Honda fit vs VW GTI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mortal

Honda fit vs VW GTI

Post by mortal »

Howdy folks,

So, in the next year or two I might be selling my miata, and buying a more practical car. I am particularly leaning buying a hatchback. I (think) I've narrowed it down to two contenders. A new Honda Fit, or a used 2012-2013 VW GTI.

Now, for those of you who aren't 'car people' these two hatches could not be more different.

The Fit is eminently practical and sensible. It gets great fuel economy (35 mpg), and has plenty of space for people (accord like leg room) and cargo.

The GTI trades efficency (27mpg) for power (220hp/250ft-lbs tq). It's 0-60 is 5.8s which is *quick* for a front wheel drive vehicle. It's only fault is VW's reliability issues.

I used to drive primarily on two lane back roads with limited opportunities to pass. There one absolutely needs power. Now, however, I drive on congested interstates and urban streets, and those ponies rarely leave the stable. It seems a waste to drive a 'sporty' car here.

So, the question that I have been running over in my head is, do I go for the 'nicer' car which could be more of a headache, or the more sensible, efficient one, that could be a bit more of an appliance? If you were in my situation, would you go with the fit, or the GTI?
matjen

Re: Honda fit vs VW GTI

Post by matjen »

Both great cars but there will be zero times when you are driving the GTI and wishing you had a Fit. The opposite won't be true. The GTI can do everything a Fit can do at the expense of a bit of gas mileage and a bit of reliability. But the GTI still gets very good mileage and its reliability is not too bad for a German car.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

matjen wrote:But the GTI still gets very good mileage and its reliability is not too bad for a German car.
The GTi is a gas guzzler compared to the Fit. Reliability will be way worse and VW mechanics around here have a reputation for cluelessness. The Fit will be a boring drive -- handling, braking and acceleration barely adequate.

I see these two cars as apples and oranges. OP should think a little harder what exactly they want from a car.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
rayout

Post by rayout »

Have you taken a look at a Prius C? Seems like it might be a good fit. Last years or used models seems to be slightly discounted now as sellers are facing reduced demand due to the lower gas prices.

I cannot complain about the reliability of my 2005 Prius. I bought with around 150K miles a couple years back and will be rolling 200K this year with no major issues. Hope to take it to 250K :)
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Go with the fit. Get either JDM wide body add ons or do what track people do and make Miata flares fit. Bigger, wider wheels/tires, front and rear sways, stiffer shocks and a Jackson Racing supercharger. It'll be more fun than a GTI but not break down twice a week.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Average Investor

Post by Average Investor »

Both great cars. Fit will likely be more reliable long term, the GTI will be way more fun to drive and fit and finish are better than its class. VW parts fail with time in my experience. You might also consider the Golf, it is a closer comparison to the Fit.

I was in a similar place a few years ago and ended up buying a car that was on the elimination list -- a Smart ForTwo. No regrets it's been a great car for me but it is not for everyone.

Fiat 500 is worth a drive as well, not sure about reliability.
Tomorrow never knows.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

matjen wrote:Both great cars but there will be zero times when you are driving the GTI and wishing you had a Fit. The opposite won't be true.
When you're driving the GTI to the mechanic, yet again, you'll wish you had a Fit.
After several years, your GTI is not aging well, you'll wish you had a Fit.
When you're ready to sell your GTI, you'll wish you'd bought a Fit.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Lease a GTI but buy a Fit, from a former BMW/MB/Saab/VW owner now driving a boring Lexus. :oops:
6miths

Post by 6miths »

As stated above, I would barely consider these cars to be anywhere near the same class. VW GTI I would think is more like a Honda Civic Si. The Fit is a whole other beast - higher mileage, lower cost, reliable, boring... Probably be fine with either one after all we're not talking about a big BMW or Merc here.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

This is truly a bizarre comparison, and the only thing in common is that they are 5 doors. So, my conclusion is to pass up on both the Fit (way too boring) as well as the GTI (unreliable, premium fuel, and higher insurance costs), and go with a used Mazda 3. Reliable, good mpg, and very fun car to drive. You have a Mazda, so why didn't you consider a 3? They're fantastic. You can go back two generations and they are all solid cars.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

Flobes wrote:
matjen wrote:Both great cars but there will be zero times when you are driving the GTI and wishing you had a Fit. The opposite won't be true.
When you're driving the GTI to the mechanic, yet again, you'll wish you had a Fit.
Funny!

Was in exact same dilemma in 2008, also have congested city commute 50% of time. I'd recommend deciding BEFORE you test drive on how much the driving experience matters to you. You've identified (and most everyone would agree) Fit or Prius C is the "logical" way to get from A to B, probably with less risk/cost. But a Fit is way more boring.

Once you test drive, it's not fair to compare the 2. STI, CivicS, MazdaSpeed 3 and GTI are competitors. Fit vs Golf is the fair comparison.

When I test drove in 2008, the Fit Sport was just louder (due to 4k-5k RPMs for same power), less refined and "looser" driving experience. I'm no hot-rodder, but most reviews (motor trend, C&D, edmunds, etc) concur GTI is a great package for the price (consistent award getter, etc).

Have had GTI for 7 years now, no problems, oil change every 10k, regular gas, will teach kids how to drive stick on it. If congetsion bad, do consider DSG.

EDIT: Re-read your post. I suspect it's going to be hard going from your Miata to a Fit.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

I have a Fit and I love it, but it's the old Fit, not this generation. The new Fit has had a ton of reliability issues, mostly relating from the new plant in Mexico where they are made whereas they were made in Japan up until the 2015 Fit. I would recommend getting a used 2013 or previous Fit. The new Fit also isn't much fun to drive whereas the old Fit is definitely "toss able." It feels like a go kart and it's fun, you also can't take yourself too seriously owning a Fit. The new Fit is more sturdy but also a lot stiffer. They tamped down some of the noise that is admittedly an issue, and the gas mileage is up a bit, but it has serious reliability issues. Consumer Reports loved the old Fit, aside from it getting killed on the overlap crash test, but they won't even come close to recommending this one. Get a used Fit, although yes, it will be a serious downgrade from your Miata, but your costs of ownership are going to be very low.
TorpedoBook

Post by TorpedoBook »

I looked at a number of options last year and got a GTI - it's a rare day that I don't smile driving it.
psychoslowmatic

Post by psychoslowmatic »

Op, I currently drive a 2004 VW Passat I've owned since new. JD Power rated my model (1.8T engine, AWD, automatic) the least reliable vehicle sold in America that year a few weeks after I bought it, which bothered me a bit after reading it. 150k miles later there have been two problems that I can definitely say weren't normal wear and tear, a window regulator broke and my throttle body went bad. Neither one stranded me, and the car's been great to me for a decade. I second the mazda3 recommendation, and would recommend you give the Fit a long test drive to make sure you fit in the Fit. I'm 6'1" and had the seat all the way back, and I think I'd still be uncomfortable on a long drive. If you like a sporty ride you should check out the Performance Pack for the GTI- bigger brakes, +10hp (meh) and a limited slip differential up front that's supposed to help the handling go from good to great.
NaOH

Post by NaOH »

How about a Focus ST/Fiesta ST?
"Are you flying? Or are you simply floating?"
Watty

Post by Watty »

Flobes wrote:
+1

Especially since you are comparing a used GTI to a new FIT.

This year Honda has a new sub-compact, the HR-V, coming out that is based on the FIT so you might keep that in mind too.

I have a 2010 Fit that I bought new and it has about 55K miles now and the only non-routine maintenance that I have had done on it was right before the primary warranty ran out I had the dealer fix a place where the carpet had come out from under a piece of the trim.
c078342

Post by c078342 »

There have been similar questions before, and I have answered with a question: Do you enjoy driving? Is it fun? Or is it a chore for you? Necessary to get from A to B? You have a Miata, so I expect the truth is you are some level of car guy (gal?). If so, the Fit is an abomination. As is the Prius. We've owned VW products for years, VWs, Audis, Porsches, and have had no reliability problems. Car magazines rate the GTI highly. Don't condemn yourself to boring driving.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I donated my Fit last April. I just about cried when they towed it. I loved driving that car.
Gordon
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

How long are you going to keep it? I don't think I'd try to run a VW for 150k+ unless I had a lot of time, patience, money, and a spare car.

Drive it for 2 years and sell it before 75k? Sure.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

gkaplan wrote:I donated my Fit last April. I just about cried when they towed it. I loved driving that car.
Hopefully you weren't in a serious accident, and if so, everyone is okay. I drive the Fit, but I also updated the beneficiaries on my life insurance the day after I bought it because I know if I get hit by anything that isn't a Smart car or a Scion IQ, I'm in some trouble. That is also another consideration, OP. You'd be safer in the GTI or another vehicle that is not the Fit. Although the new Fit is better, it is still a sub-compact and one of the smallest cars on the road. Although if you're constantly stuck in traffic and not going very fast, that might not matter so much. The Fit being small and nimble will probably help in making those lane changes. It is also great because I can literally park anywhere.
strafe

Post by strafe »

You're right, these could not be any more different.
The very fact that you're even asking this question tells me that you should get the GTI.

Sure the GTI's fuel economy, resale value and reliability will be slightly worse than the Fit. However, the Fit has a very specific purpose as a very practical subcompact car for dense, urban environments (its gas mileage isn't even that great). For what it's worth, I've known plenty of long-term GTI owners; they have had minimal problems over the years.
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

boroc7 wrote:This is truly a bizarre comparison, and the only thing in common is that they are 5 doors. So, my conclusion is to pass up on both the Fit (way too boring) as well as the GTI (unreliable, premium fuel, and higher insurance costs), and go with a used Mazda 3. Reliable, good mpg, and very fun car to drive. You have a Mazda, so why didn't you consider a 3? They're fantastic. You can go back two generations and they are all solid cars.
Not the OP here, but the fact that the Mazda3 doesn't appear to be available in a hatch is a non-starter for me. Wish it was. (Not true, see posts below, sorry.)

Agree with others that this isn't really a head-to-head. If it is one or the other, for sure the Fit, which I consider from my research to be one of the smartest vehicles one can buy/operate. But I think OP needs to go back and do a great deal more research on the vehicles in and around these classes, because there are many really interesting options.

Agree as well with Watty, the HR-V looks interesting, I consider it a Fit for people who are too embarassed to drive a Fit (basically same utility in terms of hatch, seating, etc but a bit more size, even the marketing is similar), though a recent CR article I read had one major negative, which is that the car is under-powered. Not much of an issue for me but it will be interesting to see how people like it. I saw one on the street the other day and it looked awesome, of course I was not in the US at the time.

OP, good for you for looking to buy a car like this. Tons of great options, take your time and really research, drive a bunch of stuff, become an expert on the class, then report back to us so we can learn from your experience!
Last edited by JLJL on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

Mazda 3 comes as a 5-door hatch and actually is a pretty solid contender to the GTI. I didn't like the smiley face of the prior generation grill fascia, but the new 2013 Mazda 3 update apparently is great.
http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage ... leCode=M3H

Mazda used to soup it up as a sportier Mazda3Speed version (think Golf --> GTI) with souped up engine/tuning, but that version is still TBD.
http://jalopnik.com/the-next-mazdaspeed ... 1626502421
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

arsenalfan wrote:Mazda 3 comes as a 5-door hatch and actually is a pretty solid contender to the GTI. I didn't like the smiley face of the prior generation grill fascia, but the new 2013 Mazda 3 update apparently is great.
http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage ... leCode=M3H

Mazda used to soup it up as a sportier Mazda3Speed version (think Golf --> GTI) with souped up engine/tuning, but that version is still TBD.
http://jalopnik.com/the-next-mazdaspeed ... 1626502421
Thanks for the clarification! Adding it to my list.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Good idea on the Mazda 3 hatchback. Very highly rated. More in line with the GTI as far as driving fun but should be better reliability. Consumer Reports has the GTI as top rated in the category last I checked though.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
terran

Post by terran »

You might consider the mazda 3.

The Fit felt like a "kids car" to us with a blingy light show around the gauges.
Topic Author
mortal

Post by mortal »

Just wanted to thank you all for the opinions. I find the diference of opinions interesting.

I know these cars are in two different class levels. That's because choosing between something sporty, and something cheap and cheerful is a big (and hard) part of the decision I'm thinking over.

The GTI is pretty much the only 'hot hatch' I'm considering, because it's the only one in it's class that comes with an automatic (required due to disability). I understand its a very good car, and does well in all the reviews I read, but volkswagen's reliability and dealership experience scare me a little.

If I do decide that I don't need a 'hot' hatch, you all are right that the mazda 3 is an excellent contender. I'd say between the two, the fit would win out. The mazda 3 handles well, and I'd imagine it's a bit safer. However the passenger / cargo volume is better in the fit, and the tech package is innovative. Reliability would tradionally go to honda, but given that production is in mexico, at a new plant, I'd say it's about equal given the fact that there are bugs to be worked out.

I've had cheap and cheerful cars endear me with their simple ruggedness and dependability. My dad has a 1985 toyota pickup that's been his hunting truck for decades, and it will rust to pieces before it stops running. The british show top gear went to extraordinary lengths to kill one just like it and failed (part 1 2 3).

On the otherhand the GTI could certainly be nice enough to drive to make up for the annoyance of repairs. I will say that even though I only use a fraction of the throttle during my daily commute the mere fact that the acceleration is there if I need it is a comfort too me. Have any of you went to a slower car and regretted it?

My apologies to all. Buying a car is a multi-year process of general indecisiveness for me ;)
Busting Myths

Post by Busting Myths »

OP,

I have owned my 2012 GTI for 3.5 years and 34k miles (bought new). When I purchased the GTI I also considered the Fit but purchased the GTI due to the better power, handling, and interior. The car is an excellent daily driver and have not regretted my purchase one bit. This generation of GTI's (6th gen) have been reliable*, for a German car, based on my experience and the GTI online community (check out golfmk6 forum). The turbocharged engine gives the car a lot of power at low RPM and the stated mileage is spot on (something a lot of new cars have trouble meeting). The interior is one of the best you will find at this price point and makes a Fit's interior look like it is made by Fisher Price.

*This generation of GTI's have two common problems which are intake manifolds and water pump failures. When these failures occur they are not catastrophic or cause a roadside breakdown. In both cases a warning light comes on and you can still drive the car until you repair it (sooner the better though). VW has revised these two parts during the production run and should not be an issue if you buy a 2012+ model. VW also extended the warranty on the intake manifolds to 10 years/120k miles for peace of mind. I had the water pump failure (covered under warranty) on my GTI but no issue with the intake manifold. If you find a car that already had the water pump replaced you should be fine.

From a purely financial perspective the Fit is most likely to be the cheaper car to operate in the long run. But if you like driving then the GTI is worth the inconvenience of dealing with the above referenced issues. Also, make sure to thoroughly test drive the GTI's DSG (automatic transmission). They do not have a torque converter so the car will not creep along at slow speeds and maybe a little jerky if you just stab the gas and brake.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

mortal wrote: If I do decide that I don't need a 'hot' hatch, you all are right that the mazda 3 is an excellent contender. I'd say between the two, the fit would win out. The mazda 3 handles well, and I'd imagine it's a bit safer. However the passenger / cargo volume is better in the fit, and the tech package is innovative. Reliability would tradionally go to honda, but given that production is in mexico, at a new plant, I'd say it's about equal given the fact that there are bugs to be worked out.
That's the thing, I am even more confused about your conclusions. The Mazda3 is very much a hot hatch, and nowhere at all like driving a Fit. Their 2.5 is a remarkable fwd performer, and has magnificent handling like most Mazdas. If you're concerned about power, get the Mazdaspeed (your budget indicated used pricing).

Regarding cargo space, with the seats up the Mazda3 has a good 20-25% cargo space more than the Fit. With the seats down, the Fit edges out insignificantly. Most people's needs are with the seats up anyhow.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

When I was younger, I chose a used Acura Integra GSR over a more sensible, newer, and more reliable economy car. I could not say no to more horsepower and fun. Not long into ownership, I was regretting my decision. The sportier engine that I so loved was grating my nerves on commutes to work because it was so loud. The premium fuel requirement and thirstier engine also cost me dearly as did maintenance. The tighter sport suspension that made driving fun just hurt my back on potholed streets.

After the Integra, I chose a Civic followed by a Prius. In both vehicles, I lamented how little power and fun they were compared to my beloved Integra. Not once did I regret my decision, though. I miss the added power, but I don't want the added cost and aggravation commuting to work.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Chevy Spark.
All the Best, | Joe
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

I too was considering those vehicles as well as a Mazda 3. They make a hatchback which I insist on. It gets better mileage than the GTI and is a lot more fun and better appointed than the FIT. I test drove the FIT and it felt cheap.

Give the Mazda 3 a try.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

The GTI is still an incredibly practical car.

It can carry 4 adults, and stuff, in comfort. It is 25-30k. It still gets 32-34mpg on highway doing 70-75mph.

All that, and it is faster than pretty much any sports car from the 80's, handles well, fairly quiet, nice interior.

If the GTI was 5-10k more, it would still be a pretty good value. I can't think of many cars I'd rather own, at ANY price. I would much rather drive a GTI than many cars that cost twice as much.

It will never be AS practical as a honda fit. But don't let that fact convince that it's still not an incredibly practical car and good value! If you can easily afford it, like cars, and would enjoy driving it - it probably makes sense.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

mortal wrote:Howdy folks,

So, in the next year or two I might be selling my miata, and buying a more practical car. I am particularly leaning buying a hatchback. I (think) I've narrowed it down to two contenders. A new Honda Fit, or a used 2012-2013 VW GTI.

Now, for those of you who aren't 'car people' these two hatches could not be more different.

The Fit is eminently practical and sensible. It gets great fuel economy (35 mpg), and has plenty of space for people (accord like leg room) and cargo.

The GTI trades efficency (27mpg) for power (220hp/250ft-lbs tq). It's 0-60 is 5.8s which is *quick* for a front wheel drive vehicle. It's only fault is VW's reliability issues.

I used to drive primarily on two lane back roads with limited opportunities to pass. There one absolutely needs power. Now, however, I drive on congested interstates and urban streets, and those ponies rarely leave the stable. It seems a waste to drive a 'sporty' car here.

So, the question that I have been running over in my head is, do I go for the 'nicer' car which could be more of a headache, or the more sensible, efficient one, that could be a bit more of an appliance? If you were in my situation, would you go with the fit, or the GTI?
OK

Some things which emerge here in discussion.

The new Fits have had many issues re reliability. You need to bottom on that. Check Consumer Reports and JD Power.

VWs? Yup the reliability/ cost of repair is an issue- -will be higher depreciation than the Honda. They are drivers' cars and you will enjoy that *if* you can make use of it.

Just realized you are talking a used GTI. Expect to drive it into the ground, get relatively little residual value. There's a big range of experiences out there re reliability. And yes service and spares will cost.

You might well want to widen your search of cars eg Toyotas and Mazdas.

Whatever you do buy, make sure you like driving it.
weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz »

deleted
Last edited by weltschmerz on Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amoeba

Post by amoeba »

Wife currently owns a GTI. Gas mileage is not too bad, a bit worse than a Camry or Accord. It is a lot of fun and there is a lot of space in both the back seats and the storage hatch.

Some other suggestions : Last gen Subaru Impreza WRX. Ford Focus ST. Wait for the 2016 Honda Civic Type R.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

amoeba wrote:Wife currently owns a GTI. Gas mileage is not too bad, a bit worse than a Camry or Accord. It is a lot of fun and there is a lot of space in both the back seats and the storage hatch.

Some other suggestions : Last gen Subaru Impreza WRX. Ford Focus ST. Wait for the 2016 Honda Civic Type R.

Nice thing about the GTI or Golf R (for some of us) vs other "hot hatches" is the look. Less "boy racer" , no wings, air-scoops, or that kind of thing.
TexasPenny

Post by TexasPenny »

My husband has a 2009 GTI and it has been very good to him. He had one issue with the throttle body that was fixed very quickly and that's been it. He has about 62k miles on it and it is his commuter car. He is quite the driver and loves the speed, peppiness, and ease of parking. I have a Chevy Cruze and when I'm following him somewhere he really has to watch his acceleration from a stop. That thing can go! Now he is waiting for the Golf Rs to be in general release (only 500 were released for pre-order). Don't get me started on the price, but I know he'll take good care of it. I looked into getting a FIT when they came out, but it felt very cheap inside. I don't like the styling of the current model at all. I guess you'll just have to test drive them and find out how they feel to you.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Ah, now the Golf R, that is another matter entirely. In my book, the Golf R And GTI are completely different machines. I know lots of people who hate how the GTI drives but love the R. Pretty penny though.

I was looking at the Fit yesterday, and trying to understand their cargo numbers. Looks so tiny in there, I don't know how they get to 52 cubic ft layer down. Are they including like the passenger seat folded down too? Sounds like some voodoo going on when compared to other subcompact hatches.
tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting »

The GTI is the original hot hatch. My son loves his GTI (older model), but it does have reliability issues. I love my 2012 manual Fit Sport, plenty fun yet practical too (the manual transmission ups the fun factor). My brother loves his new Fiat 500.

Spend some time on the respective owner forums to get a good assessment of these cars and make the right choice for you.
It's Good To Be A Boglehead
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

Spend some time looking around Consumer Reports and TrueDelta to determine which factors are most important to you (the latter has features the former doesn't offer, including adjusted package cost comparisons and an increasingly robust reliability engine that separates recalls and memory flashes from actual repairs).

And there's nothing wrong with shopping for cars outside of each other's "standard" comparison lines. My (retired) folks are currently cross shopping a Civic, an i3, a Miata, and a Lexus IS. I think they'll end up with a plug in Accord. Enjoy!
Polymath.
Runner01

Post by Runner01 »

Stonebr wrote:
matjen wrote:But the GTI still gets very good mileage and its reliability is not too bad for a German car.
The Fit will be a boring drive -- handling, braking and acceleration barely adequate.
I personally would disagree. My wife's 5 spd 2007 Fit is a blast to drive. Sure, the power isn't there but the handling and overall feel of the car on twisty roads is comparable to the NB Miata I used to own. Then again, it could just be that my daily driver is a boring automatic midsize sedan.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I own a 2009 Fit. It's very practical, and fun to drive with a manual transmission. I believe it can outperform a Ferrari on certain lane change tests. I do my own maintenance, and it never has problems.

Its garage mate is an '04 VW Beetle, based on a Golf of course. It's a nicer built, more expensive car, I'll give it that. But, everything from changing light bulbs to the battery is a nightmare. It has problems crop up now and then, nothing major. I've spent 1.5 days changing a failed door latch. (The car had the ability to lock the kids in the car, due to the fancy door latch getting confused.) A class action lawsuit applied to water leaks, which we have, but it's expired. Expect no goodwill from the dealer or corporate. If we put a lot of miles on the car, I'm sure we'd see bigger failures.

Fans will say new VW's are different, until a catastrophic event happens outside the warranty.

I'd buy what you want. Just expect things to break more with the VW.
bb

Post by bb »

I absolutely loved the GTI.

I bought a camry.
kcaug

Post by kcaug »

I own a 2004 GTI. I bought it new and have put 215,000 miles on it. I LOVE how it drives and the hatchback functionality. I hate the dealerships (they are criminals) and reliability. I have done a bunch of work on it myself to save money. I will not buy another VW. Wife's Honda Civic is way more reasonable with repairs and maintenance.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Car & Driver just issued a report on their long term Fit. I would much rather have a 2 year old GTI. 3500-4000 RPM at highway speeds in a very poorly insulated car would annoy me to no end. Still, it serves its purpose as an urban utility vehicle.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... ate-review

"Noise, both of the road and engine variety, bothers many of the Fit’s drivers. At 80 mph (a legal speed in some states and a probably-won’t-be-stopped speed in most), the engine turns a frenetic 4000 rpm, which gets old on long journeys. The fuel tank is small, meaning frequent trips to the pump on those same treks, and the yellow refill-or-die light comes on with almost three gallons still in the tank, or about 100 miles of range—nearly 30 percent of the tank’s total capacity. If you’re the nervous, compulsive type who simply cannot ignore a premature dashboard warning light, then the Fit will hound you into spending much of your life at fuel stations. On the 2400-mile trek from Ann Arbor to the West Coast, our hapless road warrior stopped 13 times for fuel."
Ged

Post by Ged »

Average Investor wrote: Fiat 500 is worth a drive as well, not sure about reliability.
Fiats were DEAD LAST in reliability in the last Consumer Reports survey.

http://jalopnik.com/fiat-chrysler-brand ... 1651337569
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

matjen wrote:Car & Driver just issued a report on their long term Fit. I would much rather have a 2 year old GTI. 3500-4000 RPM at highway speeds in a very poorly insulated car would annoy me to no end. Still, it serves its purpose as an urban utility vehicle.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... ate-review

"Noise, both of the road and engine variety, bothers many of the Fit’s drivers. At 80 mph (a legal speed in some states and a probably-won’t-be-stopped speed in most), the engine turns a frenetic 4000 rpm, which gets old on long journeys. The fuel tank is small, meaning frequent trips to the pump on those same treks, and the yellow refill-or-die light comes on with almost three gallons still in the tank, or about 100 miles of range—nearly 30 percent of the tank’s total capacity. If you’re the nervous, compulsive type who simply cannot ignore a premature dashboard warning light, then the Fit will hound you into spending much of your life at fuel stations. On the 2400-mile trek from Ann Arbor to the West Coast, our hapless road warrior stopped 13 times for fuel."
First of all, I would not use Car and Driver to evaluate a car that I was thinking of buying.

Second of all, none of the metrics mentioned above matter to me.
Gordon
matjen

Post by matjen »

gkaplan wrote: First of all, I would not use Car and Driver to evaluate a car that I was thinking of buying.
Why anyone would not use Car and Driver as a source of information is beyond me but to each his/her own. I'm not saying it is necessarily the best or only information but it is certainly a very valid data point. This is especially true for a long term test vehicle. I would say it is JUST A BIT more valuable than an anonymous finance board. LOL.
gkaplan wrote:Second of all, none of the metrics mentioned above matter to me.
55 MPH in the left lane with your turn signal blinking for 10 miles type of driver...? Makes sense. :wink:
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

The Fit is solid. In the higher trim levels, it has a pretty decent interior for such an inexpensive sub-compact. The GTI is popular for a reason, though.