slow n steady

Post by slow n steady »

synpacket wrote:You should really consider a chromebook. Just realize it's an internet only laptop, which sounds like all you need. They're cheaper, and faster for the things you use a computer for. I want the Toshiba Chromebook 2. Check it out.

I bought this during a cyber Monday sale ($279) and I LOVE it.

We originally bought a super cheap laptop and it couldn't keep up. We bought a nice laptop from Costco at the same time we bought the chromebook and returned it for lack of use. The weight of the chromebook is what I like most. We only have to pull out our almost dead old laptop for printing (haven't gotten a wireless printer yet) and making our monthly budget in YNAB. I can't wait until YNAB can be handled entirely online.

I open 20 tabs at a time on the chromebook and it handles it well.