Home workouts and motivation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Re: Home workouts and motivation

Post by ThankYouJack »

OP, could you bike or walk to work or the grocery store? That would save you money in gas / car maintenance and may be easier to get into a routine
jay22 wrote:
tainted-meat wrote:Walk one hour per day, four to five days per week (more if the weather is nice and you feel well).

Too many people do workouts that are unsustainable long-term and they burn out.
I always wondered if just brisk walking is enough exercise for most. I know it is much better than nothing, but do you really see any major health benefits?
According to the CDC brisk walking and a bit of strength training - http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/eve ... dults.html

A study recently came out that running (a lot) can increase your chance of dying - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... -find.html We can Google what we want to believe :)

I personally enjoy walking and biking places but the American culture and typical town / city is not at all pedestrian or bike friendly. Sure we have Portland, but that pales in comparison to Copenhagen.
leonard

Post by leonard »

Rupert wrote:
jay22 wrote:
tainted-meat wrote:Walk one hour per day, four to five days per week (more if the weather is nice and you feel well).

I always wondered if just brisk walking is enough exercise for most. I know it is much better than nothing, but do you really see any major health benefits?
If you're trying to control your weight, studies have shown running to be better than walking, even when walkers expend as much energy as runners. The reason why is not fully understood. But on other measures of health, walking has been determined to be as good, and sometimes better, for you than running. Walking is certainly easier on your joints. I know a lot of old runners with blown-out or newly-replaced knees.
harder workouts tend to keep the heart rate elevated for longer following the workout, increasing metabolism. Would explain at least part of it.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
leonard

Post by leonard »

likegarden wrote:I do not need a Gym membership. I am a home owner and do all lawn mowing (walk behind) and landscaping myself, from end of March to the end of November. Some days I am several hours working outside. There is fresh air and sun, both you will not get in a gym. In winter I shovel snow, when it is too high I use a snow blower. In winter I also relax from my yard work during the other 3/4 of the year. Good regular cleaning of the house is also good for your body.
Have never seen a landscaper that I would want to emulate for my physical and athletic goals - not that it isn't hard work.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
kdb

Post by kdb »

Check out fitnessblender.com for free workout videos of various lengths. They have both body weight workouts and ones with equipment, you can search for videos based on the equipment you have available.

From the videos I've done there are workouts that are challenging no matter what your current ability is, you can also search for videos based on difficulty, so you know in advance how hard it will be. They do tend to be higher impact workouts though, so may not be best for those with injuries. I tend to mix their workouts with running outside, but you can also purchase workout programs from them that will give you a schedule of which workouts to do when.
dillrob

Post by dillrob »

As previously noted, you should consider triathlon. You already participate in 2 of the 3 disciplines. There are many triathlon clubs which offer group rides, runs, swims, cross training and social events. There is also a big focus on nutrition - triathlon's 4th discipline. Though this doesn't help with home work-outs per se, there is a tremendous amount of motivation and support offered by the club during training and events. Also, training in multiple disciplines tends to be inherently less boring. Good luck.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

leonard wrote:
Rupert wrote:
jay22 wrote:

If you're trying to control your weight, studies have shown running to be better than walking, even when walkers expend as much energy as runners. The reason why is not fully understood. But on other measures of health, walking has been determined to be as good, and sometimes better, for you than running. Walking is certainly easier on your joints. I know a lot of old runners with blown-out or newly-replaced knees.
harder workouts tend to keep the heart rate elevated for longer following the workout, increasing metabolism. Would explain at least part of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_pos ... onsumption
leonard

Post by leonard »

stoptothink wrote:
leonard wrote:
Rupert wrote:
jay22 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_pos ... onsumption
Personally, I've noticed that effect after weight training - both HIT and split routines. But, personally, I have also noted the effect after hard aerobic workouts as well.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I've got a small home gym area in my basement. Treadmill and a weight bench with a set of dumbells. Also - a large exercise ball and enough floor space for floor exercises. Like another Poster I enjoy having the TV on while working on - will put on a good documentary or get myself involved with some series. Sometimes if I get roped into a series on one of the cable networks - it encourages my next workout as I want to see the next show (and force myself to wait until the next workout). I found myself getting bored exercising at the gym - the TV keeps me going.
Also - similar to "likegarden" - I will skip working out during weekends in the spring/summer when mowing the lawn and landscaping in the yard. There is no better workout than spreading 12 cu yards of mulch by hand with nothing but a wheelbarrow, rake and shovel :) Spring landscaping is when I shed winter pounds...
hudson

motivation

Post by hudson »

js2012 wrote: The overall problem is I'm bored of the gym and have trouble making the swim team practices so the unlimited pool sessions rarely get used.
My two problems: 1) getting motivated for the gym/working out
How do you stay motivated
snip.... and maybe reignite my passion for healthy eating and working out (coincidentally,
I use Chris Crowley's two books as motivation...Younger Next Year and Thinner This Year. Both explain in detail how various kinds of exercises...including gym workouts pay off for you. Chris is a great motivator....I love his workout stories. In Thinner This Year, he's included an exercise routine that I've been doing once a week since I bought the book. I re-read the books when I need to...skipping anything that I feel like.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014241 ... 2009916940
parsi1

Post by parsi1 »

Sorry I haven’t read all the posts, but there are a ton of Youtube videos about workouts. Before purchasing any DVDs you may want to check Youtube.
I like to walk outside with two 6lb dumbbells for an hour. My goal is to increase it to 10lbs.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I have two seasonal workout routines:

1. Fall/winter - trips to the YMCA about 4-5x weekly with 50 minutes on the stationery bike. Every other trip I will do pushups, crunches, and a series of resistance band exercizes...usually for about 15 - 20 minutes. Target heart rate for bike is 140 max and ditto for pushups. RBs tend to max around 120 - 130.

2. Sprint/summer - substitute the stationery bike with the real bike and go either 14 or 18 miles with similar max heart rate. Upon completion at home I will do pushups, RBs and kettlebells.

I like going to the Y for several reasons including social, ability to read books or magazines while on the bike, and getting out of the house. However, after a few months, it gets old...really old and I yearn for the outdoor rides. I am probably 3 weeks from going outside.

Regarding running outside...my wife and her friends walked outside today for the first time in about 6 weeks and her comment was "scary". They hit it pretty hard 5.5 mile in 75 minutes. In this area it is not the cold (although extreme cold/wind is brutal), but rather the ice pack and snow. I ran up until 10 years ago when the back pain was severe and I moved to the bike and never desired to run again....although I miss the 5k races.

Kettlebells are great...I have a 25 pounder and probably should ramp up to a 30 or 35 pounder. My heartrate just explodes with a set of 25 swings. It is a great workout - I have about 7 or 8 different items and when combined with RBs it is pretty good.

Today we have finally had a great sunny day and the snow is disappearing quickly. Runners are out.

Ed